Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 06:41 AM

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SprintzNKiloz
Someone on FB posted a picture of Phillip Hindes new Cervelo from his Instagram account so it appears to be a yes.
yup you are correct.
Carleton has to give to give us money now lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (100.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 06-03-16, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GBs chance for team sprint gold went from bad to worse...
Old 06-03-16, 08:23 AM

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
yup you are correct.
YAY MONEY! I like money
Old 06-03-16, 08:24 AM

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
Not a cervelo fan?
Old 06-03-16, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a cervelo fan?
At least older models were no good for sprinting and the new T5 has pursuit written all over it. Also trying a new bike at his point in the Olympic cycle is like shooting yourself in the foot(not so much in pursuit). I'd be really surprised if Jason Kenny didn't ride his old bike for the Match sprint and Keirin. Cervelo is not a bike for me, but don't have anything else against it.
Old 06-03-16, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... and the new T5 has pursuit written all over it.
Hey, this is likely an improvement - the T4 had road written all over it!
Old 06-03-16, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar
Hey, this is likely an improvement - the T4 had road written all over it!
That's true. New bike looks a bit like Avantis Pista Evo 2 but goofier saddle. The Avanti is a good bike, but I I wouldn't choose it for a sprinter.
Old 06-03-16, 09:04 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
YAY MONEY! I like money
who hates money.
Money = new bike parts
Old 06-03-16, 09:21 AM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
yup you are correct.
Hahahaha. Fine. Where do I send $1?

Agreed.
Old 06-03-16, 09:25 AM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
1. That looks like a pursuit bike for sure
2. That bike is extremely ugly
Old 06-03-16, 02:36 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Hahahaha. Fine. Where do I send $1?
In your handlebar, so your handlebar will be like a swear jar haha

--------------------------------

Planet X is testing 5spoke and 3spoke wheel.
https://instagram.com/p/BGMgNaghwUY/

Also if you live near T.Town, go to T.Town and meet SHANE PERKINS!!!!!
He is racing tonight.
Old 06-03-16, 02:46 PM
Elitist

In your handlebar, so your handlebar will be like a swear jar haha
Hahahahaha.
Old 06-05-16, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
yup you are correct.
There's also a short vid of them doing a standing start on his instagram
Old 06-09-16, 02:44 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://youtu.be/Bq632S8DIRE
US Felt track bike has really strange dropout design
Old 06-09-16, 03:49 PM
Elitist

https://youtu.be/Bq632S8DIRE
US Felt track bike has really strange dropout design
Thanks for the link.

Interesting to note:

They are using the Stages power meter. Not sure if it's on one arm or two. If they are pushing the IBM power analysis thing, I'd imagine that they'd want the meter on both crank arms. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still just on one.

Looks like they are using the wedge design that we've talked about from the BMX world:

The craziest part? The ends are not open. This means that you can't use normal track hubs. You have to use the hubs that accept track bolts. You might have to use their specific bolt because it seems like the washer may be custom for that bolt.

Same for the fork:

Old 06-09-16, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The craziest part? The ends are not open. This means that you can't use normal track hubs. You have to use the hubs that accept track bolts. You might have to use their specific bolt because it seems like the washer may be custom for that bolt.

Same for the fork:
S00per marginal aero gainz.

Phil Hindes has started to upload daily (or almost daily) vlogs to his youtube channel, for those who may be interested. I hardly imagine he'll be going into in-depth training strategies and such, but it might give some interesting insight: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-...8vjCUqzrLnnNsQ
Old 06-09-16, 04:33 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Interesting to note:

They are using the Stages power meter. Not sure if it's on one arm or two. If they are pushing the IBM power analysis thing, I'd imagine that they'd want the meter on both crank arms. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still just on one.

I am pretty sure that they are using only one stages power meter.
it's almost impossible to fit stages power meter between the crank arm and chainring
Look at this clearance.
Attached Images
Old 06-09-16, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The bikes use dual-sensor Stages power meters that capture data at 64hz — meaning 64 times a second — at a wide range of cadences (10-220rpm) and power outputs (1-2,999w)." from the bikeradar article
Old 06-09-16, 10:24 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by Godsight
"The bikes use dual-sensor Stages power meters that capture data at 64hz — meaning 64 times a second — at a wide range of cadences (10-220rpm) and power outputs (1-2,999w)." from the bikeradar article
That's awesome!

The consumer units should do the same. I understand that roadies may not need such high frequency recording. But, if you are gonna analyze track files, it's very useful.
Old 06-09-16, 10:30 PM
Elitist

Here's something interesting to note:

It seems that Teams USA and GB got new bikes 2 months before the Olympics. That pretty much means that they won't get any new bikes if these don't perform well.

Think about how long it takes to get used to a new bike. Then what if they have to do that for this new bike and the rear end is too flexy or the angles are not to the athlete's liking and they order a new one. You'll have to wait 2, 3, 4 weeks? Then try again.

I never liked the idea of getting new gear just before the Olympics. Hopefully they have been testing these for months.
Old 06-09-16, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
The craziest part? The ends are not open. This means that you can't use normal track hubs. You have to use the hubs that accept track bolts. You might have to use their specific bolt because it seems like the washer may be custom for that bolt
Don't forget that those hubs are a custom width, as is the frame dropout spacings (do you still call them dropouts???) so no standard hub would fit anyway.

It seems that Teams USA and GB got new bikes 2 months before the Olympics. That pretty much means that they won't get any new bikes if these don't perform well.

Think about how long it takes to get used to a new bike. Then what if they have to do that for this new bike and the rear end is too flexy or the angles are not to the athlete's liking and they order a new one. You'll have to wait 2, 3, 4 weeks? Then try again.

I never liked the idea of getting new gear just before the Olympics. Hopefully they have been testing these for months.
These things are developed over time, and without a doubt the riders, or at least the key performers, have seen a lot of them through their development. Us, the general public just haven't seen them. I had the opportunity to chat a guy that was involved in the development of the 3T scattos and they were being used and developed for a long time before we the public laid eyes on them
Old 06-10-16, 12:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I understand correctly team US(well women's team pursuit) has been a part of the development of the new Felt, but I feel really sorry for team GBs sprinters. "-Here's your new pursuit bike. -But, but I'm a sprinter! -Well tough, deal with it!" I'll be really surprised if Kenny rides the match sprint and Keirin with the new bike, no time to get used to it.
Old 06-10-16, 01:32 AM
Elitist

If I understand correctly team US(well women's team pursuit) has been a part of the development of the new Felt, but I feel really sorry for team GBs sprinters. "-Here's your new pursuit bike. -But, but I'm a sprinter! -Well tough, deal with it!" I'll be really surprised if Kenny rides the match sprint and Keirin with the new bike, no time to get used to it.
It has happened before.

Rebecca Twigg (USA) refused to ride the GT Superbike in the 1996 Olympics:

Technology: Flop, Flop, Fizzle, Fizzle | Outside Online

At last summer's Olympics, gold-medal favorite Rebecca Twigg refused to pilot Superbike II, the wondersteed that was to prove America's technological prowess to the world, saying it handled horribly on the track. In the end, USA Cycling's $5 million Project '96 resulted in just one paltry silver medal. How could we have spent the GDP of a small island nation on such a dismal flop? The fun is in the details.

First, there was the matter of the bike's ultrathin frame. Aerodynamic, to be sure. But five weeks before the Games, members of the pursuit team heard a...troubling sound during a test ride. Seems one of the vaunted frames had cracked. "We had a high-stress area," admits engineer Scott Gordon.
Twigg complained that she didn't receive her bike early enough to test it.
LOTS of fingers were pointed:

Still, there are those who say that the project was a success. After all, Superbike II produced the Americans' fastest times ever. "To believe the bicycle was going to make the complete difference was illusion," says its designer, Forrest Yelverton. "We have the best bicycle on the planet. We didn't have the best athletes." And so we come to the bottom line: The Superbike squad--with only two real contenders (Twigg and time-trial silver medalist Erin Hartwell) and such fossils as 43-year-old Kent Bostick--had little hope to begin with. "Everybody says the project was a disaster, but we got what we deserved," Bostick says. "We need a better pool of athletes, so somebody like me doesn't win the trials."
OUCH!!

*Note: Back then, they had Olympic Trial events where if you won, you earned a spot on the Olympic team.

More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Twigg

The federation had invested in the development of the so-called SuperBike. Twigg, after using the bike earlier in the Games, refused to ride it, citing poor individual fit and claiming that pressure from the staff on her to use the SuperBike and their refusal to grant accreditation to her personal coach, Eddie Borysewicz, left her defocused.
I think this was the bike she rode before being offered the Superbike:

Look familiar?
Old 06-10-16, 01:38 AM
Elitist

Further:

WashingtonPost.com: Best U.S. Cyclist Quits Team

Twigg won a bronze medal in the individual pursuit in Barcelona and a silver in the road race at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. She was a heavy favorite in the individual pursuit in Atlanta after winning the world championship last year in world-record time.

She ran a discouraging race on her new SuperBike, however, and ditched the high-tech creation for her second heat. She fared no better on a conventional bike, failing to advance from Friday's quarterfinal round.

``I wasn't focused,'' Twigg said, blaming problems with her bicycle and frustrations with the U.S. Cycling Federation over its refusal to allow her personal coach to be with her at the games.

Afterward, Carmichael said he couldn't fathom how Twigg could start training in April for a race in July. He acknowledged he was ultimately responsible for his athletes, but said: ``You can't force riders to do things they don't want to.''

Twigg was infuriated.

``They've got to come up with some excuses'' she said, referring to the U.S. team's mostly dismal showing at the Olympics despite its multimillion-dollar training and technology program that produced the SuperBike.

Twigg criticized the bicycle, billed as the best on the planet. She said it wasn't properly custom-fit, and a second one was flown in the day before her competition.
Old 06-10-16, 07:52 AM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I saw pictures of the new Felts under Team USA about two or three months ago. It was a teaser shot from the handlebars up and I knew something was up because I saw some very proprietary handlebars - and when the TA/FRD was unveiled it all made sense. So they've been getting used to them for a while.

Also about that trackend design - the rear spacing is only 95mm, so one DEFINITELY can't use other wheels in that bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.