Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What's your low temperature threshold?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What's your low temperature threshold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 05:05 PM

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
The low to mid 20s is about all I can handle and at that only if it is dry and sunny. I usually wear a base, bib tights, a winter jersey , windbreaker, a cap, long gloves and winter shoes. Any colder than that and it feels like there is more effort overcoming the layers of clothing than the cycling.
Old 04-05-17, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-14 Celsius, so 6.8 for you guys. Not my preference, but cabin fever set in so we got the bikes out in Feb. It's positively balmy now in the 40s and I'm LOVING it. Can't wait for those long hot summer days
Old 04-07-17, 08:46 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquorLad
Biked in 4F @ 6:30am.
Me too, about 35 years ago.
These days I'm willing to go out down to 25F or so, but I need my rechargeable heated soles to survive.
Old 04-10-17, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
For me -48c is my cut off point but I live in Ottawa Canada it gets cold here in the winter.
Old 04-13-17, 09:00 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
So we're in that miserable limbo between winter and "warm" spring, and I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I'm going to ride outside today, or put the bike back on the trainer (which I loathe doing at this point).

High temps today are forecast for low to mid-50s. I know in years past I'd have no qualms kitting up in layers and going out to ride, but I'm feeling like a wimp these days.

What's your low temp threshold?

FWIW, I'm sure I'll go ride outdoors today ... I'm just being a baby
I'm a rather odd duck, it seems. Low 50's for me is like summer. I ride in shorts and a T shirt just like I would in 95 degree heat. I just would not soak my head at every water stop.

I do shut it down when Temps drop too far below 20 these days. My feet get cold in clipless shoes, even with the booties. I think the air rushes in through the cleat mount. I have thermal socks that help down to about 20. But, do as I may, I cannot find a solution for the feet thing when T is in the teens.
Old 04-13-17, 09:09 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
I'm a rather odd duck, it seems. Low 50's for me is like summer. I ride in shorts and a T shirt just like I would in 95 degree heat. I just would not soak my head at every water stop.

I do shut it down when Temps drop too far below 20 these days. My feet get cold in clipless shoes, even with the booties. I think the air rushes in through the cleat mount. I have thermal socks that help down to about 20. But, do as I may, I cannot find a solution for the feet thing when T is in the teens.
baron (if I may call you that), I suffer from poor circulation in the feets and found a combination of some winter boots (Sidi Hydro GTX) and a rechargeable heated insole like the Thermocells and a toe cover of some kind. A bit of an investment but before this I would pack it in at anything less than 40F.
Old 04-13-17, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
baron (if I may call you that), I suffer from poor circulation in the feets and found a combination of some winter boots (Sidi Hydro GTX) and a rechargeable heated insole like the Thermocells and a toe cover of some kind. A bit of an investment but before this I would pack it in at anything less than 40F.
Yeah, I've read on those heated insoles. It's definitely an idea I am looking at. I already use toe covers. In fact, anything under 50, I'm usually in those.

I'll just checked out that boot. They are giving them away right now: 60% off at $140. Very tempting. My Sidi shoes are carbon fiber no insulation. Useless in the cold. Even with the insulated sock, toe cover and booties. I can feel a breeze at my toes.

thanks
Old 04-13-17, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I have three criteria and I like for it to meet two of them for me to ride:

1. At least 50 degrees
2. Sunny (at least not overcast)
3. Not windy (less than 15mph)
Old 04-19-17, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride until it's about 3 degrees Celsius (37 degrees Fahrenheit).
That being said....I'm planning to ride a little more into the colder weather this coming winter. Will be reading some posts about cold/winter riding for tips etc. when the time comes.
Old 04-19-17, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Yeah, I've read on those heated insoles. It's definitely an idea I am looking at. I already use toe covers. In fact, anything under 50, I'm usually in those.

I'll just checked out that boot. They are giving them away right now: 60% off at $140. Very tempting. My Sidi shoes are carbon fiber no insulation. Useless in the cold. Even with the insulated sock, toe cover and booties. I can feel a breeze at my toes.

thanks
If you must use clipless, there are several makers of winter boots. Lake, Shimano, Northwave and 45 North. Good for real winter temps.
Old 04-22-17, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Solara road bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colder than anything I've faced here in Florida. I've ridden in the upper 20's / low 30's for a couple days back in the late 80's when I was riding to & from school. More recently, I've inline skated at around the freezing point a couple times, though I think it was in the low to mid 40's when I finished those skate sessions. As long as there's no snow or ice, I'm fine. Only place I want to see ice is inside the ice rink during public skating.
Old 04-22-17, 12:10 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
When is somebody going to start the high temperature threshold thread? Cold weather is officially done here in Inland SoCal-- it was 94º yesterday and will be 91º today. We won't see a day that even needs arm warmers for another 6 months.
Old 04-25-17, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll venture out in the mid 40's if the sun is shining, but that's about as low as I'll go.