Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
There's no substitute for going over the bars....
A substitute for going over the bars is NOT going over the bars.

Or you can just strap on a helmet and not worry about any of this stuff (bad idea).
I've found that I can wear a helmet *AND* do many other things at the same time. Including "worry." Funny that.

Disclaimer: I currently can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Docs recommended I don't chew gum and walk at the same time.

Docs also recommend that I use either a cane or trekking poles. I chose poles. They didn't recommend a walking helmet.

(BTW, trekking poles come with unsolicited "jokes" about ski poles. Even in talking-to-strangers adverse Manhattan.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-27-19 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 1,367 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Aikido- learning how to hit the ground without getting hurt. Without hitting your head. It is relevant to cycling for the same reason helmets are, and relevant to the discussion because the background qualifies someone's opinion about likely possibilities during falls and crashes. As opposed to someone who has just crshed a few times.
If people think that helmet laws reduce interest in cycling, requiring people to do years of Aikido training would do that even more.

You have no idea how well this would work generally.

Cycling should be restricted to dojos.
Old 03-27-19, 05:21 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
If people think that helmet laws reduce interest in cycling, requiring people to do years of Aikido training would do that even more.
Nice straw man.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for a cyclist to have training in falling. Would be a lot more useful in my opinion than someone loosely strapping styrofoam to their head.

Cycling should be restricted to dojos.
And another!
Old 03-27-19, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If people think that helmet laws reduce interest in cycling, requiring people to do years of Aikido training would do that even more..
Did someone tell you that I was saying that helmet laws reduce interest? Or did you make that up out of desperation?

Did I say that people should all generally learn Aikido before getting on bikes? Did I even recommend that anyone do it? Or did you make that up also, for lack of a point?
Old 03-28-19, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by joejack951
It certainly wouldn't hurt for a cyclist to have training in falling. Would be a lot more useful in my opinion than someone loosely strapping styrofoam to their head.
It is absolutely helpful, more so than wearing a helmet in some respects. But he's just veering off on a wild tangent instead of answering a basic question: why he thought the width of a helmet would NOT make it more likely to bump your head in a fall.

My answer is I know it almost certainly because of many hundreds of falls in Aikido. You learn where your head is. I also know from bike crashes that going through the same motions, they are reasonably comparable. It is not unlikely, based on my knowledge and experience, for there to be less than three inches clearance when you don't bump your head. It has nothing to do with advocating any specific training for bicyclists.

I'll add also that in my youth long before any martial arts training, I spent countless hours off-road motorcycling, and my recollection of those inevitable spills is that the general motions - when you've learned to protect yourself - are similar. Nothing as effective and polished as being taught by a black belt, but comparable. Of course, you're trying to protect your head as a priority, rolls if you can. So that also makes me confident that I can relate my experience to bicycle crashes in general.

Readers can take it or leave it, but on the one hand you've got someone mocking the whole idea as "riding too close to something" and on the other hand, someone with at least some related background willing to discuss it.
Old 03-28-19, 09:42 AM

why he thought the width of a helmet would NOT make it more likely to bump your head in a fall.
Wearing a helmet makes it more likely that you'll bump your HELMET in a fall compared to not wearing a helmet in a fall. That's not a bug, that's a feature.

-mr. bill
Old 03-28-19, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wearing a helmet makes it more likely that you'll bump your HELMET in a fall compared to not wearing a helmet in a fall. That's not a bug, that's a feature.

-mr. bill
At the risk of belaboring the obvious, when you bump your helmet, you bump your head inside the helmet. Your head experiences an impact. You aren't bringing up any new point in this discussion.

The valid point that the other person was making, is that the impact ("bump your head") is more likely given the extra width of the helmet. I stated at the outset that while it IS more likely, it remains to be proven how damaging those impacts are in practice vs the mitigation that the helmet provides.
Old 03-28-19, 10:20 AM

...It remains to be proven how damaging those impacts are in practice vs the mitigation that the helmet provides.
Passive voice. YOU have yet to prove.

-mr. bill
Old 03-28-19, 10:31 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked 3,935 Times in 2,559 Posts
It is absolutely helpful, more so than wearing a helmet in some respects. But he's just veering off on a wild tangent instead of answering a basic question: why he thought the width of a helmet would NOT make it more likely to bump your head in a fall.

My answer is I know it almost certainly because of many hundreds of falls in Aikido. You learn where your head is. I also know from bike crashes that going through the same motions, they are reasonably comparable. It is not unlikely, based on my knowledge and experience, for there to be less than three inches clearance when you don't bump your head. It has nothing to do with advocating any specific training for bicyclists.

I've been wearing helmets for sports, cycling and work most of my life. I still don't know where my helmet boundaries are but I know very, very well where my head stops. I have hit helmets hard on low overheads that I would clear every time with a bare head. I've hit my helmet on bike crashes that were primarily slides and lost skin where without the helmet I might have had a few hairs pulled out but there would have been no other contact.

I've also hit my head hard wearing helmets where getting by bareheaded wasn't an option. In one case, no helmet would have meant death or permanent vegetable; no maybe there. So I just take those with-helmet knocks I would have otherwise avoided as part of the game. (I cracked my sternum once in a car accident from the shoulder harness.)

Ben
Old 03-28-19, 10:41 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked 3,935 Times in 2,559 Posts
At the risk of belaboring the obvious, when you bump your helmet, you bump your head inside the helmet. Your head experiences an impact. You aren't bringing up any new point in this discussion.

The valid point that the other person was making, is that the impact ("bump your head") is more likely given the extra width of the helmet. I stated at the outset that while it IS more likely, it remains to be proven how damaging those impacts are in practice vs the mitigation that the helmet provides.

-mr. bill
I offer my experience. Lived through a major crash wearing a helmet. (See my post above.) Suffered several minor concussions in lessor crashes where no helmet might have mitigated them.

Those several concussions, even if all avoidable not wearing a helmet, pale in comparison to the big hit I took 40 years ago. (And those concussions may well have been due to what I call "loose brain syndrome" frm my big crash. Yes, I made that term up but any NFL lineman would get instantly what I am ralking about.)

So, mr bill, I offer myself as one example. Yes wphamilton has yet to prove, but I have. I'll spare him the burden.

Ben
Old 03-28-19, 11:21 AM

-mr. bill
Again, you're making no sense whatsoever because I haven't claimed that wearing a helmet is detrimental due to more impacts. *I* don't have any need to prove that. In fact, if you insist on MY opinion (and it appears that you do given this) I don't even care because the probabilities are so slight in either case.

Stop with the non sequiturs already.
Old 03-28-19, 01:34 PM

I don't even care because the probabilities are so slight in either case.
At the risk of being painfully obvious. Bump your helmet. Bump your head. Feel the difference?

But since it's opening day, in other sports:

Getting H-HBP (head-hit-by-pitch) in MLB is a rare event. (Approximately once in every 60,000 pitches results in a H-HPB. In a season a team typically faces 24,000 pitches. An individual batter faces much less than 3,000 pitches per year. The average MLB career is less than 6 years.)

A player, more likely than not, will NEVER be awarded a base because of a H-HBP in their MLB career.

And yes, some players each season advance to first base because a pitch hit them in the helmet, and we can look at the replay and determine that individual pitch would have missed them had the player not been wearing a helmet. Yet batters still wear helmets. Yes they are required to. WHO CARES?

(332 replies says you do.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-28-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
There's no substitute for going over the bars a few times, .
Better yet go to the bar you will feel better then going over the bar.
Old 03-29-19, 08:26 AM

Did I say that people should all generally learn Aikido before getting on bikes? Did I even recommend that anyone do it? Or did you make that up also, for lack of a point?
So, it's irrelevant.
Old 03-29-19, 08:30 AM

Nice straw man.
No, it's an exaggeration to point out that "years of Aikido" training is irrelevant.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for a cyclist to have training in falling.
So what? That's obvious. But having a result of "it wouldn't hurt" is useless. It also doesn't seem that it's something that would ever be done generally.

Would be a lot more useful in my opinion than someone loosely strapping styrofoam to their head.
But you really have no idea whether it would be "more useful" in fact. You making the same sorts of bad arguments that you are arguing against.

And another!
You have no idea what "straw man" means.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 08:46 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
No, it's an exaggeration to point out that "years of Aikido" training is irrelevant.
Ah, yes, semantics, so that you can be right, because you're never wrong. Got it.

So what? That's obvious. But having a result of "it wouldn't hurt" is useless. It also doesn't seem that it's something that would ever be done generally.
Questioning the validity of helmets is also something that is never done generally. But look at how many pages we cyclists can fill doing just that. Perhaps if mainstream thinking were biased more toward a proactive approach to avoiding head injuries in general things might improve. The passive approach is far easier, of course, disregarding how useful it may or may not be.

But you really have no idea whether it would be "more useful" in fact. You making the same sorts of bad arguments that you are arguing against.
*In general* not hitting your head is preferable to hitting your helmeted head.

You have no idea what "straw man" means.
Just another exaggeration which you claim is not a straw man? Got it.
Old 03-29-19, 08:59 AM

And another!
Aikido is almost always practiced on mats. That suggests that these techniques of "avoiding hitting your head" isn't sufficient. It makes no sense to guess that these techniques would work as well in a very different environment without mats.

Ah, yes, semantics, so that you can be right, because you're never wrong. Got it.
Your confusion is yours.

*In general* not hitting your head is preferable to hitting your helmeted head.
Cyclists appear to already avoid hitting their heads very well. You have no idea whether this magical training would any real effect on the number of head hits that still occur.

Perhaps if mainstream thinking were biased more toward a proactive approach to avoiding head injuries in general things might improve. The passive approach is far easier, of course, disregarding how useful it may or may not be.
"Perhaps". But it's not the current situation.
​​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:26 PM

Aikido is almost always practiced on mats. That suggests that these techniques of "avoiding hitting your head" isn't sufficient. It makes no sense to guess that these techniques would work as well in a very different environment without mats.
I wasn't going to respond to your current remarks ... but here you're just expressing an opinion without knowledge of the subject.

1. We often practice on other surfaces, and in recent years I've done more on the grass than in a dojo. I've practiced falls and rolls in paved parking lots.

2. We don't "guess" that the techniques work in different environments. We have the knowledge and experience to know. You're guessing, and your guesses are incorrect.
Old 03-30-19, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

I wasn't going to respond to your current remarks ... but here you're just expressing an opinion without knowledge of the subject.

1. We often practice on other surfaces, and in recent years I've done more on the grass than in a dojo. I've practiced falls and rolls in paved parking lots.

2. We don't "guess" that the techniques work in different environments. We have the knowledge and experience to know. You're guessing, and your guesses are incorrect.
So you practice your falls and rolls using a bicycle simulating crashes on paved parking lots?
Old 03-30-19, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by greatscott
So you practice your falls and rolls using a bicycle simulating crashes on paved parking lots?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you didn't misread "Aikido is almost always practiced on mats".

So your implication is that someone should be "simulating crashes" with a bicycle. If so, frankly that's a dumb idea. It's not necessary and there's no difference.
Old 03-30-19, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,600 Times in 1,228 Posts
But isn't that how you become a helmet expert here? You really don't know their worth until you bounce your head off of something.
Old 03-30-19, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by curbtender
But isn't that how you become a helmet expert here? You really don't know their worth until you bounce your head off of something.
No, you become an anti-helmet expert until you bounce your head off of something.

(Says the man who had to sit with a roomful of RJR “experts.” I did not die. They were not so lucky.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-30-19, 10:40 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you didn't misread "Aikido is almost always practiced on mats".

So your implication is that someone should be "simulating crashes" with a bicycle. If so, frankly that's a dumb idea. It's not necessary and there's no difference.
I'm sorry, but that's not what you said, you said that you did that, and it's in your post, 1. We often practice on other surfaces, and in recent years I've done more on the grass than in a dojo. I've practiced falls and rolls in paved parking lots. Is that not what you said?

By the way, I'm quite familiar with Aikido and it's a BS martial art form, now that should make you good and mad, but at least it's not the mysterious Chi blasts crap!
and for fun chi blasting and other weird martial art crap:
here is a list of BS martial arts: https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...e-martial-arts
Old 03-31-19, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by greatscott
I'm sorry, but that's not what you said, you said that you did that, and it's in your post, 1. We often practice on other surfaces, and in recent years I've done more on the grass than in a dojo. I've practiced falls and rolls in paved parking lots. Is that not what you said?
"Falls and rolls", not bike crashes.

By the way, I'm quite familiar with Aikido and it's a BS martial art form, now that should make you good and mad,.
Not at all, I could care less how effective Aikido is as a martial art. Protecting yourself from falls, which is all we're talking about, it is excellent. The same as judo in fact.

By "quite familiar", you mean that you've trained in an Aikido dojo with black belts?
Old 03-31-19, 01:53 PM

"Falls and rolls", not bike crashes.

Not at all, I could care less how effective Aikido is as a martial art. Protecting yourself from falls, which is all we're talking about, it is excellent. The same as judo in fact.

By "quite familiar", you mean that you've trained in an Aikido dojo with black belts?
It was YOU relating how well you can fall, and on pavement, that YOU said you can do on bicycle, all I said is I would like to see you do that on your bicycle, or a junk bicycle, I don't care what you use.

I'm quiet familiar with Aikido, I won't go into anymore detail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.