Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Computer on a vintage bike???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Computer on a vintage bike???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 06:53 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GV27
What does 9/11 have to do with anything? Therre's no rule against having a GPS on an airliner. Heck - some airlines give you one on the screen in the seatback in front of you!
A GPS powered on, at the wrong part of the flight profile, recording your track, yes.
Old 05-02-10, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do not have a computer on any of my bikes, vintage or (gasp) modern carbon fibre that gets raced. I just find them totally unnecessary, and ugly on any vintage. I've never counted mileage, as hours are easily kept track of. Fitness can be judged by if you are feeling like crap or speedy.
Old 05-02-10, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Cycling allows you to leave all that Orwellian electronic gizmodo satellite tracking micro techno nuclear radioactive cyber-droid stuff behind.

BTW- I don't have a computer on any of my bikes either.
Old 05-02-10, 09:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Cateye, and don't think it looks bad at all. I guess I do have a 9 speed group though so I'm not exactly retro grouch. My only regret is not getting the double wireless.

Old 05-03-10, 04:35 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Good grief - you hit 52 mph?
Yes! On my '83 Paramount last June. Up until that point I'd never achieved much over 45mph

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Was it on during the drive to the ride?
No. I believe I rode to the ride!

But notice the "OVER'L SPEED." I crawled back up at about 3-4 mph. My riding buddy and I refer to it as "the hill of death" (as in cardiac events). There are sections I should measure, but my guess is they are at least 15% grade. I believe the average grade for the 1.5 mile drop is something like 8%.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-03-10, 07:58 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Good grief - you hit 52 mph?
...with an overall speed of 10mph.
Old 05-03-10, 09:10 AM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
For a Gitane you need the Huret "Multito" belt-driven odometer to stay authentic:
Had a Multito just like that on my PH10S in 1982-3 except it had a light grey casing with black top face. Worked and looked great but it was a bit far to read in hard efforts like on long climbs. Eventually replaced it with an Avocet 20 computer, bumping the Multito as one of the first and early resident of the component "mothball" drawer as the mods started on my first "real" bike. Avocet was eventually transferred over to my next bike, the PSV, It's still on it and working flawlesslly.
I have a VDO on my Vitus and I like the wireless feature for the cadence and speed, but I wish they could make the sensors on the frame smaller.

Chombi
Old 05-03-10, 09:48 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I may have a Multito in case anyone wants it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-03-10, 10:19 AM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Garmin 705 & about 4-5 mounts that I change from bike to bike. It's nice since it doesn't required anything too intrusive or obtrusive to mount. I like to track mileage, stats, elevation changes and routes, so it's a great geek-toy. I enjoy vintage bikes for the quality of workmanship, feel of the ride, history, etc., not to show off how authentic I can be. I'm not a big fan of museum pieces, so I'll put the Garmin on anything for a ride and take it off when I'm done. No big deal. I rode 20+ years without a computer of any sort. The only time I ever knew how fast I was going was if someone in a car yelled "hey, buddy, do you know you were going XXX?"...which, actually was kinda helpful or at least interesting...
Old 05-03-10, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by fiataccompli
I have a Garmin 705 & about 4-5 mounts that I change from bike to bike. It's nice since it doesn't required anything too intrusive or obtrusive to mount. I like to track mileage, stats, elevation changes and routes, so it's a great geek-toy. I enjoy vintage bikes for the quality of workmanship, feel of the ride, history, etc., not to show off how authentic I can be. I'm not a big fan of museum pieces, so I'll put the Garmin on anything for a ride and take it off when I'm done. No big deal. I rode 20+ years without a computer of any sort. The only time I ever knew how fast I was going was if someone in a car yelled "hey, buddy, do you know you were going XXX?"...which, actually was kinda helpful or at least interesting...
I too am willing to use "new tech" items on my classic bikes, but I still would like to minimize the aesthetic impact on a classic of vintage bike as much as possible. With the latest cycle computers, the issue I have is the size and shape of the wireless sensors that you have to mount on the frame and/or fork. The dang things are either the size of charcoal briquettes or almost as big as CO2 cartridges, depending on the brand you get and bacly breaks the clean lines of a bike, specially at the fork. I don't know why they cannot shape it to semi-wrap around the tube it's mounted on to get a cleaner look that will also less likely to get hooked or hit something and get damaged, but I think it has a bit to do with the big, quarter (or is it 50 cent piece?) sized batteries these sensors require. A snap-on mount would also be so much nicer as you can transfer the system from one bike to the other real easy and give you the option to run the bikes "clean" without sensors or heads if you want to. Zip ties just look add-on junky, no mater what you do with them.
I suspect that better wireless solutions are eventually going to come as better technology emerges in the coming years.
JMOs

Chombi
Old 05-03-10, 11:20 AM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The aesthetic solution is pretty simple - if you want a computer but don't want to spoil the retro look of the bike, buy a Garmin Edge 205/305 and stick it in your jersey pocket or seat wedge. Works great, and out of sight. They're getting really cheap, now.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-03-10, 11:34 AM

That makes senss, cycle computer tech could be mostly based on GPS sattlelite systems. Performance monitoring will be downloaded to a PC base and transmitted back to the computer head real time. micro Inertial and stress/pressure sensor systems built into pedals and cranks or even bike shoes can monitor cadence functions. This could all just be an integration of existing systems away from happening if it hasn't already ( I don't keep up with the lates bike tech as much as before)/ It will free us for good from having sensors, magnets and wires on our classic bikes.

Chombi
Old 05-03-10, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a magnetic pickup type on my bikes. A cheapie "Schwinn" on my Schwinn.
Old 05-03-10, 12:43 PM
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
as mentioned earlier, the forerunner 305 is actually a watch so it doesn't even go on the bike.
Old 05-03-10, 01:27 PM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get one of those Garmin, Suunto or Polar GPS wristwatch models. Absolutely no hardware on bike, unless you want cadence. Keeping track of individual bike mileage may be a bit tricky though.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 05-03-10, 02:02 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I really don't care about speed, distance, or where I am, in general.
I'm easily distracted, too. I've tried cyclo's and get tired of looking at them.

If the pitch changes on the spoke hum, I know the speed changed.
If I'm tired, I went my usual. If I'm really tired, I went longer. Maybe then I'll ask someone.

If I'm thirsty or hungry, I stop, doesn't matter where or when or how far I've been or have to go.

I don't ride pace lines, so no one really cares if I can go steady or streaky.

In triathlons, I pedal very hard for as long as I can, and this generally beats at least half the guys who know how fast they were riding.

My best 100 miler was between 4 and 5 hours, and that included stops. It was strenuous and not pleasant after the 60-mile rest stop. My body felt it was time to end that madness.

I have stripped many a cyclo off of bikes, put them in a bag, and gave them to Amani576. Someone just gave me another, a Cateye, and I don't like the idea of another wire I can neither clean up, polish, or route in a spartan manner.

That being said, it would be pretty cool to have some husky female voice tell me "don't stop..." so maybe a GPS is in my future...
Old 05-03-10, 02:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I showed my wife the data graph from my 705 the other day and pointed out the section where I'd hit 75mph and sustained it for several miles. She was quite horrified until I pointed out that I'd thrown the bike in the back of the car after the ride and forgotten to turn off the GPS :-D

More on topic I used to own an 83 vintage Iku Cyclometer. One of the most advanced computers of it's time and still looked good (and worked) 27 years later. I only sold it in the end because I share the Edge unit between both bikes now. If you want to stay period correct but still have something that's useful (showed speed, average speed, distance, trip time and odometer) then that's always an option. It was self powered too, large ring magnet attached to the front wheel which provided both speed data and power to charge the unit.
Old 05-03-10, 05:10 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strop
I showed my wife the data graph from my 705 the other day and pointed out the section where I'd hit 75mph and sustained it for several miles. She was quite horrified until I pointed out that I'd thrown the bike in the back of the car after the ride and forgotten to turn off the GPS :-D

More on topic I used to own an 83 vintage Iku Cyclometer. One of the most advanced computers of it's time and still looked good (and worked) 27 years later. I only sold it in the end because I share the Edge unit between both bikes now. If you want to stay period correct but still have something that's useful (showed speed, average speed, distance, trip time and odometer) then that's always an option. It was self powered too, large ring magnet attached to the front wheel which provided both speed data and power to charge the unit.

That's hilarious!

I was riding to work in the rain a few months ago and apparently my speedo (cheapie magnet/sensor type) got some water inside the works... I was sitting at a stop sign and looked down to see 89.4 MPH on the 'puter. I wish I'd saved it and taken a pic.
Old 05-03-10, 05:35 PM
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ that happens at every light with a sensor in the ground on those pos wireless computers.
Old 05-03-10, 05:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has NEVER happened with mine and I come across the ground sensors several times during every ride I do.
Old 05-03-10, 07:05 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
^ that happens at every light with a sensor in the ground on those pos wireless computers.
I had one of those, the Mavic POS. Wireless everything.
What made it great was that there were no wires connecting the various parts that didn't work.
Old 05-04-10, 02:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
It wasn't wireless. It was just a cheap POS wired computer that got wet.
Old 05-05-10, 10:32 AM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Yes! On my '83 Paramount last June. Up until that point I'd never achieved much over 45mph

No. I believe I rode to the ride!

But notice the "OVER'L SPEED." I crawled back up at about 3-4 mph. My riding buddy and I refer to it as "the hill of death" (as in cardiac events). There are sections I should measure, but my guess is they are at least 15% grade. I believe the average grade for the 1.5 mile drop is something like 8%.
I like leaving my computer on kph. Instant bump in speed.

Some hills are more fun than others, depending upon which side you're on...