Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 07:17 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We brought the Tandem and the BOB trailer (on top the car) into school today. At the end of the day, we climbed on it and rode the 33 miles home. It was pretty breezy. But all TAIL WIND today!!!! Whoo HOOO! Temp was around 60, not bad! We even stopped at a small village tavern along our route, used their facilities then bought a Mountain Dew and sat at the bar and talked with some of the locals. They couldn't believe we were riding that far. Then we told them we were riding a tandem...."What's a tandem?" Oh well it was nice talking with 'em. Good ride today.
Old 05-01-02, 06:48 AM
Grounded

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night was perfect for commuting!

It was only my second time, actually, but those strong winds which have been blowing all month finally died down to a gentle breeze. It was 60 degrees f (about 15c) which was great, and it was partly sunny on the way in. Big fluffy clouds, and the trees starting to show a bit of green. On the way home, rain clouds had moved in, but I only got hit with about 3 drops.

To make it all that much better, my butt seemed to hurt less this time (finally!) and the length of the ride (8miles) seemed easy compared to the nasty ride I had on Sunday!

(Sunday--now remember, I'm not that fit and have only had my bike for about 3 weeks--I planned a 21-miler, which would have been just a little over the longest ride I've taken yet. The first 7-mile section was against powerful head winds, but I didn't worry because I knew I'd be out of them on the next part, and they would blow me home. The second 7-mile section was on the Mountain Bay trail....and never having ridden trails before, I hadn't realized how that brown stuff sucks at your wheels when it's wet--I had to do almost the entire 7 miles in the gears I usually only use for hill-climbing against the wind!!! The last seven miles wouldn't have been bad except that I was tired and had a bad leg cramp from the time my chain slipped off and I fell over. :/ Thanks for listening to me whine....)
Old 05-01-02, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode in yesterday on wet roads just after a rain. As long as I keep the speed under 15 mph, the water stays on the tires. Rode home in the rain, it was warm for new england though and I enjoyed the ride.
Today I left the hose on mostly dry roads, but they got wetter as I neared my job, the sky was clear and as I passed a man in a small boat fishing in the middle of a glass smooth fog covered pond. I though, this is what it's all about, what a peaceful pretty sight. Looks like it's going to be a great ride home this afternoon. My ride is 19 miles each way and weather never stops me.

Keep crankin
Old 05-01-02, 11:02 AM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I got up. Checked the winds and discovered I had a tail wind into school. No morning class, so off I went. I was flying! I ended the 33 mile ride with a 19.5 mph average, but I'm bushed! More training, more training! My endurance is down!
Old 05-01-02, 02:23 PM
suitcase of courage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sometimes I wake up, and just decide today will be a commute day. (but it really ends up being most days ) So I run around trying to get dressed, pack my clothes, grab my helmet, gloves, lock, chain, and books (for college) and head out. Lately it's been a bit windy and cool, this morning was no exception. I started in a real easy gear, to warm my legs up and then quickly arrive at a nice hill. By the end of the hill I'm awake enough to really get into a nice spin, and keep myself focused. I make a left, and head to the first stop light, as I get passed by a few cars along the way. This is always an indication of how the drivers are going to respond to me during my ride, and today they are actually pulling over a bit and making room First light, and I make my right hand turn, it will be three more lights until I have to turn again, so I get into a nice cadence and check out the secenry. My commute takes me by one of the larger parks here in vegas, and I always enjoy seeing what is going on there for the day.

Today it seems some sort of event is going to take place as they are setting up tents, and bleechers. I pass by the park, and hit a few more lights, nothing really spectacular to speak of on this leg, except I get to pass by the noisy Macarren International Airport. Soon after I make a left, and ride another mile until I take a right, then a quick ride through a neighborhood, and I arive at UNLV, one thing I always do (guess I'm a show off) is ride through campus with no hands

It is a six and a half mile ride, nothing much but it is always fun to do. Most of the time, like this morning is uneventful, and so I get a little time to relax while on my bike.

Last edited by VegasCyclist; 05-02-02 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 03:43 PM
Powered by:

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress DX; unknown Trek Police mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Let's see..today's commute:
Going there was easy since a lot of it is slightly downhill. Coming back in the rain was not so fun. One driver honked at me, like I was in the way or something (4-lane road). A big, fat minivan.
Have a nice day!
Brian
Old 05-02-02, 06:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well All, good morning.
No ride in to work today for me. I have to bring a large box of bike shorts to the post office, they are comming apart at the seams before their time, besides, it's going to rain like crazy here in new england, although as I've posted before, weather never stops me. As far as the shorts go, isn't great that performance bike stands behind their products so well, how can you not buy from them. I ride a lot therfore I wear things out. Whenever I have an issue with a product that was purchased from Performance Bike, they take care of it and make it good without hassle. well I can't wait till tomorrow, you can bet I'll be on the bike. I have very slow starts on mornings that I don't ride.

Keep Crankin out the miles
Old 05-02-02, 06:50 AM
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I failed today too. An 8:00 am mandatory meeting coupled with thunderstorms made me fear not being able to get cleaned up in time. As for Performance, I agree. I went through three Nite-Rider lights this winter. Each time I sent one back they gave me a better price.
Old 05-02-02, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Frog floater this morning in Washington, DC. After the first quarter mile, I decided it would be good to have the lights on, even though it was 8 AM. By the next quarter mile, I could not imagine riding without them on. The street lights were all on -- it really looked like 9 PM. However, the rain was very light for the next few miles. When it finally did hit, within a few minutes there was a foot of standing water in some spots. Fifteen minutes later, it had stopped.

Gor-tex and lights are your friends.

Paul
Old 05-02-02, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul - you're a braver man than me - I took one look outside this morning and started looking for my dogeared Metro ticket!
Old 05-02-02, 08:53 PM
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today there were big, fat, scattered rain clouds pouring down water, and fierce, gusty winds.....I looked at the weather and "Ride of the Valkyries" started playing in my head--I knew I had to ride it!

The wind was a crosswind over my route, but just a LITTLE slanted in my favor--it seemed to actually suck me along like the wind sucks a sail. I used my downhill gears most of the way in! About a mile from home it started to snow on me, and that wind was blowing slushy gobs right into my right ear. But I got out from under that cloud after about 5 minutes, and the sun shone on me the rest of the way. I did my fastest time ever, the 8 or 9 miles (gotta measure) in 35 minutes! (Yeah, I know you're faster than me. So what? )

When it was time to go home, the clouds were almost all gone and the wind had died down a bit. I decided not to wear my jacket. I didn't exactly regret the choice, but it did get a bit nippy on my biggest downhill. When I was about a mile from home, big, sparkly stars started to come out.

I hugged my bike today. Gah! Am I becoming a bit of a loony?
Old 05-03-02, 05:54 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, the weather's been gloriously warm here in Munich the last week and i've ridden home 3 times this week in only a short-sleeve jersey (and pants and helmet and gloves of course)... we've had sun and intermittant clouds but no rain!

but this morning i went to the dentist before work which is only 1km away from home, so i didn't bring my gear or anything with me b/c i had planned to come back home after the dentist...

well, i left my keys inside and didn't notice b/c i didn't lock up b/c my girlfriend was still getting ready...

so i get home from the dentist, my girlfriend's already at work and my keys were locked inside...

so today i'm at work in a t-shirt and cycling shoes - my winter offroad ones with the dirt spikes in front... - fortunately i didn't change into my full commuting gear before going to the dentist, so i have jeans and a t-shirt on! and after realizing i would have to wear the t-shirt i took it off to keep it dry and rode to work in only my jacket... anyway, it's Friday so no one really seems to notice...

anyone else ever forgotten you work clothes?? usually i keep an extra shirt here at my desk just for such an occaison (happened once 3 years ago), but not today
Old 05-03-02, 06:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my FIRST commute today. 8 miles in 35-40 mins. Feel much better than having fought (and Fight I do) with traffic all all the way to work.

Its great how much mental stimulation you get from riding as opposed to driving. You see much more of the world. It reminded me of my childhood in a South Indian village where a 1 mile trip can show you so much diversity (no building codes, road standards, etc).

I dont feel much of a work out from having rode 8 miles tho. I was expecting it to be much worse. Will have to find some alternate routes

Eldho.
Old 05-03-02, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mornin Everyone
I left the house this morning at 5:30, The streets were soaked from the night rain, and the thick clouds were just starting to break up. The first 13 miles were actually a nice ride, the air was still and I kept my speed to a max of 15 mph. to keep the water on the tires. At the 14 mile mark, the sky got really dark and it rained hard for about 15 seconds, the there was clear sky and high, high winds. I guess the cold front the weatherman promised got me.. I rode the final 5 miles at a wopping 10 mph. into extreme head winds. It was an interestinng ride to say the least. Once I arrived at work and washed the worms from my bike, I gave the ride some thought, all in all, it was a great ride, Mother Nature is full of surprises. The tires rolling on the wet roads produce a very soothing sound that gives you the desire to just keep on going, past my place of employment and make it an all day affair, The rain, cool on the exposed parts of my face, felt invigorating, and the wind, forces you to stay alert while riding along side of the steel boxes you share the road with.

I guess I just described life to all of you.

Tollerance: To cope with the wet roads, the wind, the rain and humans encountered throughout the day.

Acceptance: To allow you to enjoy the experiances presented by the surprises and unexpected situations that constantly arrise.

Patience: While riding at a slow speed into the wind.

Self discipline: To get up, get out and do it and to push on through successful completion making it all worth it.

The Ability to realize and accept change: You have no control over many things or the actions and reactions of others.

Someone once said "Everything You Need To Know About Life, You Can Learn From The Seat Of A Bike"

I can't wait for the ride home.
Old 05-03-02, 09:26 AM
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrfix

Someone once said "Everything You Need To Know About Life, You Can Learn From The Seat Of A Bike"

I can't wait for the ride home.
I really liked the story of your ride! Very inspiring

I've experienced the same feelings of well-being on my commute. When it rains, you just accept it. It makes you feel powerful knowing that you are doing something that most people would consider insane.

Well said my man. I too can't wait for the ride home even though I know there will be a headwind and I only have a one-speed fixed gear bike. It will make me stronger.
Old 05-06-02, 12:16 AM
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my commute this morning was a whopping 12kms/7.5miles. Got my first flat for this year, a cut directly across the tyre from one side to the other. So I put in a new tube and pumped it up with Co2, but the hole was just too big and the tube stuck through the hole like a bubble. I deflated the tyre until the tube receded, but by that time the tyre was too flat to ride on. I had to drag out the mobile and call my wife at work to come get me, major drag.

From now on I will carry a spare foldable tyre, so my wife won't have to leave work and come and get me.

While waiting for her I had a nice chat with an elderly gentleman at the bus stop I was sitting at, talking how he wants to move house as he can't see the beach any more due to development over the past 30 years. These conversations just don't happen while driving, I have met plenty of people riding and they have all been interesting. It just seems a bike is always a good starting point for conversation, by total strangers.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 05-06-02, 05:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mornin All
What a great day, clear sky and calm, no wind. I took the long way into work today, total mileage 26 miles, average speed 19.2.
Traffic was light and the air was just cool enough to me comfortable. Today is really the beat day I've had all year as far as the weather goes, the first day I could wear shorts without freezing.
Old 05-06-02, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic! Today was my first commute ever. It was a short 2.5 miles, and I got to work in 12 minutes instead of driving 15-20 minutes. Last week was my first week commuting from my new apartment, and I was annoyed to discover the amount of traffic that exists on my way to work.

On the commute I was able to pass a trash truck since the guys jumping off were looking out for me. Cars had to wait for a while because you couldn't see around them to determine if cars were coming at you in the other lane. It made the stretch past the truck mostly car-free for me.

I was nervous at the start but soon discovered that pedalling helps relieve anxiety quickly. I can't wait to go home!!!

Teresa
Old 05-06-02, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cogratulations Teresa on beating the cars to work ! .. I also felt that drivers are not very careful - I find myself planning getaway schemes at every junction. I have a 7.5 mile one way commute.

Looks like the rest of the week is going to bring rain or at least a chance of it. I don't really mind riding in the rain, but our comany does not have a rain shelter for the parked bikes ! And I am not sure how good it is for the bike to be exposed to water like that.
Old 05-06-02, 08:30 PM
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got wet!

It had to happen sometime. I jumped the gun and made the fateful error of thinking I could beat the storm. I should have waited an hour, like the forcast said, and it would have been dry and beautiful.

It was warm, there was no wind, & nothing short of a wonderful ride.
Old 05-07-02, 07:02 AM
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BOOM! BOOM!
Slipped between two THUNDERBOOMERS. Steady drizzle all the way in. IT WAS GREAT!
Old 05-07-02, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this a few posts back....

Its great how much mental stimulation you get from riding as opposed to driving. You see much more of the world.
and I had to comment on how true that is. On my way in to work today (I was also experiencing the common theme here...BIG OL' cross wind, threatening clouds, but a nice temp) I decided that every day I was going to try to notice something that I hadn't noticed before. And voila....I see a rainbow! And I was thinking, wow, if I was still driving to work I would probably still be in bed, and I would have missed that. Cool. Then, I felt the first big raindrop....and suddenly I was in the middle of a huge rainstorm, winds, lightening...between panicking and trying not to blow over I felt like I was somehow initiated into some sick and twisted club of people who will take on this crap. I felt totally awesome. So, all in all, the ride in was fantastic.:thumbup:
Old 05-07-02, 06:40 PM
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great.

Sigh.....

My bike's in the shop....took it in for the 30-day first tune-up, and the mechanic was out sick so I had to leave it. No commuting till probably Thursday or so.....
Old 05-07-02, 07:02 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by beetlebaby
...On my way in to work today (I was also experiencing the common theme here...BIG OL' cross wind, threatening clouds, but a nice temp) I decided that every day I was going to try to notice something that I hadn't noticed before. And voila....I see a rainbow! And I was thinking, wow, if I was still driving to work I would probably still be in bed, and I would have missed that. Cool. Then, I felt the first big raindrop....and suddenly I was in the middle of a huge rainstorm, winds, lightening...between panicking and trying not to blow over I felt like I was somehow initiated into some sick and twisted club of people who will take on this crap. I felt totally awesome. So, all in all, the ride in was fantastic.:thumbup:
Who is this masked "Newbie?"

Old 05-08-02, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really am a newbie! Newbie to the board, newbie to commuting...Its Steph from good ol' Kansas City, MO. The most biking unfriendly city in the world. Oh, and the ride in today? Sweeeeeeeeet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.