Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Jan de mol jdm racing frameset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Jan de mol jdm racing frameset

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I know Ad van Empel did (maybe among others) business with Martens and Weymans.
Old 01-12-22, 09:12 PM
SAARF WAS WRONG!

Bikes: Colnago: Supers '79/'80, '81, '89 (Piu), '91/'92 (Piu); Mexico '82/'83. Basso "Gap" '84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Translation is correct. I'm pretty sure Jan de Mol on FB is the right one, we share four FB-friends and a lot of cyclists on his list, many in the neighbourhood of Heeswjk. Guess he's not so FB-ish.
And it's not that strange those oldies with their name on it, probably the amount was very little .. I never saw one or even heard of it and it's 35 km from where I live.
I received a reply on FB from Jan De Mol. He has confirmed that he is not the same individual as the previous shop owner, but just a namesake. Still, he was aware of the bike shop and provided to me the link I had already used for contacting them. Perhaps it was not the first time he has been confused with the other Jan. Nice chap though; we had a short conversation.

Interesting all the connections between Dutch shops and brands. I had seen the Empella brand before when researching. I was able to view 3 Empella examples, but none displayed the same frame characteristics as the JDM frame from what I could see I have since sent Empella a message with a link to this thread so maybe more information will be forthcoming.
Likes For le bici di jaco:
Old 01-13-22, 03:51 AM

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by le bici di jaco
Interesting all the connections between Dutch shops and brands. I had seen the Empella brand before when researching. I was able to view 3 Empella examples, but none displayed the same frame characteristics as the JDM frame from what I could see I have since sent Empella a message with a link to this thread so maybe more information will be forthcoming.
Better not to be too straightforward comparing the models. These pictures show two versions of the same Empella model, the Turbo. They're about the same age, one is build by Martens, the other by by Weymans. Uniformity was not that important those days.

And, Ad van Empel sometimes bought frames he'd liked and sold them. Far as I know is this the only Empella-Altec.

Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 01-20-22, 08:42 AM
SAARF WAS WRONG!

Bikes: Colnago: Supers '79/'80, '81, '89 (Piu), '91/'92 (Piu); Mexico '82/'83. Basso "Gap" '84

Better not to be too straightforward comparing the models. Two versions of the same Empella model, the Turbo. They're about the same age, one is build by Martens, the other by by Weymans. Uniformity was not that important those days.
And, Ad van Empel sometimes bought frames he'd liked and sold them.
Thanks for those examples. None match as far as I can see. I am only going by actual frame features; primarily the seat stay cap treatment since it seems the most distinctive among other frames I have, or that I have seen; unfortunately, it is a more difficult feature to discern without having detailed photos. The head lug design and cut-outs seem fairly commonplace comparatively.
I have yet to receive any message from Empella; it may be to far in the past to be of any concern to them, although it would be nice to get a response in kind regardless if they can provide any information or not. I might have to see if I can contact Ad in a more direct manner since I don't know it he is involved with that shop anymore given that he established it circa 1981.
Old 01-20-22, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by le bici di jaco
I might have to see if I can contact Ad in a more direct manner since I don't know it he is involved with that shop anymore given that he established it circa 1981.
He's still the owner and involved. He's on FB too ...
Old 02-08-22, 12:00 AM
SAARF WAS WRONG!

He's still the owner and involved. He's on FB too ...
I feel like a fool on facebook (already closed my original account and probably close my new one as well; I never go there!), plus I find it to be an untrustworthy site. I will try a direct email from my account to the shop's address directing it to Ad and see how that goes. My first message was through the the shop's 'contact us' option; I find those aren't always taken to heart if not directly about business so I'll see what I can do in a more direct manner.

Velo Retro Course has been trying to assist me as well.