Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp42
Why have you always wanted a 3Rensho? Was it the geometry, the tubing, the craftsmanship?
I think you did a good job with the paint and decals, and I don't want to sound harsh, but I just don't see the point of it all - it's still a Centurion.
At least if you swap the slant 6 in your Dodge Dart for a Hemi it will go faster.
Why? Yes, yes and yes. Bite your tongue. It is not your daddies Centurion. It was designed by Yoshi Kono, one of the best frame makers ever. It was crafted from double butted Ishiwata 017-019 tubing, very thin and light. In race trim, with Clement silk tires on Fiamme Yellow rims, my 3Rensho was a sub 20 lb bike in 1981. Not bad for the time. With a high bottom bracket and steep head tube angle, it handles wonderfully in criteriums.

I will never give up my "Centurian".

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 12-24-19, 08:41 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
On this hallowed Christmas Eve, let's remember to celebrate the spirit of human kindness by reminding everyone that we should wish eternal damnation upon the prop department of Breaking Away for making a Free Spirit into a Masi.

We all know that the only ethical thing to do was to wreck the real one.

Oh, and the same to Eon Productions for trying to pass off a Porsche 928 as a DB5 and making fake DB5s. Blasphemous!

-Kurt

Old 12-24-19, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
On this hallowed Christmas Eve, let's remember to celebrate the spirit of human kindness by reminding everyone that we should wish eternal damnation upon the prop department of Breaking Away for making a Free Spirit into a Masi.

We all know that the only ethical thing to do was to wreck the real one.

Oh, and the same to Eon Productions for trying to pass off a Porsche 928 as a DB5 and making fake DB5s. Blasphemous!

-Kurt
What about the spectacular ending of Vanishing Point? The Challenger morphs into a Camaro right before the crash.

Last edited by seypat; 12-24-19 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 08:44 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
So what do you think......does this look more like a De Rosa or Ciocc?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-24-19, 08:47 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by seypat
What about the spectacular ending of Vanishing Point? The Challenger morphs into a Camaro right before it becomes an accordion.
I came so close to mentioning that. I substituted with Skyfall as I thought the Camaro would run a bit shy of the satire I was aiming for.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Confente. Definitely Confente. And maybe a Richard Sachs too.

-Kurt

Old 12-24-19, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Your choice.
Old 12-24-19, 09:10 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I’ve said it before. Never could justify buying a Rolex. Last time in HK bought 4 = $40. Whenever I check the time, it just doesn’t ‘feel’ right.

Good onya for saving a frame! And riding your dream, if it works for you.
Old 12-24-19, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
For those who know, you can see a mile away its not a San Rensho. The seat stays on the genuine item say "3Rensho".
The fact that a 3rensho expert can spot a fake is irrelevant. There are many potential buyers who don't have that knowledge. They can get ripped off too. I think the question for the OP is how badly he wants to avoid that situation.

Again, I think he did a great job with the bike and I have no problem with replicas. But just because other members are critical about lack of fraud prevention doesn't mean he should be calling forum members snobs.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 12-24-19, 09:38 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
But just because other members are critical about lack of fraud prevention doesn't mean he should be calling forum members snobs.
You'd be a bit defensive too if everyone came to your door with pitchforks.

Let the man enjoy his 3Spoofso. He stamped the BB, which should satisfy even the biggest critic. Anyone throwing shade at the OP after the photo evidence of the BB shell is only justifying that they've got nothing better to do then be a petty pain in the butt.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-24-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 09:45 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I’ve said it before. Never could justify buying a Rolex. Last time in HK bought 4 = $40. Whenever I check the time, it just doesn’t ‘feel’ right.

Good onya for saving a frame! And riding your dream, if it works for you.

When I joined the Reserves years ago a lot of the guys in the unit had Rolexes. I found out they were buying them off some jeweler in the Middle East who bought Rolex movements in bulk somehow and put them in his own, much cheaper, cases and bands. caveat emptor

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-24-19, 10:22 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Fuel for the fire

Why? Yes, yes and yes. Bite your tongue. It is not your daddies Centurion. It was designed by Yoshi Kono, one of the best frame makers ever. It was crafted from double butted Ishiwata 017-019 tubing, very thin and light. In race trim, with Clement silk tires on Fiamme Yellow rims, my 3Rensho was a sub 20 lb bike in 1981. Not bad for the time. With a high bottom bracket and steep head tube angle, it handles wonderfully in criteriums.

I will never give up my "Centurian".
My point exactly. The OP's bike has none of the attributes that make a real 3Rensho desirable. I still don't understand how it can be a worthwhile substitute.
I have no doubt the OP had good intentions stamping the bottom bracket but I do take some issue with the word "replica" being used because it simply isn't true.

I guess if it makes you smile that's enough.
Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-19, 10:26 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

My point exactly. The OP's bike has none of the attributes that make a real 3Rensho desirable. I still don't understand how it can be a worthwhile substitute.
I have no doubt the OP had good intentions stamping the bottom bracket but I do take some issue with the word "replica" being used because it simply isn't true.

I guess if it makes you smile that's enough.

Happy Holidays
You just answered your own question.

-Kurt

P.S.: Posting your personal vindication of the OP after you've also personally judged the OP doesn't excuse the fact that you just passed judgement on the OP.

Old 12-24-19, 10:48 AM
Banned.

You just answered your own question.

-Kurt

P.S.: Posting your personal vindication of the OP after you've also personally judged the OP doesn't excuse the fact that you just passed judgement on the OP.
You are correct, I take back what I said about the OP's satisfaction with the fake bike. It is not a substitute for a real 3Rensho and I don't understand how anyone could think it was because of a decal.
Old 12-24-19, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
We built up a circa '98 Litespeed for Laurie, which she loves but the graphics were ugly.
Found this Uranus head badge, and some Rollfast downtube decals. I don't worry that someone is going to think it's a Uranus, or a Rollfast.

What wasn't done yet when this pic was taken, the pièce de résistance: Remove the ugly titanium tubing sticker at the top of the seat tube, and replace with this:

At least that decal is technically accurate.
Is there life on Uranus? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 12-24-19, 11:06 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Everyone knows that @Bianchigirll's 2 wheeler isn't a Ciocc or DeRosa. It's a Betty - valued for its' uniqueness. I keep searching for one.
Old 12-24-19, 11:06 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

You are correct, I take back what I said about the OP's satisfaction with the fake bike. It is not a substitute for a real 3Rensho and I don't understand how anyone could think it was because of a decal.

Old 12-24-19, 11:12 AM

I think the thread has run it's course. Should it be shut down, or allowed to slowly drift to the bottom of the first page. There it can slip off the first page like a ship sinking under the surface on it's way to a watery grave.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-24-19, 02:14 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
I think some of you are pretty upset about this and I find that interesting because if I had redone this back to original I think the same people would have probably said something like,,"Why did you do that its just a cheap worthless frame" "Why didn't you invest in a real bike" "Why are you wasting your time".
sure, some of that could have possibly happened, but what we do know is that nobody has said anything disparaging about the frame since you mentioned what it was originally, and I even said it looked like a good frame before knowing what it originally was.

So while yes your hypothetical could have possibly happened, whatbhas happend is ooposite of that, even though everyone knows the frame.
Old 12-24-19, 02:15 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Specialized put their name on Rensho frames to make the original Allez. Bianchi sold bikes made by someone in Japan. Giant built frames for many other companies. Many bicycle companies have some or all their frames made by other companies and put their name on them. Essentially what I did only on a very large scale. Even Chevrolet puts their name on foreign cars to market here in the USA.
Are you comparing replica bikes to contract manufactured bikes?
Please dont try and go this route as they arent comparable and it's completely absurd.
Old 12-24-19, 02:24 PM
Banned.

In today's world it is all too common to personally attack anyone who disagrees with you.
Old 12-24-19, 03:49 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Never could justify buying a Rolex. Last time in HK bought 4 = $40.
Alright then.... Care to share what compelled you to buy a counterfeit?
Old 12-24-19, 03:57 PM

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
could have seen this one coming....B.A. Replica all over again!

Best, Ben
Old 12-24-19, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Are you comparing replica bikes to contract manufactured bikes?
Please dont try and go this route as they arent comparable and it's completely absurd.
Agreed, that's just rationalization on another level. It's one thing to put your own name on something or remove branding off something you own. It's another thing to put someone else's name on something without their permission, and most likely against their wishes. Rebranding a product using someone else's IP wouldn't last a day in court. Bikesdirect can't just go around selling Colnago tribute bikes because they stamp replica on the bottom bracket. Just because you can get away with doing this for personal use in a private setting doesn't mean it would at all be the same in a commercial setting, or that it's the same thing at all.

If you like something about the brand that's more than just skin deep, well this doesn't have that. If you just like the aesthetics, well I suppose you could have gotten spoof brand decals made, but no one is really stopping you from using replica decals. If you convince yourself that rebranding a frame with someone else's brand is exactly the same as what's done by large companies, I don't know what to say.
Old 12-24-19, 04:22 PM
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Is there life on Uranus? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Kling-ons.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-24-19, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
could have seen this one coming....B.A. Replica all over again!

Best, Ben
Yep, silly OP, what was he thinking, sharing, outing himself, could/should have just kept it to himself, glad he didn't.

Centurions are made in Japan/Taiwan, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.