Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 11:32 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Ok here you go
Thanks for the pic, and I hope it didn't come across that I didn't believe it was stamped as claimed; I genuinely wanted to see how it was executed. Just makes it all the more cool IMHO

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-23-19, 12:24 AM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Nice job, paint looks great. I certainly would've been fooled without a closer look. Good idea on the "replica" stamping as well.

As far as an actual 3rensho frame goes, you're mistaken if you think the cheapest you can get one is for $1400. On ebay, yeah, prices will be high, but you should look at the Japanese Yahoo Auctions page. For example I see a few 3rensho Super Record Export frames in really great condition for $375-700 on Yahoo Auctions now. There are sites like Jauce where you can purchase Yahoo Auctions bikes and they will automatically ship it internationally to you for about $200. So you're looking at about $600-900 for a frame. Not super cheap, but a lot better than $1400. Keep in mind that sites like Jauce will generally only ship frames, not complete bikes. I've used Jauce a couple times and they are very reliable and pack well.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/k429685458
https://www.jauce.com/auction/n390054251
https://www.jauce.com/auction/l548910914

OK, I'm done enabling
Interesting that bike in third link bears serial number on lower left of seat tube. Also serial number appears to not entail frame size. I've not seen a 3Rensho like this before. Anyone seen one like this before?
Old 12-23-19, 12:59 AM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I often wonder what will happen when someone decades from now comes across a frame that's been Gugie-fied or received the René Hubris treatment. I know my Holdsworth/Claud is one of those modified frames from a bygone era, and it's rewarded me with hours of head-scratching amusement

I think it's all a lot of good fun.
Old 12-23-19, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Looks like the resident Spanish Inquisitors can put the pitchforks away now, seeing as the frame is carrying a permanent disclaimer.

I do find it fairly amusing that most upper mid-range Japanese/Taiwanese frames from the 1980's are built so nicely and consistently that they can pull off the look of a handbuilt grail bike from 10 feet away.

You can't do that with a 1970's Raleigh

-Kurt
I know there will be haters, there always is no mater what the project. Look at how many fake muscle cars are out there, 6 cyl Mustangs turned into big block Shelby's, Base model Dodge Challengers turned into Hemi cars and sold for 100's of thousands of dollars. Some people try to profit from it while others are just having fun building something they otherwise would not be able to have.
Old 12-23-19, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Looks like the resident Spanish Inquisitors can put the pitchforks away now, seeing as the frame is carrying a permanent disclaimer.

I do find it fairly amusing that most upper mid-range Japanese/Taiwanese frames from the 1980's are built so nicely and consistently that they can pull off the look of a handbuilt grail bike from 10 feet away.

You can't do that with a 1970's Raleigh

-Kurt
That may not stop them although it doesn't seem to be ramping up as it has before, we shall see.

As far as I'm concerned it already had the disclaimer, original S/N tells the tale plain and simple, and as CV-6 points out, anyone looking for a 3R should know exactly what they are looking at, there should be no confusion whatsoever.

The added stamping certainly adds another level to the equation.

Refering to Raleigh, aside from production "inconsistencies" they speak for themselves, very distinct and identifiable, even model to model were very different for the most part.
Old 12-23-19, 08:51 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
I know there will be haters, there always is no mater what the project. Look at how many fake muscle cars are out there, 6 cyl Mustangs turned into big block Shelby's, Base model Dodge Challengers turned into Hemi cars and sold for 100's of thousands of dollars. Some people try to profit from it while others are just having fun building something they otherwise would not be able to have.
The haters have no leg to stand on with that "REPLICA" stamped in the BB. It leaves no room for confusion, which forms their main argument against replicas in the first place. Hard to get bent out of shape when the word is on the bike.

It's relatively easy to oust a Ford fake, plus you have the Marti Report system to help verify inaccuracies - and honest clones don't have illegal VIN swaps. It's easier and more likely to get burned on a cheap respray that looks good, but has a rotted out cowl under the dash.

It is the Mopars that are absolutely ripe for hucksters executing body swaps, especially since a faked build sheet can't be verified with anyone other than Galen Govier - who doesn't advertise pricing. I can't speak for GMs.

Originally Posted by merziac
That may not stop them although it doesn't seem to be ramping up as it has before, we shall see.

As far as I'm concerned it already had the disclaimer, original S/N tells the tale plain and simple, and as CV-6 points out, anyone looking for a 3R should know exactly what they are looking at, there should be no confusion whatsoever.

The added stamping certainly adds another level to the equation.

Refering to Raleigh, aside from production "inconsistencies" they speak for themselves, very distinct and identifiable, even model to model were very different for the most part.
Exactly (on all counts).

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-23-19, 08:54 AM

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Turned out great! I love your spray jig.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-23-19, 09:43 AM

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
It does look great. Heck it is YOUR bike and do what you will. That disclaimer is a big warning to any future owner anyways.
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 12-23-19, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the favorable comments. Hopefully I can get it together and rideable in January. I have all the parts I'm using but need to clean them and respoke the wheels since the spokes are dull and the nipples corroded.
Likes For cdaniels:
Old 12-23-19, 12:22 PM
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
I went the other direction with a replica build. I moved to Chico for school in 1976 with the full Campy Raleigh Professional Mk II I had just ridden on Bikecentennial. I had repainted it orange after a criterium crash and related repairs a few years earlier. For Chico, I put on Schwinn Continental decals. I recall stopping at a bike shop there to pick up a small bit. A mechanic took a long, quizzical look at my bike and said, "Where did you find a Schwinn Continental with lugs?" I responded, of course, that I had created fake lugs by grinding away the tubing with a Dremel tool. The guy bought my explanation. At least one other shop employee had caught on to what I was doing and was quietly cracking up. That poor gullible mechanic probably caught ****e for weeks for being so magnificently pranked.
Likes For drpaddle:
Old 12-23-19, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanks for the favorable comments. Hopefully I can get it together and rideable in January. I have all the parts I'm using but need to clean them and respoke the wheels since the spokes are dull and the nipples corroded.
Make it so, looks great.

You could clean spokes/nipples with careful cleaning using Brasso, Never Dull or Turtle Wax chrome polish/rust remover, steel/brass wool and fine brass bristle brush.

Often IME, most/all comes off pretty easy with patience.
Old 12-23-19, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by merziac
Make it so, looks great.

You could clean spokes/nipples with careful cleaning using Brasso, Never Dull or Turtle Wax chrome polish/rust remover, steel/brass wool and fine brass bristle brush.

Often IME, most/all comes off pretty easy with patience.
I usually would but some spokes are a different "shade" than others, possibly replaced. The nipples are turning green and slightly fuzzy. I would rather get new ones and relace the wheels. The hubs and rims are good just dirty.
Old 12-23-19, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Hmm, no one seemed to object when I turned this 1970s Raleigh Sports:

Into this 1930s Raleigh Sports for a VeloCheapo contest:

Old 12-23-19, 02:03 PM

I usually would but some spokes are a different "shade" than others, possibly replaced. The nipples are turning green and slightly fuzzy. I would rather get new ones and relace the wheels. The hubs and rims are good just dirty.
No worries, it will of course look that much better with new wheels, going to be stunning.
Old 12-23-19, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Hmm, no one seemed to object when I turned this 1970s Raleigh Sports:

Into this 1930s Raleigh Sports for a VeloCheapo contest:

It was a Raleigh to begin with.
Old 12-23-19, 02:20 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It was a Raleigh to begin with.
Neat build but no comparison to the OP's brand change.

You essentially have a Raleigh that's back dated. And I LIKE it!
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 12-23-19, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Okay, then, how about this Campania

Campania_v1_4.jpg

that I turned into a Photiou?

Campania_v2_3.jpg

Campania_v2_4.jpg

Or this Raleigh Capri

VeloCheapo2010_1.jpg

That I turned into a Roberta?

VeloCheapo2010_Entry004_4.jpg

VeloCheapo2010_Entry004_7.jpg
Old 12-23-19, 02:38 PM
Banned

^^
Those are way neato builds. That said, long after we're all gone- no one will be able to come after you for making the bastids... YOU FRAUDsters. Lol
Old 12-23-19, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Neat build but no comparison to the OP's brand change.

You essentially have a Raleigh that's back dated. And I LIKE it!
Specialized put their name on Rensho frames to make the original Allez. Bianchi sold bikes made by someone in Japan. Giant built frames for many other companies. Many bicycle companies have some or all their frames made by other companies and put their name on them. Essentially what I did only on a very large scale. Even Chevrolet puts their name on foreign cars to market here in the USA.
Old 12-23-19, 02:43 PM
Banned

Specialized put their name on Rensho frames to make the original Allez. Bianchi sold bikes made by someone in Japan. Giant built frames for many other companies. Many bicycle companies have some or all their frames made by other companies and put their name on them. Essentially what I did only on a very large scale. Even Chevrolet puts their name on foreign cars to market here in the USA.
Hold on here.... so now you're acting as cdaniels bike Inc.

I'm not knocking your work, just not seeing your justification. And of course I know of cross polination of bike makers, just like millions of other products.

Cheers
Old 12-23-19, 02:53 PM

Hold on here.... so now you're acting as cdaniels bike Inc.

I'm not knocking your work, just not seeing your justification. And of course I know of cross polination of bike makers, just like millions of other products.

Cheers
We may have both misunderstood each other. I am not trying to act like anything, but when you stated "Neat build but no comparison to the OP's brand change" I took it as you are saying I am doing something I shouldn't by changing brand names on a frame. I was pointing out that it is not unusual in big bike business. I am no bike company and am not selling it to make a profit. My justification is simply having some fun with an old frame that would have ended up in the trash pile.
Old 12-23-19, 02:59 PM

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
We may have both misunderstood each other. I am not trying to act like anything, but when you stated "Neat build but no comparison to the OP's brand change" I took it as you are saying I am doing something I shouldn't by changing brand names on a frame. I was pointing out that it is not unusual in big bike business. I am no bike company and am not selling it to make a profit. My justification is simply having some fun with an old frame that would have ended up in the trash pile.
You shouldn't have to explain or justify anything with this bike. Though you know showing it off in the forums is going to bring out the ney sayers.
looks to me as if you took an old crappy frame that had practically no value and made it something that made you happy and had fun doing it. Period. End of story.
Merry Christmas Happy Holidays and a happy New Year!
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-23-19, 03:00 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

The forum members should stop being petty about this and start asking how much you want to paint frames...you do NICE work.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-23-19 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-23-19, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by norcalmike
You shouldn't have to explain or justify anything with this bike. Though you know showing it off in the forums is going to bring out the ney sayers.
looks to me as if you took an old crappy frame that had practically no value and made it something that made you happy and had fun doing it. Period. End of story.
Merry Christmas Happy Holidays and a happy New Year!

Yes exactly, thank you.
Old 12-23-19, 03:05 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

^^
Those are way neato builds. That said, long after we're all gone- no one will be able to come after you for making the bastids... YOU FRAUDsters. Lol
That reminds me of my "Leo" Bottecchia. A fellow by the name of Teodoro Carinelli applied for a patent for a brand called Leo back in 1955.

Apparently, my Bottecchia has his badge on it, and nobody knows if it's a sub-brand or if someone played badge swapping. <sarcasm>What a fraudster!</sarcasm>

Pic via MauriceMoss :

...and my frame:

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.