Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Commuting Attire

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Commuting Attire

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 09:05 PM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Regular clothes. The core is the most important so I layer up top with T-shirt, wool military sweater, wind breaker vest. Some times I wear a hockey jersey just for laughs when it be really cold. Shorts only all winter. Wool hat and brown Cotten gloves for the hands. Temps around here are mostly in the 20-50 range.
Old 12-14-19, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I stopped winter riding not because I was too cold, but because I felt that all the face-covering and heavy clothing I had to wear hindered my ability to see and to react quickly to emergencies. How do you winter commuters feel about that, and how do you deal with it?
Old 12-14-19, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I stopped winter riding not because I was too cold, but because I felt that all the face-covering and heavy clothing I had to wear hindered my ability to see and to react quickly to emergencies. How do you winter commuters feel about that, and how do you deal with it?
No face covering. I find Turtle Fur and goggles are essential for skiing at -30 F, but for typical Washington, DC, temperatures, they are not needed. It's kind of a new thing -- kids walking to school in subzero temperatures never bothered. don't wear heavy clothing -- my coat is non-insulated GorTex. In fact, when people at my office decide to walk outside for lunch, it's a cons trip for me, because I am way underdressed by walking standards.
Old 12-14-19, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It’s not only clothing that will keep you warm. Remember your body! Good blood circulation is important. So eat and drink healthy too. Vitamins!

When arriving at your destination, take a shower or dry off sweat as much as possible. Maybe put a spare, dry shirt on.
Add e.g. a fleece to (temporary) combat cooldown, and a neck warmer or even hat depending conditions.
Old 12-15-19, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Generally lightweight jeans that are tight enough to stay off my chainring, a t-shirt and light jacket. (PHX, AZ)
Old 12-16-19, 11:59 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I read this thread before heading out today. It's in the 30s F, and it's damp and windy, so I bundled up, possibly more than necessary. Nothing hurt except maybe my face a tiny bit, but it was certainly tolerable. When I got inside, I noticed my toes were a little cold, but I didn't notice it on the bike. If my ride were longer, it would have been a problem, but it's less than 40 minutes. In fact, I was so warm that I had to slow down to prevent myself from building up too much heat. I definitely should tape up my shoes, as they are designed for cooling in the summer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-19, 06:17 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Covering face and sightlines with balaclava or goggles can be a problem if you ride in heavy traffic. I've not experienced that on my own commute. A thin balaclava that covers the lower half of my face and goggles on top works well, and doesn't obscure my visibility. But my route is lightly travelled by vehicles, and I only usually have to deal with one car at a time.
Old 12-16-19, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Covering face and sightlines with balaclava or goggles can be a problem if you ride in heavy traffic. I've not experienced that on my own commute.

A thin balaclava that covers the lower half of my face and goggles on top works well, and doesn't obscure my visibility. But my route is lightly travelled by vehicles, and I only usually have to deal with one car at a time.
Two days ago I posted,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"What are the closest calls you've had that could've been deadly?"

This post reminded me of probably my closest call, though I have been seriously hit.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Any close calls recently?"

This past Tuesday I was riding on a dark two lane, but lightly traveled suburban road, as the car commuters were starting to come out. In my winter dress swaddling my head and neck, my head mobility and peripheral vision is restricted though I use a rearview eyeglass mounted mirror [two, left and right (link)].

Originally Posted by velopig
Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win!
I came to afour-way intersection for a left turn, and though the coast was clear, instead of taking the far left of my lane and turning, I decided to cross the lane since it was clear, stop at a median, look for oncoming cars, and then proceed (perpendicular to the road) through my turn.

Well I didn’t notice the edge of the brick curb (not a light-colored concrete one), even with my headlight, because there was little contrast between the curb edge and the blacktop road surface, and down I went into the middle of the oncoming lane...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-17-19 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added photo and quote by velopig
Old 12-17-19, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
0-3/4C- thermal bib tights, wool socks, baselayer, cycling jersey, windproof jacket, maybe a merino wool jumper if it's really windy, winter cycling boots and fleece hat. Gripgrab winter gloves or lighter gloves and bar mitts.
On the odd day when it dips below freezing, swap out the cycling jersey for the winter cycling jersey, definitely add the merino wool jumper, and maybe an additional pair of thermals underneath my bib tights. Thicker wool socks and balaclava. Everything else stays the same.
Adding bar mitts to my handlebars has made the biggest difference overall. Looks silly, but I have warm hands.
Old 12-17-19, 05:05 PM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I start with a velomobile, so I don't really need much protection from wind or weather (when I get the full cap for it, it will be completely enclosed). So the only thing I need to deal with is the cold. On my commute to work (5 miles), within about the first 2 miles, the inside temp in the velo is a full 20-25 degrees warmer than outside. I only wear medium weight leggings (good to about 50F for me on my regular bike) a light bike jacket (non-wind/water proof) and light gloves. The only part that gets cold are my feet, and my new shoes are being delivered today.

So far, I've ridden in temps as low as the low teens, and other than my feet, I'm fine.
Old 12-17-19, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I start with a velomobile, so I don't really need much protection from wind or weather (when I get the full cap for it, it will be completely enclosed). So the only thing I need to deal with is the cold. On my commute to work (5 miles), within about the first 2 miles, the inside temp in the velo is a full 20-25 degrees warmer than outside. I only wear medium weight leggings (good to about 50F for me on my regular bike) a light bike jacket (non-wind/water proof) and light gloves. The only part that gets cold are my feet, and my new shoes are being delivered today.

So far, I've ridden in temps as low as the low teens, and other than my feet, I'm fine.
Photograph of the velomobile, by chance?
Old 12-18-19, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Photograph of the velomobile, by chance?

This is the configuration it is currently in, although in cold weather, I add a cover that closes off the opening and just leaves my head out.

My shoes arrived yesterday, and after a quick trip to the local bike shop to get some appropriate SPD cleats, I used them to ride in this morning. My feet were much MUCH happier. Not actually warm, but comfortable. The temps were in the mid teens, and it's a 5 mile commute to work. We just had a wind advisory pop up, so the ride home might be a little sporty (winds ~30 mph) with a wind chill of below 0F. I'm usually riding at ~25 mph anyway on the way home, so it will be about what I'm used to.

This is the shoe I got (I got a 'scuffed' model, just happened to be in my size, for $68. I can't see any scuffing at all, but it's a steal!)
https://www.fizik.com/us_en/artica-x5.html

Before next winter, I will get a full 'race' cap for it, and fabricate some foot hole covers so it will be completely enclosed.

Race cap:
https://www.velomobielonderdelen.nl/...onvezel-strada

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 12-18-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane

This is the configuration it is currently in, although in cold weather, I add a cover that closes off the opening and just leaves my head out.

My shoes arrived yesterday, and after a quick trip to the local bike shop to get some appropriate SPD cleats, I used them to ride in this morning. My feet were much MUCH happier. Not actually warm, but comfortable. The temps were in the mid teens, and it's a 5 mile commute to work. We just had a wind advisory pop up, so the ride home might be a little sporty (winds ~30 mph) with a wind chill of below 0F. I'm usually riding at ~25 mph anyway on the way home, so it will be about what I'm used to.

This is the shoe I got (I got a 'scuffed' model, just happened to be in my size, for $68. I can't see any scuffing at all, but it's a steal!)
https://www.fizik.com/us_en/artica-x5.html

Before next winter, I will get a full 'race' cap for it, and fabricate some foot hole covers so it will be completely enclosed.

Race cap:
https://www.velomobielonderdelen.nl/...onvezel-strada
That is just insanely cool looking.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-18-19, 11:14 AM

Honestly, it's fun as hell too. It's slow to get going and really slow uphills (70 lbs in commuting trim), but my level ground cruising speed is 4-5 mph faster than my recumbent bike, and it absolutely flies with even a slight downhill.

The aerodynamics are so good, that the coast down speed in the velo is much faster than even the coast down speed on my sportbike (CBR600RR). I've hit 65 mph in it so far.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 12-18-19, 06:54 PM
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet of the temperature, humidity, wind, and activity with what I wore colour-coded by my satisfaction of it. It really helps when getting a new winter piece or trying a new combination. I only started keeping track this winter, so I've only got down to 32F planned out perfectly. Below that, I'm still experimenting.
Old 12-18-19, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I keep a spreadsheet of the temperature, humidity, wind, and activity with what I wore colour-coded by my satisfaction of it. It really helps when getting a new winter piece or trying a new combination. I only started keeping track this winter, so I've only got down to 32F planned out perfectly. Below that, I'm still experimenting.
And people call me compulsive...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-22-19, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
We do get cold here in Michigan but my clothing is pretty simple. I wear Terramar wool long underwear under lightweight nylon pants, sweater under a Lands End ski parka with a pair of hunter's mittens which have a pocket for a hand warmer in extreme cold. I add a wool neck gaiter from Chrome when the wind chill is uncomfortable.
Marc
Old 12-22-19, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Necrohazard
I don't even have a bike that could get me anywhere in the winter (NE OH here), but I'm curious: for those of you who commute in cold/snowy weather, what sort of clothing/layering system do you employ? Brands and such would be appreciated. And how do you feel when you get to your destination? I am certain no matter what I wore my entire face would freeze off.
I’m in Western PA, so we have the same climate. Couple Qs: How long is your commute? What kind of job and attire?
Old 12-23-19, 12:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
My Magic Parka by Tucano Urbano takes care of most of the issues during most of the year. My wife got one now too.

https://www.fahrzeit.si/2019/11/21/t...zur-regencape/

Old 12-23-19, 05:16 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
My Magic Parka by Tucano Urbano takes care of most of the issues during most of the year. My wife got one now too
thats intriguing. Lots to like. Surprised by the dark color tho. It’s hard enough to see us when it’s raining as it is. Live that it has many features if regular clothing like that zip security pocket
Old 12-23-19, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thats intriguing. Lots to like. Surprised by the dark color tho. It’s hard enough to see us when it’s raining as it is. Live that it has many features if regular clothing like that zip security pocket
Their specialty used to be motorcycle and scooter clothing with this dark blue, nearly black, being their standard color for everything. They branched into the cycling apparel with that Magic Parka only a few years ago and it had to be successful since they quickly diversified their cycling line. Right now I think the Parka is also available in brown. It has reflective elements that shine bright. I had to restitch straps for attaching the liner and redo thumb loops, but that is relatively little for such a complex garment. It became an extension of my body for much of the year.