Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 08:25 PM
Where did whooooo go

Bikes: trek 7100, 70's schwinn free spirit.{building into the second commuter}

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pics after work tonight
Old 01-30-09, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow very nice set of bikes for $25!
Old 01-30-09, 06:49 AM
Where did whooooo go

Bikes: trek 7100, 70's schwinn free spirit.{building into the second commuter}

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
Wow very nice set of bikes for $25!
Thanks this is the 3 rd set i have found this way since last august. its weird when i find quality classic bikes (not x-mart specials) I often find them in pairs especially mid to late 80's bikes. the story usually goes " we bought them at the same time at such and such bike store rode them all over and them we had kids etc. so they have been stored in the garage/ storage unit for 10 years now" as told by middle age slightly overweight male. Oh wait thats me....... anyway usually i make a deal with our store manager for the pair and they never go on sale. the last set were a gt mtn bike from the mid '80 and a trek 820? same year neaded new tires,tubes,grip,brake pads,chains and tuneups but good as new. the GT i have on loan and the trek I sold...well err traded...when gas was 5 a gal here traded for a car
Old 01-30-09, 04:29 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 632 Posts
A good twofer pickup off of Craigs List today. I was traveling from Richmond, VA and decided to check out a couple of Craigs List cities on the way home. I was surprised to see a decent Peugeot, with a non-descript Schwinn, twofer deal. I figured the Schwinn was going to be a Sprint or similar, hard to tell by the pic, but the Pug looked like it was worth the trip. Pleasantly surprised to see the Schwinn is a Prelude, with Columbus Tenax tubing, while the Peugeot appears to be a lower end bike (Iseran).

The thrift stores have really dried up around here, and I really needed to find some new inventory. These both fit the bill.

I am not sure where the Greensboro, NC flippers were. These bikes had been on Craigs List for a couple of days...

Last edited by wrk101; 02-07-09 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-09, 09:03 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 128 Posts
Zefal HP on Peugeot would sure look good on the Schwinn! Pays to keep a car carrier in the trunk!
Old 01-31-09, 04:25 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Univega Arrow Speed mixte which will be packed up and shipped to BF member nekohime. Has new tires and was pretty well cleaned up and adjusted at the bike shop where I bought it. It cost just under $75 with tax.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-09, 04:35 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Picked up one for me today too. A Fuji Arcadia. Lugged hi-ten frame, lower end Shimano SIS drive train and alloy wheels. Paint and decals are in good shape and will look nice after a clean and polish. Haven't look too closely, but the tires may not even be dry rotted. Pretty good deal at $20. According to the catalog the bike weights in at 27.5 pounds, which is not bad considering the handle bars, seat post and hubs are steel.

If I needed a beater it is my size. I could 'trick it out' with a nicer crank, alloy bars and some other things from the parts bin. I could, but not when I have better cromoly bikes in my size sitting in the basement.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-09, 04:48 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
$130 as pictured. '77 or '78 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Old 01-31-09, 05:13 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
Picked up one for me today too. A Fuji Arcadia. Lugged hi-ten frame, lower end Shimano SIS drive train and alloy wheels. Paint and decals are in good shape and will look nice after a clean and polish. Haven't look too closely, but the tires may not even be dry rotted. Pretty good deal at $20. According to the catalog the bike weights in at 27.5 pounds, which is not bad considering the handle bars, seat post and hubs are steel.

If I needed a beater it is my size. I could 'trick it out' with a nicer crank, alloy bars and some other things from the parts bin. I could, but not when I have better cromoly bikes in my size sitting in the basement.

[IMG][/IMG]
The frame material was the only thing that stopped me on that one. I figured the super vague "10 speed bike" title would keep this one around for a bit. It took 3 emails until he finally figured out the brand name. Glad you got it, it looks to be in really nice condition.

-Matt
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-31-09, 06:00 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
The frame material was the only thing that stopped me on that one. I figured the super vague "10 speed bike" title would keep this one around for a bit. It took 3 emails until he finally figured out the brand name. Glad you got it, it looks to be in really nice condition.

-Matt
Yeah, I figured with alloy wheels and good paint I couldn't go wrong.
Old 01-31-09, 08:24 PM
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
$130 as pictured. '77 or '78 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Very nice. May I inquire where you got it from?
Old 01-31-09, 08:48 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
^^^^^Philly CL! He beat me by a couple of hours! In my own backyard no less! I spent MY time shoveling an ice strewn driveway instead......
Old 01-31-09, 09:35 PM
No one cares

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
^^^^^Philly CL! He beat me by a couple of hours! In my own backyard no less! I spent MY time shoveling an ice strewn driveway instead......
yup!

more info on how I got it, and link to more pics in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/507166-can-t-stop.html

Old 02-01-09, 05:57 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Finally my first thrift store find of 2009. I picked up a 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 for $16. Frame and components look good, typical needs a new seat, cables, tires and tubes. Should clean up nicely. No camera right now, so I will post a picture later.

Addl comment: Its the black one, not all chrome unfortunately. Funny the thrift store was totally packed, people all over, but no one interested in the bike. Go figure.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-01-09 at 08:11 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 02-01-09, 06:18 PM

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should mention a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, this one is listed on CL for $250. But then again people have been jacking prices around here lately.
Old 02-01-09, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by oldiebikes
Here's a related question about posting photos. Has anyone experienced problems with Photobucket? I've been reading recent reports about a big virus problem concerning that site. Something to do with malicious pop up ads that cause bigtime problems for some users of the site. Is there another picture hosting site that's recommended?
It happened the other day, and seems to be gone now. It was a major PITA, where it would change the page to some virus scanning ad that was supposed to look like a Windows warning window. I have a Mac so it was nothing more than a temporary annoyance at best. Next time I went to the site it was gone.,,,,BD
Old 02-01-09, 06:34 PM
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by droobieinop
Funny you should mention a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, this one is listed on CL for $250. But then again people have been jacking prices around here lately.
Whoever is selling that Voyageur kind of messed it up in my opinion (all reversible fortunately). What is it with the upright bars? Ouch. Also that large platform seat looks way out of place.
Old 02-01-09, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Finally my first thrift store find of 2009. I picked up a 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 for $16. Frame and components look good, typical needs a new seat, cables, tires and tubes. Should clean up nicely. No camera right now, so I will post a picture later.
What color, or is it chrome?,,,,BD
Old 02-01-09, 08:20 PM

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Whoever is selling that Voyageur kind of messed it up in my opinion (all reversible fortunately). What is it with the upright bars? Ouch. Also that large platform seat looks way out of place.
Its out at the beach and those people... anyway, those sort of thing are common down here. Turned up bars, mtb bar ends in verticle, sofa seats, over priced bikes, even single speeds made by pulling the derailuers and shortening the chain "change gears by lengthening or shoertening the chain."
Old 02-01-09, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving back from a thrift store I spotted a bike next to some snowmobiles that were for sale. I stopped and checked it out. It turned out to be a Ross Countach that I was ready to take for $10 when the guy asked if I might be interested in a "racing bike." My mind started to race and I went to check it out. It turned out to be a Trek 370 Sport - just my size. I asked how much and held my breath. $50 was his response, but I quickly mentioned the damaged front derailer and got both for $50! I'll ride the Trek and flip the Ross.
Old 02-01-09, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Missed a Gitane today for $10, hope someone on here picked it up
Old 02-01-09, 10:46 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gthoro
Driving back from a thrift store I spotted a bike next to some snowmobiles that were for sale. I stopped and checked it out. It turned out to be a Ross Countach that I was ready to take for $10 when the guy asked if I might be interested in a "racing bike." My mind started to race and I went to check it out. It turned out to be a Trek 370 Sport - just my size. I asked how much and held my breath. $50 was his response, but I quickly mentioned the damaged front derailer and got both for $50! I'll ride the Trek and flip the Ross.
I'm really digging the Ross......
Old 02-02-09, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got a couple low ends this past week. 97 Trek 820 MTB with a upgraded fork with a midline Rock Shock. Missing the wheels and seat. $5 Mostly for parts but up on CL see if it will sell.

Picked up a mid80's Schwinn Cruiser for $12.98 at the local Thrift store. Both tires were flat. Got it home had what looks like brand new Kenda's on it. Filled the tires and they seem to hold air (shrug). Works fine but a lot of chips in the paint around the seat tube top tube. Looks like somebody was wrapping a chain around it. Good campus bike for somebody. Going to service it and CL it.
Old 02-02-09, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Made up today for the beaters I have been getting of late.

I am Still looking for a 27 inch wheel set to fix this Mixte aka the "face eraser" (she face planted in the first 200 feet she rode it) I picked up with the wife in mind.

So I walk into the local thrift I have near me that I got the Mixte at. Go walking over to the bike area and I see a very dirty and very small red and white drop bar road bike. It is off to the side behind a shelf like somebody was trying to hide it.

Look at the back wheel and yep it is a 27 inch. I lift the bike give the wheel a spin and it is just as close to perfect as one could ever hope. I really start looking at the bike Araya rims, Sakae SA cranks, decent Shimano light action derailleurs, Indexed down tube shifter...not ratchets these are indexed. Diacompe "junior" handles and Diacompe calipers.

I get really looking...this bike has hardly EVER been ridden. The chain has that new chain "grease" feel in fact the grease has gelled to the point it is stiff. The cassette is dusty but not grease covered. The tires look new. The grip tape is perfect. The gum hoods are still supple. This is a NEW 1987 bike that has sat in somebody's garage for the last 22 year.
I start rolling and I just about have to lean over to hold this bike by the stem......and suddenly I realize just how tiny this bike it. The front wheel is a 24 inch!

It is a "Georgena Terry" the model is "Gambit" and it is a early version.. Heard of Terry saddles but never a Terry bike. Turns out this is a women's specific bike designed by the woman who founded the company. The tire stagger is to help with toe overlap. The best part is it is exactly my 5ft tall wife's size.
What Sheldon says. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/terry/index.html

Nothing is bent. I was close trying to hide some of the clutter and it has a bit of a fisheye effect.

Last edited by Grim; 02-02-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 07:04 PM
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here is my thrift store find from today, a vintage leather camera case for $5. It will be modified into a handlebar bag using a VO decaleur mount and support from the bottom by my nitto rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.