Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18494 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
For many years I volunteered to help with what grew into the second largest MS 150 ride in the country (7,000+ people) and rode in it for 23 consecutive years. Loved seeing and meeting all the hard working volunteers who turned out on ride weekend to support the cause. Some of them were beneficiaries of the charity. Great feeling. Never did I think about the tangible things I received.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-22, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
In central Michigan, those kinds of rides are thankfully few and far between, and I totally ignore their existence. If charities want to raise money, they should ask for donations. Once they host a bike ride, they are offering a commercial product that competes with other existing offerings. It's like they're opening a McDonalds and only selling Happy Meals for a $50 minimum.
You've never done any fund raising nor understand fundraising strategies at all. You're probably the type who goes to a fund raising silent auction intent on getting the best bargain possible rather than getting something useful for a fair (or premium) price and using that money spent to help the organization doing the fundraising.
Old 05-05-22, 11:15 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
I'm curious to hear some opinions and discussion to perhaps reconsider my own perspectives, here. I mostly ride alone, and have become very self-sufficient for it. "Self-sufficiency", in this case, often means stopping a town or two over and spending some cash at a local bakery, donut shop, or at minimum, the C-store. And, as much as I appreciate their service, I also get a 'good feeling' about supporting a local establishment with the hope that they will stay in business for future rides.

Now then, either I've become more involved in the "cycling scene" the last few years, or there really has been an increase in the number of organized event rides, often times with a small (or not so small entry fee). Sometimes, the event organizers will pitch the event as supporting the local community (and sometimes there are legitimate charity drives to speak of). But in other cases, it seems like the pitch to support local is somewhat hollow -- we pay $50-100 and the organizer provides water, snacks, and sometimes even brings along their own food-truck vendors and all -- on these types of rides, then, most riders will rarely step off the route, rarely venture into any C-Store, or support any local diners or dives.

1. If an organized ride uses entirely public right-of-way, and the entrance fee is more 'profit' than 'charity', would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'**? Why, or why not?
2. Does this change if an organized ride is more so for 'charity'? (Has anybody ever even seen a 'bandit' on an MS150?)
3. Does the price of a ride influence these thoughts? I.e.: A Local Shop Ride where $20 is meant to cover the mid-way water tent (which you might not need) vs a "Big Corporate Sponsor" $60 ride where fees include lunch and a t-shirt (which you do not need)?

** For clarity -- riding along 'bandit' here should assume that you do not and will not need any of the organizers' resources (water, mechanical, SAG, etc), and that you have your own safety net (Uber, family, etc).
I'll only address question one above. How do you know where the entrance fee is going or being used for? Certainly it covers the cost of he rest stops, porta-pottys, paint for route marking, gas for SAGs, etc., but what about money accrued in excess of the costs of running the event? Regarding my club, no one gets paid, although some may get reimbursed for actual costs (but never time), and since we're non-profit, much of our net gets contributed back to various causes in our cycling community. We contribute thousands each year. Schools and fire houses, etc. who allow us to use their facilities for rest stops are also given a few hundred dollars in stipends as a thank you. Yes, some money is held in reserve solely so that if there is a problem (bad weather causes the cancellation or extremely low turnout of an event, Covid, etc.), there are funds to insure that the event can be offered in the future. Most riders don't realize that months of volunteer labor goes into putting on a successful and safe ride.
In short, if a ride isn't a stated charity ride, don't always assume that it's for profit to the organizers.