Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

fear and wobble on descents

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

fear and wobble on descents

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 12:43 PM
Dough Mestique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randallissimo
I know 25 - 35mph isn't very fast, so I shouldn't call it a high speed wobble. It's just a wobble. I know about avoiding a death grip and relaxing. I try to position myself back on the saddle. I think my form is actually not that bad. But yet, when it starts to go I get nervous and probably make it worse until I don't feel like I have control and need to slow way down.

My bike is a Lemond carbon Zurich with a Ritchey carbon fork and Shimano wheels with DA hubs.
Lots of variables at work here.

As far as downhill technique, you want some weight on the pedals, some on the seat, some on the bars. In a corner, the outside pedal should be down and you should be leaning on it. Arms should be bent. Flap your elbows from time to time to make sure you stay loose.

Set your front tire pressure 5-10% lower than the rear and consider changing to a different size/brand of tires.

Sing as you go downhill, something upbeat you know well, out loud. It will help you relax into a rhythm and take your mind out of what you're doing. It sounds crazy, but I've been doing it for 20 years and I go downhill like a cannonball.

If a wobble starts, squeeze the top tube between your knees and slow with the rear brake only.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

BL
Old 07-03-09, 05:28 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenji51590
I have this same problem haha i get scared because i just started road cycling but your advice is what im doing.. going slow and increasing slowly too.. but i have a question what are drops and descents lol? Excuse my noob level I'm not yet familiar with the terminology :/
No problem, drops are the round part of the bars. Usually you grip there to have better control and be able to reach the brakes easily. Descents are, well, the part of your ride where you're going downhill. You're descending, you see. Compare to 'ascents' where you're going uphill. All things considered, descents are better.
Old 07-04-09, 12:07 PM
vball for fun / competi

Bikes: Scattante R-330

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
No problem, drops are the round part of the bars. Usually you grip there to have better control and be able to reach the brakes easily. Descents are, well, the part of your ride where you're going downhill. You're descending, you see. Compare to 'ascents' where you're going uphill. All things considered, descents are better.
ohhh i see haha thx this is my second day with my bike so i think im going to learn how to commute then maybe try some descents when i build up more confidence