Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

are '80s touring bikes more likely to use nutted calipers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

are '80s touring bikes more likely to use nutted calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I would ask @badger_biker. He's got that bike.

I do know the 87 Voyageur came with Maillard hubs- whether that's good or bad or indifferent for that period of time.

The rims are fantastic.
I agree with The Golden Boy that the Wolber 58's are excellent rims that were kind of a gold standard for touring bikes in the height of the mid 80's touring boom. The Maillard hubs on my 87 Voyageur do not deserve as high a rating. As with many hubs from Maillard they tend to have cones that pit rather easily. I wound up buying a NOS front hub on eBay to replace my front cones and lucked out in a couple of old time Schwinn bike shops in the area and found 1 new rear cone in each.

Even though the hubs are now quite smooth again I just swapped out the wheels for a pair from my 86 Voyageur. The 86 has nicer Sanshin hubs with sealed cartridge bearings that I don't have to worry about pitting and periodic maintenance. The rims are the same on both years. The biggest issue with the change was having to go to a 140 mm axle in the rear and re-dish it some since the 86 was a 5 speed and I'm running 7 on my bike.

Pemetic2006 - My 87 was pretty scratched and nicked up cosmetically when I got it but I stripped it and rattle can painted it which has held up pretty well. I figured I would PC it in the future if it gets worse. The Voyageur is a great bike and if it fits I wouldn't hesitate. I would check the smoothness of the hubs though. You may or may not be able to find replacement cones for it since they have a pressed on dirt sealing ring.
Old 03-15-16, 11:38 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, WSI owned the Centurion, Cycle Pro and Diamond Back brands. There is no doubt that ATBs were seen the wave of the future but there was also a perfect storm that led to a resurgence of interest in competitive road cycling.

Triathlon got a big push in 1980 with the start of Ironman television coverage in 1980, along with a run of Dave Scott supremacy. LeMond was performing well on the European circuit which led to mid-1980s TV coverage of races like the TdF and CC beyond highlights. After LeMond won the World Championships in 1983, he got to show off his rainbow jersey in Taco Bell commericials, which showed the public that fame and fortune could be had through competitive cycling. However, everything solidified in 1984 when LeMond took 3rd at the TdF and Grewal won gold at the LA Olympics. There was even some CANCON, with Bauer taking silver at the Olympics and quickly following up with bronze at the World Championships. I believe I've read that USCF licenses had quadrupled by mid-1980s versus what they were in 1980.

As long as (North) Americans like Scott, LeMond and Bauer were performing well and getting television coverage, road bicycle sales would continue to rise. It's pretty hard for bicycle companies to ignore that kind of writing on the wall. If you've got a limited amount of finances to use for advertising campaigns and placing orders with your contract manufacturers, you want to use it on models with the best sales prospects (and bigger margins). In the late 1980s, that was ATBs and competition road models.
I wasn't into "bicycles" back then, and if I had been, I'd have been a teenager, so this is all supposition on my part from what I've gathered through catalogs, observations and comparisons, and people's conversations, mostly here.

Without looking at any WSI catalogs, was the ProTour the only tourer in WSI's fleet? Or just THE GT in WSI's fleet...

I recall someone here saying 'we sold 10 Expeditions to every Trek 720,' and to me that implication is that the 720 was a prohibitively expensive bike at a time when "touring" was becoming "old fashioned." Judging from the components used on the Pro Tour, it could not have been far behind in price- Was that decision to drop the Pro Tour based in not having a "lesser" model of Pro Tour, and effectively abandoning the market to the other makers- who, the following year, mostly backed out of "touring."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.