Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waiting at bottom of hill

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Waiting at bottom of hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 02:31 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked 3,642 Times in 1,826 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
People toss perfectly good, but scuffed, helmets in dumpsters for no reason. The odds that it was tossed in the dumpster because it was involved in a collision are practically zero. /s
My General Manager insisted that any "lightly scuffed" helmet got broken in two before being tossed in the dumpster. To the chagrin of a few dumpster divers.

Old 04-21-23, 02:55 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
My General Manager insisted that any "lightly scuffed" helmet got broken in two before being tossed in the dumpster. To the chagrin of a few dumpster divers.
I cut the straps of my used helmets before disposal for just that reason.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-21-23, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8326 Post(s)
Liked 9,137 Times in 4,515 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"I was doing a Zone 1 recovery ride, and some old guy on an ancient Schwinn passed me, wearing a T-shirt and gym shorts. He wasn't wearing a helmet and looked unvaccinated. Poor bastard was all bunched up, like he was riding a kids bike. It seemed awfully important to him to pass me. But you gotta give it to him for being out there still riding. I hope I'm still riding at his age. But, you know, on a bike that actually fits."
On a hot day I was finishing a century with friends who were riding their tandem. We were whipped and just crawling the last couple miles when a guy on some old beater bike roars up alongside us on the sidewalk. He snarled at us and hammered ahead with his driveside crank banging against his chainguard. We tried to ignore him but he wouldn't go away. He hung around taunting us until he got bored, I guess, and turned off.
Old 04-23-23, 12:38 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
On my trips from my parents house in the Los Angeles area to university in northern California I would stop in San Franisco and then ride my bike up the hills and "race" the trolley cars. I got a lot of enjoyment in beating the trolley cars up the steep hills.
Old 04-23-23, 01:00 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Me on the Huffy in the TT last year, 19.5mph average. They would not let me ride without a helmet. I am going to take it out for a spin right now and see how fast it feels like going today, the wind is calm and it is supposed to get up into the low 60s. I will get slower every year now until I kick the bucket, but this year I am going to throw some longer cranks on( it had 165mm for the tt last year), and I have some Continental UltraSportIII tires to try too, so maybe I can not lose too much speed. Notice how the rear rim is distorted under the brutal torque of 175 watts.

Wow, that's me on my first road bike in 1963. That was a full-Campy Legnano though and I had rat traps and toe clips, tightened right down over my tennis shoes, which had grooves worn in the soles from those rat traps. I hope your bike has a leather saddle for authenticity. You need those toe clips! Can't Really Ride without 'em. Back then, no one wore a helmet, not even the folks who rode track bikes in NYC - or maybe especially not.

My bike had color-coordinated bar tape and down-tube shifters instead of those genital-rippers, and had covers on its center-pull brake hoods. Looks like you might have half-step gearing like I had.
Old 04-23-23, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Was he riding a beach cruiser?
There are very few places I could stop for 3 minutes and expect some random road cyclist to show up.

I've passed numerous MTBs on hills. In some cases, I hit the top, down the other side, and up the next hill before the MTB gets to the top. It is hard to call it much of a competition.
Old 04-24-23, 08:05 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Wow, that's me on my first road bike in 1963. That was a full-Campy Legnano though and I had rat traps and toe clips, tightened right down over my tennis shoes, which had grooves worn in the soles from those rat traps. I hope your bike has a leather saddle for authenticity. You need those toe clips! Can't Really Ride without 'em. Back then, no one wore a helmet, not even the folks who rode track bikes in NYC - or maybe especially not.

My bike had color-coordinated bar tape and down-tube shifters instead of those genital-rippers, and had covers on its center-pull brake hoods. Looks like you might have half-step gearing like I had.
This bike had a metal "Persons" saddle when it was new and it still has it, covered by a little foam and vinyl. Leather saddles were never put on any low-end bikes. And it is proven through research that foot retention gives no advantage, unless you are so used to pedaling with foot retention that you have lost the coordination and muscle memory to keep your feet on the pedals without it......
Old 04-24-23, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,425 Times in 2,986 Posts
And it is proven through research that foot retention gives no advantage, unless you are so used to pedaling with foot retention that you have lost the coordination and muscle memory to keep your feet on the pedals without it......
How did all those pro cyclists lose their coordination and muscle memory?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-24-23, 09:23 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,396 Posts
This bike had a metal "Persons" saddle when it was new and it still has it, covered by a little foam and vinyl. Leather saddles were never put on any low-end bikes. And it is proven through research that foot retention gives no advantage, unless you are so used to pedaling with foot retention that you have lost the coordination and muscle memory to keep your feet on the pedals without it......
(shakes head) I've been riding bikes since I was 6, rode to school in the 1st grade. Grew up in Fairbanks, would go on a 60 mile ride on my 3-speed JC Higgins when I was I guess 13. No foot retention, nope.

My freshman year in college, this wealthy kid down the hall wanted to sell his bike. They were all wealthy kids down the hall where I went It seemed like everyone in my hall except me had two 800s. Anyway, I bought it for $150 and finally had a real bike, a TDF level machine. It came with foot retention. The very first time I ever rode it, it was a revelation. I was turbine powered! It felt like I could do a power wheelie. Couldn't quite, but if there was a little pavement irregularity, I could get the front wheel off the ground just accelerating. Of course I was an experienced rider, already knew how to pedal and had strong legs from riding and skiing. That probably made a difference.

All that said, it did take me a long time to learn to pedal at what seemed to me to be a stupidly high cadence. But ya know . .. there might be a reason that I've never seen a bike on a group ride without foot retention. It's not fashion, nope.
Old 04-24-23, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yesterday on my way to work I waited at the bottom of the ~3 minute climb because I wanted a rabbit to chase. Just no fun at all otherwise and I wasn’t in a hurry. Sure enough someone showed up and we raced up the hill, but later I felt kind of obnoxious for waiting for him and then passing.

How would you feel if this happened to you?
Cool story, bro.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 04-24-23, 12:21 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How did all those pro cyclists lose their coordination and muscle memory?
It was the soigneur's fault; what, you did not know that muscles can lose their memories from improper massages!?