Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O’ Crap, Series Seven

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Box O’ Crap, Series Seven

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 01:22 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Take some of the space robbing real crap to the co-op, and restuff it to the gills with “better crap.”
That's the spirit!

Old 02-03-19, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
That's the spirit!
Really, I’m just trying to figure out how to fit the cat in there!
Old 02-03-19, 03:01 PM

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

Really, I’m just trying to figure out how to fit the cat in there!
Hmm... I haven’t reviewed the rules recently, but I’m pretty sure live animals are not permitted in the box o crap. At least discouraged.
Old 02-03-19, 03:46 PM
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I don't think the cat would like it here.... the dogs would love a new chew toy.

Your call....
Old 02-03-19, 07:54 PM

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts

... Take some of the space robbing real crap to the co-op, and restuff it to the gills with “better crap.”

I'd pull that very gaudy NOS saddle some dumb troglodyte painstakingly wrapped in bubbles and put in there; at least your co-op would be able to pass it off to some poor hipster who wants to bling up his fixie. You're in a college town, eh?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-03-19, 08:02 PM
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,052 Posts
one man's crap is another man's not crap.
it should be up to the recipient to determine what crap they want to remove for themselves, put in more crap for future rounds, and move on.
just because you might think it is 'real crap' doesn't mean the next person (or second, or third, or...) will think it is 'real crap'. what if i were to think something was 'real crap', took it out/donated to the local co-op or threw it away, and someone down the line was looking for that particular piece of crap.
i vote for no 'real crap' removal. it kinda goes against the 'essence de box-o-crap'.
see rules 12 and 13.
or start a 'box of boutique items' mailing list.

Last edited by hazetguy; 02-03-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 09:30 PM
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
one man's crap is another man's not crap.
it should be up to the recipient to determine what crap they want to remove for themselves, put in more crap for future rounds, and move on.
just because you might think it is 'real crap' doesn't mean the next person (or second, or third, or...) will think it is 'real crap'. what if i were to think something was 'real crap', took it out/donated to the local co-op or threw it away, and someone down the line was looking for that particular piece of crap.
i vote for no 'real crap' removal. it kinda goes against the 'essence de box-o-crap'.
see rules 12 and 13.
or start a 'box of boutique items' mailing list.
I'd generally second the spirit of your comment, but I do think that members here are generally pretty good about understanding the distinction between crap and junk - nobody would play this game if it was the "Box O' Reflectors, Presta Valve Caps, and Safety Levers." It's much more fun for everyone if the things in the box are potentially useful, not broken or highly unlikely to be wanted.
Old 02-03-19, 10:28 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
see rules 12 and 13.
Yes, rule 12 - " Please, no completely worthless, borked crap..."

The playuh is the one to decide...
Old 02-03-19, 11:22 PM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
It can be hard to decide on borked crap too, bits and pieces can be salvageable. However, sometimes when there’s three of the same borked crap, it can be time to replace with other crap. Crap is in the eye of the beholder. But once you’ve passed some crap (did I just type that?), seems to me it’s up to the next player about what to do with it. Otherwise we’d get all bogged down in crap like the federal government.
Old 02-04-19, 01:43 AM

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Case in point: I think I pulled all the completely borked crap out of the box before I passed it on to DJ. (The DA RD had some screws and cable adjuster I can use; the brake levers were just borked and useless.) I applaud a player's desire to add as much good stuff to the box as possible, but it is difficult to know where to draw the line sometimes when one is winnowing 'useless" crap from the Box o' Crap..
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-04-19, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,226 Posts
I've seen some items get stripped and put back in. Just retire the piece if you don't need the whole part.
Old 02-04-19, 12:44 PM

Well I’ll just leave it be. I have no intention to subject anyone to a lack of clunky, late era MTB derailleurs, disassembled and incomplete safety levers, or a tangled web of bike computers if that would disrupt the true spirit of the game.

There are are some pretty right on pieces in the box. But I’d say that about 35% of it’s space is occupied by items that will just continue to get passed.

Anyway, box is going out on my next day off, Wednesday morning, due to 10 hr shifts at work between now and then.

Last edited by deux jambes; 02-04-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 01:12 PM
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Wednesday..... the anticipation grows.
I should still get it by Saturday...
Old 02-04-19, 03:24 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

It's a damn, confusing thing this BOC game. Just let your heart tell you what to do.
Old 02-04-19, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I appreciate all the self policing on this. It make my job easier...
Old 02-04-19, 04:11 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by crandress
I appreciate all the self policing on this. It make my job easier...
Job? They're paying you?
Old 02-04-19, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
CrapMaster. I have finally reached the requisite 150 posts... please add me to the list. I have read all the rules and will abide by them.
Old 02-04-19, 04:46 PM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Job? They're paying you?
you mean you didn’t get paid?
Old 02-04-19, 06:08 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
I will admit to being on both sides of the crap argument. I have taken crap out (stuff I thought was junk) to make room for better crap. I've also spent extra time bagging things. Not as much time as whoever made the metal liner, though I have straightened out its corners a bit a couple times.

OTOH, I have also been guilty of putting in stuff which may not have been quite up-to-snuff (I'm thinking of a certain bag o' Delrin Simplex derailleurs ). In the end, I think everyone needs to make a game day decision. The Simplex crap went in because I couldn't think of anything else to toss in the box and there was room. I imagine someone very nearly downstream from me yanked it right back out. Think of them as padding so other stuff didn't rattle around and get damaged.
Old 02-04-19, 07:58 PM
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
...I have taken crap out (stuff I thought was junk) to make room for better crap.
As have I, and several others as well. There's a definite precedent for this, and it has generally fallen to whomever is holding the box to make a call on what's truly garbage and what is "crap" in the spirit of the game. When in doubt one can always take a quick shot of the proposed purge and PM it to the Crapmaster, at which point a final call can be made without ruining the surprise for others if things go back into the box.

My $.02 as a 7-time BOC'er.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-04-19, 11:01 PM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
OTOH, I have also been guilty of putting in stuff which may not have been quite up-to-snuff (I'm thinking of a certain bag o' Delrin Simplex derailleurs ). In the end, I think everyone needs to make a game day decision. The Simplex crap went in because I couldn't think of anything else to toss in the box and there was room. I imagine someone very nearly downstream from me yanked it right back out. Think of them as padding so other stuff didn't rattle around and get damaged.
Hey, no hard feelings. Remember, I re-combined parts and put one very good one back in - a team box-o-crap effort! And there is always some cool crap - I know I got some!

Last edited by mountaindave; 02-04-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 02:18 PM

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
CrapMaster. I have finally reached the requisite 150 posts... please add me to the list. I have read all the rules and will abide by them.
Since i weighed in with my request in the middle of the contentious debate about crap vs junk.

Please add me to the list.
Old 02-05-19, 03:19 PM

I appreciate all the feedback regarding removing crap to make space for other crap. And I respect that there are two contradictory slants to this regard. In the end however, I had to admit that when setting personal preferences and opinions aside, I’m not qualified to differentiate what is real crap from what is good sh*t when keeping the next BOC recipients in mind.

So with that approach, I believe I’ve found out how I can comfortably play the BOC game. “Take what you want, and leave the rest.” Of course, contribute thoughtfully as well. If I’m going to be honest I do need to mention that I did remove about half of the bike computers for co-op donation. I’ve read too many complaints in this thread of too many computers in the box to resist. And it gained a little room for what might be more appreciated.

So here’s my take. All items which I hope to find use for some time in the future, or else put back into the box next time around. I’ve added some crap of my own which hopefully someone up the line will determine to be good sh*t upon finding it for themselves.

And somehow I managed to get the lid back on! I didn’t think it was possible, but It’s packed a little tighter than when I received it.

I’d put forth a little extra effort, I should be able to send the box northern bound tomorrow. Otherwise Thursday as initially planned. I’ll update then...

Thanks all,
Matt
Old 02-05-19, 03:47 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
When in doubt one can always take a quick shot of the proposed purge and PM it to the Crapmaster, at which point a final call can be made without ruining the surprise for others if things go back into the box.
During my reign I would have told the PM'er to look into their heart to decide.
But the current Crapmaster is getting paid to do this, so make him earn his money.
Old 02-05-19, 03:50 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

@deux jambes, disassemble and soak those bells in an oxalic acid solution, rins thoroughly, then oil up the spinning innards. Should ring like a champ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.