Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

First race: Cat 4/5 or Masters 35+ 4/5

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

First race: Cat 4/5 or Masters 35+ 4/5

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 06:29 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Why do you hate me?
It's not hate. It's sort of like the feelings you have about your $35k a year golf pro brother who keeps marrying strippers and has rung up a string of divorces, while you're working 80 hours a week as a CFO with a 15 year marriage and 3 kids going to private school.

Part of you wouldn't mine trading
Old 05-02-12, 06:43 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Sometimes I am a very happy pro cat 4

Old 05-03-12, 08:56 AM
Does Not Exist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Experience comes with experience. Talent comes with good genetics. I know a lot of masters who are very experienced, great bike handlers, smart racers, and couldn't pedal their way into a sub hour TT if you stuck a gun to their children's heads.
Even a 20k? I thought I was slow.
Old 05-03-12, 09:20 AM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
It's not hate. It's sort of like the feelings you have about your $35k a year golf pro brother who keeps marrying strippers and has rung up a string of divorces, while you're working 80 hours a week as a CFO with a 15 year marriage and 3 kids going to private school.

You used to play golf?
Old 05-03-12, 11:10 AM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
You used to play golf?
The kind with dinosaurs and windmills.
Old 05-03-12, 11:11 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there another kind?
Old 05-03-12, 11:33 AM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Is there another kind?
Not for we purists.
Old 05-04-12, 03:12 PM
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
But if they have that much experience then they shouldn't be a 4 or a 5 anymore, I'd think..
like a lot of others, Im a cat4lifer...I dont race enought to get out, and a few top 10's isnt going to cut it. And Im not (yet) strong enough to do the 40+. But I will be...

Anyway in my experience a masters 4/5's race is as bad if not worse than a regular 4/5's race, it's just that there are more Ti bike, the head tubes are taller, and the positions are more upright (due to bad backs).
it seems like the theory is that the 35+ crowd, albeit newbs, will take less unnecessary risk. Seems logical.
Old 05-04-12, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think it actually matters much. There are reckless people and bad bike handlers of all ages. If not lining up next to guys in their 20’s gives you the warm & fuzzy, by all means get in the over 35 race. If you can look at the registration lists, I think the field sizes would play more of a roll in my decision. Whether or not you would benefit more from a larger or smaller field depends on what you are trying to accomplish by doing the race.
Old 05-06-12, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a 2nd year racer (40+ cat4) perspective:

For RR's around here (TX), we usually have a 35+ 4/5, a 40+ 1-4, and a dedicated 4's and dedicated 5's. For our weekly crit series, there is a 4/5 race, a 3/4 race, a 1/2/3 race, and a 35+ 1-4 race for part of the year.

As a new racer, I'd choose the 35+ 4/5's before the pure 5's race or combined 4/5. Inexperienced old guys (like me) with jobs are safer to race with than inexerienced young guys that are racing for a pair of socks like there is no tomorrow.

As a 4, I have the open 40+ (or open 35+ for our weekly crits), very safe in comparison and smaller fields. In some ways, I find it easier racing because it's smoother and I don't like tight packs, but when they go hard, it can be quite painful.

I plan to remain a 4 for at least another season, and maybe much longer. I can race every race I want to as a 4 and I can still stretch myself by racing with the 3's or Masters Open.
Old 05-18-12, 10:43 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll likely never win most of the CAT4 races I enter, but I'll always shoot for the Masters 40+ race AND the 3/4's or 4/5's, doubling up on the day. I just need to choose which one I want to be competitive in (cumulatively through the season) and use the other as training and experience. I focus on one category for the season so I can gauge my improvement (or lack thereof). I might suggest you do the same. The Masters category, as others have said, could potentially be filled with CAT1 through CAT4 if it's an open category, while the others are obviously specific to the category and not to the age. I prefer the Masters category because at least I'm judging myself against others my age, if not my skill level.

I may choose different categories to compete in for the season for different disciplines. I may race Masters 40+ for road and circuit races but race CAT3/4 or CAT4/5 for crits. I exclusively race Masters 40+ in cyclocross and double up with the open single speed on the same day. I try to compete in the Masters category and then race the SS for fun (sometimes hitting the podium and sometimes not).
Old 05-18-12, 09:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not hate. It's sort of like the feelings you have about your $35k a year golf pro brother who keeps marrying strippers and has rung up a string of divorces, while you're working 80 hours a week as a CFO with 20 year marriage and 3 kids going to private school.

hmmmmmmmmmm ... sounds familiar

BTW I wish there was more/any masters 35+ 4/5 races around here ... I dont even recall seeing one of those around. 35+ 3/4 at Dana Point but thats about it
Old 05-19-12, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To update, I ended up entering both races. The Cat 4/5 was first and not a bad experience considering it was my first race and i hadn't been on my bike in a week, but I got shelled in the Masters 4/5 mainly because I was tired from the first race. There was also a big hill in the middle of the course and I was getting gapped on the climb and chasing back to the pack. After a few laps of that, I was falling father back and eventually lost touch and just finished solo. Anyway, both groups were well-behaved and I wouldn't have any issues in the future riding with either. Just have to reconsider whether it's a good idea for me to enter back to back races right now or focus on a good result in one or the other.
Old 05-19-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Right Said Fred
To update, I ended up entering both races. The Cat 4/5 was first and not a bad experience considering it was my first race and i hadn't been on my bike in a week, but I got shelled in the Masters 4/5 mainly because I was tired from the first race. There was also a big hill in the middle of the course and I was getting gapped on the climb and chasing back to the pack. After a few laps of that, I was falling father back and eventually lost touch and just finished solo. Anyway, both groups were well-behaved and I wouldn't have any issues in the future riding with either. Just have to reconsider whether it's a good idea for me to enter back to back races right now or focus on a good result in one or the other.
Focus on the first one, then do the second one anyway. Double the learning experience for the day.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html