Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite chain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 03:43 PM
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek
kmc x10sl or kmc x11sl
x2
Old 03-26-19, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Only getting 1500 miles out of a chain seems pretty weird to me. I would think that no matter how hard you're riding and with the cleaning regimen you stated... you should be getting a whole lot more out of your chains.
Old 03-26-19, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Fuji Absolute. Wife has: Ridley Noah, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for everyone in regards to this subject. How often should one change their chain? I ride 30-40 miles every Saturday with my group and another 20 during the week. I usually ride near the beach here in LA.
Old 03-26-19, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
I'm still using Shimano 10 speed groups so, I use the Ultegra 6701 with a KMC quick link. It last long, not too heavy, and priced right. All is well as for shifting, durability and maintenance of chain..
Cheers
This is what I use on my road bike. Works great, has never failed at the quick-links (nor anywhere else), and I get about 2500 miles of fair weather riding before I replace whether I need to or not. I have a 3x8 hybrid with fenders for bad weather riding, so my 10sp Ultegra chain rarely sees moisture.
Old 03-26-19, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by El Davisimo
Question for everyone in regards to this subject. How often should one change their chain? I ride 30-40 miles every Saturday with my group and another 20 during the week. I usually ride near the beach here in LA.
I change mine whenever the chain testing tool shows the chain in the "change me" zone. How often depends entirely on how often I ride.
Old 03-26-19, 10:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Fuji Absolute. Wife has: Ridley Noah, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I change mine whenever the chain testing tool shows the chain in the "change me" zone. How often depends entirely on how often I ride.
Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain that?
Old 03-27-19, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by El Davisimo
Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain that?
There is a plethora of chain checker tools out there to gauge if your chain is worn out or not. Often ppl just replace the chain when ever the tool/gauge says so. All the tool do is conveniently measure/gauge if the chain elongation, that result from wear, is enough to warrant replacement. you can use a ruler if you want. - Shimano tl-cn42.
Old 03-27-19, 08:16 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Only getting 1500 miles out of a chain seems pretty weird to me. I would think that no matter how hard you're riding and with the cleaning regimen you stated... you should be getting a whole lot more out of your chains.
The first one was at the recommendation of a shop, I'm wondering if they didn't measure it properly, or just wanted to sell me a chain. I checked my chain again yesterday with the tool, and it only goes in on the .5 side if I push down on it, it doesn't just drop in, which I believe is the correct way to measure. So I'll keep an eye on it, I have a feeling I may be getting a more life than I thought and that my first chain was probably replaced a bit prematurely. I have no shifting or chain skip issues.
Old 03-27-19, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@El Davisimo @Racing Dan gave you a good explanation of what a chain checking tool does. Here's an image gathered from the interwebs to help out too, although this is not the tool that I have/use. Cheers.

Old 03-28-19, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
On Shimano systems nothing runs quieter or shifts better than Shimano chains. With that being said, a few years ago I was in a position to put a KMC chain on my daily rider and discovered that it was a wonderful chain and shifted really well. Quiet enough for me and more long lasting than the Shimano and Sram chains I have always used. I am now a convert to KMC chains!
Old 03-29-19, 12:01 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
try avoid cross chain and shifting under load, a chain should last around 3k miles
Old 05-01-19, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I'm curious, why aren't you measuring the chain with a caliper when it's new, and then rechecking it every so often? Wouldn't that be the true measure of chain wear?
Old 05-01-19, 01:59 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm satisfied with KMC chains. When my Shimano chains wore out I switched to KMC just to see if they were good and cheap. Yup, they are. Good enough for my bikes. I never spend more than $200 or so for a bike. But if I did, sure, I'd probably match Shimano chains to Shimano drivetrain.

I wax my road bike chains, rotating between sets of identical chains (usually KMC Z72 or Z51) so when the chain is off the bike I'll compare it with a new chain to eyeball it for wear. I usually get more than 3,000 miles per chain. Wax doesn't accumulate road grit so much, my main reason for preferring it for dry weather rides. My errand/rain bike has a wet lubed chain.

I suppose I could use my calipers but then I'd need to keep detailed logs, and figure out some way to identify two or more copies of identical chains. Nah, too much trouble. I rotate chains every month or so, check 'em maybe once a year for wear, but they last a long time and wear at pretty much the same rate.

BTW, chain skipping isn't always caused by excessive wear to chains or rear cogs. Mismatched freewheels and chains can skip when new. Shimano freewheels usually prefer narrow chains (clearly marked "narrow" on the link plates). Shimano spacers between cogs are slightly larger in diameter than some other brands and types. It's a minescule difference in roller diameter and plate size, but non-narrow chains can climb out of the cogs in the smaller cogs. Happened on my errand bike's Shimano MegaRange 7-speed freewheel when I installed the wrong chain. In the three smallest cogs the chain would climb out. Switching to a narrow chain fixed the problem. And SunRace freewheels don't have that problem.
Old 05-03-19, 04:06 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Gosh, assuming it fits and doesn't break when I put what little leg power I have into it, then I'm happy.

Don't know that I could cozy up to one and call it my favorite. Just too much overthinking on chains.

I guess we need someone to set up a site similar to bicyclerollingresistance.com so they can tell us the marginal power requirements for different brands of chain.