Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Yep no holes, no tape. I bought the LB pads but I might go with Swissstop. Wasn’t sure how LB handled that. Lots of wheel manufacturers want you to use their pad only.
This whole hole-less rim thingy is interesting to me. Is the benefit of this to save weight by not having to have a tubeless rim strip? I've got to wonder which weighs less... a hole-less rim or a holed-rim with tubeless tape (the holes would save weight 'cause holes are super light ). If the weight turns out to be about the same, I guess I'd opt for holes just to avoid the difficulty of working on the wheel (should that ever need to happen, which it may not.)
Old 06-03-20, 01:59 AM

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
My Current Situation...

I ordered a set of AR46 rims with CX-Ray spokes and a 28H set of DT350 on the 6th of May.

I followed up 2 weeks ago - they advised another 8-10 business days to finish the wheels. The rims were currently in being sanded back.

I followed up today (At no point have they actually sent me an update, always initiated by myself). 2 things came up

- 1. The wheels were not yet built. They are waiting on the DT 350 hubs that were not in stock, and have since had Covid Related delays. Expected time to delivery to LB is mid June, and another 3 days-ish to build.
- 2. EMS are no longer doing non-priority mail outs from China as we're now aware of. Supposedly this is under chinese government direction. I was given the option of waiting it out or splitting the additional cost of FedEx (8-10 days postage). the cost was $118 USD (an additional $59 USD out of pocket for myself)

1 was a surprise to me, i thought that the wheel would be built by now - but in retrospect i can see how they would be restricted by the same sorts of logistics issues we're seeing the world over.
2 i expected, so i wasn't really that fussed when given the option. I'd rather spend the little bit extra (when you compare to the total cost of wheelset build) then wait indefinately for China EMS to resume services.

Regardless, i was a little bit miffed. To LB's credit (Koko is great, definately doing the best she can under the circumstances) they offered free tape and valves. I don't plan to go tubeless so they threw in 2 tapes instead.
Old 06-03-20, 06:14 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
High all.. you've probably seen, but just came across this tire inflation chart on LB's site. What caught my eye was the relatively huge difference in difficulty there seems to be in mounting a 25mm vs a 28mm tire on their rims. Just thought interesting; I wouldn't have thought there'd be this much impact in one tire size.
Attached Files
Old 06-03-20, 06:51 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Is the benefit of this to save weight by not having to have a tubeless rim strip?
The benefit is to not have to mess with rim tape. Weight difference is negligible.
Old 06-03-20, 07:05 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
High all.. you've probably seen, but just came across this tire inflation chart on LB's site. What caught my eye was the relatively huge difference in difficulty there seems to be in mounting a 25mm vs a 28mm tire on their rims. Just thought interesting; I wouldn't have thought there'd be this much impact in one tire size.
Interesting, I never had issues with 25mm or 28mm GP5000s when I had my AR46s. They went on very smoothly with just my hands, never used a lever.
Old 06-03-20, 08:26 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Interesting, I never had issues with 25mm or 28mm GP5000s when I had my AR46s. They went on very smoothly with just my hands, never used a lever.
FWIW, they don't spell out exactly whether they're mounting TL or w/Tube model of tire though.
Old 06-03-20, 08:43 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
FWIW, they don't spell out exactly whether they're mounting TL or w/Tube model of tire though.
True, I'm using clinchers, everything I've read about GP5K TLs is that they're a bear to get on.
Old 06-03-20, 11:14 AM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
FWIW, I struggled to mount both Veloflex Masters and S-Works Turbo tires (neither of which is tubeless) on the LB AR36 rims. In fact, ripped the skin off left thumb while trying to mount the former and destroyed a tube trying to mount the latter.

Never had this issue with tires before (Turbo Cottons mounted like butter on CLX64s and no problems installing latex tubes on them).
Old 06-03-20, 11:25 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by guadzilla
FWIW, I struggled to mount both Veloflex Masters and S-Works Turbo tires (neither of which is tubeless) on the LB AR36 rims. In fact, ripped the skin off left thumb while trying to mount the former and destroyed a tube trying to mount the latter.

Never had this issue with tires before (Turbo Cottons mounted like butter on CLX64s and no problems installing latex tubes on them).
What width were the tires? Pretty universally it looks like 25s are good amount harder to install than 28s.
Old 06-03-20, 12:29 PM

What width were the tires? Pretty universally it looks like 25s are good amount harder to install than 28s.
If the inner diameter of the tire bead is considerably smaller than the outer diameter of the rim, tire width won't matter much in the difficultly of installing. There's likely manufacturer variances in both the rims and tires explaining why some find the installation 'easy' why other not-so-much.
Old 06-03-20, 12:46 PM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
25c for the Veloflex Masters and 26c for the S-Works Turbo (the latter measure approx 27.xx on the 28mm OD rims).

Wonder why the 25s are harder to mount - wider rim?
Old 06-03-20, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by maartendc
I was wondering: How do you even build a wheel with no spoke holes to feed the nipples from the other side? How do you get the spoke nipple inside of the rim, since the bottom part is wider than the hole by design?
Light Bicycle has a spiffy video showing exactly how this is done. The guy in the video makes it look easier than I thought it'd be. Now I'm really thinking maybe "hole-less" is the way to go...

Old 06-03-20, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Light Bicycle has a spiffy video showing exactly how this is done. The guy in the video makes it look easier than I thought it'd be. Now I'm really thinking maybe "hole-less" is the way to go...
If you aren't building the wheelset, there's no reason not to go hole-less. It's a PITA to build a wheelset that way, but replacing a spoke is no big deal. Most spokes break at the opposite end, so sometimes you can reuse the nipple.
Old 06-16-20, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Sooo, my wheels have arrived.
But, despite them sending me pics of them being shipped with valve, rim tape and spare spokes, they arrived without rim tape.
So, another day to wait until i can mount them. Then pics will follow
Old 06-16-20, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by holybinch
Sooo, my wheels have arrived.
But, despite them sending me pics of them being shipped with valve, rim tape and spare spokes, they arrived without rim tape.
So, another day to wait until i can mount them. Then pics will follow
they did you a favor by forgetting the tape. Their tape is worthless.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-16-20, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Good to hear!
Still, after nearly 2 months, what's another day, eh.
Old 06-16-20, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Good to know! (And kind of what I figured). I just placed an order for a set of WR50 wheels yesterday and went with the "hole-less" option per the suggestion here, thus avoiding the whole rim tape issue.

For those considering ordering LB wheels, here are somethings I learned...
  • The relatively new DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs won't be available in the North American warehouse for several months according to the sales person (despite the LB web site saying July). As such, I had to order from their Global Warehouse which lead to crazy shipping costs...
  • FedEx shipping is really expensive... almost $200 to me in Wisconsin, but is the only option right now if you want your wheels in reasonable time. There's a slow-boat-from-China option (literally) that is super cheap, but that's 3 to 5 weeks estimated delivery time in addition to however long it takes to build the wheels. For me, that wasn't an option as it'd almost be Winter again before I got the wheels!
  • They do have colored spoke nipples when using the "Global Warehouse" option even though the web site only shows black or red.
  • Your order will be subject to a 3% PayPal fee. So beware that in addition to the cost of the wheels, you have the high shipping fee and PayPal fees... making the wheels slightly less of a bargain at this time.
I got an email the next day asking about what I wanted the "declared value" for the wheels to be for shipping documentation. Will I be paying some kind of import fee on the wheels? I've ordered several things from international sellers and never had to pay any import fees or taxes (yet)... I'm hoping these wheels don't get even more expensive.
Old 06-16-20, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Good to hear!
I had an inconvenient situation, ordering my wheels at the end of January from the Global Warehouse, right before Covid-19 shut everything down. Every delay imaginable happened. I was finally able to pick them up last week, after FedEx released them to a local office. I'm happy that I finally got them, but damn. Over 4.5 months?
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 06-17-20, 02:47 PM

Good to hear!
Lo and behold...

Royal pain in the cones to seat the tyres.
Also, clearance on the front break is dubious with 25s when my zonda had no issue whatsoever.
But they do look good if I dare say so myself.
Old 06-20-20, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I'm looking at the AR46 with DT350s from the US warehouse. With covid and all, are they stocking parts in the US to deliver these in a timely manner?
Old 06-22-20, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wheels finally at home and mounted in my bike! They look really awesome. They are AR56 with Conti GP5000 28mm front and rear.

Can't wait for doing a long ride this weekend if the weather is nice with me...

Likes For balles3188:
Old 06-22-20, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by balles3188
Nice lookin' bike! I kind of hope the weather is only half nice so you can tell us how well those wheels handle in cross-winds
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 06-22-20, 05:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Nice lookin' bike! I kind of hope the weather is only half nice so you can tell us how well those wheels handle in cross-winds
A few of us have tried these wheels and the crosswind management is really not a big deal. I personally don’t feel as comfortable riding with no hands over 20mph anymore, but besides that it’s fine.
Old 06-23-20, 12:03 AM

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Had confirmation today that lb global had recieved a shipment of DT hubs they were waiting on and my wheels are in the process of being built
Old 06-23-20, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by balles3188
Wheels finally at home and mounted in my bike! They look really awesome. They are AR56 with Conti GP5000 28mm front and rear.

sweet stealthy ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.