Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:43 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tavish
Saturday - Vance Creek RR 5s - Started race with about 50-60 people initially there was alot of shuffling for position and I always tried to stay near the front so I didn't get caught up in a crash. There are two squirley juniors I notice so I try and stay as far away from them as possible!!!! Going up the first hill a junior gives me a scare and I decide to F*** it and attack. I go clear about 10 miles into the race on a fairly mild mile long hill and have 15 seconds on a guy chasing and 25 seconds on the chase group as I crest the top. I keep pushing it and end up soloing all the way to the finish (29miles) and win by about 3:30 minutes up on the chase group and 5 minutes up on the pack. Plus my AVG speed was 24.5 mph and it was a decently hilly course. 1st

Sunday - UW Crit 4/5s - We had the biggest field on the day and IT WAS POURING. The loop was a half mile long with sketchy corners. I wanted to stay safe so I was conservative on the corners in the rain and just responded to moves as my 30sec power is lacking since my shortest intervals are 6min. Nothing we away as I just responded to most stuff. I moved up and came into the last corner in 1st and should've been the second wheel. But I took 3rd in the sprint. Oh yeah I was in the break away with about 12 guys and overlapped the rest of the field.

I am officially done with the 5s
Nice job! Sounds like you'll be a 3 before too long.

my race videos
Old 04-08-13, 11:48 AM
**** that

Saturday: Ft. Ord Circuit race 2/3's. Was there for the sprint finish but didn't play the cards right, 8th. Damn.

Sunday: Hanford Crit, Masters 1/2/3's and P/1/2. 7th in both. Damn.

In the p/1/2 the guy that won the Masters race from the break also won this one from a break, and lapped the field. Twice. Ugh.

However I was able to redeem $25 from a field prime and then got in a move of 4 riders with six to go that actually held off the pack, though of course we weren't going for the win. My legs have never hurt that much in a race! Good times.

Came out of Sunday with a new beefy-T and a $45. I'll take it.

my race videos
Old 04-08-13, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
We may have just bumped bars,I don't know. It's all a bit fuzzy, the most prominent element of what I remember is: "OH **** GRASS!" To be honest.
I took a brief trip into some gravel yesterday. Fortunately it wasn't sketchy and someone was kind enough to let me in a couple spots back.
Old 04-08-13, 08:05 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
MDCatV, that's great to hear!

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Shippensburg Scurry Horse Killer Road Race.

Finished. Wasn't pretty but I finished.

Have no clue where as I can't find any results posted
they may have actually pulled a Stalin Photo Trick on your result. I know there's one guy in my race whose name didn't show up anywhere in the results. Also wasn't the first mistake they made this weekend as they originally scored me as 1-lap down in the crit and that my teammates as DNF. All of us had to protest...

btw, better go find a photo of yourself and post it in the suffer-face photo thread. pics here (all courtesy of Jan V Polk)
Originally Posted by grolby
We may have just bumped bars,I don't know. It's all a bit fuzzy, the most prominent element of what I remember is: "OH **** GRASS!" To be honest.
if it were I in that situation, i'd be like: i've found a soft spot to land on

on a more serious note i was asking b/c i'm thinking of things i could have done yesterday when i hooked bars (me being the perp) with another rider and brought both of us down. I really do feel sorry for the other kid as it was my fault for drifting, the worst part being i had no recollection of the drift, just hearing "wtf are you doing man" and then tumbling to the ground. Though truth be told, there was probably nothing either one of us could have done as we were both out of the saddle when the bars hooked.
Old 04-08-13, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
on a more serious note i was asking b/c i'm thinking of things i could have done yesterday when i hooked bars (me being the perp) with another rider and brought both of us down. I really do feel sorry for the other kid as it was my fault for drifting, the worst part being i had no recollection of the drift, just hearing "wtf are you doing man" and then tumbling to the ground. Though truth be told, there was probably nothing either one of us could have done as we were both out of the saddle when the bars hooked.
Were you in the drops (I'm not joking)?
Old 04-08-13, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
Jefferson Cup, 35+. 60-ish miles of rolling terrain.

Set up team mate for long break with a good mix of 4, he won from it.

myself and another team mate slipped into every attempt to get across, lots of ebb and flow, lots of secondary moves but they all came back. i attacked with about 15 miles to go, a buddy from a different team went with me (when I say buddy, i mean good friend, we've been riding together weekly as part of the normal saturday ride crew for probably 10 years). we worked hard, picked up one of the guys who got dropped from the winning break. i'm not in very good shape right now and was tapped, buddy pulled allot last 5 miles, early break guy sat on. with 2K to go, i was confident that i could outsprint the others but wanted my buddy to get the top spot from our move since he did most of the work. we communicated, i attacked hard, early break guy was forced to chase, buddy countered, game over. i rolled in for a very hard earned and satisfying 6th place.
awesome. i've never really had the chance to participate in any kind of team tactics, so i really wish i could do stuff like this sometimes.

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Were you in the drops (I'm not joking)?
i don't think he'd notice if his hoods just disappeared mid-race. if he's not in IAB, he's always in the drops.
Old 04-08-13, 08:34 PM
fuggitivo solitario

I was. Or at least i think i was (damn, i cringe at saying that as i can't be sure). Let's say i'm 75% certain i was in the drops.

one thing is certain though, apparently i'm a wrecking ball when i'm too gassed as i really wasn't sure what was going on before it all happened. The mass sprint of the crit (something in which i rarely partake) was a lot safer in comparison.
Old 04-08-13, 08:39 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by climber7
awesome. i've never really had the chance to participate in any kind of team tactics, so i really wish i could do stuff like this sometimes.
Do you happen to know where you'll be next year? You looked very strong in the crit, and i'd think that most teams would love to have you on board.

i don't think he'd notice if his hoods just disappeared mid-race. if he's not in IAB, he's always in the drops.

if you can't do good in a race, at least you gotta look A-E-R-O for the pictures
Old 04-08-13, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was. Or at least i think i was (damn, i cringe at saying that as i can't be sure). Let's say i'm 75% certain i was in the drops.
The reason I ask is that if you were in the drops, you had a good chance to prevent it (get wide), and half a chance to save it (lean, touch brakes, shake free). On the hoods, no chance to prevent it, little chance to save it.
Old 04-08-13, 10:34 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Humboldt State collegiate race weekend:5th in rr, 3rd in crit

RR: 6 10 mile laps with about 900 feet of climbing per lap. intended to just sit in and survive. covered a move in the second lap up the climb thinking we'd be off the front for a couple minutes and then get caught, but it turned into the winning break. originally 6 of us, dropped one, and I hung on for 5th on a course that didn't suit me very much. finished 3:30 ahead of the field

crit: technical with uphill sprint finish. wet conditions but it didn't stop it from being fast. took 3rd in a close sprint, uploading gopro footage

https://youtu.be/EN25u6T9sSg

Last edited by zitter; 04-09-13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 11:59 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Sunday: Hanford Crit, Masters 1/2/3's and P/1/2. 7th in both. Damn.
On the bright side you got to spend a day in Hanford.

There was 1 pre entry in the P1/2. Must have been a rush at the end. Fonseca win?

Last edited by Racer Ex; 04-09-13 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 07:16 AM
These Guys Eat Oreos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
The reason I ask is that if you were in the drops, you had a good chance to prevent it (get wide), and half a chance to save it (lean, touch brakes, shake free). On the hoods, no chance to prevent it, little chance to save it.
I've hooked bars twice in races that were pretty nasty, both times in the drops, and both times was able to keep it upright. Neither was pretty though, and both were super close calls.
Old 04-09-13, 08:47 AM
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
U Washington omnium - our home race so most warmups consisted of visualization while corner marshaling.
Weekend temperatures ranged from 49 & rain to 46 & rain... real PacNW weather to be sure.

TL;DR Worked for the team again, team results were: 3rd RR out of the break, 2nd in the TTT, and 2nd in the crit.

RR: two climbs every 6 mile lap, got our climber into the break of 3 that was going to stick, then worked on thinning the pack by drilling the climbs. On the last lap a teammate and I drove the pack for about the whole last lap to the foot of the second climb to launch our other climber for a solo in.
Well, our guy in the break got pulled back by his break mates and then outsprinted, our guy who launched on the last lap got also got caught just before the line and outsprinted. Team 3rd & 6th... so close to 1st and 4th, but the it was the best play we had with the cards available.

Crit: My legs were good, I instigated and drove several breakaways for a good while, brought back some other breaks near the end of the race, drove the leadout for a while, pack finish. Sprinter who fell rather nastily in a corner last weekend got spooked and touched his brakes in the last corner when guys started leaning- 2nd for him. I don't blame him, the whole weekend was really cold, raining, and the roads were somewhere between slick and greasy, and he is still sporting lots of Tegaderm.

As the team captain who decides our tactics on the road, I struggled with whether to call my number to go up the road in the RR breakaway or send the guy that went. I sent the other guy thinking it gave us a better chance at winning, but in hindsight it probably should have been the other way around.

The crit was a tough pill to swallow - I'm still thinking about how to deal with it, our team simply didn't execute our strategy in the last 15 minutes of the race. 1/2 of our current B squad started the year never having raced a crit before, and that was only 6 weeks ago - they have good legs but apparently not quite as good as they thought. I've got a lot more thinking to do about this one.
The biggest bummer of it all is that our sprinter is so automatic that if we wanted to win it we could have just kept it together for the whole race and then we would have won. Instead we attacked the whole race, but the younger guys were gassed the last 15' and didn't tell anyone until it was too late. We were one counter-attack away from making it stick, but this isn't horseshoes.

Eh, it's collegiate racing - lots of learning, lots of racing, lots of being wet and cold.
Old 04-09-13, 09:02 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
On the bright side you got to spend a day in Hanford.

There was 1 pre entry in the P1/2. Must have been a rush at the end. Fonseca win?
The town was actually slightly larger than I expected, but yeah.. Hanford.

Hutch took both the Masters & the 1/2's race.

How was TopSport?

my race videos
Old 04-09-13, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of an odd weekend for me.

Cat3

Saturday: Philadelphia Naval Yard Criterium - sat 8-15th wheel for first 40 minutes then got a nasty side stitch...floated to the back...then off the back.

Sunday: Ronde van Mullica Road Race - Made it into the break with ~20mi to go...then at about 9mi to go started getting twinges in right leg...went off the back of the break with two others...kept our heads down to finish still about a minute up on the field.

I've been running on E pretty much for the last two months between working and my last semester of school..it caught up with me this weekend. On a positive note, my fitness seems better than expected for the lack of training/ sleep/ nutrition lately....aside from the cramps of course.
Old 04-09-13, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hida, you may have not gotten the results you wanted, but the consistency your team has been showing is a direct reflection of your hard work. Very nicely done.
Old 04-09-13, 09:56 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Eh, it's collegiate racing - lots of learning, lots of racing, lots of being wet and cold.
it's also a lot of camaraderie and caring. I'm sure your teammates appreciate all the tactical advice and hard work.
Old 04-09-13, 10:43 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,267 Times in 1,713 Posts
Originally Posted by zitter
Humboldt State collegiate race weekend:5th in rr, 3rd in crit

RR: 6 10 mile laps with about 900 feet of climbing per lap. intended to just sit in and survive. covered a move in the second lap up the climb thinking we'd be off the front for a couple minutes and then get caught, but it turned into the winning break. originally 6 of us, dropped one, and I hung on for 5th on a course that didn't suit me very much. finished 3:30 ahead of the field

crit: technical with uphill sprint finish. wet conditions but it didn't stop it from being fast. took 3rd in a close sprint, uploading gopro footage

https://youtu.be/EN25u6T9sSg
way to go man.

i cant believe you guys drove all the way up there!
thats my alma mater btw There is some awesome riding out there, esp. once you get into the hills past the redwood forests
Old 04-09-13, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it was beautiful up there. we took the 299 in and the 101 out
Old 04-09-13, 10:53 AM

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you happen to know where you'll be next year? You looked very strong in the crit, and i'd think that most teams would love to have you on board.
thank you. i think it helped that MIT, KMS, and robin carpenter were all absent, but i did feel pretty good. as for next year, don't know yet. still trying to figure some stuff out.
Old 04-09-13, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The town was actually slightly larger than I expected, but yeah.. Hanford.

Hutch took both the Masters & the 1/2's race.

How was TopSport?
he's a really good bike racer
Old 04-09-13, 11:37 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by MDcatV
he's a really good bike racer
No doubt about that.

Dude has quite the motor.. I jumped on his wheel for a prime held on for a few secs, but he just rode away like he was on a moped.

my race videos
Old 04-09-13, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was last 3 or 4 years around here. he didnt win everything, but he won allot. he was motivated too, it was as important to win the wednesday night training series as it was district championships.
Old 04-09-13, 03:41 PM
Resident Alien

How was TopSport?
Great until I flatted 1/2 through the road race. Then I woke up sick on Sunday. So it was like this:

Old 04-09-13, 03:49 PM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by zitter
it was beautiful up there. we took the 299 in and the 101 out
There's always traffic around the 420 there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.