Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Water bottle that doesn't make water taste like plastic?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Water bottle that doesn't make water taste like plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 09:51 PM

Bikes: red, blue, another red, black

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought 4 of the Soma Crystal bottles and the first one I used is now permanetly stained after one use with a sport drink mix. Also, I didn't have the top torqued down 100% tight and it spit drink all over my bottom bracket.

I ended up really disliking them and gave the remaining 3 away. They look pretty cool though.
Old 09-30-08, 12:45 PM
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ottawa_adam
I use the Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottle as well. I've pretty well stopped using plastic. Not only does it make the water taste gross, I've also developed a lot of chemical sensitivies and exposure to plastics doesn't help.
I just posted a review of the the Klean Kanteen on my blog here if any one is interested: https://austinbikeblog.org/?p=967.

Bottom line: these bottle are good at removing the plastic taste but don't make great bike water bottles.
Old 09-30-08, 12:51 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i like my sigg bottles...i have one i keep at home and for rides and one at work, no funny tastes yet although i should clean it out soon

Old 09-30-08, 12:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Water Bottle of the Immortals.
Cheap and works great! No taste at all, even after several days.
No insulation though.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=31-457
Old 09-30-08, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Breezer Finesse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if they fit cages, but they're cheap:

https://tinyurl.com/4dv8yw
Old 09-30-08, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 2.0, Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have two of the specialized #4 plastic ones, the one that i use every day doesnt make the water taste but the one i dont use much does. its all about how much its used.
Old 09-30-08, 03:29 PM
likes bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have both sigg and kleen kanteen bottles. I like both, but I think the thin aluminum sigg may die soon as it dents really easily. Also, the sigg has an inner coating cuz aluminum may not be good for you either. The sigg is noticeably lighter than the kk (stainless steel), but thats not a big deal to me. so i guess kk bottles are my preference.
Old 09-30-08, 07:40 PM
So Cal North County Rider

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently got the cheapo water bottles from the lbs but i soaked them in baking soda and hot water. works like a charm to get most of that nasty taste out of the bottle.
Old 09-30-08, 07:43 PM
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by starla
Has anyone used one of these? I'm thinking about picking up a couple if they work. After a couple of days, water from my Performance bottles gets icky.
use a metal one
Old 09-30-08, 09:26 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by savethekudzu
The new Gatorade bottles taste fine; they don't fit in all bottle cages, but they do in mine, which is all that matters.
+1 I walk on the wild side.
Old 10-01-08, 01:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of the soma (immortal) bottles. Sometimes when i'm out and about the bottle will get a beating from the SoCal sun for a few hours. The water gets pretty hot but it doesn't taste like plastic, it tastes like water. I have the older bottles were you have to make sure the lid is tightened down good or else water will trickle out when you take a drink. Apparently the newer model lids remedy this as well as provide a rubber cap to make it easier to chew on when you get hungry.
Old 10-01-08, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought the days of buying water bottles were over. There are so many good drink bottles available free from post-use drink bottles. Like Savethekudzu's post advises above, the Gatorade bottles are perfect. For $1.69, you get the bottle and the drink too.

These days, when I am in a gift shop and I see a water bottle with the area name silk-screened on it, I think, "oh man, how many of these things do they have bungled up in inventory?" Kind of like having a Zippo lighter with a company logo on it as a promotional gift. You wonder what dinasaur was responsible for that brilliant idea.

I sure do agree that many/most purchased water bottles DO indeed leave the water tasting like chemical swill. I just switched to the empty retail water/drink product bottles and the problem was solved.
Old 10-01-08, 04:08 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
I just switched to the empty retail water/drink product bottles and the problem was solved.
Me too. 1.5 liter water bottles at 58¢ each, last for at least a couple of months of daily refills with plain or lime flavored tap water. No cleaning routine; rinse and reuse; no after tastes. The scare talk of the "dangers" of reuse of these bottles is just so much urban legend and Internet paranoia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bottle.jpg (43.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-01-08, 06:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasti...D=705&DID=2839

It seams that all misinformation about the safety of reusing plastic bottles came from one study done at the University of Calgary. The conclusion was about bacteria building up in the bottles from not washing or improperly washing the bottles.

There is a ton of info out there, just google reusing plastic bottles. All the information I found said it is safe as long as the bottle is "cleaned" properly with warm soap and water, not just a rinse.
Old 10-01-08, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieButcher
I just recently got the cheapo water bottles from the lbs but i soaked them in baking soda and hot water. works like a charm to get most of that nasty taste out of the bottle.
I just washed mine in the dishwater on "high temperature" setting + "heated dry" twice. The heat exposure bakes out a lot of the plasticizers, so less leaches into the water. My bottles don't smell "plastic" any longer.
Old 10-01-08, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggler2
+1 I walk on the wild side.
Ditto.. we all gotta go sometime.
Old 10-01-08, 11:17 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The bottle my LBS gave me indicates 'Trek' on the bottom and is #4 plastic - LDPE translucent. No taste.
Al
Old 10-01-08, 11:36 AM
Star of the Nursing Home

Bikes: Schwinn, Mirada

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The $6 cage I bought at Wally world will let me strap in just about anything, I’m pretty sure I could take a 2 liter home with it. I just use whatever water bottle I have laying around, I even used a GLASS tea bottle while camping last week! Yes I know that is like running with scissors, but I have been known to do that too…

For those worried about reusing a store bought water bottle, you better be sure and stop and dismount from your bike when you drink. You can’t risk being distracted while riding, that would be dangerous.

Might want to consider giving up your cell phone to, they cause brain cancer.
Old 10-01-08, 11:57 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by seagullplayer
For those worried about reusing a store bought water bottle, you better be sure and stop and dismount from your bike when you drink. You can’t risk being distracted while riding, that would be dangerous Might want to consider giving up your cell phone to, they cause brain cancer.
Not for those who wear a metal colander/tin foil hat and protect their precious bodily fluids by drinking only pure rain water from water bottles fabricated from all natural coconut shells after being filtered through beds of activated charcoal.
Old 10-01-08, 12:05 PM
Star of the Nursing Home

Bikes: Schwinn, Mirada

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not for those who wear a metal colander/tin foil hat and protect their precious bodily fluids by drinking only pure rain water from water bottles fabricated from all natural coconut shells after being filtered through beds of activated charcoal.

My bad, there is an exception to every rule…
Old 10-01-08, 12:13 PM
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBnet3000
i have two of the specialized #4 plastic ones, the one that i use every day doesnt make the water taste but the one i dont use much does. its all about how much its used.
My biggest problem with the Specialized bottles is I've never had one that didn't leek something awful.
Old 10-01-08, 12:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike
I thought the days of buying water bottles were over. There are so many good drink bottles available free from post-use drink bottles. Like Savethekudzu's post advises above, the Gatorade bottles are perfect. For $1.69, you get the bottle and the drink too.

These days, when I am in a gift shop and I see a water bottle with the area name silk-screened on it, I think, "oh man, how many of these things do they have bungled up in inventory?" Kind of like having a Zippo lighter with a company logo on it as a promotional gift. You wonder what dinasaur was responsible for that brilliant idea.

I sure do agree that many/most purchased water bottles DO indeed leave the water tasting like chemical swill. I just switched to the empty retail water/drink product bottles and the problem was solved.
If the FDA won't allow plastic bottles to be recycled and used as plastic drinking bottles a second time, that's good enough for me not to use them more than once. "They" say the plastic leaches harmful chemicals. Do i have proof handy? Nope. Don't need it. A $4 bottle is nothing when it comes to my health. But I work in the packaging graphics design business and I heard it has something to do with the fact that even the cold drinks are "hot-filled" at the plant for shelf stability.

Last edited by d2create; 10-01-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just can't see how water will leach out of throw away bottles,They have a shelf life of a few years,won't it leach then?Or does it only leach when you refill them.If it's leaching stuff,shouldn't it taste funny some some of my other bottles have?Sorry,it doesn't pass the common sense test.

How big are the plastic bottle lobby groups anyway....

FDA,they don't even know where our food come from,let alone what it does to you.If it was up to the FDA,chickens wouldn't have heads and feet,it would be a thigh and breast with no feathers sitting the corner waiting to get big enough too sell.

Last edited by Booger1; 10-01-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 01:33 PM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by starla
Has anyone used one of these? I'm thinking about picking up a couple if they work. After a couple of days, water from my Performance bottles gets icky.
I have 2 and I like them very much as bottles. They fit well in my elite bottle cages and it's true they do not add a plastic taste.

BUT: a word of warning, the tops are fragile! I had one drop the other day and the top shattered! That's bulls**t. These things supposedly made for biking, but if the tops are that fragile that is simply a bad design. I know I can probably just buy a new top for them, but I shouldn't have too.

I'm not happy with them now.
Old 10-01-08, 01:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Booger1
I just can't see how water will leach out of throw away bottles,They have a shelf life of a few years,won't it leach then?Or does it only leach when you refill them.If it's leaching stuff,shouldn't it taste funny some some of my other bottles have?Sorry,it doesn't pass the common sense test.
ok, my curiosity got the better of me.

https://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...tle-study.html
https://www.consumersearch.com/www/ki...water-bottles/
Notice the term "single-use" here
https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...onsumer12.html

And here's the other side saying it's BS.
https://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp
https://www.petresin.org/qa_002.asp
https://www.breakthechain.org/exclusi...erbottles.html

I'd still rather be safe than sorry and spend the $4 on something that doesn't taste like plastic. Using common sense like you said tells me that if I can taste something in my water, that means SOMETHING has to be in there, harmful or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.