Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Improperly built wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Improperly built wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
If it's an optical illusion (to me) then disregard my comments. From your posted picture, it appears the build is all over the place, nothing symmetrical that's typical of a traditional wheel build. Unless it's some boutique spoke pattern that wasn't mentioned or the wheel builder used too many crosses for that large hub flange to rim size that the spoke(s) and nipple(s) end up at severe and stressful angles even before tensioning.

It's almost like a 40+h hub being laced to a 36h rim, from the old days when some used mismatched components and made it work (kind of).

In any case a complete rebuild and rethink of how many spoke crosses are necessary would solve the problem regardless of the spoke type (butted or straight gauge) used.
It is hard to tell, but you can follow some of the spokes here:
Originally Posted by harshbarj
Click for full res.
I think it is a standard 3x lacing pattern which is pretty standard for 36h, and brings the spokes out close to a tangent to the hub.

What makes it hard to follow is that if you follow the spokes, for example at the valve, they should go out more or less parallel, but instead are splayed outward to opposite sides of the hub, thus giving a peculiar look to the wheel.

One might argue that a 2x wheel would be just as strong, and the spokes would exit the rim at more ordinary angles.
Old 02-12-18, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
If it's an optical illusion (to me) then disregard my comments. From your posted picture, it appears the build is all over the place, nothing symmetrical that's typical of a traditional wheel build. Unless it's some boutique spoke pattern that wasn't mentioned or the wheel builder used too many crosses for that large hub flange to rim size that the spoke(s) and nipple(s) end up at severe and stressful angles even before tensioning.

It's almost like a 40+h hub being laced to a 36h rim, from the old days when some used mismatched components and made it work (kind of).

In any case a complete rebuild and rethink of how many spoke crosses are necessary would solve the problem regardless of the spoke type (butted or straight gauge) used.
It is a perspective issue. The wheel is symmetrically built.

Well, got a call from the LBS and the guy who built the wheel. He acknowledged the other builder felt the wheel was improperly built, but he insisted it in fact was properly built(bull). He almost sounded insulted that I was suggesting his work was sub par. That wheel and the other I have him building should be done next Monday and I'll look them over. If they are improperly built again i'll ask for another wheel builder to take over. It's sad as the wheel seems to be built mostly OK. It was true with no wobble in any direction and the spoke tension was proper as each spoke sounded / felt like it had the same tension on it.
Old 02-12-18, 10:40 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 85 Posts
That the wheel was improperly built is self-evident. A properly built wheel would not be breaking spokes like so many strands of uncooked spaghetti. Good luck.