Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle daily for years stay trim?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle daily for years stay trim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'd disagree with this slightly. I'd argue that yes, their grandparents did carry genes that let them pack on and store fat at a higher rate then others. What was an evolutionary benefit when food was scarce is now a hindrance.
Yes they may have had genes that made the fat storage a tiny bit more efficient, which may have been and advantage in a world without our abundance of food. But back then they didn't weigh 400 pounds even with those genes.

Old paintings (and study of old mummies and bones etc. confirmed people's sizes) show rich people being fatter back then (not fat in today's world, but fat compared to the farmers ets. back then). It isn't like the rich (some lords, counts kings etc.) coincidentally had the "fat genes" and the poor didn't. It is they had servants to move them around and a lot of (unhealthy) food. They basically were today's deskjob people with fast food and consequently were "heavier". In fact, back then being heavy was a sign of wealth since only the rich could afford to gain weight. Look at the Rubens naked ladies how heavy women were the ideal back then. Today the poor also have access to lots of unhealthy high-calorie food and nearly effortless movement (bus, car) , which is why obesity isn't a status of wealth anymore.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 01-27-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It would be better than nothing, and would certainly be a great start, but 100 minutes would likely only burn 700-800 calories.

With that little exercise, a person would also have to make the decision to eat within their maintenance level for the most part, and the 700-800 calories might cover a once-a-week splurge.
First, I want to congratulate the OP. I think it is the little changes that can make a difference. You may also want to compare your bank statement. You've saved a lot of money with this one lifestyle choice.

I do not disagree with the actual calorie savings analysis you provided but I do think transporting by a motor vehicle encourages and ultimately leads to adding needless empty calories. The drive by food pick-up lanes seems to support this claim. So, time away from eating temptations which happens during bike commuting, also has a positive impact on calorie consumption.
Old 01-27-18, 12:22 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
Not everyone digests food the same way. We each have a unique microbiome that lives off the food we eat.
Microbiomes are an interesting topic that my wife and I have just started to learn about. Most people aren't aware that our bodies are inhabited by communities of trillions of bacteria cells... about equal to or even exceeding the amount of human cells we have! It's fascinating what these bacteria do for our health, and how taking antibiotics can mess things up. I recommend everyone interested in good health do some research on this.
Old 01-27-18, 01:18 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lindafranc
I used to think that was important, and it has an effect, but I have seen photos of society from the 70's and being overweight was the exception. Most people were thin. Something happened from there. To me it appears technology replaced all the remaining time people had to be active. For example, back in the 1970's you had to get up and go to the tv to change the station. You had to go to the store to buy things. Now you can order food and have someone feed it to you without leaving your bed! It's my theory that as little as 100 minutes of bicycling distributed fairly equally over a week for years will prevent most people from becoming overweight.
Oh, believe me, there were no lack of lardbutts in the 70's- but remember, there was no internet or digital cameras or selfies....and unlike today, people tended to be more modest about being photographed, so what ya see in old photos may reflect a different overall demographic.

But things like diet and exercise definitely do play a role. So many people today live on junk food and fast food- and while they are all fat, I believe their genetics determine whether they're just ["just" LOL] 60 lbs. overweight...or 150 lbs overweight.

I know that even with my good genetics, and the fact that I eat extremely "clean" (NO fast food, EVER! Rarely eat meat. Lots of salads and beans...) and riding and everything, I still have to be careful. If I were to eat like most people these days- i.e. drinking sodas and alcohol; and eating 3 meals a day including a big dinner, or ANY fast food, I guarantee you I'd easily be 100 lbs overweight within a year!

But where the genetics come in: My grandparents were from Italy. My grandpa ate pasta EVERY day for a good part of his life....and was skinny. I eat a good deal of pasta too- the carbs don't seem to bother us at all. The Inuits can eat whale blubber; There's a tribe in Mongolia that lives mainly on cheese.... So I do think that staying away from our modern artificial processed chemical-laden diets, and eating within our genetics, is a big factor which is not taken into account by the "researchers".

And no doubt, a big part of the problem is that better than 90% of the "food" in our supermarkets is JUNK.

Another thing is: In places like AMerica, especially, people have come to be such a jumbled hodgepodge of ethnic mixtures, that they have no real traditional cuisine, and or the genetics are such a potpourri, that they're going in 20 directions at once, and don't even know what to do with the food.
Old 01-27-18, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
At age 52, living in the US, I am only 2 kilos more than in high school. That said, nowadays I cannot eat much pizza, have to watch the beer intake, etc. But....there is a lot to say about genetics, possibly more than ones exercise and diet, though they are major contributors. One of my grandfathers was thinner, one was obese.They both were pretty well up until their deaths in their 90s. All said and done, I look and act younger than my younger brothers, and many people my age as well. I have a physical job, run, bike, and would rather keep moving than sit around all the time.
Now, if all this activity could slow down hair loss, then we really have it!
Old 01-27-18, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Once in a while I like burgers and fries with a Coke or chocolate milk shake. Other times I like a slice or two of pizza. My favorite is the real Italian sausage, the kind you get in NYC. Joe's Pizza on Carmine street, Greenwich Village.
Me too, and pizza well I just keep eating for some reason. I almost never drink Cokes though, and I wonder if a large portion of our incidents of obesity comes from just that. And corn syrup in everything.
Old 01-27-18, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've noticed over the years that people that are in decent shape tend to just be more active in general. I worked in retail for a number of years and most of the time people in decent shape could run circles around people way overweight. How often do you hear people 200lbs overweight say "gee a 20 mile bike ride sounds like a fun plan today!" hahaha they would find a 1 mile bike ride to sound like some kind of torture

on a side note though... i've found riding to be a huge stress reliever if i have a lot of stuff going on in my head ..so its super healthy in a lot of ways - its a shame more people don't have our passion to be healthy and have fun doing it
Old 01-27-18, 04:32 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by kap 7
I've noticed over the years that people that are in decent shape tend to just be more active in general. I worked in retail for a number of years and most of the time people in decent shape could run circles around people way overweight. How often do you hear people 200lbs overweight say "gee a 20 mile bike ride sounds like a fun plan today!" hahaha they would find a 1 mile bike ride to sound like some kind of torture
Hmmmm... The Clydesdale forum right here on BF is loaded with people over 200 pounds who say "A 20 mile (and more) bike ride sounds like a fun plan today." I'd bet many of them could out ride some of the "lightweights" too.
Old 01-27-18, 04:57 PM

sorry meant no offense to anyone ... I applaud anyone of any weight to ride. However, I meant someone 200lbs overweight .. not someone who weighs over 200lbs
Old 01-27-18, 05:24 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

I applaud anyone of any weight to ride.
Me too! There have been many inspiring stories of people who lost a bunch of weight by cycling and eating healthier.

I've sold or given several bikes to some really overweight people.
Old 01-27-18, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Me too! There have been many inspiring stories of people who lost a bunch of weight by cycling and eating healthier.

I've sold or given several bikes to some really overweight people.

that's awesome of you - we need more people like you in the world!
Old 01-28-18, 08:15 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Me too, and pizza well I just keep eating for some reason. I almost never drink Cokes though, and I wonder if a large portion of our incidents of obesity comes from just that. And corn syrup in everything.
Just yesterday, I went to the local supermarket (Sprouts), bought hamburger meat (not in paddy form), a package of hamburger buns, and made my own hamburger at home. There was some cheese in fridge and I put that on top at the very end of the frying time.

Ate two hamburgers, missed the raw onions and tomatoes, though. No Coke, just water. All this was after a 45 minute workout. So there!!
Old 01-28-18, 09:43 AM

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I used to drink 3 or 4 Pepsi colas a day, for years and years. After getting back into serious cycling 4 years ago, and giving up the soft drinks, I lost over 100 lbs. in a year. My doc told me even though the cycling contributed a lot to the weight loss, cutting out the Pepsi probably contributed more.
Old 01-28-18, 09:49 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 22 Posts
Bike skinny?

I’m 5-10 225. Bit of a fire plug. I got back serious with my bike at 49. 57 now with 80,000 under my tail on three bikes. Most of the miles ended up on my SS mountain bike. I’ve done a dozen centuries, and several OC to San Diego overnight runs. Lots of Midnight Ryder rides. 8 years later, 223 lbs this morning. Look completely different but weigh the same.
Old 01-28-18, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
I must admit that I'm not the most slender person... but I'd say "healthy"

What I've noticed is so many people > 50 walking around on absolutely pencil legs (and in shorts?)
Old 01-28-18, 10:57 AM
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How often do you hear people 200lbs overweight say "gee a 20 mile bike ride sounds like a fun plan today!" hahaha they would find a 1 mile bike ride to sound like some kind of torture
Wrong place to make those comments. I'm 200+ and 20mi is a short, before breakfast, before work daily ride for me. During the summer when I don't have to drive my kids to school at 7:30am, I generally up it to 30, and that's not counting the 30-60mi rides I try to squeeze in on Saturdays and Sundays, nor is it counting the 60-100mi charity rides/rallies/fondos I try to squeeze in twice a month. I haven't ridden less than 5000 miles/year in three years and I've been over 200lbs the whole time. Maybe you should think about who you're audience is before making comments like that.