Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette
Just to report back, I did this round trip to Mineola. I went to my buddy's house there, we spent the day hanging out. I ended up sleeping over and rode home early this morning. Left a little after 7:00 AM to get an early start back to Brooklyn.

As I said I would, I scoped out the little section of Conduit Avenue connecting Cohancey Street to 114th Street, and the biggest problem wasn't the traffic, lol though that was bad! But I could have sucked it up and dealt with the traffic for the 0.3ish miles. But it is un-passable going East since it is a one way with insane traffic going WEST. So I was about to just shoot up Albert to Centerville (etc.) but then I saw a really big sidewallk with NO PEDESTRIANS on it. It was on the north side of the big avenue, lining the south end of Aqueduct's property. So with no pedestrians on it, I just jumped on the sidewalk and pedaled to 114th street.

Coming back, I decided to try the same thing. I still had NO desire to pedal Conduit in the street, even for just that really long block, so I jumped on the sidewalk. It was a little after 8:00 AM, and the entire length of it, there was one couple walking. Since they had the right of way, I slowed down and asked nicely if I could pass them, then I ducked into a little patch of grass to the right, in case they didn't hear me, and passed them safely and SLOWLY.

The rest of the route both ways was as described!

Thank you so much for your directions and the time you took to help me, Ferdinand NYC!!

It made a huge difference. I have pedaled down both Jamaica Ave and Jericho Turnpike for very limited stretches, and while they are both passable, I think, the stress level is not conducive to a fun ride, with cars flying by at warp speed treating cyclists like we don't belong on the road to begin with. While riding on those continuous avenues for limited distances is fine, I had NO DESIRE whatoever to do the 8+ miles from Jamaica all the way into Mineola on that insanity.

I absolutely relished the 4+ mile stretch of Linden Blvd from 114th Street all the way through 216th Street. Granted it was morning both times (8ish AM today and about 10:00 AM yesterday). 115th Ave, Dutch Broadway, Meechum, and Stewart were all really nice riding roads. Nassau Blvd was easy both days, though I expected some trouble today since I left around Rush Hour, but was pleasantly surprised that it was a nice, easy stretch.

All in all, a great ride, enjoyable, laid back, relatively flat throughout, and I lucked out with wind since I had a head wind going, but it was pretty light and didn't slow me down.

Very scenic, too and nice to cycle in areas I never really did before.
I am glad that you had a good time, and I am very gratified to know that my comments were useful to you!
Old 04-28-16, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
I am glad that you had a good time, and I am very gratified to know that my comments were useful to you!
Yeah, both ways were just pleasant, relaxing, no-stress rides. No breaks at all and just constant pedaling at whatever speed I wanted to go at, except for the rare, large intersections that I had to stop at the red light because of too much cross traffic.

Speaking of red lights, has anyone heard that lawmakers are trying to pass a low allowing cyclists to coast through red lights and stop signs in NYC? The person who told this to me is not a cyclist, so I don't consider it a reliable source. But I was curious if anyone else has heard anything about this.
Old 04-28-16, 04:06 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette
Yeah, both ways were just pleasant, relaxing, no-stress rides. No breaks at all and just constant pedaling at whatever speed I wanted to go at, except for the rare, large intersections that I had to stop at the red light because of too much cross traffic.

Speaking of red lights, has anyone heard that lawmakers are trying to pass a low allowing cyclists to coast through red lights and stop signs in NYC? The person who told this to me is not a cyclist, so I don't consider it a reliable source. But I was curious if anyone else has heard anything about this.
No one has suggested that bikes should be allowed to coast through red lights and stop signs. That would not be a good policy at all.

But City Council Member Antonio Reynoso introduced a resolution to urge the State Legislature to enact what is known as the "Idaho stop", whereby bikes could treat red lights as stop signs, and could treat stop signs as yield signs. You can read about it at Streetsblog.

While we need that change in the law, I ask you to stop at red lights and to follow all other rules of the road. I perfectly understand how annoying this is. The traffic rules were designed for cars, and were put in place without taking any account of bicyclists' needs. But the fact remains that the current law is what it is; and we have an obligation to follow even the stupid laws while we try to change them.

The issue of bicyclist behaviour on the road is a vital one, because the entire existence of our bike infrastructure depends upon the attitude towards us on the part of the public at large. When members of the public witness bicyclsts' unlawful acts, such as blowing red lights, riding on the sidewalk, and riding in the wrong direction, the result is dinner-table conversations about "those crazy bicyclists" who don't deserve any accommodations. This, in turn, gives our enemies free ammunition; it provokes complaints to the police and to elected officials, encourages the lunatic bike-haters who turn Community Board meetings into pathetic farces, and creates ever more enemies by driving otherwise neutral people into the anti-bike camp.

The bad laws will change only when we get more legislators who, like Reynoso, feel comfortable enough to align themselves with bicyclists' interests. But this will never happen if all that these politicians ever hear from their constituents is a series of complaints about bicyclists. In fact, if we piss off the public, not only will we not get legislative reform and an expansion of our bike network, but we are likely to see significant loss of the bike lanes that we have.

Every New York City bicyclist should remember that we have our beautiful bike network only on account of Bloomberg, who understood the concept of livable streets. He appointed the visionary Janette Sadik-Khan as DOT commissioner, and then strongly backed her transformative programme in defiance of often vitriolic criticism. Our bike lanes did not come about gradually as a response to widespread public demand; they appeared rather rapidly, simply because Bloomberg wanted them there, and because he was going to brook no opposition. We all owe him a huge debt of gratitude. But, sadly, our rich uncle who liked to give us presents is gone, and he's not coming back.

Future mayors are under no obligation to keep our bike lanes in place. The current mayor is terribly unenthusiastic about bike infrastructure; indeed, when de Blasio was Public Advocate, he was one of Sadik-Khan's many critics. And when this feckless pseudo-"progressive" who is in the pocket of the taxi industry is challenged from all sides in the next election, don't be surprised when he starts conceding that some bike lanes should be removed in the name of "balance". Expect the election to become in part a contest of "which candidate hates bike lanes the most", as each contender tries to tap into the enormous well of ill will that exists towards bicyclists.

It is possible to enumerate other reasons to ride legally, from safety questions (I have twice been hit and knocked off my bike by wrong-way riders, one of whom was going through a red light as well), to the comfort of pedestrians as the most vulnerable street users, to ethical considerations regarding good citizenship.

But I think that the most compelling motivation to ride legally is self-interest. The sad reality is that cyclists who blow red lights and do other illegal things in full view of witnesses are, in effect, mounting a public campaign for the removal of our bike infrastructure. I urge all my fellow bicyclists not to be part of this problem.
Old 04-28-16, 05:44 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
No one has suggested that bikes should be allowed to coast through red lights and stop signs. That would not be a good policy at all.

But City Council Member Antonio Reynoso introduced a resolution to urge the State Legislature to enact what is known as the "Idaho stop", whereby bikes could treat red lights as stop signs, and could treat stop signs as yield signs. You can read about it at Streetsblog.

While we need that change in the law, I ask you to stop at red lights and to follow all other rules of the road. I perfectly understand how annoying this is. The traffic rules were designed for cars, and were put in place without taking any account of bicyclists' needs. But the fact remains that the current law is what it is; and we have an obligation to follow even the stupid laws while we try to change them.

The issue of bicyclist behaviour on the road is a vital one, because the entire existence of our bike infrastructure depends upon the attitude towards us on the part of the public at large. When members of the public witness bicyclsts' unlawful acts, such as blowing red lights, riding on the sidewalk, and riding in the wrong direction, the result is dinner-table conversations about "those crazy bicyclists" who don't deserve any accommodations. This, in turn, gives our enemies free ammunition; it provokes complaints to the police and to elected officials, encourages the lunatic bike-haters who turn Community Board meetings into pathetic farces, and creates ever more enemies by driving otherwise neutral people into the anti-bike camp.

The bad laws will change only when we get more legislators who, like Reynoso, feel comfortable enough to align themselves with bicyclists' interests. But this will never happen if all that these politicians ever hear from their constituents is a series of complaints about bicyclists. In fact, if we piss off the public, not only will we not get legislative reform and an expansion of our bike network, but we are likely to see significant loss of the bike lanes that we have.

Every New York City bicyclist should remember that we have our beautiful bike network only on account of Bloomberg, who understood the concept of livable streets. He appointed the visionary Janette Sadik-Khan as DOT commissioner, and then strongly backed her transformative programme in defiance of often vitriolic criticism. Our bike lanes did not come about gradually as a response to widespread public demand; they appeared rather rapidly, simply because Bloomberg wanted them there, and because he was going to brook no opposition. We all owe him a huge debt of gratitude. But, sadly, our rich uncle who liked to give us presents is gone, and he's not coming back.

Future mayors are under no obligation to keep our bike lanes in place. The current mayor is terribly unenthusiastic about bike infrastructure; indeed, when de Blasio was Public Advocate, he was one of Sadik-Khan's many critics. And when this feckless pseudo-"progressive" who is in the pocket of the taxi industry is challenged from all sides in the next election, don't be surprised when he starts conceding that some bike lanes should be removed in the name of "balance". Expect the election to become in part a contest of "which candidate hates bike lanes the most", as each contender tries to tap into the enormous well of ill will that exists towards bicyclists.

It is possible to enumerate other reasons to ride legally, from safety questions (I have twice been hit and knocked off my bike by wrong-way riders, one of whom was going through a red light as well), to the comfort of pedestrians as the most vulnerable street users, to ethical considerations regarding good citizenship.

But I think that the most compelling motivation to ride legally is self-interest. The sad reality is that cyclists who blow red lights and do other illegal things in full view of witnesses are, in effect, mounting a public campaign for the removal of our bike infrastructure. I urge all my fellow bicyclists not to be part of this problem.
Very well stated.

At first my reaction to your post was "I don't need another lecture", but you pretty much stated it all correctly.

SB
Old 04-29-16, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Got in a quick 25 with a buddy up to Bethpage this morning.

We waited till 9:30 for some warmth, which was not to be had. 50 for the high, east wind at 20.

It will get warm

The wind will subside.

May will come.......
Old 04-29-16, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
My Mom passed away last weekend after a long struggle. I haven't been on the bike since last autumn and now I need to get back to life. So when is it going to be "my" type of riding weather again?
Old 04-29-16, 02:38 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My Mom passed away last weekend after a long struggle. I haven't been on the bike since last autumn and now I need to get back to life. So when is it going to be "my" type of riding weather again?
I am terribly sorry to read this. There's nothing that anyone can really say about this sort of thing; it's a pain that is now part of you. I hope that you will be successful in getting back to life. When the person whom I loved most died (five years ago on the Sunday after next, as it happens), it was bike-riding that helped keep me sane. May it have the same effect for you.

According to the source that that I use most, Time and Date, good weather should be coming in after we pass one more uncomfortably cool week.
Old 04-29-16, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Got in a quick 25 with a buddy up to Bethpage this morning.

We waited till 9:30 for some warmth, which was not to be had. 50 for the high, east wind at 20.

It will get warm

The wind will subside.

May will come.......
Not a day too soon! We've been wanting to start taking "quick 25" evening rides, but with the persistent chill we just head out the door on foot.

I had to laugh; living on the south shore, to me "up to Bethpage" always meant a northbound ride, so 25 miles "up to Bethpage" implies a starting point well out to sea.....
Old 04-29-16, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Not a day too soon! We've been wanting to start taking "quick 25" evening rides, but with the persistent chill we just head out the door on foot.

I had to laugh; living on the south shore, to me "up to Bethpage" always meant a northbound ride, so 25 miles "up to Bethpage" implies a starting point well out to sea.....
We have to head east for a couple of miles before getting to the SOB. Thus the steady east wind this morning was killing us.
Old 04-29-16, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Tom, so very sorry for your loss.

SB
Old 04-30-16, 02:00 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I waited for the warmer part of the day so it was bibs and jersey only... awesome. Massapequa to Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, Deer Park, Farmingdale and home. It was a great ride, just the wind shifted and I had a head wind both ways.

https://www.strava.com/activities/561271941
Old 04-30-16, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Tom, so very sorry for your loss.

SB
Thanks, Steve.

I had to work today, so of course it was beautiful outside. I thought tomorrow (Sunday) might be my first ride, but now I see cold and rain are on tap for the whole day. C'mon, weather people, can't you give a poor little orphan like me a break?
Old 05-04-16, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick reminder for people interested in Bike activism on Long Island: Car-Less Long Island (501c-3)
Bike and Costume Parade is Saturday May 7th at Hofstra.
Weather is not ideal, but we are still expecting about 100 people.
6+ mile slow ride around Eisenhower Park and back to Hofstra (County police will block a lane!)
VOTE WITH YOUR FEET!
(free tee shirts (organic cotton!) prizes for Costumes, Creative Bikes and cute Kids.
go to website and register Car-LessLI.org.
Thanks all.
Old 05-06-16, 04:15 PM
On Your Left

I picked up my new bike and took it for it's maiden voyage. The wind was 20mph and it was wet, but that's what i bought it for.

Old 05-06-16, 07:13 PM

I'm not a gear junkie by any means, but that bike looks swwwwweeet as hell!
Old 05-07-16, 04:35 PM
On Your Left

Decided to get it dirty.... its very capable in the dirt.

Old 05-08-16, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Waited out the rain, and we snuck in an easy ride this lovely afternoon, only 25 miles alas, on the "old" tandem. But for weeks it seems we/I have not been able to clip in without summoning up a wind-fest.
Old 05-09-16, 10:49 AM

Chores done, dog walked and snoring, about to head north, probably Caumsett.

Wind looks to be kicking up.
Old 05-10-16, 03:57 PM
On Your Left

Another windy day... when will it be calm?

23 miles @ 15.5mpg.

I need to get faster.
Old 05-10-16, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Another windy day... when will it be calm?

23 miles @ 15.5mpg.

I need to get faster.
There's a good crew ("Jerry's A Ride") that sorties outta Borrella Field in Bethpage every Tuesday at 9am. We went up & around Halesite/Huntington Bay today for 42 miles. These guys can turn the cranks and know their way around, and I usually see at least a bit of someplace new whenever I do this ride. There's also a Thursday ride with a slower option. Check the MPBC ride schedule, as at some point the start time will revert to 830am.
Old 05-11-16, 02:43 AM
On Your Left

They're a bit fast for me.
Old 05-11-16, 02:30 PM

I need to get faster.
Hmmm...and I'm always thinking "I need to get slower."
Old 05-12-16, 02:13 PM
On Your Left

Still breaking in the SuperX... 20 miles with some of it on the trails in Bethpage.

I hate the sand... when down for the 3rd time in the same plate. i need to avoid that trail.
Old 05-13-16, 01:34 PM

Still breaking in the SuperX... 20 miles with some of it on the trails in Bethpage.

I hate the sand... when down for the 3rd time in the same plate. i need to avoid that trail.
I think I know the sand of which you speak.....I've "seen it close-up" a few times myself, and that's on (or suddenly off) a mountain bike. I'm curious what tires you have on the SuperX and how you like them. I have 28s on my cross bike with plenty of room for bigger.

It's funny, in my previous experience "SuperX" has denoted a Winchester product, not Cannondale.
Old 05-13-16, 02:03 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by kaos joe
I think I know the sand of which you speak.....I've "seen it close-up" a few times myself, and that's on (or suddenly off) a mountain bike. I'm curious what tires you have on the SuperX and how you like them. I have 28s on my cross bike with plenty of room for bigger.

It's funny, in my previous experience "SuperX" has denoted a Winchester product, not Cannondale.
I still have the stock Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 700x35c tires. I have on order a set of Bontrager AW2 tubeless 700x32C tires since I plan on riding on the road mostly. I bought it as a foul weather bike and the stock tires are a bit heavy and slow on the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.