Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I'm ready to admit I was wrong, but was I?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I'm ready to admit I was wrong, but was I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, was I over reacting? Well.........

Drivers don't see motorcycles so why would they see you? A good portion of the time they don't even see other cars.

An old bike rider said to me 40 years ago;

"Your fault, their fault, nodody's fault, whatever happens to you is your responsibility. If for no other reason than you didn't get out of the way."

It's kept me alive, even when jerks intentionally tried to hit me.

It happens, you can tell when they smile.
Old 10-09-18, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Jefferson House
"Your fault, their fault, nodody's fault, whatever happens to you is your responsibility. If for no other reason than you didn't get out of the way."

It's kept me alive, even when jerks intentionally tried to hit me.

It happens, you can tell when they smile.
Other than people on bicycles, is there ANYONE ELSE we blame exclusively for their injuries?

Just wondering.

Waiting for current events to catch up with A&S.....

-mr. bill
Old 10-10-18, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than people on bicycles, is there ANYONE ELSE we blame exclusively for their injuries?

Just wondering.

Waiting for current events to catch up with A&S.....

mr. bill; Having to explain something as simple as personal responsibility seams extremely odd to me. The last time I had to do this was years ago when my son was 5 years old.

So have you never learned to pay attention to what goes on around you or to develop you own sense of survival? Other people or things in this world will interact with you whether you like it or not. Sometimes to your own detriment.

I've lived to seniority by taking responsibility for my own safety, not going through life in my own little world expecting everyone else to look out for me. I have found it more beneficial to pay attention and get myself out of the way, than to go through life with blind self-righteousness and blame someone else when I get hurt.

Other peoples actions are their responsibility. They may be responsible for damages or injuries inflicted upon me. But I'm responsible for looking out for myself and attempting to avoid those incidents.

Now that I have explained this to you as I had my 5 year old child decades back, something I never expected to do with an adult, I hope you understand and have a long and uninjured life.

Or is it more fun being all alone in your self-righteous little world?
Old 10-10-18, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think this thread started out because the OP felt a little upset over the whole incident (a big adrenaline dump will usually do that) and wasn't sure if he over-reacted ... or rather, if turning his shock and fear into anger aimed at the driver was just and fair.

I'd say, both were at fault, and over-reaction is to be expected in a situation like that.

It is never going to feel good ... even if the other party were 100 percent at fault, I think most pf us would look at what we might have done differently .... and rarely is anyone 100 percent at fault .... and in any case "fault" is after the fact. A close call is always going to leave bad feelings, because we are reminded of our vulnerability---our mortality. Never fun to realize how near death always is, and how inevitable.
Old 11-02-18, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon (2016); Trek Multi-Track 750 (1996 I think)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong Side Sidewinder

Wrong side / Right side. The rider was on the sidewalk. I ride on the sidewalk when riding on busy streets because I figure it is safer, especially since I ride when drivers are in a hurry or tired. That is on my commute. It is not all one sided, though. Here is the problem riding on the sidewalk and it holds true when riding on bike paths that are separated from the street: Motorists often don't look for you. You travel much faster than pedestrians, so it can appear to them that you came out of nowhere. Also cars looking to turn from a side street onto a busy street are concentrating on vehicle traffic. Furthermore, they tend to stop at the street instead of behind the sidewalk where the stop sign is. It is wrong, but you need to be aware. Whatever the law is, you are vulnerable. If you want to make it to your destination instead of the local hospital, you need to be ready to stop at every intersection, especially when riding on the sidewalk.

I live in Michigan, and in Michigan it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. I could care less. At 7am riding on 14 mile road, I'm on the sidewalk. I'll pay the bloody fine, though I have been doing it for years an no cop has ever given me grief about it

Last edited by Mark Ainsworth; 11-02-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon (2016); Trek Multi-Track 750 (1996 I think)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott S: You run in the street? Brave man.
Old 11-03-18, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This, and this again.

First off .... short, simple sentences. Second, make sure that you use either just one system of location/direction throughout, or use both everywhere. "I was going east on the north side and turning left while he was turning left on my right" needs a diagram .... which is another good plan.

Krane XL is right this time---the driver should always yield and check ahead before and while turning---but if you were making an illegal turn ...

were you in a crosswalk? Were you jaywalking? Were you coming off a sidewalk and onto a a road?

But the meat of the nut is this---You Were Going the Wrong Way---or so you say. Your explanation is so convoluted it is not worth it to me to figure it out.

I am not trying to give you a hard time.
This. Riding (when I absolutely have to) in downtown Toronto I will sometimes go wrong way on a one way street but always yield to traffic/pedestrians in those circumstances. Struth, drivers have a tough enough time checking for us where we are supposed to be, let alone popping up out of nowhere. Playing chicken with another vehicle when you are driving one is one thing, highway traffic codes, the courts and lawyers can sort out fault later. It's bloody suicide on a bike even when we should have right of way. Maybe worth taking a chance if those few seconds will get you a contract with a UCI team.

Caveat: I started replying after reading only the first 2 posts in the thread then went back to catch up. Some very good and sage advice in here - especially about being DEAD RIGHT. Safety first in skiing, rugby, cycling, everything.

My near miss: Riding back in to tToronto on Lakeshore through Long Branch I'm in the bike lane doing about 25-30 km/h (70km in to an 80km ride). Car passes me then about 3 car lengths ahead she decides to pull in to a parking spot without signalling, really quick like. One of the cars honks, i apply brakes, lock up my rear wheel and slide into her sideways, foot first to protect my legs (I'm a skier, i can unclip really quickly...). Only a slight teat to my gloves. Her boyfriend pops out the seat passenger side and says "sorry man, we didn't see you." I almost effin' pounded him but I had to get away quickly as I felt the red mist come down and I'd have been looking at aggravated assault and battery at a minimum if I had "gone red". Another bloke 9cyclist, wa carrying a wheel) was walking by on the sidewalk. First tore a strip out of me for not taking the idiots' plates and reporting it. the gave it top them for being braindead. It was there fault, 100% but that's pale shelter to me if I ended up in hospital. If it was a truck? I'd have gone under the thing and then good chance the wheels are crushing me.
Old 11-03-18, 11:24 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by lesiz
Picture a CAR going the wrong way down a street. Does that seem wrong?
A bike going the wrong direction is JUST AS WRONG.

Do you drive your car on the wrong side of the street if it suits your convenience.

As in many cases there is fault of both sides. But what you did is egregious.
I go the wrong way on certain stretches of road on my bike when I won't do it in a car. It may be just as wrong, but I am much less likely to hurt anyone on a bike if I miscalculate. I am also much less likely to be ticketed by a cop if I do it on a bike. Those differences matter.

Do you ever filter to the front at an intersection?
Old 11-03-18, 12:54 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Ainsworth
Scott S: You run in the street? Brave man.
Running on the sidewalk, but in the salmon direction will pretty much ensure a car coming out of a driveway (typ. a parking lot exit) will pull across the sidewalk without seeing you. More so on a bike.

scott s.