Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drivetrains for Big Dummy

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Drivetrains for Big Dummy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 11:29 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surfimp
According to Clever Cycles, yes: https://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web2.68

The bakfiets has a 180lb. load rating for the box up front, and a 70lb. load rating for the rack in back. Combined that's more than an Xtracycle is rated for. Not sure what the Big Dummy rating is, though presumably the same / similar? Not sure if the X's rating is more related to the subframe itself or to the durability of the v-racks / wideloaders / etc.

So theoretically if it works for a bakfiets it ought to work for an Xtracycle / Big Dummy... but then again theory and practice do tend to diverge, often at rather critical junctures

I guess it would depend on whether one planned to routinely carry close to max gross weight or not.

Steve
I thought about this too. I like the idea of an internal hub for a utility bike. However, I really have a hard time plunking $1000+ on just the hub.

According to https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ neither the Shimano Alfine 8 nor the SRAM I-Motion 9 are rated for tandems or cargo. However, I have seen many references -- including the Nexus 8 on the bakfiets -- to these hubs successfully applied to utility cycling applications. For the price, setting up either hub with a double in the front -- according to the hubstripping website, one could pair up the i-Motion 9 with a typical compact crank in the front -- would achieve an excellent gear range for a lot less money.
Old 06-03-08, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
I thought about this too. I like the idea of an internal hub for a utility bike. However, I really have a hard time plunking $1000+ on just the hub.

According to https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ neither the Shimano Alfine 8 nor the SRAM I-Motion 9 are rated for tandems or cargo. However, I have seen many references -- including the Nexus 8 on the bakfiets -- to these hubs successfully applied to utility cycling applications. For the price, setting up either hub with a double in the front -- according to the hubstripping website, one could pair up the i-Motion 9 with a typical compact crank in the front -- would achieve an excellent gear range for a lot less money.
Has anyone ever combined a Nexus 8 in the back with a Schlumpf in front?
Old 06-03-08, 11:46 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Has anyone ever combined a Nexus 8 in the back with a Schlumpf in front?
In the folding bikes section, I have seen this on a Downtube Full Suspension bike.

For the price, would you be better off with just a Rohloff?
Old 06-03-08, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by penexpers
Does anyone know where I can source a NuVinci hub in Europe? I've done some searching over the weekend, but I haven't found anywhere that sells them yet. I don't think there's much point in trying my LBS.
https://www.kinetics.org.uk/
^^^
Ben Cooper is good for having bicycle esoterica. They are not listed on his site, but I've gotten some odd ball stuff from him in the past.
Old 06-03-08, 12:02 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In regards to the Schlumpf with an internal hub in the rear ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...pf#post5988263
Old 06-03-08, 12:43 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may seem a bit redundant, but I would like to second the recommendation of the NuVinci for any cargo bike. I am a huge fan of internally geared hubs in general, and have ridden them on many bikes, and worked on many different hubs over the years. My impression of any of the "normal" geared hubs (Nexus, SRAM, or Sturmey) is that they work beautifully on normal bikes, but are not really durable enough for use with anything that will take a payload of more than 100 lbs. The SRAM hubs seem to be the most durable of them all, but even they can be destroyed by heavy loads, steep hills and agressive riding (it takes a while, but I've done it). The Rohloff, of course, is in a class by itself, and no one has been able to destroy one of them (that the maker knows of). If you can afford it, there is not much to be said against it; the only possible drawback is that it still has discrete shift points, and needs to disengage from one gear and engage the next before continuing to transmit torque - what we've always been used to, in other words. The NuVinci is particularly suited to heavy use like this, since it has no actual gears inside to wear down or lose teeth. The continuous nature of the shifting mechanism means that it is always in gear, and therefore can never be mis shifted. It is also extremely easy to downshift in overloaded situations; any time the pedal is unweighted a bit, the hub can shift, so you get just a bit of shift at every dead spot in your stroke, or a big shift, if you want, if you actually pause intentionally. I've been trying to overload mine, just to see, and so far the hub is much stronger than I am, which is how it should be. Just for reference, I am also using it with two chainrings, and it gives me a range of 20 gear inches to 90 gear inches - enough, in other words. For the price, nothing can touch it. For another perspective on a NuVinci Dummy, see: https://tinyurl.com/4743tl
Old 06-03-08, 01:09 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting ... however, the manufacturer states that the minimum front chainring to rear sprocket ratio should be 2:1 ... i.e., 44/22 or 32/16.

Putzing with Sheldon's calculator, I calculate something like a 25-26 gear inch bottom with that combination and the fattest Big Apples. From touring, I can tell you that will not be low enough for my tired legs.

EDIT: Here is the document.
Old 06-03-08, 01:32 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
invisiblehand: Indeed, according to Fallbrook's recommendation, the lowest gear ratio one can achieve will be a 1:1; that is, 26 gear inches for a 26" wheel, 28 inches (or so) for a 700c, etc. I have the advantage of having been able to question the engineers directly about this. In a face to face meeting, I asked them three times what the reason for this recommendation was, and what the consequences of exceeding these parameters would be. At first they seemed to be implying that they had just chosen those numbers as being the most useful range for most riders (they're new to the bicycle industry, and had no idea of cargo bikes), but when I pressed them, they did say that the hub was "more efficient" within this range. Not once did they mention any durability issues, which I found especially interesting, as every other manufacturer will state explicitly that exceeding the ratio limitations will cause damage to the internal mechanism of the hub. I decided that I could tolerate a bit of inefficiency, if it gave me the gears I needed, so I did not hesitate to ignore the manufacturer's specs. As mentioned, I have also been trying to break it, with no success (yay!). To date, the most extreme load has been a 140 lb log on the back of my 100 lb bike, going up about 110 yards of 11% grade. The hub was fine....my lungs and legs were less happy, but they survived. The experimentation continues.
Old 06-03-08, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on the Nuvinci. How hard is it to remove the wheel for flat repair etc? I am familiar with the Nexus 3 and 7. Seems like a great option, if I could get used to the grip shift.
Old 06-03-08, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cman
Question on the Nuvinci. How hard is it to remove the wheel for flat repair etc? I am familiar with the Nexus 3 and 7. Seems like a great option, if I could get used to the grip shift.
There is a small shifter box you have to un-click, other than that it is the same as removing any bolt on axel.

The grip shift is easy enough.
Old 06-03-08, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Val
The Rohloff, of course, is in a class by itself, and no one has been able to destroy one of them (that the maker knows of).
They have had failures. They have been due to over torquing from using the hub beyond the manufacturer's specs. They have as yet to have one fail due to manufacturer's defects, or one fail in normal use.
Old 06-03-08, 04:24 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allen g: I had not heard of any failures due to overtorqueing Rohloffs; I had been under the impression that it couldn't be done. Do you have details? I'm seriously curious.
Old 06-03-08, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Val
Allen g: I had not heard of any failures due to overtorqueing Rohloffs; I had been under the impression that it couldn't be done. Do you have details? I'm seriously curious.
Val, I've looked and I can't find the specific article I had read. It has happened when combining the Rohloff with the Schlumpf Mountain and High Speed drives. The regular Schlumpf Speed drive is kosher, gives one an 868% gear range to boot.

https://www.rohloff.de/en/info/faq/fa...289/index.html
Old 06-03-08, 06:09 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
invisiblehand: Indeed, according to Fallbrook's recommendation, the lowest gear ratio one can achieve will be a 1:1; that is, 26 gear inches for a 26" wheel, 28 inches (or so) for a 700c, etc. I have the advantage of having been able to question the engineers directly about this. In a face to face meeting, I asked them three times what the reason for this recommendation was, and what the consequences of exceeding these parameters would be. At first they seemed to be implying that they had just chosen those numbers as being the most useful range for most riders (they're new to the bicycle industry, and had no idea of cargo bikes), but when I pressed them, they did say that the hub was "more efficient" within this range. Not once did they mention any durability issues, which I found especially interesting, as every other manufacturer will state explicitly that exceeding the ratio limitations will cause damage to the internal mechanism of the hub. I decided that I could tolerate a bit of inefficiency, if it gave me the gears I needed, so I did not hesitate to ignore the manufacturer's specs. As mentioned, I have also been trying to break it, with no success (yay!). To date, the most extreme load has been a 140 lb log on the back of my 100 lb bike, going up about 110 yards of 11% grade. The hub was fine....my lungs and legs were less happy, but they survived. The experimentation continues.
Hey Val,

Thanks for the details. I am more likely to try the NuVinci.

BTW, I would figure that your head would be close to exploding too, but perhaps you would have passed out before the pressure would have blown the top off carrying a load like that!
Old 06-04-08, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Val,

How much harder to shift under load does the nuvinci get when using the lowest gear?

If you're experimenting with trying to break it, some have speculated about putting a fixed cog on one, for a variable gear, fixed-wheel bike. I haven't read about anyone actually trying though. I guess a fixed gear bike that shifts without gears is a little esoteric.
Old 06-04-08, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy, Brompton M3L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again thanks for everyone's input. This has been a very informative thread.

I've done some more digging and with the way the $ is at the moment, it might be cheaper to import it from the US even if I do end up paying import duty and taxes on it. I have asked staton-inc.com for a quote for shipping and I will also ask in mtnhighcyclery.com.
Old 06-04-08, 09:38 AM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by penexpers
Once again thanks for everyone's input. This has been a very informative thread.

I've done some more digging and with the way the $ is at the moment, it might be cheaper to import it from the US even if I do end up paying import duty and taxes on it. I have asked staton-inc.com for a quote for shipping and I will also ask in mtnhighcyclery.com.
MtnHighCyclery will also make sure all customs papers are in order *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*. Don't forget to ask.
Old 06-04-08, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
So Val,

How much harder to shift under load does the nuvinci get when using the lowest gear?

If you're experimenting with trying to break it, some have speculated about putting a fixed cog on one, for a variable gear, fixed-wheel bike. I haven't read about anyone actually trying though. I guess a fixed gear bike that shifts without gears is a little esoteric.
If you have pressure on the pedals, the NuVinci is not going to shift. Take the pressure off and it shifts easily.

Of the hubs I've had, I prefer the shifting action of Rohloff best, followed very closely by NuVinci. Both shift equally easily.
Old 06-04-08, 12:54 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxwell: What Allen G said - pressure on the pedals equals resistance to shifting. In theory, you could force the mech to shift without internal damage, but derailleur cables and cable binders are only so strong; much better to let it shift easily when the pressure is off. The advantage here is that the pressure does not have to be relieved for long enough to allow engagement of the next gear, as on other hubs. Rather, any pressure relief allows some shifting, so in extreme situations, you can do many "micro shifts", sometimes two or three per pedal stroke, until the ratio is properly adjusted. As for the fixed gear dream, that would be fantastic, but, unfortunately, it is not possible with this version of the hub. The mechanism itself freewheels, and only engages fully when pedalling forward. The reason for the external freewheel is that the mechanism and the seals give enough resistance that the hub would be prone to "ghost pedalling" if the cog were attached directly to the hub driver. The folks at Fallbrook have admitted that a fixed version might be a possibility in the future. As with any major company, they need to be convinced that the market justifies the research and manufacturing expense. And as for big loads, don't try to tell me you don't have a collection of such stories yourself - or is that a different thread?
Old 06-04-08, 01:01 PM
Hired geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And to confirm: the Nuvinci can be shifted while at a dead stop, too? Similar to the Rohloff, Nexus et al.

Despite its weight (which is arguably insignificant on a cargo bike), this may be the go. I'm liking what I'm reading, but one question to Val: in the three times you asked the Nuvinci folks about exceeding their stated limits, did you specifically prompt regarding durability issues? They might very well elide that discussion unless explicitly prompted...

Steve
Old 06-04-08, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by surfimp
And to confirm: the Nuvinci can be shifted while at a dead stop, too? Similar to the Rohloff, Nexus et al.
Yes it can. Turn the knob and it shifts if the bike is in motion or not.

Despite its weight (which is arguably insignificant on a cargo bike), this may be the go. I'm liking what I'm reading, but one question to Val: in the three times you asked the Nuvinci folks about exceeding their stated limits, did you specifically prompt regarding durability issues? They might very well elide that discussion unless explicitly prompted...

Steve
In my experience, I've on several occasions brought home 400 pounds of potting soil and or fertilizer on my Xtracycle. It's 7 miles from the nursery to my home, the largest hill is about a half a mile of 7%-8% grade, and between the electric assist and me standing on the cranks that's a lot of juice going through the hub. It's held up without sign of wear.
Old 06-04-08, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have me thinking Nuvinci now.

What do you think about this for prebuilt wheel?
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=19010
Old 06-04-08, 02:02 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
surfimp: Indeed, since durability was my main concern, my questions were specifically about the consequences of exceeding the ratio recommendations, and whether such an application would lead to failure of the mechanism. They were understandably cagey; they did not state outright that the hub would be strong enough to withstand extreme torque, but they also did not warn me that it would not. It was my frustration with this approach that led me to repeat the question in various formats three times, thus giving them an opportunity to advise me of possible dire results. I also mentioned that I was very interested in putting one on a cargo bike, and they showed no trepidation. They pulled the "efficiency" card to get me off their case, I think. I have also sent pictures of my drive train, with a 22t freewheel and 46/34t chainrings, to one of their customer service reps, and have gotten no adverse comments in response. They have also seen pictures of the setup I put together for Bike Hugger (17t FW, 24/36t CRs), and they were impressed with the bike, but made no comment on the drivetrain. I think that the electric assist (Allen G, is that a StokeMonkey?) will do more to stress a hub than the extra torque from these drivetrains. The hub is solid. Good looking prebuilt, too, cman - hard to beat the price.
Old 06-04-08, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
I think that the electric assist (Allen G, is that a StokeMonkey?) will do more to stress a hub than the extra torque from these drivetrains. The hub is solid. Good looking prebuilt, too, cman - hard to beat the price.
Val, thanks for the response. Interesting that these hubs are being used for other applications. There is a race circuit call Greenpower where several team are using them.
https://www.greenpower.co.uk/about/

Here is one from Team Bentley hooked up to a 24v motor. https://www.bentleygreenpower.com/car/

Old 06-04-08, 04:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
In my experience, I've on several occasions brought home 400 pounds of potting soil and or fertilizer on my Xtracycle. It's 7 miles from the nursery to my home, the largest hill is about a half a mile of 7%-8% grade, and between the electric assist and me standing on the cranks that's a lot of juice going through the hub. It's held up without sign of wear.
This is a regular old xtracycle, not a big dummy? Impressive either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.