Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternative to Plastic Water Bottle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alternative to Plastic Water Bottle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by KonradNYC
I'm in total agreement with you. Everyone's talking about these aluminum bottles verses plastic bottles. Just get a stainless steel Klean Kanteen. Mine don't rattle at all and I use a standard metal bottle cage. However, if you're worried it's gonna rattle, Klean Kanteen makes a plastic bottle cage designed for the metal bottle.

Also, the water comes out just as fast as squeezing a plastic bottle, due to the suction valve in the cap. Plus, they look way better. If you're not a weight weenie and you want good tasting water, I don't see why you'd go with anything else.
Only issue I had with my Klean Kanteen was that coming down a hill at 33mph I hit a bump and a full bottle flew out of my cage and was crushed by and SUV behind me. At $16 a pop it can be a pricey to lose vs. $3-$4 for a plastic one.
Old 06-26-07, 02:29 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I work in Alberta ... in the oil and gas industry. The company I work for makes plastics ... you know ... the little plastic beads that go into making things like ... plastic grocery bags and bicycle bottles.

It's kind of important to me to keep the production of those sorts of things going.
Yes, we must continue to make little plastic beads.
The Athabasca river be damned.
Old 06-26-07, 02:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Is that a typo?
Old 06-26-07, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
An interesting article, although it's primarily about recycling rather than re-use. There's no reason why bottle sizes couldn't be standardized like in the old days so that bottlers would be able to use each other's bottles. Sacrificing brand-specific bottle design for the sake of reducing waste is probably a price worth paying imo.
Old 06-26-07, 04:07 PM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Is that a typo?
Nope.
Old 06-26-07, 04:11 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's assume an average cyclist use one plastic bottle per year and an average cyclist cycle for 40 years. That's forty bottles per cyclist. Take that and times by total number of cyclists in the world. I'll guess that's a huge number. Besides, these bottles take hundreds of years to decompose. I prefer to use zero plastic bottle.
I mostly use polycarbonate bottles, which I estimate will last me about as long as aluminum bottles. They're ridiculously durable.

Note that a lot of fuel is burned for every product made from aluminum.

I probably have enough plastic grocery bags to last me the rest of my life if I just re-use them until they're worn out. I try hard to avoid getting new ones by reusing them and by using my backpack.

Last edited by cerewa; 06-26-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 04:12 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes, we must continue to make little plastic beads.
It keeps me employed, so I'm happy.

-----
But just wondering .... has anyone here looked into what it takes to make a stainless steel or aluminum bottles? You don't just pick them off the trees ... there's a lot of processing, pollution, and all the rest of it. Are they really an environmentally friendly option?
Old 06-26-07, 04:32 PM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

-----
But just wondering .... has anyone here looked into what it takes to make a stainless steel or aluminum bottles? You don't just pick them off the trees ... there's a lot of processing, pollution, and all the rest of it. Are they really an environmentally friendly option?
No, they're not.
Basically, we're flucked, because we've created this unsustainable house of cards.

Sorry to be such a downer, but it's the plain truth.

BTW, Machka, have you read up on some of the absolute devastation that oil companies are inflicting upon the "oil sands"? Do you know that cancer rates are through the roof? You can't eat the fish, you can't drink the water... WTF kind of world are we creating?

It ain't pretty, and it will lead to painful consequences.
Old 06-26-07, 05:15 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
Wholeheartedly agree. I tell the cashier to put stuff back in the cart
At Save-A-Lot they do that by default, they don't even have the typical bagging equipment at the register. If you want bags you have to buy them off a hook located at the register and bag it yourself. If I'm not mistaken, (I've never bought one, but) I believe they're about $0.25 a piece
Old 06-26-07, 05:38 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
So let's all just stop carrying bottles AT ALL and just hunt for drinking fountains along our commute routes.

Or we could all carry camel bladders like one of the posters above mentioned.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 06-26-07, 06:03 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
We also re-use plastic grocery sacks for similar purposes as you do, when we get them.
Indispensable for isolating and removing soiled toddler diapers. Super handy for picking up dog poop on the nightly sojourn. And very effective for disposing of dead squirrels.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-26-07, 06:04 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, they're not.
Basically, we're flucked, because we've created this unsustainable house of cards.

Sorry to be such a downer, but it's the plain truth.

BTW, Machka, have you read up on some of the absolute devastation that oil companies are inflicting upon the "oil sands"? Do you know that cancer rates are through the roof? You can't eat the fish, you can't drink the water... WTF kind of world are we creating?

It ain't pretty, and it will lead to painful consequences.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-26-07, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Don't forget that those plastic bags can be recycled, too. Most Whole Foods stores, just to name an example, have bins that you can throw them into for recycling.
Old 06-26-07, 07:32 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JR97
Bear Grylls sucked water from elephant dung on Man vs Wild. Now that is manly.
I tried that, the problem with elephant dung is that you have to carry a LOT of it to get relatively little water out. It's just not efficient.
Old 06-26-07, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-----
Machka, I see your point, but I do think steel bottles are a tad more environmentally friendly. The plastic bottles just don't last as long. What I mean by that is plastic tends to "last forever," but it can be really hard to clean if they get filthy/moldy so you will eventually be buying a new one and trashing the old one. Sure, you can recycle it (and you should) but metal (including alloys like steel) are more natural products and will rust and be reabsorbed into the earth more readily than plastic will decompose (although they both should be recycled!).

Anyway, originally my main point was that water just TASTES BETTER coming from a steel bottle. Everyone can argue all they want about what's more environmentally friendly...I'm going with the taste and health issue (no leaching with steel).
Old 06-26-07, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Only issue I had with my Klean Kanteen was that coming down a hill at 33mph I hit a bump and a full bottle flew out of my cage and was crushed by and SUV behind me. At $16 a pop it can be a pricey to lose vs. $3-$4 for a plastic one.
That sucks...though, I've never lost a bottle yet, plastic or stainless. Maybe its your cages?
Old 06-26-07, 07:40 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by dobber
Indispensable for isolating and removing soiled toddler diapers. Super handy for picking up dog poop on the nightly sojourn. And very effective for disposing of dead squirrels.
And for lining your handlebar bag, and for keeping the spare clothing in your Carradice dry, and for keeping the sleeping bags in your pannier dry, and for separating your clean clothes from your used clothes in your other pannier, and for wrapping around your feet and over your helmet on rainy days, and for covering your Brooks ..........
Old 06-26-07, 08:05 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdime
Let's assume an average cyclist use one plastic bottle per year
Bad assumption.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-26-07, 08:07 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think we should learn from my ancestors...with all the road kill we cyclists see, we could easily make gut bladders to carry our water, rather then threaten the human race by using those 1yr plastic bottle.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-26-07, 08:34 PM
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
About the "bad taste" of plastic bottles:

When I buy one, I wash it with soap and water, then I open it and vent it for a few days. Then I put water and leave it there for a few days. Then I empty it and leave it to air dry. Smell and taste are gone.
Old 06-26-07, 08:35 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon

When I buy one, I wash it with soap and water, then I open it and vent it for a few days. Then I put water and leave it there for a few days. Then I empty it and leave it to air dry. Smell and taste are gone.
+1
Old 06-26-07, 09:28 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recent trip to Germany. Interesting differences from Australia and NAmerica:
- Bottle of water 70 euro cents; deposit on plastic or glass bottle, 15-25 cents. Guess what: people don't throw out recyclables.
- No plastic grocery bags at all. None. BYO or learn to juggle.
- Bikes everywhere. Looks like a uni campus, everywhere.

I don't think non-disposable plastic water bottles are a problem, but there are better ways of doing things than throwing out packaging every time you take a drink or go to the shops.
Old 06-27-07, 01:02 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cave
Recent trip to Germany. Interesting differences from Australia and NAmerica:
- Bottle of water 70 euro cents; deposit on plastic or glass bottle, 15-25 cents. Guess what: people don't throw out recyclables.
- No plastic grocery bags at all. None. BYO or learn to juggle.
- Bikes everywhere. Looks like a uni campus, everywhere.

I don't think non-disposable plastic water bottles are a problem, but there are better ways of doing things than throwing out packaging every time you take a drink or go to the shops.
Hmmm, what are the Germans up to this time?.

½ kidding. ☺
Old 06-27-07, 07:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon

I do that too. It simply hasn't worked for me. The taste might be gone, but it comes back after I ride around in the heat. And I find that even freshly cleaned and vented plastic still has a "plastic" taste and I prefer the more neutral taste of steel (actually, I prefer glass, but I can't imagine that working too well on a bike ). To me, it's similar to drinking a beer directly from the glass bottle vs. from the aluminum can. The glass bottle just tastes better, but I'll "suffer" through an aluminum can if I have to...after all, it's still beer on the inside!

Anyway, everyone should use whatever works best for him/her. If you like plastic better, by all means use it. I prefer not to if I can help it. The OP was looking for some alternatives to plastic and stainless steel is what I use...just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-07, 08:22 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you're worried about the taste of the water, you're not thirsty enough.
Jeez, what a bunch of... ah, shutting up now.

I have been using the same cheap plastic bottle that came for free on a cheap bike for about 4 years now. It doesn't look any different than when new other than a bit worn on the outside.

I also reuse "disposable" bottles for weeks at a time. What's the problem supposed to be with this? I think people are so used to sterilized everything that their bodies react badly to anything vaguely stale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.