Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Eye see what you did there
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Right on! Mine is a 58 and barely fits. Almost wish they made a slightly bigger bag for the larger frames.

I remember it barely fitting, and it would only go in one way.

I actually thought the S&S cases were even slightly smaller.
In what is now the distant past I was involved in developing optimal use of material software for the lumber manufacturing industry. Same idea, wiggle stuff around until it all fits.

The reason I might get the S&S case is that it is more protective. I believe it is a little bit thinner than the Ritchey. Ritchey cases are 62" and I believe I have heard that the S&S are 60". Both are large enough to fit a 700C wheel.

I haven't had to completely deflate or remove the tires. The GP5000 are pretty thin and I have been able to force them in the case. The Ritchey case does have a little bit of give to it. They are a real tight fit. I do remove the fork from the frame.

I think with your new group set that you can easily remove the cranks, so that should not be in the way. Bars are another place you might want to check. I'm running wide bars, but I've thought about going to 44 or 42 cm bars.
Old 12-09-22, 01:04 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Boosted and Flu'd. First year getting the "65+" version of the flu shot. Not sure whether to be honored or insulted.
Kudos.

That said, I generally suggest you stagger your shots by a week or so, to allow your body to recover from the, ahem, insult.
Old 12-09-22, 01:06 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Kudos.

That said, I generally suggest you stagger your shots by a week or so, to allow your body to recover from the, ahem, insult.
I still have Shingrix to do this month, so I thought it best to get these two out of the way. That, and I have avoidance issues, so I figure it's better to roll these two together.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-22, 01:08 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

About to get on the trainer for an attempt at some miles, still battling a cough, and congestion. Noticed this, looks fresh (no rust). Any recommendations on what to do to keep this from rusting?
Wipe carefully with alcohol and use hail polish. I have had good luck matching colors. One time the store let me take the nail polish out to the bike to match the
colors. It dries fast and it's very hard/strong.
Old 12-09-22, 01:10 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I still have Shingrix to do this month, so I thought it best to get these two out of the way. That, and I have avoidance issues, so I figure it's better to roll these two together.
I advise you get the shingrix when you plan to NOT ride or do anything important the next day. Hear me now and believe me later.
Old 12-09-22, 01:10 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

One problem with spending a lot of time on Redfin (or other realty websites) when you're not planning to move for at least a couple years is that I find places I really like, and "favorite" them so that Mrs. GJ will see them, and then they sell and I get a case of FOMO, which is dumb because the fact that I keep finding things I like means that there are plenty of houses I'd like in Pittsburgh.

Still thinking about Lancaster, though - closer to where I grew up, a smaller city but still a city. Also less hilly for riding and walking...

Old 12-09-22, 01:12 PM
Should Be More Popular

One problem with spending a lot of time on Redfin (or other realty websites) when you're not planning to move for at least a couple years is that I find places I really like, and "favorite" them so that Mrs. GJ will see them, and then they sell and I get a case of FOMO, which is dumb because the fact that I keep finding things I like means that there are plenty of houses I'd like in Pittsburgh.

Still thinking about Lancaster, though - closer to where I grew up, a smaller city but still a city. Also less hilly for riding and walking...
The riding in the Amish sections of Lancaster County are BEAUTIFUL....and the cars are very patient because they are used to Amish buggies etc. I am sure indyfabz can confirm.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-09-22, 01:16 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I advise you get the shingrix when you plan to NOT ride or do anything important the next day. Hear me now and believe me later.
This will be my SECOND Shingrix, so I already knew. Last time I did the COVID booster and Shingrix together. Never again.

Even today, my plan is not to ride. Mostly flu shots have not bothered me and the COVID shots lead to a bit of fatigue which is cured by a 2 hr nap.

Old 12-09-22, 01:20 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The riding in the Amish sections of Lancaster County are BEAUTIFUL....and the cars are very patient because they are used to Amish buggies etc. I am sure indyfabz can confirm.
I'm thinking of shipping one of my bikes to the sister who now owns The Ancestral Home. That would allow me to have one of my own bikes when we visit PA to scope out Pgh and maybe Lancaster. I asked her about a place to keep it that's dry, and she suggested one of the garages. My recollection is, that one doesn't have a lock. I think I need to clarify that....

Old 12-09-22, 01:21 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Wipe carefully with alcohol and use hail polish. I have had good luck matching colors. One time the store let me take the nail polish out to the bike to match the
colors. It dries fast and it's very hard/strong.
Years ago, metallic blue might have been a hard nail polish to find. These days it's probably pretty tame.

Old 12-09-22, 01:26 PM
Should Be More Popular

I'm thinking of shipping one of my bikes to the sister who now owns The Ancestral Home. That would allow me to have one of my own bikes when we visit PA to scope out Pgh and maybe Lancaster. I asked her about a place to keep it that's dry, and she suggested one of the garages. My recollection is, that one doesn't have a lock. I think I need to clarify that....
I am much more familiar with the areas to the East of Lancaster, I do believe that's where the Amish concentration is higher. It's quite pretty to the west but the drivers might be less tolerant of slow-moving vehicles there. Look into places with funny names like Paradise or Intercourse or Bird-in-Hand.
Old 12-09-22, 01:29 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
This will be my SECOND Shingrix, so I already knew. Last time I did the COVID booster and Shingrix together. Never again.

Even today, my plan is not to ride. Mostly flu shots have not bothered me and the COVID shots lead to a bit of fatigue which is cured by a 2 hr nap.
My second shot was every bit as bad as the first, if that's any encouragement.
Old 12-09-22, 01:30 PM
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Same
Old 12-09-22, 01:32 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I am much more familiar with the areas to the East of Lancaster, I do believe that's where the Amish concentration is higher. It's quite pretty to the west but the drivers might be less tolerant of slow-moving vehicles there. Look into places with funny names like Paradise or Intercourse or Bird-in-Hand.
Blue Ball, etc. As Dad said, "New Orleans may have a Streetcar Named Desire, but Lancaster County has a bus called Intercourse." I doubt he was the first to say it, though.

I discovered recently that the old Hamilton Watch factory had been converted to condos. That would align with another of my interests, though my watch collection is almost entirely Elgins. However, Elgin dynamited their old factory in Elgin IL back in 1964, so there's no comparable condos. And they'd be in Illinois, anyway, which doesn't interest me at all.(sorry, trainsnorter!)

Old 12-09-22, 01:34 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, my health through the whole Pandemic has been so good, the only time I've felt sick was after Shingrix #1. Not looking forward to #2.

Old 12-09-22, 01:34 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Same
...but neither compared with the Moderna experience. I finally switched to Pfizer for the second booster, which was a piece of cake.
Old 12-09-22, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
In what is now the distant past I was involved in developing optimal use of material software for the lumber manufacturing industry. Same idea, wiggle stuff around until it all fits.

The reason I might get the S&S case is that it is more protective. I believe it is a little bit thinner than the Ritchey. Ritchey cases are 62" and I believe I have heard that the S&S are 60". Both are large enough to fit a 700C wheel.

I haven't had to completely deflate or remove the tires. The GP5000 are pretty thin and I have been able to force them in the case. The Ritchey case does have a little bit of give to it. They are a real tight fit. I do remove the fork from the frame.

I think with your new group set that you can easily remove the cranks, so that should not be in the way. Bars are another place you might want to check. I'm running wide bars, but I've thought about going to 44 or 42 cm bars.
I run 40 for bars, but the bike came with massive wide bars when I bought it. Must have been 46, I never measured.
Old 12-09-22, 01:37 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...but neither compared with the Moderna experience. I finally switched to Pfizer for the second booster, which was a piece of cake.
As it happens, I had done Pfizer for #1-3, but switched to Moderna for #4, which I did at the same time as Shingrix. The bivalent I just got is Pfizer. Here's hoping.

Old 12-09-22, 02:17 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts

I was eyeing this property by Harrisburg. 2.5 acres, Must love trains!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M99502-15754
Old 12-09-22, 02:18 PM

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Wow! What a string of horrors! One thing at a time, I guess. I'll be thinking of you and please update.
Old 12-09-22, 02:29 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I was eyeing this property by Harrisburg. 2.5 acres, Must love trains!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M99502-15754
Wow! Looks like you get your own siding!

Old 12-09-22, 02:37 PM
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Blue Ball, etc. As Dad said, "New Orleans may have a Streetcar Named Desire, but Lancaster County has a bus called Intercourse." I doubt he was the first to say it, though.

I discovered recently that the old Hamilton Watch factory had been converted to condos. That would align with another of my interests, though my watch collection is almost entirely Elgins. However, Elgin dynamited their old factory in Elgin IL back in 1964, so there's no comparable condos. And they'd be in Illinois, anyway, which doesn't interest me at all.(sorry, trainsnorter!)
The RGM Watch Co. is in the Lancaster area. Part-time retirement job?
Old 12-09-22, 02:43 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
datlas, I just saw a thread where someone bought a Sony 75Z9K ($6k or so I think) from Amazon and got a 75X95K ($2k maybe). All wrapped up and labelled as the Z9K, wondered why it wasn't performing as expected and someone told him to check the menu where it says. Unclear whether it was a third-party seller, though I suspect it was.

Prime is dropping closer to a streaming service for me every day.
Old 12-09-22, 03:08 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
The RGM Watch Co. is in the Lancaster area. Part-time retirement job?
Trust me, I am WAY below RGM's skill level. Though I am tickled that there is a company in America making watch movements again, since Hamilton stopped in 1969.

Old 12-09-22, 03:42 PM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
datlas, I just saw a thread where someone bought a Sony 75Z9K ($6k or so I think) from Amazon and got a 75X95K ($2k maybe). All wrapped up and labelled as the Z9K, wondered why it wasn't performing as expected and someone told him to check the menu where it says. Unclear whether it was a third-party seller, though I suspect it was.

Prime is dropping closer to a streaming service for me every day.
I think Amazon is great… If Amazon is the seller, they often won’t make you even return the item if you complain enough - especially if it’s not what you ordered.I never had to return my faux chain, I just threw it out.

I ordered an inflatable SUP this past summer that got lost in the mail. Amazon shipped another to me and when the original order showed up two weeks later, they told me I didn’t have to send it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.