Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 10:00 AM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lofter
just bought this classic this week ive been waiting for a nice vitus...
WOW! Very nice bike, with my favorite Mavic bits... LUCKY!
Old 07-16-05, 10:15 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous!
Old 07-19-05, 05:42 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In reference to another thread, but a nice place to put it. This bike needs a good cleaning, I realized after taking pictures. It is a 1984 Raleigh Team, obviously unrestored, and was used by a member of the British National Team in LA (a track guy, so it didn't go to the line). The group is full super record with the titanium widgies. The point of posting this is to point out the Made in England for Raleigh of America sticker - the top end bikes continued to be made in England for at least 1984.

The original text from the seller is attached.

It was built for Noel Lilley, though I can't tell you if it ended up being custom or not (I forget what the top tube is, if it's at all atypical of a 56), but Noel was probably fairly close to average I'd guess.Noel was a member of the '84 English Olympic Team, on the team pursuit, but of course got a road bike along with his track bikes. He came to LA, but unfortunately got appendicitis and didn't compete. I think they spent a fair amount of time in the LA area, and he ended up meeting an American girl and marrying her and became naturilized. They lived in Redlands, and in the years after LA he raced Cat I for a couple of local teams around there, though my details are sort of sketchy.
I met him in '86 or '87 when he and his wife moved to Conifer CO, which is one town away from Evergreen, which are both basically suburban mtn towns 20-30 miles w of Denver, in the foothills. I ran a bike shop in Evergreen, and he worked with us for a couple of years until the fall of '91, when he was quite
tragically killed riding home one gorgeous November afternoon (hit by a car) by an older woman who had
been medicated at her doc's office. He did the kind of commmute that very few could do, and unfortunately it involved a mile or two on US 285, and it got him. In another tragic tweek, his wife was an er nurse, and met the helicopter that flew him in, not knowing who it was. Not the happiest of stories I'm afraid; he was understandably proud of his accomplishements, and being a British National Team member and having the English flagship bike, I doubt he ever would have parted with it. (This was not the bike he was riding; he had a few miles of dirt road, and had one of those old Specialized Cross Roads). My cousin's husband bought it from the widow, and has ridden it sporadically over the years, and asked me to sell it because it really didn't fit him.It is a unique bike I think,with some pedigree I think. Enjoy the hell out of it please. Regards, Phil Downing (velophred)
Old 07-19-05, 06:54 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"The group is full super record with the titanium widgies"

I think I see some Simplex retrofrictions crowding out some campy shifters... beautiful bike, somewhat spooky backstory.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-19-05, 09:08 PM
hobby-ist

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by luker
Not just any dork disk...The original dork disk that came with the bike!
I'm probably gonna be sorry I asked but....whats a "dork disk"?
Old 07-19-05, 09:13 PM
hobby-ist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Love the look of your bike. Of course the picture on the thread earlier is more detailed, but the backdrop of (I assume) Chicago is beautiful. I know nothing about Chicago and didn't imagine it to look like that.
Steve.
Chicago is a great bike city, and that lake front trail is a good ride, on a week day, when all the trafic is at work, and you can just zip along. Once a year there is a ride called "Bike the Drive", a 30 mile ride on one of our buisiest and most pictureesqe roads "Lake Shore Drive" it's usually around memorial day and loads of fun, couple hundred thousand people turn out every year.
Old 07-19-05, 09:19 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peterbarson
I'm probably gonna be sorry I asked but....whats a "dork disk"?
The pie tin on the back wheel that keeps dorks like me from shifting the chain into the spokes. Usually, adjustment is all that is really needed, but...this one was kinda cool, because it is an integral part of the earliest freehub that I've ever seen. I'd need to find a spacer to keep the cogs tight without it. And El Twe woulda had to find something else to dish out crap about...always thinking about my fellow man, that's me...
Old 07-19-05, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dork disc = spoke protector, behind the freewheel to keep the derailleur from clashing catastrophically with the spokes; unnecessary on a properly adjusted/maintained ride.
Old 07-20-05, 10:45 PM
transport, not sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I bought new, in 1980, a soviet racer, a start shosse (I have transcripted it, originally in cyrilic.) there is a 80 olympic logo, which has faded. Anyone in the US own one like mine?
Old 07-21-05, 12:50 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Welcome, Tedi. My wife is Indonesian -- she was born in Bandung.

Anyway, given the state of US/Soviet relations in 1980, I'd be surprised if many -- or any at all -- made their way to America. Can you post a picture of it?
Old 07-21-05, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1975 Schwinn Continental. Big and somewhat heavy -- but a great, durable daily rider.
Old 07-21-05, 08:21 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lofter
just bought this classic this week ive been waiting for a nice vitus frame to buy and this one unexpectedly popped up .its all mavic except the saddle and the brakes are modolo but stamped mavic.
I like it alot. Good Buy.
Steve.
Old 07-24-05, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Raleigh Technium 440
Old 07-24-05, 08:09 PM
hobby-ist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by preachermain
1975 Schwinn Continental. Big and somewhat heavy -- but a great, durable daily rider.
that is pretty big, if you fit on that thing you must be like 20 feet tall.
Nice looking bike, pretty clean for 1975, how much work did you do on it. Or is it a recent aquisition
Old 07-26-05, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
My pile of bikes, gathered since 1985. Not a wall hanger among them, but I do have them hanging like sides of beef in the garage. Total investment is much less than one click shifting carbon fiber newbee.
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
https://chuck.kichline.com/bikes/
That green Dawes Galaxy is nice. There is a used bike shop near me selling that exact same bike. I shall have to ask him what the price is. He told me he got it for 10$CDN, but I am not too sure if I believe it. Nonetheless, great collection you have there.
Old 07-26-05, 09:46 PM
hobby-ist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you have a heck of a collection, I'm a bit envious.
Everthing looks swell.
Old 07-27-05, 12:05 AM
Weekend racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1976 Raleigh Professional Mk IV - I also have the original Brooks saddle and tubular rims, but changed over to clinchers years ago. I recently lost my mind and switched the Campy NR over to Ultegra 9 to get STI shifting, but may switch it back now that I have a CF bike with 105 on it.
Old 07-31-05, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one of my favorites: TESCH HWY-101

I built this bike while in my early 20's w/ the help of Henry, Cisco and the gang @ Henry's Bikeland in Anaheim, CA. I was looking for something better than the off-the-rack high-end bike of the era as they didn't seem to fit me well regardless of the adjustments made to saddle location or stem changes. Henry put me in contact with Tesch. I went down to his place and had he took my measurements and listened to what I had to say about retail bikes (how the didn't fit my long torso well).

Some time later the guys @ Henry's called me and told me to come get my frame (which they sold to me at cost) and it got better, they donated a C-Record gruppo to me as well (all I had to do was lace the wheels, buy a saddle, stem, bars, chain, tires and cages).

My first experience on the bike was not a pleasant one. The bike handled like a race car and the frame/fork are very stiff (I thought I was developing tendonitis in my right forearm and elbow after riding this bike for only a month/2500-km). I'm glad to say the tendonitis cleared up after a small break from cycling (I rear-ended a car on my Bianchi).

I ordered three more frames from David, 2 crit frames and 1 more road. Regrettably they were all 126mm rears. I sold off three of the four years ago, but I kept this one as it is the first "custom" bike I've owned (it needs new bar ribbon).

Here are the Stats:
Tesch Hwy 101 SLX/SPX 57CM
Tesch Hwy 101 Fork
Stem: TTT
Bars: TTT
Cranks: Campy C-Record ('87-'88)
BB: Italian
RR Derailure: C-Record
FT Derailure: C-Record
Freewheels: Quite a collection of 7-speed Suntour and Campy
Pedals: Look Carbon ('89-'91)
Brakes: Campagnolo C-Recod? Not sure, they came w/ the gruppo ('87)
Levers: Non Aero Campagnolo w/ gum colored hoods
Wheels: (1, and in photo) 36 hole Mavic 510 hubs, Mavic MA40's and Vittoria clinchers, (2) C-Record hubs w/ Campy lite tubeless rims, (3) Mavic 550 hubs w/ Araya Hard Ano'd Aero tubeless, (4) Super Record hubs w/ Mavic GL330
Seat Post: C-Record
Saddle: Selle San Marco Rolls (designer edition)
Computer: Cat-Eye
Old 08-01-05, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
I have just joined Bike Forums and thought I would post a pic of my favorite bike a 1976/77 Cinelli SC - I love this bike. All original except for gum hoods and tires.
Old 08-01-05, 12:23 PM

Trying this again with a smaller image of the Cinelli - sorry folks I am still learning how to do all this stuff. Mike
Old 08-01-05, 01:01 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Trying this again with a smaller image of the Cinelli - sorry folks I am still learning how to do all this stuff. Mike
beauty! classic
always had a hankerin for one since seeing my 1st in Cntral Park back on the 60s.

where are all the Frejus and Bottechia crowd? Whoever wuz sellin them in NYC, back in the 60s, sold a boat load, and then there were the Atalas for those who could quite get the dosh for the others.

...was muy fun to just hang out across from the boathouse and oogle the fine steel.
luv this thread...
Old 08-01-05, 09:15 PM
TLN

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Super Leggera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 1970 steel lugged VeloSchauff (German) with Modolo stem and bars (into a fixie). The rims are Velocity aeroheads and 70's Campy Nuovo Record everything else except the Record BB and chain which are brand new. I didnt remove the cable guides just in case I want to rebuild it into a full road bike later on. I also did a little custom paint job on the stem to cover a nice nik. This bike climbs hills better than my old C'dale that was 3 lbs lighter. I also did a custom cut job on the bars and corked them... then threw on lower profile Vredensteins to I could use the front brake without rubbing on the Contis.
Old 08-02-05, 08:53 AM

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Beautiful. Love the chromed lugs.
Old 08-02-05, 09:25 AM

Jack,

Here are a few more, plus a couple of pics showing the lugs. Mike.
Old 08-02-05, 09:36 AM

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
drool...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.