Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your call for the best tyres re: RR and Puncture Resistance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Which one do you suggest?
Continentals
61.76%
Vittorias
11.76%
Other
26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Your call for the best tyres re: RR and Puncture Resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-22, 09:58 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Between GP5ks and Corsas, for fewer punctures I'd go with the former. I have both, and I LOVE the Corsas - at the same pressures, they're so much smoother riding that I sometimes look down to see if they're flat. The problem is, occasionally they are, a little bit more often than the Contis on the same roads.

I should note that where I ride sidewall cuts are generally not an issue, but glass bits are. And rocks that cause pinch flats, because I am a pothole and rock magnet. If there's a bump, a pothole, or a rock, I'll find it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-03-22, 10:00 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by tajimirich
I've heard of this zaney new science lol, I like 25c tyres..

Hmm well, I dunno about wanting cruise'y comfort... I like the feeling of a well pumped tyre; feeling all the individual grains in the road, I put up with the harder bumps - I had an aluminium frame until I recently went to steel and I expect the new frame to sufficiently dampen bumps to make a difference for my tastes - I don't think I want smoothness no, just no resistance, just want gravity and power to decide the speed, not friction or a stodgy tread or compound
25's are for wimps. Real men ride 23's pumped up to 140 psi.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-03-22, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
But generally my inner tubes have failed more than the tyres - I like as firm a ride as possible so I generally put as much air as I can into the tubes and they eventually fail. The last three tubes I went through: Giant, gunshot like pop that ruptured my tyres (og GIANT tyres); huge swelling that mishaped the tyre (og GIANT tyres); big, if not quite giant, pop (well worn continental tyres).
If a tire ruptures, it isn't the fault of the inner tube. By itself the tube cannot contain high pressure, rather it is the job of the tire to contain the inner tube. A gunshot type failure is a result of either a failure of the tire casing or of the tire bead blowing off the rim.
Old 06-03-22, 10:22 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by alcjphil
If a tire ruptures, it isn't the fault of the inner tube. By itself the tube cannot contain high pressure, rather it is the job of the tire to contain the inner tube. A gunshot type failure is a result of either a failure of the tire casing or of the tire bead blowing off the rim.
Yeah, two of the 3 incidents described are tire failures, not tube failures.

Old 06-03-22, 10:44 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
Michelin Power Protection+ has been my compromise between Gatorskins and full on race tire. I won't really train on anything else now-a-days, and I don't fret when I have to race on them.
Though it's unclear what Michelin has done with the Power series of bike tires. Going by Michelin's bike website, a lot of the previous "Power" series tires aren't shown anymore (Power Endurance, Power Protection, Power All Season, etc)
Old 06-03-22, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
And they’re sew-ups that you glued on yourself.

Only little baby-men run clinchers.
Old 06-03-22, 11:56 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
And they’re sew-ups that you glued on yourself.

Only little baby-men run clinchers.
I always wondered if part of leg-shaving was because the glue for tubulars gets in your leg hair and is a mess to get out.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-03-22, 12:04 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I just retired a Corsa with under 300 miles because of a cut that won't seal completely and started bulging. Upon inspection I found multiple other cuts, although they were holding their shape and air. Too bad, because I really liked the ride quality on them. I don't think I have ever used Conti 5000's but I don't see why they would be much different considering they have the same purpose in mind. I don't ride on gnarly roads, but they're not perfect either. For that reason, I just bought a set of American Classic "armor" Timekeepers to try, and if I don't like them will go back to the trusty Gatorskins because too many flats really take the joy out of riding.
Old 06-03-22, 04:44 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
GP5000 are far more puncture resistant than the Speeds but similar to the normal Corsa G+. Also, a little faster.
I rarely get flats. The GP5K ride slightly faster. The Corsa G+ are slightly more comfortable, and easier to install.
Old 06-03-22, 04:48 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Real men ride 23's pumped up to 140 psi.
I thought real men ride 23 mm tires mounted on 622 x 21C wheels at only 110 PSI so that they cannot be accused of having light bulb shaped tires.
Old 06-03-22, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Good god man! I want faster tires, no smoother tires, but wait, I want to feel all the bumps in the road, but not too much of the bumps! Are you a member of Parliament by any chance? Haha
Haha touche...

I blame my word choice I guess, but really since long before I made this thread - whole years in fact - I've just wanted a zero drag roll.. and in my head feeling the road ... Grundle on under my tyres is part of a sensation of .. surface ignorant speed... I give up lol
Old 06-04-22, 12:02 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
20's

the wimpy guys over 70 rode the 23's ...
Old 06-04-22, 04:45 AM

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
What are some opinions on Pirelli P Zero? TlR or clincher? Some YouTube guys say they like them better then GP5000 for great all around tires.
Old 06-04-22, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
What are some opinions on Pirelli P Zero? TlR or clincher? Some YouTube guys say they like them better then GP5000 for great all around tires.
I would have got them in a heartbeat but they cost double what gp5000s and vittorias do where I live... The specialized ones that are apparently also really good simply aren't here (Japan)
Old 06-04-22, 06:36 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm currently running the TLRs in 28mm - I've posted about them in the Favorite Tubeless Tires thread.

They're certainly in the conversation for the best all-arounders that I've tried and I'd say that it's splitting hairs when it comes to ride characteristics (I don't think they're as supple as the Pro One Evo Addix, but I think they're the most grippy that I've tried in the last few years, tests show that they give up a couple/few watts to some of the others). They installed easily and seated with just a floor pump. I've got about 2k miles on them - the rear is starting to square, but I don't think that it'll have a problem getting to 3k, which is good for a high performance tire for me.

I haven't tried the Conti - the previous TL isn't compatible with my rims and I haven't gotten around to the S TR, yet.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-04-22, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm currently running the TLRs in 28mm - I've posted about them in the Favorite Tubeless Tires thread.

They're certainly in the conversation for the best all-arounders that I've tried and I'd say that it's splitting hairs when it comes to ride characteristics (I don't think they're as supple as the Pro One Evo Addix, but I think they're the most grippy that I've tried in the last few years, tests show that they give up a couple/few watts to some of the others). They installed easily and seated with just a floor pump. I've got about 2k miles on them - the rear is starting to square, but I don't think that it'll have a problem getting to 3k, which is good for a high performance tire for me.

I haven't tried the Conti - the previous TL isn't compatible with my rims and I haven't gotten around to the S TR, yet.
Thanks! Good to know they’re easy to mount. The GP5000 do not go on Bora’s easily at all. I think I’ll give them a try next time after years on Conti.
Old 06-04-22, 08:39 AM

I would have got them in a heartbeat but they cost double what gp5000s and vittorias do where I live... The specialized ones that are apparently also really good simply aren't here (Japan)
https://www.gambacicli.com/en/pirell...ire-36613.html

I found them here for less than the 5000s. Even with shipping to the USA.
Old 06-04-22, 09:55 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Thanks! Good to know they’re easy to mount. The GP5000 do not go on Bora’s easily at all. I think I’ll give them a try next time after years on Conti.
FYI, most, if not all, of the new performance tires that are coming out are ETRTO compliant, so mounting experience should be similar - I've been able to mount them all with just a floor pump. The GP5k TL are not compliant, which is why (I think) the S TR refresh came through relatively quickly.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-05-22, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
FYI, most, if not all, of the new performance tires that are coming out are ETRTO compliant, so mounting experience should be similar - I've been able to mount them all with just a floor pump. The GP5k TL are not compliant, which is why (I think) the S TR refresh came through relatively quickly.
Yeah, the latest GP5000S TR mount very easily. At least on my DT Swiss rims anyway. I believe the previous generation (which I never had) was widely criticised for being difficult to mount.
Old 06-05-22, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I liked them (Race TLR 30 mm version), except for me they punctured too easily and I had to retire both very early in their life (under 500 km I think from memory). I could have just been incredibly unlucky, but I haven't had such issues with other similar tyres. I'm currently using GP5000S TR and they are unscathed after 1400 km on rough roads. Nice feel and solid grip too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-05-22, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I liked them (Race TLR 30 mm version), except for me they punctured too easily and I had to retire both very early in their life (under 500 km I think from memory). I could have just been incredibly unlucky, but I haven't had such issues with other similar tyres. I'm currently using GP5000S TR and they are unscathed after 1400 km on rough roads. Nice feel and solid grip too.
Yeah. Might just stay with GP 5000. I just switched out a pair and no flats 3-5 k miles. And I had an easier time mounting the new ones.
Old 06-06-22, 09:41 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
The difference between the fastest tires and slowest tires is about 12W.
At 25 mph, the difference is closer to 100 watts (combined RR of two wheels). Unless you cruise around slowly all the time, they make a big difference. About as big as aerodynamics.
Old 06-08-22, 01:48 AM

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I love the gp5000 in 23/25/28mm ( what ever is on sale ) if I am trying/wanting to go fast. I can't ride them daily, too many flats tubes or tubeless. I prefer gravel king slicks 32mm for daily solo rides.
Old 06-08-22, 06:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I love the gp5000 in 23/25/28mm ( what ever is on sale ) if I am trying/wanting to go fast. I can't ride them daily, too many flats tubes or tubeless. I prefer gravel king slicks 32mm for daily solo rides.
Is the GK slick more puncture resistant than the GP 5000 ?

and is 23/25/28 mm to 32mm a good direct comparison ? (for your use - answer might be yes almost entirely due to increased size of the GK slick ?)

Have no experience with GP 5000 (but do currently have a pair on the way) - but was not overly impressed with the tread thickness and reports/reviews on the GK slick (and purchased GK SS instead)

Last edited by t2p; 06-08-22 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-08-22, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I replaced both Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 tires because they both had sidewall punctures. Both tires also had lots of tread left. Comfortable tires but weak sidewalls. Never had that problem with Conti 4000s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.