Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New ideas for Leader bike for 2009 and 2010

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New ideas for Leader bike for 2009 and 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 11:19 AM
Hip-star

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never said to copy it in steel, just throwing out a suggestion
Old 03-24-09, 11:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<====Votes for a GT-B replica
Old 03-24-09, 12:17 PM
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of a clean frame with maybe one bottle mount with the option of threaded or threadless forks. Powder coated, and I also like the option to have different color schemes (headtube/downtube in alt. colors). Let's not make this a big BMX bike.
Old 03-24-09, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADSR
I like the idea of a clean frame with maybe one bottle mount with the option of threaded or threadless forks. Powder coated, and I also like the option to have different color schemes (headtube/downtube in alt. colors). Let's not make this a big BMX bike.

why not? haha

everyone loves a bike you can toss around
Old 03-24-09, 10:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iansmash

***ignore the waterbottle**

this is a general idea of what I would want to see

-straight bladed, thick legged fork for stiffness and strength jumping curbs
-big oversized tubes for combating dents from cabs and phantom doors
-steep headtube for snappy steering
-lax seat tube angle for wheelies! (also just more comfortable position)
-tucked up rear wheel
-triple triangle for style points!
-longer top tube, designed to be used w/ 50mm stem (bmx stem/bars for example) gives barspin clearance...effective cockpit will be same length as a normal sized frame

I think this bike would be a blast to ride, it would look incredible, and be extremely effective for daily use in the city for commuting/courier use
Originally Posted by seedubs1
<====Votes for a GT-B replica
+1. id like to see it as a affinity/GTB mixture
Old 03-24-09, 10:14 PM

Bikes: Leader

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cord13
+1. id like to see it as a affinity/GTB mixture
Maybe we should make three styles. if we were to make the geometry 73 in the back and 74 in the front with a downward slope, do feel we should do this on the bmx style frame? This project could be reality very soon. anybody feel free to chime in. Leader wants to get these models made soon.

Brian
Old 03-24-09, 10:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeaderBike
Maybe we should make three styles. if we were to make the geometry 73 in the back and 74 in the front with a downward slope, do feel we should do this on the bmx style frame? This project could be reality very soon. anybody feel free to chime in. Leader wants to get these models made soon.

Brian
Yes!

However, I love the feel of my 725TR w/ 75 degree head tube and 35mm rake fork...the handling is incredible!
Old 03-24-09, 10:29 PM
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great questions!

JMHOs:

Kill the gusset idea. Look at what's been proven to work. 99% of the bikes you see posted in here aren't gusseted, and they hold up to the abuse of messengers and guys that like to do tricks, just fine.

Pursuit geometry???!!!! Again, how many people do you see riding a bike with that type of geometry on a daily basis? Not many. Just stick with flat top tubes and maybe, the slightest slope towards the headtube. Yes, there is a market for pursuit bikes, and it's a very small one. Doesn't seem like a sound business decision to put money into new designs that limit their marketability.

Many color choices is a good thing! I'm just not too sure about the glittery, sparkly stuff.............. White, black, red, yellow and blue as standard colors, and all of the preorder colors as small($10-20) upgrade colors. I am going for paint, but powder is so darned indestructible, but much more expensive!

As others have stated before, put the stickers over the paint/powdercoat so they are easily removable! Although, I'd rather see a sticker pack sent with the bike and let me choose where and how many I want to put on my bike! You never know, a lot of them may end up on people's cars! That's good, free advertising for you guys!

1 1/8 Headtubes! There are only a handful, if that, of headsets for 1" headtubes. The amount of stems available is even crappier! NO INTEGRATED HEADSETS!!!!! There are just so many more options available with the threadless type! Sweet Acros', Kings, etc. The idea for the threaded headsets is fine for a retro bike, but then it will have a more classic geometry and styling, and aerotubes don't fit that description. It'll end up looking out of place and disjointed!
Old 03-24-09, 10:51 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The colors need to be simple and appeal to many people. Crazy paint schemes will be a seller for a few, but they won't appeal to most. If you pick really nice shades of simple solid colors they will sell like crazy.

The bareknuckle is an awesome style of frame. If you could do something similarly styled, for less coin, you would have a huge market.

Simple is good.

Old 03-25-09, 01:52 AM
nitrogen fixation.

Bikes: Quite a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Ian's idea of the frame, the Cannondale replicas would also be really nice!
Old 03-25-09, 02:23 AM
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not? haha

everyone loves a bike you can toss around
That's true, and that's how come steel frames. I just get the image in my head of a frame that's the worst of both worlds. You'll get that gussets, thick tubing, and extremely reinforced, utilitarian look of a BMX with the ungainliness and inherent fragility of a 700c frameset. Prolly is already dropping a FGFS frame, and it looks like poop. I wouldn't commute on it, and I'm sure a lot of folks share my sentiments. I'd like a frame that's nimble, fast, durable for locking up, and looks elegant. I'm sure they can make it able to barspin, but it just sounds too nice so far to shoehorn into such a niche market.
Old 03-25-09, 02:30 AM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
engineer a frame solution so it becomes impossible for people to do this:

in all honesty i think you are doing fine with the current lineup.

either keep prices as low as possible, or offer as many colors as possible. i would buy a 725tr frame if i wasn't absolutely thrilled with my kilo. or, if the 725tr came in more colors, or if it was a little cheaper with the current color selection, or if it was lighter. i'm a lightweight so i don't need a strong freestyle type frame. i like aluminum bikes but i don't see people buying into a lot more choices, they already have a ton when it comes to steel and your lineup between the 20,21,25, and 35 is enough choice. just need more colors.

Last edited by cc700; 03-25-09 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSBully
Great questions!

JMHOs:

Kill the gusset idea. Look at what's been proven to work. 99% of the bikes you see posted in here aren't gusseted, and they hold up to the abuse of messengers and guys that like to do tricks, just fine.

Pursuit geometry???!!!! Again, how many people do you see riding a bike with that type of geometry on a daily basis? Not many. Just stick with flat top tubes and maybe, the slightest slope towards the headtube. Yes, there is a market for pursuit bikes, and it's a very small one. Doesn't seem like a sound business decision to put money into new designs that limit their marketability.

Many color choices is a good thing! I'm just not too sure about the glittery, sparkly stuff.............. White, black, red, yellow and blue as standard colors, and all of the preorder colors as small($10-20) upgrade colors. I am going for paint, but powder is so darned indestructible, but much more expensive!

As others have stated before, put the stickers over the paint/powdercoat so they are easily removable! Although, I'd rather see a sticker pack sent with the bike and let me choose where and how many I want to put on my bike! You never know, a lot of them may end up on people's cars! That's good, free advertising for you guys!

1 1/8 Headtubes! There are only a handful, if that, of headsets for 1" headtubes. The amount of stems available is even crappier! NO INTEGRATED HEADSETS!!!!! There are just so many more options available with the threadless type! Sweet Acros', Kings, etc. The idea for the threaded headsets is fine for a retro bike, but then it will have a more classic geometry and styling, and aerotubes don't fit that description. It'll end up looking out of place and disjointed!

IMO, your opinion is a little out of whack here for a couple of reasons...no offense or anything but I have some counterpoints I'd like to make.

1. Gussets: Many guys are breaking their bikes, especially the hardcore trick guys. I realize that the leader bike will probably have higher quality than some of the bikes that are commonly broken (SE frames) but still...Gussets weigh very little and won't be hurting anybody.

2. Pursuit Geometry on the street: I think the lack of pursuit frames on the street is a direct result of availability. There are the Affinity cycles, which are quite expensive, and then old used pursuit frames, which were rare AND expensive. There is no inexpensive one on the market.

That said, I don't think the frame should have very aggressive pursuit stance, just a minor drop, (sub 5 degree) from the seat tube to the head tube.

3. Glittery paint jobs WILL be popular! I'm very confident of this. Again, bikes are rarely offered in off the wall paint schemes, which is why many people don't opt for them!
Old 03-25-09, 07:49 AM
Street Pharmacist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would like to see a model that is more like the bareknuckle. Tight geo, simple, classy... but make it less $$
Old 03-25-09, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pennywize
i would like to see a model that is more like the bareknuckle. Tight geo, simple, classy... but make it less $$

Only if it has a better looking fork! haha
Old 03-25-09, 04:41 PM
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, your opinion is a little out of whack here for a couple of reasons...no offense or anything but I have some counterpoints I'd like to make.

1. Gussets: Many guys are breaking their bikes, especially the hardcore trick guys. I realize that the leader bike will probably have higher quality than some of the bikes that are commonly broken (SE frames) but still...Gussets weigh very little and won't be hurting anybody.

2. Pursuit Geometry on the street: I think the lack of pursuit frames on the street is a direct result of availability. There are the Affinity cycles, which are quite expensive, and then old used pursuit frames, which were rare AND expensive. There is no inexpensive one on the market.

That said, I don't think the frame should have very aggressive pursuit stance, just a minor drop, (sub 5 degree) from the seat tube to the head tube.

3. Glittery paint jobs WILL be popular! I'm very confident of this. Again, bikes are rarely offered in off the wall paint schemes, which is why many people don't opt for them!
I can definitely appreciate the counterpoints, as this healthy discussion is how products get better and people can share ideas! Now my turn! haha

While I do agree that some bike need gusseting, if you look at the leader desings as they currently stand, the toptube and downtube join before the neck, effectively acting as their own gusset. Adding additional gussets would make it look too "bulky"?

Ahhhhh the old, it's not available, therefore nobody can effectively buy it, argument. I call it the "Field of Dreams" argument, build it and they will come. I do believe that if the market existed and if it were really in high demand, it would have been done already! However, we do agree that a little more aggressive geometry could be helpful, and we agree that the it would be a minor slope, <5 degs.

I'm not saying don't offer the glitter, just not as one of the "standard" colors. Make them an upgraded color and charge $10-20 more those colors.
Old 03-25-09, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSBully
I can definitely appreciate the counterpoints, as this healthy discussion is how products get better and people can share ideas! Now my turn! haha

While I do agree that some bike need gusseting, if you look at the leader desings as they currently stand, the toptube and downtube join before the neck, effectively acting as their own gusset. Adding additional gussets would make it look too "bulky"?

Ahhhhh the old, it's not available, therefore nobody can effectively buy it, argument. I call it the "Field of Dreams" argument, build it and they will come. I do believe that if the market existed and if it were really in high demand, it would have been done already! However, we do agree that a little more aggressive geometry could be helpful, and we agree that the it would be a minor slope, <5 degs.

I'm not saying don't offer the glitter, just not as one of the "standard" colors. Make them an upgraded color and charge $10-20 more those colors.

Fair enough, I agree with most of these things.

I think when it comes down to it, a ot of people are resistant to the pursuit geometry because they're afraid that it will be too hard to ride when they finally get it, but most people have never ridden steep/pursuit geometry before. Either way, with the small slope like that, it would hardly be difficult to set it up to fit just fine.

I drew up the design I posted in bikecad with specific measurements and angles in mind...not just arbitrary features to make it look cool. It features all of the things I initially mentioned in my first post and it looks damn good to me haha
Old 03-25-09, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only if it has a better looking fork! haha
That's funny, I think the bareknuckle has the best looking fork of any steel frame I have seen. That's one of the reasons I like them so much.
Old 03-25-09, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Litespeed ultegra 6600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont bother w/ NJS if you're not an NJS company, its pointless to narrow it down to a field that you're not aiming at, by allowing a wider range and more common styles you're bound to make more ppl happy!
Old 03-25-09, 10:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: fixed iro jamie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys should sell a complete build around the 3 speed fixed sturmey archer hub that is about to be released. an aluminum bike similar to the jamie roy, and put fat slicks on it. the perfect urban commuter fixed.
Old 03-25-09, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to see a triple triangle frame. iansmash's idea is pretty sweet.
mbhakti's color scheme is good to.
Old 03-25-09, 10:10 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Maybe ditch the idea of trying to shape the top tube and downtube and use a higher quality steel like let's say tange prestige.

Don't make it compatible with only one type of crown. From where I came from, it's been viewed as a bad business move to make things proprietary.
Old 03-25-09, 10:39 PM
It's vintage, bro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you have a monopoly like Cisco does then it's all gravy.

I'd like to seem something similar to the curves of this beautiful Yamaguchi. Though I doubt the price range you are aiming at will be met.

As far as paint schemes, I agree you should offer the popular base colors like black, red, blue, green, yellow, etc. Then option for some flakes/sparkles can be added for a few extra bucks. Decals should not be under the clear coat or better yet as someone mentioned above, leave the decals aside for the owner to place anywhere they would like.

Last edited by Darwin401k; 03-25-09 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd really like a complete bike, something in between bikes direct and big name companies as far as price/specs go.
Old 03-25-09, 10:50 PM

Bikes: IRO mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make a triple triangle/ gt-b replica and i will buy it. guaranteed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.