Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Augmenting Amazon Delivery with Bikes?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Augmenting Amazon Delivery with Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 04:52 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Lots of questions...

Are paperboys obsolete now?

At one time, it was efficient for the newspaper companies to drop a pile of papers in a drop box for the paper boys, then the kids would go pick them up from the drop box, and deliver them to the local houses.
Paper boys may not be obsolete but the number of people working as bike couriers are nowhere near of what they used to be....Children delivering newspapers is not the same as a bike messenger delivering packages or other items...Bike messengers are an endangered species and their road to extinction begun with the invention of fax machine and later the internet...Bike courier is not good as a long term employment, most of these jobs were done temporarily by university/college students as a means to make some extra money for their tuition.
Old 06-29-18, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I disagree. I think there is some commonality with between parcel delivery and paper delivery.

The paper boy flourished when 9 out of 10 houses on the block got papers.

I'm not sure why a similar method wasn't used for mail. Security concerns? But, those could be overcome, especially today with better tracking methods.

But, the model dies when say 1 out of 10 get the newspapers.

Perhaps there is also a shift away from newspaper companies supporting the kids, and neighbors supporting them. Drivers doing the job for years, and consolidating routes.
Old 06-29-18, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
no, they aren’t paying by the hour. They are paying by the piece. Hence you origionally piece work. The driver is the contractor. He gets paid by the delivery. If he has a van load routed by computer, to keep track of the deliveries he has to deliver the packages before getting paid. Hence the scanner connected to Amazon and their computer.
Amazon could also pay the van driver for bringing the crates to the couriers, and then pay the couriers separately for bringing the packages to the door. Then, customers could also bike/walk to where the crates are delivered and pick them up DIY. Amazon is talking about installing delivery lockers at homes, but they could just as easily install one set of lockers per zip+4 area and customers could choose to pick up their packages themselves or pay an extra dollar for a bike courier to do it for them. Then the question becomes how much you have to pay the van drivers to bring the crates to the lockers.

Even if they could unload all of their packages to the cyclists they will get a share of the money even if they head back to the warehouse. But that could easily be an hour out and an hour back plus loading and unloading time. Remember the van driver is on the hook for 10k up front. Any assistance on parts for bikes would come from the contractor or the sub contractors not the company.
Like I said, I think it's a marketing ploy to get the $10k for the vans. In fact, I think there are laws against requiring purchases for employees, but I guess if it's an independent contractor then they can excuse as part of selling a franchise. To me it just seems like a shady way to sell delivery vans, to be honest.

To make money someone has to increase the deliveries without increasing increasing labor costs.
As I said, bundle the packages according to zip+4 areas and deliver them to locker islands located within the zip+4 area. Then give customers the choice of self pickup or having a bike courier bring it for an extra $1.

You beat the system or you work for work for less than minimum wage.
The trick is to combine functions so it doesn't matter if you're making less than minimum wage. E.g. let's say you know you will be going to pick up a package by bike and you are registered as an at-will courier so they can trust you to pick up and deliver other peoples' packages. That means you can go pick up your own package and pick up some more packages for other people and get $1 per package for delivering them during your bike ride home. That way, you've combined your package pickup with a recreational bike ride that also happens to make you a few extra dollars.

In fact, you could even make it a better deal for Amazon by paying people to pickup extra packages for their neighbors by giving them shipping discounts, free shipping deals, etc. Then, whenever someone goes to pick up their own package, they pick up a couple extra and get rewarded with free shipping on future purchases.

Last edited by tandempower; 06-29-18 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion
It's interesting they are obsolete where I live. I used to be a paperboy in this same neighborhood a long long long ago, but now they're delivered by cars.

I wonder if it's because of reduced density.
Yes, which is in part due to increased use of online news and saving of trees. In fact, it's strange that some people still want the news on paper at all, imo.
Old 06-29-18, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by tandempower
In fact, you could even make it a better deal for Amazon by paying people to pickup extra packages for their neighbors by giving them shipping discounts, free shipping deals, etc. Then, whenever someone goes to pick up their own package, they pick up a couple extra and get rewarded with free shipping on future purchases.
Lockers might work if they are close enough. E-Mail a one-time pass combination, digital barcode key, or bluetooth key.

I'd often rather just go pick up a package at the post office than being bothered with signature verification.

I doubt relying on neighbors to do common delivery would be practical. It might work for some close friends, but not in general.
Old 06-29-18, 06:08 PM

Lockers might work if they are close enough. E-Mail a one-time pass combination, digital barcode key, or bluetooth key.
Or text the pass combination.

I'd often rather just go pick up a package at the post office than being bothered with signature verification.
Better to go pick it up on your own time than sit around waiting to give a signature when they show up, imo.

I doubt relying on neighbors to do common delivery would be practical. It might work for some close friends, but not in general.
That's why I said people would have to register as at-will delivery agents so Amazon can trust them. Basically, you would have to sign up with Amazon to be eligible for free/discounted shipping as a reward and then they would keep track of customer satisfaction with deliveries so your delivery/discount privileges would be revoked if there were any delivery complaints.
Old 06-29-18, 07:15 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Or text the pass combination.

Better to go pick it up on your own time than sit around waiting to give a signature when they show up, imo.

That's why I said people would have to register as at-will delivery agents so Amazon can trust them. Basically, you would have to sign up with Amazon to be eligible for free/discounted shipping as a reward and then they would keep track of customer satisfaction with deliveries so your delivery/discount privileges would be revoked if there were any delivery complaints.
this has morphed into something not even vaguely like the origional question. The contractor will have zero control of how the customer gets the package.

The number of deliveries a day that can be made have been studied by delivery services for many years. They have off the shelf software you can buy and simply plug in the type of service you want and it will spit out best routes and number of stops in 8 or 10 hours.

The curve ball is how they establish the number of deliveries. The send out a rabbit. Someone that knows the area real well and will almost run from stop to stop and to and from his truck. I have seen it with ups, and FedX. The customer is not going to come to a will call pick up when they have already been charged shipping.

if the delivery doesn’t show up when they said it should you simply click a button on your account and they reship. Who do you think will get dinged for that delivery?

They aren’t looking to change the system they are looking to get more deliveries for less money.

Google how many deliveries UPS makes a day. Then think what will happen if you get a route like Gallup New Mexico. They may only have one delivery every 3 miles. Picture 200 packages by bike 3 miles apart. That is the life of a route drive. A good route would be San Fernando with one or two deliveries per mile. Once again do the math.
Old 06-29-18, 07:30 PM

this has morphed into something not even vaguely like the origional question. The contractor will have zero control of how the customer gets the package.

The number of deliveries a day that can be made have been studied by delivery services for many years. They have off the shelf software you can buy and simply plug in the type of service you want and it will spit out best routes and number of stops in 8 or 10 hours.

The curve ball is how they establish the number of deliveries. The send out a rabbit. Someone that knows the area real well and will almost run from stop to stop and to and from his truck. I have seen it with ups, and FedX. The customer is not going to come to a will call pick up when they have already been charged shipping.

if the delivery doesn’t show up when they said it should you simply click a button on your account and they reship. Who do you think will get dinged for that delivery?

They aren’t looking to change the system they are looking to get more deliveries for less money.

Google how many deliveries UPS makes a day. Then think what will happen if you get a route like Gallup New Mexico. They may only have one delivery every 3 miles. Picture 200 packages by bike 3 miles apart. That is the life of a route drive. A good route would be San Fernando with one or two deliveries per mile. Once again do the math.
It morphed quite logically, actually. Remember the original point was to use bike couriers to reduce the number of delivery vans. That was solved by having the vans pick up parcels in crates already organized by zip+4.

Then the only question becomes how to make the connection between the van's dropoff location and the delivery address. Amazon is planning to have lockers by people's front door, but they could also have a single locker station in each zip+4 area. The most the van driver would have to do then is sort the parcels into the lockers by address, which would go much faster than driving around doing door-to-door delivery.

Then you say people don't want to go pick up their own parcel in their zip+4 area. Ok, for those who don't they can pay an extra $1 to have it delivered by a bike courier. You say that will add extra cost to shipping, but how much less will shipping cost by having the van drivers only shuttle packages to a single dropoff location in each zip+4 area instead of wasting time going door to door? Every van you cut out of the system saves money UNLESS the vans are being sold at $10k for a profit, in which case the more vans they use, the more profit they make from selling the vans. If that's the case, there's not much hope in using efficiency to save money, because they're making extra money by being more inefficient and thus selling more vans.

edit: I found this article that lays out what the business idea behind Amazon's plan: It seems that Mercedes vans are going to be sold and they're trying to find entrepreneurs to buy 20-40 vans, so apparently there's an overstock of these vans and they want to boost their sales numbers and thus sell higher sales to investors. So I'm sure they wouldn't want any bike-couriers or other efficiency tweaks to get in their way of maximizing van sales by billing it as an opportunity for entrepreneurs to buy the vans in fleets.
https://www.fastcompany.com/40590799...r-its-packages

Last edited by tandempower; 06-29-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 08:02 PM

It morphed quite logically, actually. Remember the original point was to use bike couriers to reduce the number of delivery vans. That was solved by having the vans pick up parcels in crates already organized by zip+4.

Then the only question becomes how to make the connection between the van's dropoff location and the delivery address. Amazon is planning to have lockers by people's front door, but they could also have a single locker station in each zip+4 area. The most the van driver would have to do then is sort the parcels into the lockers by address, which would go much faster than driving around doing door-to-door delivery.

Then you say people don't want to go pick up their own parcel in their zip+4 area. Ok, for those who don't they can pay an extra $1 to have it delivered by a bike courier. You say that will add extra cost to shipping, but how much less will shipping cost by having the van drivers only shuttle packages to a single dropoff location in each zip+4 area instead of wasting time going door to door? Every van you cut out of the system saves money UNLESS the vans are being sold at $10k for a profit, in which case the more vans they use, the more profit they make from selling the vans. If that's the case, there's not much hope in using efficiency to save money, because they're making extra money by being more inefficient and thus selling more vans.

edit: I found this article that lays out what the business idea behind Amazon's plan: It seems that Mercedes vans are going to be sold and they're trying to find entrepreneurs to buy 20-40 vans, so apparently there's an overstock of these vans and they want to boost their sales numbers and thus sell higher sales to investors. So I'm sure they wouldn't want any bike-couriers or other efficiency tweaks to get in their way of maximizing van sales by billing it as an opportunity for entrepreneurs to buy the vans in fleets.
https://www.fastcompany.com/40590799...r-its-packages

I rest my case. But remember the customer isn’t paying any more now to get the package to their door. Why pay an extra free to give someone access to a locker they never asked for in the first place? Right now you can get a dining room table and a pair of gloves delivered to your door for free on free shipping days or if you have prime. If people wanted to pick those things up they could drive to the mall.
Old 06-29-18, 08:03 PM

Ok, I figured out how to make the Amazon-Mercedes deal profitable with bike couriers:

The Mercedes Benz Sprinter vans they're selling for $10k have a retail MSRP of $34,000. So what you do is plan out your logistic in terms of how many vans you will need with or without the bike couriers. Then if you can get away with using one van instead of three because you're using, say, five bike couriers; then you take the amount of the subsidy discount (i.e. $23,000) and you pay that subsidy based on how many packages are delivered and not how many vans are sold. That way, the companies are investing in subsidizing deliveries and not van sales. So $23,000X2=$46,000 to split between five cyclists, which comes out to a little under $10,000 each. Remember that the driver is already getting a $23,000 discount on the van.
Old 06-29-18, 08:06 PM

I rest my case. But remember the customer isn’t paying any more now to get the package to their door. Why pay an extra free to give someone access to a locker they never asked for in the first place? Right now you can get a dining room table and a pair of gloves delivered to your door for free on free shipping days or if you have prime. If people wanted to pick those things up they could drive to the mall.

Right, but if the shipping costs are built into the prices, then the prices can be lowered by allowing people to choose whether or not to pay an extra $1 to have it delivered to their door. So instead of paying, say, $20 plus free shipping, you pay $19 and you have the option to have it shipped to your door for $1. Also, Amazon makes more money because they're spending less of the $19 on subsidizing vans for drivers.

The only real loser in the deal would be Mercedes because they don't get to sell as many vans, but then that was the whole point of using bike couriers instead of vans+drivers, wasn't it? I.e. to make the money by and for cycling instead of driving.

Last edited by tandempower; 06-29-18 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 09:24 PM

I doubt they are truly selling a $30K van for $10K. Although, they may get deep discounts from the manufacturer too.

Having people buy-in both raises capital and forces them to have some stake in the game.

Now, if you drive that van for 10 years and put 300,000 miles on it, they may go ahead and just give it to you for free at the end of the period, or even buy you a new one.

Nonetheless, say one could make one's delivery E-Bike for $2500. that would mean one could buy about 10 to 15 of those E-Bikes for the full cost of one van.

Now, depreciating that $30K van over 10 years, the annual capital cost of the van isn't that much compared to labor, insurance, fuel, repairs, and other expenses. Still, one could get a lot of E-Bikes on the road for the cost of a few vans.

If one could get a delivery density of one delivery per mile. At 20 MPH (assisted), then that is about 3 minutes travel time, plus say 2 minutes for the delivery, or about 5 minute deliveries. That comes up to about 12 deliveries an hour, or about 100 deliveries in 8 hours.

Now, the question is how much they are willing to pay for those deliveries. $1 per delivery would be cheap. $2 per delivery and one could do reasonably well.

I suppose some will depend on the logistics. Can one carry those 100 packages in the cargo bike? How much reloading time?

Also, the powered van won't make that mile in zero time. In an urban setting, the van may only make it at 30 MPH... or 2 minutes travel time + 2 minutes delivery time, or about 4 minutes per package and 15 packages an hour and 120 per day.

So, if the difference is only 20 or 25 packages difference, what about the other expenses. Fuel, insurance, capital costs, etc.

Your biggest difference will likely be in carrying big, heavy, and bulky items. So, the bike might get bogged down with 5 of the 50" big screen TVs, while the van would be able to carry a few more of them. Nonetheless, that last mile delivery charge on the big screen TVs will be significantly higher. $10 to $20? Even if it says "Free Delivery", that delivery cost is being factored into the sales price somewhere. Thus, the bike might deliver 10 big screen TVs in 2 loads for the same amount as delivering 100 small books and trinkets.

The part-time job in a small town might also make a unique model. So, one has a big truck with say a fixed route of 400 miles a day, dropping bike containers in small towns along the way, and then the bike courier would deliver say 25 packages in an hour or two, and earn an extra $50 a day. It could well be beneficial to everyone.

Let's see, if a bike container was 3 1/2 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 5 feet long, then a 40' truck should be able to pack in about 32 containers and service 30+ small towns in a day. Just have to make sure everything runs quickly and smoothly.
Old 06-29-18, 09:37 PM

Right, but if the shipping costs are built into the prices, then the prices can be lowered by allowing people to choose whether or not to pay an extra $1 to have it delivered to their door. So instead of paying, say, $20 plus free shipping, you pay $19 and you have the option to have it shipped to your door for $1. Also, Amazon makes more money because they're spending less of the $19 on subsidizing vans for drivers.

The only real loser in the deal would be Mercedes because they don't get to sell as many vans, but then that was the whole point of using bike couriers instead of vans+drivers, wasn't it? I.e. to make the money by and for cycling instead of driving.
You have never bought from Amazon have you? The whole idea of shopping at Amazon is the keep from going out. Amazon doesn't make most the stuff they sell they get it from vendors. If the vendor charges 20 bucks for a T-shirt amazon cannot adjust the price on free shipping. If I cannot get it to my door I will just drive to the mall and get it same day.

And no the idea was for Amazon to reduce cost not to help cyclists. The idea was to make Amazon deliveries easier for Amazon by moving employee costs to private contractors. That reduces the personnel cost and increases the balance sheet for Amazon. Amazon is all about profit. Just look at what happened when Seattle levied a tax on employees to help pay for homeless in the city. Amazon cancelled a large building project and was planning on moving 5000 jobs somewhere else. The tax was overturned the very next day.
Old 06-29-18, 09:48 PM

I doubt they are truly selling a $30K van for $10K. Although, they may get deep discounts from the manufacturer too.

Having people buy-in both raises capital and forces them to have some stake in the game.

Now, if you drive that van for 10 years and put 300,000 miles on it, they may go ahead and just give it to you for free at the end of the period, or even buy you a new one.

Nonetheless, say one could make one's delivery E-Bike for $2500. that would mean one could buy about 10 to 15 of those E-Bikes for the full cost of one van.

Now, depreciating that $30K van over 10 years, the annual capital cost of the van isn't that much compared to labor, insurance, fuel, repairs, and other expenses. Still, one could get a lot of E-Bikes on the road for the cost of a few vans.

If one could get a delivery density of one delivery per mile. At 20 MPH (assisted), then that is about 3 minutes travel time, plus say 2 minutes for the delivery, or about 5 minute deliveries. That comes up to about 12 deliveries an hour, or about 100 deliveries in 8 hours.

Now, the question is how much they are willing to pay for those deliveries. $1 per delivery would be cheap. $2 per delivery and one could do reasonably well.

I suppose some will depend on the logistics. Can one carry those 100 packages in the cargo bike? How much reloading time?

Also, the powered van won't make that mile in zero time. In an urban setting, the van may only make it at 30 MPH... or 2 minutes travel time + 2 minutes delivery time, or about 4 minutes per package and 15 packages an hour and 120 per day.

So, if the difference is only 20 or 25 packages difference, what about the other expenses. Fuel, insurance, capital costs, etc.

Your biggest difference will likely be in carrying big, heavy, and bulky items. So, the bike might get bogged down with 5 of the 50" big screen TVs, while the van would be able to carry a few more of them. Nonetheless, that last mile delivery charge on the big screen TVs will be significantly higher. $10 to $20? Even if it says "Free Delivery", that delivery cost is being factored into the sales price somewhere. Thus, the bike might deliver 10 big screen TVs in 2 loads for the same amount as delivering 100 small books and trinkets.

The part-time job in a small town might also make a unique model. So, one has a big truck with say a fixed route of 400 miles a day, dropping bike containers in small towns along the way, and then the bike courier would deliver say 25 packages in an hour or two, and earn an extra $50 a day. It could well be beneficial to everyone.

Let's see, if a bike container was 3 1/2 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 5 feet long, then a 40' truck should be able to pack in about 32 containers and service 30+ small towns in a day. Just have to make sure everything runs quickly and smoothly.
You have to pay for the truck to pick up at the warehouse and you have to pay the driver to deliver the packages. Amazon isn't looking for last mile they are looking for warehouse to home delivery. And 50 bucks a day is only $6.25 an hour. But if anyone believes that can make a living delivering Amazon packages I say sign up. Amazon will still get a better deal from USPS. And the customer gets the package delivered to the mail box or the door.
Old 06-29-18, 10:11 PM

Check out a day in the life of a UPS driver. They may be the standard. Try and think if you could beat them with bike deliveries.
18 Secrets of UPS Drivers | Mental Floss
Old 06-29-18, 10:11 PM

You have to pay for the truck to pick up at the warehouse and you have to pay the driver to deliver the packages. Amazon isn't looking for last mile they are looking for warehouse to home delivery. And 50 bucks a day is only $6.25 an hour. But if anyone believes that can make a living delivering Amazon packages I say sign up. Amazon will still get a better deal from USPS. And the customer gets the package delivered to the mail box or the door.
I have to assume you read what you quoted.

$50 for 2 hours work is $25 / hour.

I didn't say a livable wage, but not bad for part-time work to supplement other income, or cater to individuals who wish to work part-time for one reason or another. Students? Retired? Working moms?

Yep.. one would have to run the truck, but would have to do so anyway as there are many locations across the USA not within 20 miles of the warehouses, and it would massively inefficient to expect delivery vans to drive 200 miles each way to pick up their daily cargo.

The big question is whether pre-containerizing shipments for quick drops would be efficient or inefficient. And, perhaps designing a system to pick the containers and drop them quickly without a dock. Also a system to exchange empty and full containers on the truck with partial loads.
Old 06-29-18, 10:32 PM

I have to assume you read what you quoted.

$50 for 2 hours work is $25 / hour.

I didn't say a livable wage, but not bad for part-time work to supplement other income, or cater to individuals who wish to work part-time for one reason or another. Students? Retired? Working moms?

Yep.. one would have to run the truck, but would have to do so anyway as there are many locations across the USA not within 20 miles of the warehouses, and it would massively inefficient to expect delivery vans to drive 200 miles each way to pick up their daily cargo.

The big question is whether pre-containerizing shipments for quick drops would be efficient or inefficient. And, perhaps designing a system to pick the containers and drop them quickly without a dock. Also a system to exchange empty and full containers on the truck with partial loads.

I thought you were saying they could make 50 bucks a day and that was part time work. Not a living wage for sure. But Amazon is trying to find ways to cut company costs. https://therideshareguy.com/delivery...share-drivers/
Old 06-30-18, 07:14 AM

You have never bought from Amazon have you? The whole idea of shopping at Amazon is the keep from going out. Amazon doesn't make most the stuff they sell they get it from vendors. If the vendor charges 20 bucks for a T-shirt amazon cannot adjust the price on free shipping. If I cannot get it to my door I will just drive to the mall and get it same day.
If the vendor gets the entire $20 price payment and Amazon gets nothing, how does Amazon make money then, exactly?

And no the idea was for Amazon to reduce cost not to help cyclists. The idea was to make Amazon deliveries easier for Amazon by moving employee costs to private contractors. That reduces the personnel cost and increases the balance sheet for Amazon. Amazon is all about profit. Just look at what happened when Seattle levied a tax on employees to help pay for homeless in the city. Amazon cancelled a large building project and was planning on moving 5000 jobs somewhere else. The tax was overturned the very next day.
Who said anything about giving charity to cyclists? They are selling $34,000msrp vans to vendors for $10k. That's a $24,000 subsidy per van. All I said was that if you give the same subsidy to vendors who utilize bike couriers to reduce the number of vans needed per zipcode, you could give the same subsidy to the cyclists. The assumption is that 1 van driver and 5 cyclists can deliver as many packages as 3 van drivers and just as fast. If they have to all be delievered to front doors, the cyclists can do that more efficiently than van drivers, whose vehicle is better suited to making the long trip between the warehouse and each zip+4 areas than to go from house to house.

But, like I said, the reason I don't think they would even consider using bike couriers has nothing to do with delivery efficiency, it has to do with the fact that they're really trying to sell more vans and make more money that way. Business is funny. You can take a less efficient system and use it to create unnecessary sales and then use the unnecessary sales to induce investors to drive up your stock price. That way, you can borrow money against future waste spending to pay for waste in the present.
Old 06-30-18, 08:24 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Check out a day in the life of a UPS driver. They may be the standard. Try and think if you could beat them with bike deliveries.
18 Secrets of UPS Drivers | Mental Floss
Also check out the day in the life of a Flex Driver delivering for Amazon. https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...orkers/563444/

I'll let the dreamers figure out how bicyclists will make a living adapting their vehicles to pickup and deliver these packages in all weather, all year, let alone share the meager earnings of the van/motor vehicle operators.
Old 06-30-18, 08:25 AM
Been Around Awhile

Who said anything about giving charity to cyclists? They are selling $34,000msrp vans to vendors for $10k. That's a $24,000 subsidy per van.
Who, besides you, said anything about selling $34,000 vehicles for $10,000?
Old 06-30-18, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Who, besides you, said anything about selling $34,000 vehicles for $10,000?
Did you read any of the linked articles? Amazon is charging prospective delivery people $10,000 (at least, they hint that this is a minimum). The cargo vans they have to use/buy are Mercedes Sprinters, which I googled have an MSRP of $34,000. So if they're selling these vans for a buy-in price of $10,000, that's a $23,000 discount, right? If you make that into a subsidy for package delivery instead of a van-discount, which is only fair if it's not just a scam to sell vans; then the delivery franchises are free to hire bike couriers to help with the deliveries and reduce the number of vans per delivery. I don't think they will want to allow franchises to use bike couriers in this way, however, because I think their plan is to make money selling vans and allowing the use of bike couriers would interfere with that.

So I'm being cynical and saying that the possibility of using bike couriers is structured out of the options by the primary business interest of selling vans, but I hope I'm wrong and Amazon makes the $23,000 discount into a subsidy that franchises can earn for their bike couriers by delivering packages instead of as a kickback for buying, maintaining, and insuring vans along with delivering packages.
Old 06-30-18, 08:41 AM
Been Around Awhile

Amazon is charging prospective delivery people $10,000 (at least, they hint that this is a minimum). The cargo vans they have to use/buy are Mercedes Sprinters, which I googled have an MSRP of $34,000. So if they're selling these vans for a buy-in price of $10,000, that's a $23,000 discount, right?
Wrong, because Amazon is NOT selling the vans for $10,000. That sales price is your dream/fabrication, but don't let that stop you from expanding on your dreamy economic theorizing.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-30-18 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Wrong, because Amazon is NOT selling the vans for $10,000. That sales price is your dream/fabrication, but don't let that stop you from expanding on your dreamy economic theorizing.
Then why don't they sell the vans at MSRP and allow the couriers to decide whether or not to buy them, which vehicles to use, and whether or not to use bikes, etc.?
Old 06-30-18, 08:51 AM
Been Around Awhile

Then why don't they sell the vans at MSRP and allow the couriers to decide whether or not to buy them, which vehicles to use, and whether or not to use bikes, etc.?
Ask Mr. Bezos.
Old 06-30-18, 09:10 AM

If the vendor gets the entire $20 price payment and Amazon gets nothing, how does Amazon make money then, exactly?

Who said anything about giving charity to cyclists? They are selling $34,000msrp vans to vendors for $10k. That's a $24,000 subsidy per van. All I said was that if you give the same subsidy to vendors who utilize bike couriers to reduce the number of vans needed per zipcode, you could give the same subsidy to the cyclists. The assumption is that 1 van driver and 5 cyclists can deliver as many packages as 3 van drivers and just as fast. If they have to all be delievered to front doors, the cyclists can do that more efficiently than van drivers, whose vehicle is better suited to making the long trip between the warehouse and each zip+4 areas than to go from house to house.

But, like I said, the reason I don't think they would even consider using bike couriers has nothing to do with delivery efficiency, it has to do with the fact that they're really trying to sell more vans and make more money that way. Business is funny. You can take a less efficient system and use it to create unnecessary sales and then use the unnecessary sales to induce investors to drive up your stock price. That way, you can borrow money against future waste spending to pay for waste in the present.
the make their money because it isn’t always free shipping. Or if you are a prime member it is part of what you are paying the service for.

Brick and mortor stores offer a chance to save shipping cost for online orders by shipping to the store. Then you simply drive to the store and pick it up. They don’t have to build lockers and they don’t need to hire a contractor to deliver to sub contractors who deliver to customers.

You simply cannot save money for your stock holders by adding staff. You sure cannot if you are adding two levels of staff between the customer and the store.

Let us say you found a way to build lockers that you dropped in a parking lot are you assuming no one will charge for the lockers? Once it is learned Amazon has lockers in that parking lot who will protect them from vandals at night?

Think of it, TVs, computers, watches, air Jordan’s, rings and other jewelry just sitting there waiting for an angle grinder. They do that to mail boxes now .

i know I am wasting my breath because Amazon has not entertained contractors and sub contractors. But I also know such ideas fit some people’s dreams about what could be if the world was different. So jump into it. Get someone to commit to the van and talk them into adding cyclists to help. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 06-30-18 at 09:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.