Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 12:02 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Withlacoochee scenery? I must have been going too faster see it😊
Not familiar with Suncoast. Will look it up
We all have a different idea of what is scenic.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-05-17, 09:58 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Have not seen any MeMovers in my area but I have seen several Eliptical bikes (ElliptiGO 8C)-- most often a couple (probably rentals) but a geezer now and then-- looks like they have groups...
They look as if they are enjoying themselves in spite of stupidly high centers of gravity and maximal wind resistance properties. But, an improvement over running, I suppose.
Old 11-05-17, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
They look as if they are enjoying themselves in spite of stupidly high centers of gravity and maximal wind resistance properties. But, an improvement over running, I suppose.
Gets the old folks outdoors I guess but as far as effectively utilizing streets and byways for transportation and pleasure they've 'gotta be looked at as just toys to those of us who've cultivated an appreciation for the beauty and efficiency of a road bike to transfer our relatively small amount of hp into meaningful mph. I'm not expecting to see anyone wearing a backpack and touring California's north coast Bicentennial Bike Route on one of these-- not sure rollerblades wouldn't be a better option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SanO2.jpg (191.1 KB, 283 views)
Old 11-05-17, 01:08 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Gets the old folks outdoors I guess but as far as effectively utilizing streets and byways for transportation and pleasure they've 'gotta be looked at as just toys to those of us who've cultivated an appreciation for the beauty and efficiency of a road bike to transfer our relatively small amount of hp into meaningful mph. I'm not expecting to see anyone wearing a backpack and touring California's north coast Bicentennial Bike Route on one of these-- not sure rollerblades wouldn't be a better option.
Yes, if it gets folks outdoors vigorously exercising, its a good thing.
Old 11-05-17, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Yes, if it gets folks outdoors vigorously exercising, its a good thing.
This.
A number of years ago I was injured while training for a marathon. I was traveling to the race and had already booked the trip. I was able to do most of my training on an elliptical so I was able to do the race. I have to say I would have loved to have an Elliptigo since three hours on an elliptical in the gym was no party.
Old 11-05-17, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TCR Rider

I would have loved to have an Elliptigo since three hours on an elliptical in the gym was no party.
There are a lot of reviews and mostly 5-star reviews, nearly all of which are from runners...
Old 11-06-17, 03:33 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
That time of the year finally in Florida, cooler, low humidity. Switching from my road bicycle to the Me-Mover FIT gives me a great cross training workout. I was surprised when I started riding the Me-Mover almost 2 years ago, my leg muscles felt the difference in propulsion. Felt good standing giving my butt some needed time away from the saddle, I felt the difference in my glutes as well as my core big time.
My endurance has increased, that's the way I feel, good for a soon to be 80 year old in a few days. I did a 3 hour ride today over rolling hills which gives excellent aerobic training.
FANTASTIC WEATHER DAY this past Saturday here in Rotonda, SW Fl area for a bicycle ride. 101 miles on my Giant Propel then 101 more on my 2013 Roubaix Expert. Day was also my 4 year anniversary since completing my first Ironman, Panama City Beach, Florida. While riding I was continually recalling where my location would have been on the course at the same time. Can't believe I was able to complete the Ironman.

Have not seen any MeMovers in my area but I have seen several Eliptical bikes (ElliptiGO 8C)-- most often a couple (probably rentals) but a geezer now and then-- looks like they have groups...
Originally Posted by TCR Rider
This.
A number of years ago I was injured while training for a marathon. I was traveling to the race and had already booked the trip. I was able to do most of my training on an elliptical so I was able to do the race. I have to say I would have loved to have an Elliptigo since three hours on an elliptical in the gym was no party.
There are a lot of reviews and mostly 5-star reviews, nearly all of which are from runners...
2017 Bike Sebring 12/24 Hours had 2 Elliptigo athletes. Amazing results for time on the machines.... RaceSmith, Inc. - Bike Sebring 24 Hours

Tera Moody at age 37 in 14:19:12 distance of 213.2 miles

Jordan Trump at age 30 in 17:01:12 distance of 255 miles
Old 11-06-17, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

2017 Bike Sebring 12/24 Hours had 2 Elliptigo athletes. Amazing results for time on the machines.... RaceSmith, Inc. - Bike Sebring 24 Hours

Tera Moody at age 37 in 14:19:12 distance of 213.2 miles

Jordan Trump at age 30 in 17:01:12 distance of 255 miles
Googled an interesting factoid:

The greatest distance on inline skates (rollerblades) in 24 hours by a male is 543.59 km (337.77 miles) and was achieved by Mauro Guenci (Italy), in Senigallia, Ancona, Italy between 11 - 12 June 2004.
Old 11-12-17, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I qualify Twice. 66 y/o. Lost both sets of car keys to my Buick last week. They are somewhere in the house?
Yep, went to Bucik had a set made. When I got home found one set in my computer chair.
Good thing one never forgets how to ride a bicycle.
I guess I qualify as I will be 67 this spring...About the car keys. I went on a starter date this weekend and was figuring on climbing a 2-3 mile hike at Harpers Ferry. She shows up and tells me to throw my hiking poles back in the car and we only did a history visit around the town bummer. On the car keys I bought a new Mazda CX-5 end of Dec. after totaling my Subaru Forester on black ice. I put on one of my winter coats and bingo there is my 2nd set of cars keys I lost about the 2nd week I had the car. lol

On another note just to show that the old geezers aren't ready for the rocking chair just yet check this out

Over at gravelcyclist.com

Home page lower left click on older posts

Probably the 3rd or 4th page now

Larry Brenize Pony Express 75 miler

My first gravel race

Zman
Old 11-16-17, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Zurichman2

I put on one of my winter coats and bingo there is my 2nd set of cars keys I lost about the 2nd week I had the car. lol

On another note...

If you'd found'm in the refrigerator... then, we might start to worry.
Old 11-17-17, 09:19 PM
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 74 years old and there have been very few periods of my life that I did not have at least one bicycle. Even in the air force I had bikes including one very poorly made machine in Vietnam. Needless to say that one was confined to getting around on the base at Bien Hoa. Currently have a commuter for the 7- mile ride downtown to a volunteer job 2 or 3 days per week and a hybrid for general riding. Yes, endurance has diminished over the years and I last "rode my age" 4 years ago. Between aging and the increase in traffic around this growing metro area, I ride less cross country and more on MUP's and city streets. Riding a bicycle still seems somewhat magical to me and I often sort of zone out just gliding along with so little effort. Of course the hills are getting steeper, but the shifter hasn't bottomed out on me yet.
Old 11-18-17, 07:42 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurch
I'm 74 years old and there have been very few periods of my life that I did not have at least one bicycle. Even in the air force I had bikes including one very poorly made machine in Vietnam. Needless to say that one was confined to getting around on the base at Bien Hoa. Currently have a commuter for the 7- mile ride downtown to a volunteer job 2 or 3 days per week and a hybrid for general riding. Yes, endurance has diminished over the years and I last "rode my age" 4 years ago. Between aging and the increase in traffic around this growing metro area, I ride less cross country and more on MUP's and city streets. Riding a bicycle still seems somewhat magical to me and I often sort of zone out just gliding along with so little effort. Of course the hills are getting steeper, but the shifter hasn't bottomed out on me yet.
Sounds a lot like me, down to the decreasing endurance and less desire to be out on the ever busier roads around here with the ever more distracted drivers ("The way that car is weaving, the guy is either drunk or on a cell phone!"). Fortunately, we have a couple of great rail-trail MUPs practically outside my doorway and numerous others within an hour's drive away.

I would probably be pushing it to attempt to ride my age these days. I am also a runner, and one age-related benchmark is to run a 10K in less than your age. At least that gives you an additional minute every year, which is about the pace that I've been losing speed. But at 71 I can still break 60 minutes in a 10K so should be able to make the mark for a few more years!
Old 11-18-17, 06:06 PM

Yes, endurance has diminished over the years and I last "rode my age" 4 years ago.

Perhaps riding while older is like engaging in a sport we've never done before--e.g., an inexperienced paddler gets a lot more exercise paddling just a short distance than would a practiced paddler. Maybe we should join the metric age and look forward to riding our age in... kilometers?
Old 11-18-17, 06:51 PM

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
go geezers

We should lead the way on the Metric Age. The rest of the planet is already there. Let's set a new standard for the kids born AT. (after television).
Old 11-18-17, 08:37 PM
Fossil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps riding while older is like engaging in a sport we've never done before--e.g., an inexperienced paddler gets a lot more exercise paddling just a short distance than would a practiced paddler. Maybe we should join the metric age and look forward to riding our age in... kilometers?
I like that idea. Let's go metric. So 74 X .62 = 46 miles. I could probably do that. Had I been thinking metric last summer at Kitty Hawk, only 2 more miles would have put me over. Other than the traffic it's a good place for making mileage (kilometerage?) with minimal elevation changes. The wind can be a factor though as the Wright Bros. knew and counted on.
Old 11-19-17, 12:37 PM

it's a good place for making mileage (kilometerage?) ...

Something to perhaps work toward– e.g., a... metric century!
Old 11-20-17, 05:41 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like that , will be 74 in February.I live in east Tenn. and it has a tendency to be very cool to cold that time of the year.Still doing over 5,000 miles a year
Old 11-20-17, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being 80

I feel my endurance has increased after acclimating riding the Me-Mover, I still work out with weights, some routines with the same weight I used over 10 years ago. Although I now use a Me-Mover more than I ride my bicycle, I didn't when I first started riding the stand-up scooter because it requires more energy to propel, but after a while, I got used to it, glad I did because of my endurance. I enjoy standing, using my leg muscles differently, no more huffing and puffing as I did about 2 years ago the first time I started stepping, really felt it, lactic acid started with only a short ride, did I made a mistake at 78? Too old to ride a Me-Mover I thought.
But I fought the lactic acid build up, each time I went farther which proves even at an older age we can still build muscle and endurance. I was surprised because I could ride my bicycle for hours, obviously, I was using different muscles including my core which gets' hardly any use spinning on a bicycle.
It's true if we use the same muscles constantly without cross training, it stops being a workout, the body get's so used to it. The Me-Mover is my rehab for my age.

Last edited by CrazyIvan; 11-20-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:15 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Of all the new fangled machines out there to keep us more active, I resorted in my last purchase to just rolling along with fenders. And vintage - since I'm also in that category.

I must admit that I am planning on going to The Peleton store in nearby Bellevue, WA to try their machine (as it has been so heavily advertised on TV). I don't want to buy one but hopefully it can give me a value of the watts I can generate.
Attached Images
follis 5 (2).jpg (243.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-20-17, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me-Mover is in the niche market, Danish company promoting an alternative to bicycles, not much advertising, but one hell of an aerobic training self-powered vehicle that requires about 20% more effort to propel than a bicycle. Will tell you what kind of shape you are really in the first few miles you ride it.
Old 11-21-17, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Of all the new fangled machines out there to keep us more active...

I went with new fangled...
Attached Images
New fangled....jpg (642.7 KB, 158 views)
Old 11-21-17, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I went with new fangled...
THat's what I'm talkin' bout.
Old 11-23-17, 09:44 AM

Happy Sinkie Day is tomorrow (when you eat your leftovers over the kitchen sink)…


Attached Images
Thanksgiving 2017.jpg (393.0 KB, 144 views)
Old 11-24-17, 09:58 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Happy Sinkie Day is tomorrow (when you eat your leftovers over the kitchen sink)...
Nope. We did that last night. Cold cornbread dressing, home made cranberry sauce and sliced cold turkey on home made sourdough bread with a little mayo.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-24-17, 03:35 PM
Fossil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rearview mirror view

Good reason to ride; the scenery/views:
Attached Images
IMG_20171121_134705932.jpg (1.51 MB, 387 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.