Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 09:07 AM
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
It will be something for sure, at the close.

Huffy made sure that most of its parts were not easily replaceable so that it could maintain its status as the least desirable bike in the marketplace...while still selling.
I don't think that this was as true for Huffy as it was for Schwinn. Schwinn saw the other American mass manufacturers as its primary competition and, like the US car manufacturers, didn't recognize the real threat until they found themselves playing catch-up. Schwinn's bikes shared many of the quintessential American designs, but made them subtly different to keep them from being retrofitted to other American bikes. An example was the one-piece, "Ashtabula" cranks that Schwinn made for their own bikes with a different thread than the almost identical ones everyone else used. As I recall, the cups were a slightly different size as well. Most are also familiar with the Schwinn tire sizes which were based on French sizes, rather than the uniquely American sizes (for the most part) that Huffy, Murray, Columbia, Rollfast, etc. were using. With most of these components, Schwinn's were definitely superior as far as mechanics were concerned, whereas Huffy was interchangeable with most other "tire store brands" at the time. In fact, almost all non-Schwinn, US bikes of the 1960s and '70s could be repaired with the same Wald replacement parts.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 04-02-23, 09:51 AM
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

Don't worry, it looks worse in person

This is just ONE side and still doesn't include the tool

EDIT EDIT: Screw that - let me call some bike shops around the area and see if they have the tools and can chase some threads.
I would be very surprised if a sharp BB tap wouldn't clean up that thread just fine, even run in from the outside. The better taps are piloted, so that the two sides are concentric to the same axis, but in reality there is only so much they can do and they still follow the existing thread, for the most part. It would be most expedient to clean this thread up with the adaptors clamped into a frame, just to hold them in place, but it is doubtful that the BB shell is terribly precise and, if the adaptor is removed and reinstalled, without being returned to the exact same position, it will likely be off just a little again. I wouldn't obsess over this, because the same is true of the adaptor if it were brand new and not buggered up, and no one would have thought twice about it. The point is, I don't think it matters what frame the adaptor gets clamped into when the taps are run through it. One of the advantages of cup and cone bearings for bicycle use is that they can tolerate a small amount of misalignment.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 04-02-23, 09:54 AM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Sounds as if a bit of C&V PTSD is beginning to occur. This thread has turned into a "Never Ending Story."

We haven't had a good philosophically questioning post in a while, so thanks for bringing it up.

I'm okay with never ending story. It reminds me of a thread in some other forum I was on for awhile, can't remember which, and can't remember the exact name of the thread, but it was titled something like 'Post in This Thread Just Because'...was completely pointless other than serving the purpose of getting your post count up, and had no ryhme or reason, but I think last I remember it was up to like 43,000 posts haha.

The romance
and roasting of Huffy should never end. The bike will obviously have an end, its all gonna burn one day anyway, but it is probably going to go on to at least year 2340. So we've got some time...I mean, the tubes are thick enough. I'll have to write a note to posterity about the origins, intent, and curation of the Huffy once I am long gone. I'll roll it up and stick it in the seat tube and plug with wax and wait for someone to find it like the dead sea scrolls.

Will there ever be a conclusion--- especially a satisfying one?

Probably not for those whose minds they don't want changing. It probably won't be satisfying for those who grew up looking in the window at all that Campy gear in the glass case, who are affronted by the fact that its all going onto the bike they couldn't wait to get rid of. I don't personally have the old school connection - it was a little before my time, I didn't grow up riding road bikes. I only got into this a few years ago, so I don't have the rigidity of that style of doctrine cemented in. I'm here to provide a different perspective, and the sincerity lies in the fact that I had nothing except vibes of disdain toward Huffy before this thread started, just like everyone else. I definitely didn't start up with a bias toward the bike. But it's all good either way Life is short and if that space brings contentment for them, then I'm for it. I said it at the beginning, and I still mean it. Let's hear it all - good, bad, etc. If you don't like it, you are welcome to say anything you like. Doesn't mean I won't parody it - but still, space for all, ya know.

Plus, I know there are some on the edge. Some that have only repeated what they've been told..."Huffy is bad"..."Huffy is junk"...but they question it...quietly. They wonder. This thread is an open space for those that are questioning, those that want to believe. This thread is freedom.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-02-23 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-02-23, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have been hanging on to these tee-shirts for quite a while waiting for the special occasion to wear them. Perhaps it is now that time. Smiles, MH

Original artwork from back in the 1980's

And in black and blue, which is what I some times feel like when working on department store bikes
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-02-23, 10:01 AM
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
This bike should be ridden once, then sent straight to the Smithsonian…
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-02-23, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by P.L.Jensen
Nah. It needs to go to an Eroica first.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-02-23, 11:02 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
...or 'Cino first and 'Eroica second.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 04-02-23, 01:24 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

We've been joking around about this project in the house today. First, we've been repainting the inside of the house, and with a big bare wall in the living room, I suggested a bicycle would look good right above the couch. But then I told the wife I didn't really have one that looked good (concours) enough to display...

wife: well, what about the Huffy?

me: Ooooooh!! I didn't even think of that

wife: actually, wouldn't that tear the wall off?

Then the family suggested I should start a non-profit organization and call it No Bike Left Behind.

Got some good folks under this roof.
Old 04-02-23, 02:04 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
We've been joking around about this project in the house today. First, we've been repainting the inside of the house, and with a big bare wall in the living room, I suggested a bicycle would look good right above the couch. But then I told the wife I didn't really have one that looked good (concours) enough to display...

wife: well, what about the Huffy?

me: Ooooooh!! I didn't even think of that

wife: actually, wouldn't that tear the wall off?

Then the family suggested I should start a non-profit organization and call it No Bike Left Behind.

Got some good folks under this roof.
Does your wife have a single sister or cousin with those cool genes???

I think that is awesome that the fam supports you on all of this fun.

i wouldn’t have ever thought of doing this and hope to aid and abet the process down the rabbit hole.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-02-23, 02:23 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
I don't think that this was as true for Huffy as it was for Schwinn. Schwinn saw the other American mass manufacturers as its primary competition and, like the US car manufacturers, didn't recognize the real threat until they found themselves playing catch-up. Schwinn's bikes shared many of the quintessential American designs, but made them subtly different to keep them from being retrofitted to other American bikes. An example was the one-piece, "Ashtabula" cranks that Schwinn made for their own bikes with a different thread than the almost identical ones everyone else used. As I recall, the cups were a slightly different size as well. Most are also familiar with the Schwinn tire sizes which were based on French sizes, rather than the uniquely American sizes (for the most part) that Huffy, Murray, Columbia, Rollfast, etc. were using. With most of these components, Schwinn's were definitely superior as far as mechanics were concerned, whereas Huffy was interchangeable with most other "tire store brands" at the time. In fact, almost all non-Schwinn, US bikes of the 1960s and '70s could be repaired with the same Wald replacement parts.
Schwinn and their proprietary tire sizes could have been to increase sales of it's tires, but was also an assurance that only tires of a certain quality standard would be fitted.

And their 28TPI crank threading was superior to the competition's 24TPI threading, because it made for greater resolution i.e. adjustment accuracy.
It also was better at resisting loosening, and I've noticed that all of Schwinn's fitting were of much higher quality than found on other brands having Ashtabula cranks.

The bottom bracket shell ID and width on Schwinns was the same as Huffy or Murray or even Japanese Vista for that matter. I believe Schwinn's head tube ID on the Supersport and other Fillet-brazed models at was proprietary, as was the seat tube diameter (but which was a standard size for chrome-moly tubing outside of the bike industry).

Huffy and Schwinn's "gas-pipe" models use different seatpost diameters for some reason as I recall, and the super-narrow post top was I believe exclusive to Schwinn.

Schwinn wasn't the only maker to offer welded-on kickstand housings, but theirs definitely stood above others in terms of quality and function.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-02-23, 04:25 PM
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by P.L.Jensen
Correction: This bike should be ridden once, directly to the Smithsonian, where a new wing is currently being built specifically for this, out of gas-pipe covered with vintage Campy catalogs…

Last edited by P.L.Jensen; 04-02-23 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-02-23, 07:17 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Well I'm having nightmares about the bike I have now...so I can share in that drama
Remember you have a Paramount in the wings with a crack that will keep the PTSD rolling along

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-02-23, 11:11 PM
The Huffmeister

i wouldn’t have ever thought of doing this and hope to aid and abet the process down the rabbit hole.
We need all the aiding, abetting, conspiring, and colluding we can get. Glad to have you on the team.
Old 04-02-23, 11:13 PM
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by cudak888
Remember you have a Paramount in the wings with a crack that will keep the PTSD rolling along

-Kurt
That's the one I'm talking about. The Le Grande provides sweet dreams of happiness and bliss!
Old 04-03-23, 06:36 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
When the Paramount is allowed to enter the fix and build pipeline--- I double dog dare you---
  1. to install steel brake calipers and levers
  2. Varsity steel bars and stem
  3. Varsity bladed fork
  4. Huret Alvit derailleurs
  5. Schwinn Varsity/Continental/Super Sports steel stem shifters (we've actually witnessed this in the past)
  6. steel seat post with a Schwinn "S" two-tone saddle from a Collegiate, Speedster, etc.
  7. Varsity/Continental steel rimed 27" wheels, and--- wait for it---
  8. a custom-built BB adaptor to allow use of the Schwinn Ashtabula one-piece cranks
Now that would be something to see.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 04-03-23, 10:45 AM

1. a custom-built BB adaptor to allow use of the Schwinn Ashtabula one-piece cranks
It would indeed. The adapter would likely need to be 55+mm in OD (probably more) in order to seat the cups from an Ashtabula crank (51.5mm cup OD).

But I think the real trick would be finding an Ashtabula crank with enough threading to allow the locknut to hold after installation. That might have to be a custom job too. And I suspect the Q-factor would be . . . a bit larger than most, too.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-03-23, 11:15 AM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
If the bike ends up under 30 pounds I’d think it a satisfying conclusion.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-03-23, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
If the bike ends up under 30 pounds I’d think it a satisfying conclusion.
Since the frame and fork weighs "only" around 8 1/2 lbs, I think around 25lb may not be out of the question with a decent alloy seatpost, lightweight saddle, stem, handlebars, and wheels - though I could easily be wrong. But I think much below that will be difficult.
Old 04-03-23, 03:13 PM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I have been hanging on to these tee-shirts for quite a while waiting for the special occasion to wear them. Perhaps it is now that time. Smiles, MH
Some of us have actually been to the mountain.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-03-23, 05:57 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Since the frame and fork weighs "only" around 8 1/2 lbs, I think around 25lb may not be out of the question with a decent alloy seatpost, lightweight saddle, stem, handlebars, and wheels - though I could easily be wrong. But I think much below that will be difficult.
I am actually thinking between 23-24 pounds! No brake cables needed!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-03-23, 06:04 PM

I understand it's shakedown ride will start at the summit of Wolf Creek Pass. You volunteering to be the "test pilot"?
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-03-23, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Honk

Original artwork from back in the 1980's

And in black and blue, which is what I some times feel like when working on department store bikes
WALD? Didn't the late Harry Chapin write a song about them?
Old 04-03-23, 06:22 PM
Edumacator

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I understand it's shakedown ride will start at the summit of Wolf Creek Pass. You volunteering to be the "test pilot"?
Brake cables it is! I forget it’s Colorado we are talking about...

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-03-23, 09:10 PM
The Huffmeister

When the Paramount is allowed to enter the fix and build pipeline--- I double dog dare you---
  1. to install steel brake calipers and levers
  2. Varsity steel bars and stem
  3. Varsity bladed fork
  4. Huret Alvit derailleurs
  5. Schwinn Varsity/Continental/Super Sports steel stem shifters (we've actually witnessed this in the past)
  6. steel seat post with a Schwinn "S" two-tone saddle from a Collegiate, Speedster, etc.
  7. Varsity/Continental steel rimed 27" wheels, and--- wait for it---
  8. a custom-built BB adaptor to allow use of the Schwinn Ashtabula one-piece cranks
No dare even necessary. I'd be thrilled to oblige
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-03-23, 09:19 PM
The Huffmeister

Sub 23. Not sure how we are going to do it, but we will. I don't know if we can get there for the June 3/4 event, but in its final form, yes. I will be excited to see what we weigh in at in a couple months.

2 months to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.