Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front pannier racks..I don't get it

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Front pannier racks..I don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 for the Surly Nice front rack, I have Surly racks front and back on my tourer, mount your stuff low, high, whatever your bike likes. They're a little heavy, but STRONG and tons of attachment points. Mounting a pair of them on my girlfriend's tourer this weekend.
Old 08-10-16, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,739 Times in 7,401 Posts
Originally Posted by gerryl
You're asking why manufactures charge a fortune for taking maybe $10 worth of tubing, bending it and maybe welding on tab here and there and drilling a few holes?
My front rack has at least 41 welds and 10 bends. It was then plated with nickel.
Old 08-10-16, 06:06 PM

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
That does look versatile..but once I get into that price range (>$120)..there's a whole bunch of options..even the Surly rack

Dedicated touring, Surly rack is strong, low center of gravity, but heavy.
Mixed use as commuter, grocery hauler, daily ride, and can accommodate front panniers, I prefer the Soma Porteur. YMMV.
Old 08-11-16, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I put a rear rack on the front of my bike.
I'm not sure if it was yourself or another but a long time ago someone posted photos of how they took a Blackburn Expedition or a similar standard rear rack and used simple hardware found around town and created an ingenious solid front rack for next to nothing. Does anyone have those photos or remember that thread?

Edit: OK, this isn't the same thread but a couple of photos on post #10 can give you an idea. The other gentleman may have mounted his using the lower skewer of his front hub.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/73...ack-front.html

Last edited by robow; 08-11-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
As I continue to bang about the web..it appears the Jandd Extreme is pulling ahead of the pack in terms of an integrated low-ride & top rack, mounting options (I have both mid-fork and fork-end mounts on the bike), overall size..or lack of it, and price. I still think it's over-priced by about 2-3X..but..I can't make one myself, so there's not many options..

Not my bike..just an image of it mounted:
[IMG]
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-frEjYlTHmRo/TkSIU6emRmI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/g9061VdYkZY/s1600/DSC01651.JPG[/IMG]
That's a fine heavy duty rack but on some bikes the back top corner will hit the down tube if the bars are turned to the side. $.02 a very simple front rack can carry as much weight as you'd want to ever carry on the front and weigh a lot less than the Jandd rack. More important than all that metal is whether you can adjust the panniers back far enough to be in line with the fork and over or behind the front axle.
Old 08-11-16, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Fishboat, what bike and load is this rack for? Focusing on front racks in general leaves out your specific situation
Old 08-11-16, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't try this with a flimsy front platform rack. Worth all 19,000 pennies to me.
that looks like 5-10 pounds of firewood. is that heavy?
Old 08-12-16, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
FWIW, I have found the inexpensive low rider clones to be fine. Friends, family, and I have used ones from Nashbar and Performance and found them plenty adequate. I have not seen them on their sites lately though. Others have similar racks for under $20.
Old 08-12-16, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,739 Times in 7,401 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
that looks like 5-10 pounds of firewood. is that heavy?
Don't know what each bundle weighed, but they were heavy. Certainly well more than 5 lbs. each and maybe more than 10. sure beat walking a half mile with them.
Old 08-12-16, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That does look versatile..but once I get into that price range (>$120)..there's a whole bunch of options..even the Surly rack
Quite right. I opted for the Soma Porteur for my use and love it, but that is mostly because I do more around-town errands than long touring. The Soma is terrific for things that are normally awkward to carry on a bike -- you can bring home a pizza or even a watermelon on it. But the front pannier options are a bit limited. It is set up for small front panniers. I use the large front panniers from Nashbar, but they are a bit of a force-fit. And I don't use front panniers at all for my typical jaunt to a state park that is no more than a day's ride away. For full-out touring, something like the Surly rack might well be the better tool.
Old 08-12-16, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Fishboat, what bike and load is this rack for? Focusing on front racks in general leaves out your specific situation
That's true..thanks for asking..and thanks to everyone's suggestions..with this input I'm sure to arrive at a great solution.

I have a set of Nashbar front & back panniers. The back rack is a Axiom Journey.

What's the front rack for? General touring setup..to hang the Nashbar front panniers in a low-rider position. I'm leaning toward having an (integrated) rack above the tire to hold a bulky-light item. Given the apparent cost of front racks, I'd like to make the purchase once with respect to low-rider racks and a rack above the tire. If I need the top rack..it's there, if not..no biggy. If I do need it, at least I won't have to re-purchase a new front rack to get it.

An a-la-carte option would be to purchase a hoop lowrider rack (like a tubus..etc) and add a Sunlite brake-boss mounted, above tire rack if I need it..they're cheap..

The bike is below..(as a side note..I did check for heel-strike with the nashbar rear panniers..i have lots of room..no issues there)

Old 08-12-16, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by staehpj1
FWIW, I have found the inexpensive low rider clones to be fine. Friends, family, and I have used ones from Nashbar and Performance and found them plenty adequate. I have not seen them on their sites lately though. Others have similar racks for under $20.
That's part of the problem..in my research I've come across references to a number of lesser-cost front rack options and when I try to find them today...they no longer exist. It seems a number of suppliers are paring down their offerings in the front-rack area...which partly drives me asking the question I have..
Old 08-12-16, 07:49 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,575 Times in 4,225 Posts
What's the front rack for? General touring setup..to hang the Nashbar front panniers in a low-rider position. I'm leaning toward having an (integrated) rack above the tire to hold a bulky-light item. Given the apparent cost of front racks, I'd like to make the purchase once with respect to low-rider racks and a rack above the tire. If I need the top rack..it's there, if not..no biggy. If I do need it, at least I won't have to re-purchase a new front rack to get it.
Not sure if its already been mentioned as an option-
https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Tit.../dp/B01EK484ZE

Has low rider or standard higher mounting options for panniers. Also has a top platform for something thats light but bulky.
As a bonus, the top platform can be removed and the rack still has rigidity due to the hoop over the wheel making a lighter rack.

...ive been considering this for a while now.
Old 08-12-16, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Has low rider or standard higher mounting options for panniers. Also has a top platform for something thats light but bulky.
As a bonus, the top platform can be removed and the rack still has rigidity due to the hoop over the wheel making a lighter rack.

Yeah..I did see that one too and (now that I've resigned myself to not doing this at a $50 price point..sigh) it does look like a good combo of light, functional, relatively low cost..but the funky color..what's that about?? It's not unfinished metal..so they thought about a finish..keep it simple..why not black? Does look good though(from a functional standpoint).
Old 08-12-16, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Though I have Axiom bags and an Axiom rear rack that I love, even I wouldnt get that front rack based on all the reviews across so many websites.

Stabilizer bar is needed.
I think you just answered the OP's question about why decent front racks cost more! Axiom tried to do it for cheap, but it just isn't working out. When other manufacturer's know they have a better product, they can charge more.

On a side note, I use a Salsa Down Under front rack. No problems with Ortlieb front roller panniers. Mounts easy - is stable. Not too expensive either (~$55US).
Old 08-12-16, 05:25 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like "Leebo", I put a rear rack on the front. I also hang my panniers
up high like the rear ones. I also put bulky gear on top of both front
and rear racks. I've toured all over western North America with this
setup without mechanical or stability issues. My touring buddy has
the low riders and we've compared wind resistance between the two
setups and mine had less allowing me to coast faster down steep hills.
Old 08-12-16, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Lew
Like "Leebo", I put a rear rack on the front. I also hang my panniers
up high like the rear ones. I also put bulky gear on top of both front
and rear racks. I've toured all over western North America with this
setup without mechanical or stability issues. My touring buddy has
the low riders and we've compared wind resistance between the two
setups and mine had less allowing me to coast faster down steep hills.
That is an interesting approach..and much less costly. Actually I have an old Blackburn..like 30 years old..looks like new..I may have to take a look at it tomorrow..
Old 08-12-16, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by escii_35
Small market low turnover. I have broken/worn out 5 rear racks and just one front rack over 30yrs.
I've also been through a few rear racks in forty odd years of touring, but I have only had one front rack fail and it was one I picked up second-hand.

Three years ago when I picked up a custom tandem in Seattle, I brought my original 1982 Blackburn lowrider rack for the shop to put on so we could carry some front bags for our 500 mile ride home. That rack has over 100,000 miles on it and will likely go at least another 100,000. The owner and mechanics laughed and said they didn't realize when I said I was bringing an old rack that I meant ancient.
Old 08-12-16, 11:10 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
As I continue to bang about the web..it appears the Jandd Extreme is pulling ahead of the pack in terms of an integrated low-ride & top rack, mounting options (I have both mid-fork and fork-end mounts on the bike), overall size..or lack of it, and price. I still think it's over-priced by about 2-3X..but..I can't make one myself, so there's not many options..
I liked the Jandd Extreme's top platform for carrying camping stuff but it was very heavy & aluminum stay got abraded. Tubus low-riders seem like the obvious choice, sturdier steel Tara is cheaper than Jandd Extreme @ 1/3rd the weight. Camping stuff can be lashed atop rear rack. Not much we can do about niche-market prices but Tubus is supposed to last ~a lifetime, eh?
Old 08-12-16, 11:32 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently ordered the front and rear set of this line from Blackburn, but I found that when they drilled out the mounting holes during manufacturing, they let the shavings fall down inside the tubing and left them there, so they sounded like rattle cans of sorts. They made a higher-pitched clanking and ringing type noise when moved or bumped at all, and I found it to be irritating., so I returned them. Since my new bike already came with a really good rear rack stock, I just ordered a Jandd Extreme Front Rac and now I'm all set.
Old 08-13-16, 06:54 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I recently ordered the front and rear set of this line from Blackburn, but I found that when they drilled out the mounting holes during manufacturing, they let the shavings fall down inside the tubing and left them there, so they sounded like rattle cans of sorts. They made a higher-pitched clanking and ringing type noise when moved or bumped at all, and I found it to be irritating., so I returned them. Since my new bike already came with a really good rear rack stock, I just ordered a Jandd Extreme Front Rac and now I'm all set.
before returning the front rack, did you mount bags to it? I understand how bags could be mounted high, but dont see how they could be mounted low due to the curved bottom of the rack.
Its a high and low ride rack though.
Is there a mount that attaches to the point area to hook bags onto the rack?
Old 08-13-16, 07:22 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
before returning the front rack, did you mount bags to it? I understand how bags could be mounted high, but dont see how they could be mounted low due to the curved bottom of the rack.
As I was mounting them and realized the jangling racket they were making I immediately stopped the install, inspected them, tried to get the loose metal shavings out but couldn't, so I just put them back into the box and shipped them off for a refund. So unfortunately no, I didn't even bother trying them out in any way. I will say that they were remarkably light weight, and very beautifully built aside from the issue with the metal bits rattling around inside them.

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 08-13-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Outpost front rack and Ortlieb Front Rollers mount low quite nicely. I'll try to shoot a picture this weekend. I really like the rack BTW...
Old 08-13-16, 08:03 AM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by edthesped
I have the Outpost front rack and Ortlieb Front Rollers mount low quite nicely. I'll try to shoot a picture this weekend. I really like the rack BTW...
Yes please do!
What will really be funny(and by funny, I also mean kinda sad) is that the company responded to an email question from me with this quoted text- "I did do some research and unfortunately, the rack was not setup to work in the lower position."

I emailed them asking how the pannier mounts in the low position since nothing online(all the pics and reviews) mention or show the rack being used in the lowrider position.

This doesnt inspire confidence in the product when the company doesnt know what their own product can and cant do.
...but such is the world of outsourced manufacturing and large companies overseeing/managing multiple brands across multiple consumer categories.
Old 08-13-16, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes please do!
What will really be funny(and by funny, I also mean kinda sad) is that the company responded to an email question from me with this quoted text- "I did do some research and unfortunately, the rack was not setup to work in the lower position."

I emailed them asking how the pannier mounts in the low position since nothing online(all the pics and reviews) mention or show the rack being used in the lowrider position.

This doesnt inspire confidence in the product when the company doesnt know what their own product can and cant do.
...but such is the world of outsourced manufacturing and large companies overseeing/managing multiple brands across multiple consumer categories.
I may have misled you. The bag won't mount on the lowest horizontal bar. It mounts on the middle bar. See attached pictures.

Edit: I feel so self conscious about posting pictures of my bikes as they're never as clean as everyone elses...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC037030001.jpg (89.7 KB, 220 views)
DSC037040002.jpg (92.4 KB, 218 views)
DSC037050003.jpg (102.5 KB, 217 views)
DSC037060004.jpg (88.1 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by edthesped; 08-13-16 at 09:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.