Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000s tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000s tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 09:45 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'd imagine it's because they're still relatively new and aren't seeing really wide distribution (at least I haven't seen them much).
indeed, though online findable (CC, Biketiresdirect, PBK). this new 5000 Conti actually seems to have been mentioned more than the Pirelli, and I assume its availability is much worse at the moment
Old 11-11-18, 02:20 AM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
RRP for the 4000s2 is $74, and they can be had for less than half that online. I'm sure the 5ks will come down similarly eventually.

Does this mean the 4000 will stop being made? Should I stock up, in case the 5000 doesn't drop? Or just try out some Michelin Pro4s when the s2's I've just ordered wear out?
Old 11-11-18, 02:20 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I saw that the other day. Looks right up my alley, but honestly for less than the price of one tire I can get a set of gp4000s, which I KNOW I like.

Been thinking about making the switch to tubeless more out of curiosity than anything though, so who knows. I'll be looking for a wheelset and a set of tires come spring.

Also...on a more general theme, I find it ridiculous that good bike tires cost nearly as much as car tires
1. the gp4000s ii will be discontinued, it already has been out of production for several months. So if you want them, better buy them now.

2. good car tires are $280 per tire. if not more than.
Old 11-11-18, 02:30 AM

something that hasn't been mentioned yet, the GP5000 is true tubeless not just tubeless ready.

so if you have a good seal, no need for sealant unless you puncture a lot. Since my road bike has seen 2 flats in 6years. I think I'll invest and run them dry.
Old 11-11-18, 02:39 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
no need for sealant
What, this is actually a thing? Now I'm getting interested...
Old 11-11-18, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kimmo
What, this is actually a thing? Now I'm getting interested...
all depends on your tire to wheel seal. Continental still suggest sealant, the tire itself is completely sealed though.
Old 11-11-18, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Who cares about the cost per pound? Would you be happier if your bike tires weighed 5 times more for the same price?

My most expensive car tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL; $419 ea) cost about ten times as much as my most expensive bike tires (Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless; $43 ea).

I'm totally with Abe on this. Good bike tires are way overpriced.

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-11-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I was being snarky....shameful
Old 11-11-18, 09:48 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Good bike tires are way overpriced.
It's obvious that many disagree, just by virtue of the sustained pricing.

I see two aspects: based on inexpert eyeballing of the amount of material and composition, it's easy to think that they're over-priced. Based on the perceived ride quality benefits, though, many grudgingly accept that there's enough value to justify the purchase.
Old 11-11-18, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
$94 for a road tire? bs.
all these performance claims, and you'll still be dropped by the guys who drop you regularly.
One small nail or a glass slash and bye bye expensive tubeless tire.
Old 11-11-18, 12:00 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts
I'm needing tires soon. I'll stick with 4000sII's this time around, and hopefully they'll be down enough next time to hit my price point.
Old 11-11-18, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

I see two aspects: based on inexpert eyeballing of the amount of material and composition, it's easy to think that they're over-priced. Based on the perceived ride quality benefits, though, many grudgingly accept that there's enough value to justify the purchase.
Agreed. They ARE worth the price. This is really a failure of capitalism. Quality bike tires should be considered a 'public good'
Old 11-11-18, 12:41 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I don't understand why it is, because where I ride, everything gets thrown out the window, but I have had no punctures in the three years I've been riding this particular set of roads. I ride UltraSports, at $14 shipped. I'm also old, and not much performance-oriented. I do enjoy a comfortable ride though, and these provide it.

Old 11-11-18, 01:18 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Ugh, this is simultaneously exciting and awful. Exciting because I'm a sucker for trying out new tires. Awful because I really don't need an excuse to spend way too much money on bike stuff.

It certainly does make trying tubeless a bit more tempting.
Old 11-11-18, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

You really believe you can feel the difference without looking, unless you compare to gator skins? Did anyone ever try a blind test?
Old 11-11-18, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You really believe you can feel the difference without looking, unless you compare to gator skins? Did anyone ever try a blind test?
Riding a bicycle blindfolded seems like a bad idea.
Old 11-11-18, 06:52 PM
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Has anyone tried the attack/ force combo tires from cont

Man 94.95 for one tire is a slap on the face . they should be working towards a realistic price not a luxury tire for race day only . the gp4000 are work horses they drive cycling forward . this tire is a step backwards . they should have just made the gp4000 tubeless.

Im sad now , this tires price is outrageous maybe in a few years i can justify a 60 dollar tire but for now i bet you the 4000 will outsell the 5000s and conti will be scratching their heads and blank staring at their investors .

And woah hold up , they are going to stop making one of the most popular affordable and tested tire on the market and replace it with new tech most people wont even get to try for years . what in the hell are these people thinking . they have a good thing and want ruin it for spiffy new rubber thats unproven.

I t2jink we need a petition conti to force them to keep making the tire, at lease trickle down the design and merge it with the ultra sport . all the crappy things in the word going on even my damn tires are not safe from greedy idiots.

im sure in a few years they will make tires a service and pit microtransactions in the tread .

Last edited by Teamprovicycle; 11-11-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 07:03 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Who knows.. maybe Conti will do what Michelin did. Michelin introduced the Power line of tires, ostensibly to replace the Pro4 line. That was a couple years ago and Pro4s still seem to be sold new at many many retailers. I guess they figured out market price segmentation works.
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...n-power-tires/
Old 11-11-18, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Agreed. They ARE worth the price. This is really a failure of capitalism. Quality bike tires should be considered a 'public good'
capitalism also sells you $15 CST tires, go buy some of them if you can't afford the good stuff.

It's not like all tires are $94, just these tires.
Old 11-11-18, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
not those but the Continental TT tires are screaming fast! just don't expect any real mileage out of them. They are thin!
Old 11-11-18, 09:44 PM

Yes.

Man 94.95 for one tire is a slap on the face . they should be working towards a realistic price not a luxury tire for race day only . the gp4000 are work horses they drive cycling forward . this tire is a step backwards . they should have just made the gp4000 tubeless.

Im sad now , this tires price is outrageous maybe in a few years i can justify a 60 dollar tire but for now i bet you the 4000 will outsell the 5000s and conti will be scratching their heads and blank staring at their investors .

And woah hold up , they are going to stop making one of the most popular affordable and tested tire on the market [/snip]...
You do realize that the GP4000S II is a $74.99 retail tire? You do know that there's usually quite a difference between retail and street/online price, as seen with your "work horse," "affordable" tire, right?
Old 11-11-18, 09:57 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
All the Conti supporters better hope they never ditch their RRP pricing in favor of a MAP scheme, as most mfrs. have in the past few years. Ritchey says a handlebar is $94.95, and everywhere you look it up online, it's $94.95-- whether it's eBay, Amazon, or the online retailer of your choice. Thomson and many, many others do the same.

While you're at it, either stock up right now, or hope that the big warehouse sellers like Planet Cyclery have pallets of them, because I hate to tell ya, but:

Grand Prix 4000 S II
The best all-rounder

the ideal combination of comfort, puncture protection and low rolling resistance
perfect all-rounder for all conceivable conditions
excellent puncture protection thanks to Vectran™ puncture protection insert
excellent grip, high mileage and efficient rolling thanks to BlackChili Compound

This modell is discontinued. Find the successor here.

Their copy and spelling, btw.
Old 11-11-18, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't get all the price angst. GP4000S II have been available at at least 40% off since forever, I don't see why the GP5000S or TL will be any different.
Old 11-12-18, 07:27 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
I don't get all the price angst. GP4000S II have been available at at least 40% off since forever, I don't see why the GP5000S or TL will be any different.
The entire industry is moving to MAP models from RRP. Also market-exclusive-pricing, to prevent imports.

We could also talk tariffs. Tires (and elements needed to make them) are being hit with a 10% ding: https://www.moderntiredealer.com/new...d-affect-tires
Old 11-12-18, 07:32 AM

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
One small nail or a glass slash and bye bye expensive tubeless tire.
Bye, bye
tubeless expensive tire
checked the level that it needed
but the sealant was dry
it blew off the rim
on a spirited ride
I said:
this will be the day that I die
this will be the day that I die.

Cheesy, I know.
I actually would like to try them (the new Contis).
Old 11-12-18, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil

Bye, bye
tubeless expensive tire
checked the level that it needed
but the sealant was dry
it blew off the rim
on a spirited ride
I said:
this will be the day that I die
this will be the day that I die.

Cheesy, I know.
I actually would like to try them (the new Contis).
haha thanks for the cheesy monday laugh!
In a stroke of coincidence, a day later, on a spirited ride, one of the guys in our group, a big guy, who was running tubeless got a small screw going thru the middle of his tire. The hole left was an 1/8" jagged hole, and tire wouldn't seal (jagged holes are impossible to seal). I had to give him a boot and a tube and it was a little PITA helping him put in that tube.
Good luck with trying them though. I've had mixed success with tubeless. They work ok (not great) when they work, but at the end of the day, their "cost of use" is just too great (because it's rare than anyone can fully use a tubeless tire to its fullest tread life, thus in essence driving the usage cost up). They are certainly not supple tires when compared to the best Vittoria or Veloflex with latex tubes. The main strength of tubeless is stopping small staples and thorns, but for me all my failures have been due to rock or glass slashes. Had to finally go back to regular clinchers tires $21-dollar Vittoria Rubino G+. If a Rubino gets slashed, I'll just superglue a boot to it and continue to use it for most of its remaining life. And if I had to throw away, it's only $21. Nobody on their super expensive tubeless tires has ever beaten me on a ride because of "tubeless performance"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.