Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

CDC report on cycling fatality rates.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

CDC report on cycling fatality rates.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 03:36 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Does anyone ever know what happened to Tennessee bike Mom who went through something like this when one of her kids was riding to school? She lived in some small town down there and the whole thing ended up sounding like some updated Faulkner novel with the CPS getting involved, the police chief's son getting arrested for being a drug dealer and the mayor getting arrested after getting caught with a hooker.
It was Cherokee Schill if I recall correctly. I haven't seen anything about it since 2014, but I believe that she got arrested for defying a judge's order and then filed to run for Lieutenant Governor. I don't think she enjoyed much support for that.
Old 08-17-15, 08:16 PM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You're missing the point. These statistics do not address the likelihood of having an accident in the first place, only the extent of injuries when it does happen. There is no legislation possible that would have any effect on that. To have any effect, someone would have to invent a super-padded Kevlar bike suit, or make cars out of soft rubber. Bike safety is an entirely different issue.

Originally Posted by mconlonx
Sorry, but I just don't agree with that. I believe that over time, such statistics can and will be used effectively by advocates to support legislation at national, state, and local levels which make cycling safer. So while cyclists will still lose in motor vehicle/bicycle crashes, there may be less of such interactions.

Whenever advocates lobby for change, proof is demanded, and some proof is better than others when talking to legislators and policy-makers. Official CDC reports are very high up the ladder of reputable proof which demands attention.
Old 08-18-15, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
You're missing the point. These statistics do not address the likelihood of having an accident in the first place, only the extent of injuries when it does happen. There is no legislation possible that would have any effect on that. To have any effect, someone would have to invent a super-padded Kevlar bike suit, or make cars out of soft rubber. Bike safety is an entirely different issue.
I might be missing your point, but not the point of the report or the practical uses for which it might be applied. The report very much addresses cycling safety issues, and even suggests measures by which cycling might be made safer. Increasing bike safety is indeed the main purpose of this study.

From the study posted in the OP:

Discussion

Overall, substantial declines have been observed in cyclist mortality, ...Many factors likely contribute to trends in bicycling fatalities, including prevalence of bicycling, road design and engineering, traffic law enforcement, driver and bicyclist behavior, helmet use, and traffic volume.

...Future studies could explore recent cyclist mortality trends in greater detail by incorporating newer FARS data on crash location, road type, helmet use, distraction, or inebriation, as well as data from other sources on cycling trips and distance traveled among various age groups.

Public health goals of increased physical activity and population interest in alternatives to automobile transportation place additional focus on bicycle safety. ...Nonetheless, these shifts, combined with recent increases in the proportion of road deaths accounted for by cyclists (Figure 1), suggest an opportunity for expanding traditional road safety interventions in the United States (which have largely focused on vehicle passenger safety) with interventions designed to protect cyclists.

This report underscores the importance of improving bicycle safety in the United States with the aim of preventing fatalities. ...Several countries and some U.S. cities... have implemented multifaceted, integrated approaches to bicycling that address safety while also promoting cycling (1). Such approaches often include extensive bicycle infrastructure (e.g., physically separated bike lanes), traffic calming measures (e.g., speed humps), legal interventions (e.g., lowered speed limits), travel programs (e.g., safe routes to school), and education to encourage safe bicyclist and motorist behavior (1). Other strategies that can reduce fatalities include helmet laws and improved conspicuity of cyclists via lights and bright or reflective clothing.§ Overall, cyclist mortality has decreased in recent years, but adults remain at elevated risk. Multifaceted approaches to bicycle road safety are likely needed to ensure bicycling safety for all.
Bike safety is the entire point of this study...
Old 08-18-15, 08:36 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
You're missing the point. These statistics do not address the likelihood of having an accident in the first place, only the extent of injuries when it does happen.
Measuring risk requires evaluation of both the probability (likelihood) of an accident occurring and the likely severity of the consequences of the accident (extent of injuries).
Old 08-18-15, 08:50 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Here are MY conclusions.

11. I don't wear a helmet, ride a Dutchish bike, wear regular clothes and seldom drink, so my chances of dying are ZERO.
All are funny... but that's my favorite. I fail to see how people sometimes let themselves believe that thier odds of dying can be altered. When really all that can ever be changed is he timing. All cyclist, motorist, and pedestrians (even forum readers) are most certainly 100% doomed.
Old 08-18-15, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
All are funny... but that's my favorite. I fail to see how people sometimes let themselves believe that thier odds of dying can be altered. When really all that can ever be changed is he timing. All cyclist, motorist, and pedestrians (even forum readers) are most certainly 100% doomed.
VC people will probably beg to differ. Just take the lane...
Old 08-18-15, 11:30 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It was Cherokee Schill if I recall correctly. I haven't seen anything about it since 2014, but I believe that she got arrested for defying a judge's order and then filed to run for Lieutenant Governor. I don't think she enjoyed much support for that.
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...ersus-law.html is what I was thinking of, is that who you were referring to?
Old 08-18-15, 11:40 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...ersus-law.html is what I was thinking of, is that who you were referring to?
Nope, I was thinking of a different controversy. The Cherokee Schill saga turned out to be more tragic-comedy but there was nothing funny about the TN bike mom. I have no clue about how that turned out.
Old 08-18-15, 11:48 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Nope, I was thinking of a different controversy. The Cherokee Schill saga turned out to be more tragic-comedy but there was nothing funny about the TN bike mom. I have no clue about how that turned out.
I looked a while ago and didn't see anything. I figured that with the police chief and the mayor involved in things they'd rather not see in the paper that there probably wouldn't be much coverage in the local paper and hoped to find something on the internet.
Old 08-18-15, 01:48 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

VC people will probably beg to differ. Just take the lane...
I am a C&V person myself! And being fully self aware.... easily see the humor in that. But I get the feeling by your post that you may have missed the joke.
Old 08-18-15, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I am a C&V person myself! And being fully self aware.... easily see the humor in that. But I get the feeling by your post that you may have missed the joke.
What's the difference between a good day and a bad day?

On one of them, you die.
Old 08-18-15, 02:22 PM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Also: "Mortality rates based on population do not account for exposure to bicycling in the way that expressing deaths per unit time bicycling, distance traveled, or number of trips would. This analysis found that approximately 2% of 2009 motor vehicle–related deaths were cyclists, and data from the 2009 National Household Travel Survey suggest that travel by bicycle accounted for 0.9% of all travel time and 0.2% of all travel distance"

Measured another way, the analysis indicates that on a distance traveled basis, bicyclists die on U.S. roads at a rate 10X that of vehicle occupants.
Yep, becuase 1) vehicle riders are more protected than cyclists in any given collision and 2) passenger vehicles travel an average of 13.5k miles annualy whereas I suspect the average cyclocommuter doesn't rack up nearly that mileage. If this is true, then if vehicle riders and cyclists experienced the same amount of accidents of course the cyclists would experience a larger ratio of accidents:mile necessarily.
Old 08-18-15, 04:14 PM

What's the difference between a good day and a bad day?

On one of them, you die.
I refuse to believe that my death would escalate anybody's bad day... into a good one.
Old 08-18-15, 09:57 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Something I found interesting is the death rate in Nebraska (.08) vs the rate in Florida (.57). But IIUC those data are based on "per trip" and I guess a typical bicycle trip in Nebraska may not be anything like a trip in Florida. But it does make me wonder.

scott s.