Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Not-so-friendly ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Not-so-friendly ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
I was invited by a few friends on what I though was going to be endurance-paced ride of 75-80mi.
Familiar or not, I guess my point is that I expect a ride to be conducted as advertised.
I guess my question would be were you told it would be an endurance paced ride, or did you assume that? It isn't clear from the first post. I agree rides should be as advertised, but people have the right to hammer and beat up on each other if that's their preference. Just as they have the right not to ride with jerks.
Old 06-26-18, 02:33 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12871 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
I could use some perspective on this....
{...**
Am I right to be upset? Did my friends do something "wrong"?
I don't see any particular reason to be upset, unless you really hate riding solo, or are unfamiliar with the area, making getting back home difficult.
Old 06-26-18, 02:38 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
That middle paragraph of Heathpack's post (#13) out to be verbalized every time this happens. Roosters strutting their stuff?

In my racing days, I spent a summer riding and training alone for the most part. Did a 45 mile loop several times a week. Frequently a woman of our club would cross me on her commute to work. When that happened, she would pull a U-turn and draft me for a longer, faster ride in. I took a day off mid-week and usually did a 120 mile ride to the top of the biggest hill in central Mass. I'd let her know and if she was up to it, we met the same way, do the middle 80 miles together, then I would drop her off close to her home with 20 to go for me. Mostly I would pull. A little side by side on the quiet roads. Pace dropped to her level on hills until we hit the big climb, then we each did our own thing and met for lunch at the top. I did my speed work on that hill and on rides without her. This routine worked very well. That summer was the high point of my racing, a level of form I never saw before or since. She was a joy to ride with. She loved riding with the men who were faster but courteous because she got to go further and faster doing what she loved, riding the bike.

One day, I had to do the ride early and work the afternoon so we started early, She'd raced the night before and didn't have the legs. We got to the big hill OK but I couldnt waste time coming home. Right after coming off the hill were two far lesser but still very real back country climbs. She absolutely didn't have it. So, do I leaver her 40 miles from home? Show up at work an hour late? Well, I could push her. I'd been told how. So I did. One of the two hardest climbs I have ever done. (I wouldn't learn until years later when I tried to push someone else just how good a rider she was. She "got" that she was steering for both of us. I had my left hand at the stem and was going to the max nearly cross-eyed.)

It was amusing that when I showed up for the big races, I often did far better than the riders who worshiped the fast rides. 30 years later I rode with the same woman and her husband for a hilly 40 mile ride in Vermont. Different dynamics with three. It was usually 2 and 1 in all combinations with frequent circle backs by the two men. Worked really well. The time I spent riding with her was a reminder of that special summer. (And no, romance was not a part of this, just pure riding by two who loved to ride and could do it together so well.)

Ben
Old 06-26-18, 02:41 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 405 Posts
Unless it was stated before that the ride was going to be a no mercy/race, they shouldn't have droped you. And not 100% sure, but I think gender might have to do with it.
Old 06-26-18, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not to ask a dumb question, but is there a general consensus to what A, B and C groups mean? Or is there real no general rule of thumb universally accepted ? I have never been in a group ride before...
Old 06-26-18, 03:26 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I don't see any particular reason to be upset, unless you really hate riding solo, or are unfamiliar with the area, making getting back home difficult.
Whether you are upset or not depends on the circumstance:

Dropped from a "no drop" ride- that's annoying
Dropped by a few friends putting together a casual ride- that's annoying
Dropped because one guy decides he can't contain himself on the Monday night easy ride and all the other guys chase- that's annoying

Dropped from Tuesday Night Worlds- not annoying
Fall back from the A group to the B group on the big Saturday ride- not annoying
Can't keep up with the epic endurance ride and ask people to please go on without you, you'll limp it home- not annoying

And definitely the circumstance you describe- invited on a ride, not your route, don't know where you are, get dropped- annoying
Old 06-26-18, 03:37 PM
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Every group ride I've been we typically do the following if there is someone new to the group.

1. Discuss the route.
2. Note all regroup points.
3. Exchange numbers for texting in case of emergency.
4. Establish the "pace".

Next time ask those questions, I do if they're not discussed. That way you know right away what it's going to be like. Even better ask those questions prior to the ride

Sounds like your friends may have over estimated your form/shape fitness level at this time. You've never ridden with them before? If the rides are on Strava or whatever tracking app your group uses you could check out the average speed they ride at and see if that fits you. That sucks that it happened that way, are there other groups more your ability level? Maybe next time you can offer to be the group leader and take your friends on your favorite route. And prior to the ride establish your own ground rules. They'll enjoy the ride with you and see what your expectations are when riding with a group. You could even say out and out to them "Hey, that was a tough ride I was not ready for that", "do you think next time we can do a more sustainable pace"? Something to that effect, I don't think you have to write those friends off at all, just set expectations.

Group rides are a lot of fun. Just have to plan a bit more going forwards and communicate up front so you're not surprised next time!

Good luck.
Old 06-26-18, 03:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

Dropped because one guy decides he can't contain himself on the Monday night easy ride and all the other guys chase- that's annoying

Fall back from the A group to the B group on the big Saturday ride- not annoying
Can't keep up with the epic endurance ride and ask people to please go on without you, you'll limp it home- not annoying

And definitely the circumstance you describe- invited on a ride, not your route, don't know where you are, get dropped- annoying
Exactly.
Old 06-26-18, 03:51 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by voyager1
Not to ask a dumb question, but is there a general consensus to what A, B and C groups mean? Or is there real no general rule of thumb universally accepted ? I have never been in a group ride before...
Many clubs/groups have an established pace/avg speed ranking. When I'm leading I always tell everyone both the expected flat ground cruising speed and average speed. For the casual groups I lead that's often 17/15 or 17/14, somewhere in there. I often find if you tell people the average speed of the two or three groups we have, they think that's too slow and will jump into a faster group, then die So it's much better to cite both speeds.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-26-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 03:52 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10991 Post(s)
Liked 4,662 Times in 2,142 Posts
Not really. My club uses Levels like 1, 2, and 3. I’ve seen what the OP wrote a zillion times over the last 37 seasons and it’s a big problem if there is no leader or a meek leader who can’t control the group.

Old 06-26-18, 03:56 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
You couldn't be more wrong. It simply is what it is. It isn't gender specific, only your sensitivity we all have about not being strong enough. None of us ride at the pro level or even CAT 1 level. )
Well, some of us do.

But I've been in the same situation as the OP and simply turned around and gone home myself.

Sometimes the hammer, sometimes the nail sort of thing. But it can be very irritating when you're prepped (mentally/physically) for one type of ride and then hanging on to another.
Old 06-26-18, 04:00 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yes, it is a common dynamic, and I should be used to it... for the purposes of full disclosure, one of the hammerheads was actually a family member. Some anonymous roadie acting like an *** happens all the time and we all laugh about it later. But this wasn't that, it was a family member, and close friends. The family member typically looks to me for advice on group riding because I have more experience, but he doesn't seem to think that there was anything wrong about what he did. I posted here because I thought maybe I was being too sensitive or rigid or something.
That sucks. I'd be pissed, too.

He's just clueless, so you gotta let him know. Otherwise, he won't.
Old 06-26-18, 04:01 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Heathpack

Actually the last one could be dangerous in some cases.

Another one where I'd call it more than a minor annoyance would be where they've invited you out on a ride that requires you drive an hour or more to get to, and it turns out they've misrepresented what the ride would be like.
Old 06-26-18, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I guess my question would be were you told it would be an endurance paced ride, or did you assume that? It isn't clear from the first post. I agree rides should be as advertised, but people have the right to hammer and beat up on each other if that's their preference. Just as they have the right not to ride with jerks.
I never assume anything about a ride after having done so one time.
Old 06-26-18, 04:24 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22682 Post(s)
Liked 9,013 Times in 4,194 Posts
Life lesson. I think your co-riders were semi-******y but this is pretty typical roadie behavior. I would not give up on riding with them again but next time you may want to clarify the expected pace and whether it will be a no-drop ride. Then you can have a more realistic expectation and decide if you want to join or not.
Old 06-26-18, 04:45 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr

Not really. My club uses Levels like 1, 2, and 3. I’ve seen what the OP wrote a zillion times over the last 37 seasons and it’s a big problem if there is no leader or a meek leader who can’t control the group.
The problem with even the posted pace is that it all goes to heck as soon as uphills and downhills are involved. Eg. our club uses and A/B/C designation, followed by a speed number, eg. C14, B18, A22 or whatnot... the numbers within each category can change, though C rides never exceed 15, B rides don't exceed 19, and A rides start usually at 20. A rides by default mean that paceline skills are expected.

The problem is hills.. the pace as listed by the ride is average speed on flats. The ability of riders to climb varies a lot. While one person is fine holding eg. a 18mph pace on flats, some riders will go up the 5% gradient at 12mph, some can only manage 10 or 8mph. On the downhills, there are those uncomfortable going full out and actually pedaling, and therefore do some braking on a descent. I've seen recently some ride postings (modern era stuff) where leader has posted the expected watts/kg output for the riders.. this for obvious reasons has all sorts of other flaws..
Old 06-26-18, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
If they wanted to, they could have split the ride.

A group of 4 is tough to split, but it could have been split into 2 groups of 2 riders. So nobody is left fending for themselves.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The problem is hills.. the pace as listed by the ride is average speed on flats. The ability of riders to climb varies a lot.
One can have regroup points after big climbs. To some extent, one can vary one's pace on hills, but this has me a bit worried. I had a 70+ yr old neighbor invite me to do some training rides on his private road/driveway. I only did the first 1/8 mile or so to the gate, but it is wicked steep. The problem is that my good bike just doesn't have the gears to drop down to his pace. I have to give him many kudos for doing the hill, but it would just seem awkward if we ever ride together, and I disappeared out of sight.
Old 06-26-18, 05:14 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If they wanted to, they could have split the ride.

A group of 4 is tough to split, but it could have been split into 2 groups of 2 riders. So nobody is left fending for themselves.

One can have regroup points after big climbs. To some extent, one can vary one's pace on hills, but this has me a bit worried. I had a 70+ yr old neighbor invite me to do some training rides on his private road/driveway. I only did the first 1/8 mile or so to the gate, but it is wicked steep. The problem is that my good bike just doesn't have the gears to drop down to his pace. I have to give him many kudos for doing the hill, but it would just seem awkward if we ever ride together, and I disappeared out of sight.
Exactly right.. sometimes to slow down to the pace, and without the gearing to match, you can find yourself mashing at 50rpms. Regroups work for a long climb with a top; more issues if there are lots of rolling hills, where the regroup may be 5 miles down the road.
Old 06-26-18, 07:03 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Many clubs/groups have an established pace/avg speed ranking. When I'm leading I always tell everyone both the expected flat ground cruising speed and average speed. For the casual groups I lead that's often 17/15 or 17/14, somewhere in there. I often find if you tell people the average speed of the two or three groups we have, they think that's too slow and will jump into a faster group, then die So it's much better to cite both speeds.
Yes. That's a big help for new riders. On one of my first club rides, I remember being very surprised at the fast pace on the flatter roads, well above the "15 average" advertised speed. Including the flat road speeds give a better idea of the true pace.

I've been on quite a few rides over the years where I just couldn't keep up with the group toward the end of the ride. I had the route on a GPS, and told them to go ahead, I'd meet up at the end of the ride. But they've always waited. (which can be kind of annoying, I wanted to slow way down, but felt I had to make a hard effort since they waited at turns.) I've never seen the "sorry, we'll drop you if you can't keep up" attitude, ever.

Rides can easily be faster than advertised if most of the riders that show up can go fast. It's okay on shorter rides as long as all the riders can hang on and don't get gapped off the group, but it's not really fair to the slowest few that weren't expecting a max effort ride. The ride leader should try to dial back the pace. Sometimes the group can be split into two speeds after the ride starts, since so many riders have the route loaded now.

The problem with even the posted pace is that it all goes to heck as soon as uphills and downhills are involved. Eg. our club uses and A/B/C designation, followed by a speed number, eg. C14, B18, A22 or whatnot... the numbers within each category can change, though C rides never exceed 15, B rides don't exceed 19, and A rides start usually at 20. A rides by default mean that paceline skills are expected.

The problem is hills.. the pace as listed by the ride is average speed on flats. The ability of riders to climb varies a lot. While one person is fine holding eg. a 18mph pace on flats, some riders will go up the 5% gradient at 12mph, some can only manage 10 or 8mph. On the downhills, there are those uncomfortable going full out and actually pedaling, and therefore do some braking on a descent. I've seen recently some ride postings (modern era stuff) where leader has posted the expected watts/kg output for the riders.. this for obvious reasons has all sorts of other flaws..
Yeah, drafting can let faster and slower riders stay together, with the slower riders hanging in the back, not pulling. But hills don't work this way, and there's a big difference in climbing speeds.

But the groups I've ridden with don't mind regrouping at the top of a mile long hill, and there's often just a few of these. The wait is rarely more than a minute.

A very hilly ride with a big list of climbs gets fewer of the slow climbers, as long as they actually look at the ride description or the route in advance.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-26-18 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
IMO this represents the true difficulty in group rides especially those with small groups. When one rider isn't able to sit in w/o getting dropped. Do the other riders suffer (alter their riding) to benefit the one weaker rider?

In the end, it looks like there was poor communication of the ride pace before the ride. Surely you wouldn't have joined if you would have clearly known that you couldn't keep the pace.
Old 06-26-18, 09:22 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10991 Post(s)
Liked 4,662 Times in 2,142 Posts

i would agree with all that you wrote including the W/Kg.

Old 06-26-18, 10:09 PM
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I don't think there is any general consensus, apart from the very broad assumption that the A group is the fastest, the C group are the slowest and the B group are the middle ground between the two.
But everything outside of that is going to be relative to the group or club involved. The C group of a fast, racing-paced club may end up being faster than the A group of a casual touring club, and whether they will wait for you or not really depends on the drop policy of the club and/or the ride leader organizing a specific ride (though typically clubs have some kind of general rule, like "we don't leave anyone behind" or so on).
Old 06-26-18, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Surely if they know you well they have a fairly good idea of the pace you can ride at?
To then invite you to a ride and then drop you is simply rude.
Even if it turns out to they need to go a bit slower than expected they should just ease up.
It is only a group of four "friends" so it is not like you are expecting a large group of strangers to modify their ride to suit you.
Old 06-27-18, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I don't think there is any general consensus, apart from the very broad assumption that the A group is the fastest, the C group are the slowest and the B group are the middle ground between the two.
But everything outside of that is going to be relative to the group or club involved. The C group of a fast, racing-paced club may end up being faster than the A group of a casual touring club, and whether they will wait for you or not really depends on the drop policy of the club and/or the ride leader organizing a specific ride (though typically clubs have some kind of general rule, like "we don't leave anyone behind" or so on).

in my club, A is slowest, & C is fast, so there's not even consensus on that.
Old 06-27-18, 04:22 AM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
None of us ride at the pro level or even CAT 1 level.
To the OP I'd say find another group. If this had happened to me I would've just done my own ride, but then I primarly ride alone anyway - you know, so I dont get dropped by any Cat 1 riders. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.