Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ethics of (probably) stolen bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ethics of (probably) stolen bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 02:14 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hear something no one else mentioned: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Old 06-28-10, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 2100 Composite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Obviously, I disagree.

I know and like my neighbors; we socialize, collect each other's mail when we travel, shovel our neighborhood out together in the winter and generally look out for one another. What goes on in my neighborhood is my business. The entire premise of neighborhood watch is that taking the time to notice and report suspicious behavior and circumstances makes criminals uneasy and gives the police cause to look into things.
Old 06-28-10, 05:08 PM
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTEObviously, I disagree.

I know and like my neighbors; we socialize, collect each other's mail when we travel, shovel our neighborhood out together in the winter and generally look out for one another. What goes on in my neighborhood is my business. The entire premise of neighborhood watch is that taking the time to notice and report suspicious behavior and circumstances makes criminals uneasy and gives the police cause to look into things.][/QUOTE]

True, but respectively you have no proof. You are basing your judement on a person's prior arrest record. I am not the most optomistic guy in the world. The guy may be a serial criminal. However, he deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Now if you see the pile grow or worse yet you see the guy selling bikes like it is a used car lot then I think it may be time to let it go.

I do agree with you that what goes on in a neighborhood is your business (especially if crime is rampant or it spikes). I also agree with Diesel.

I choose to socialize with some neighbors but not all. I have lived with nosey neigbors (not calling you nosey) and I hated it.

Here is a good rule of thunmb that I go with. If you are 100% sure someone has been wronged and can provide proof without being Magnum PI and the deed is heinous enough...by all means go to the authorities. If it is less than 100% or you have to become a detective....let it be........
Old 06-28-10, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just ask her? "Hey, granny, where'd your grandson get all these bikes? He's not getting himself in trouble again, is he?" Just a thought.
Old 06-28-10, 10:47 PM
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or visit the grandson in jail...drop off a carton of cigs and some old spice. Transaction complete
Old 06-29-10, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by jhodge
She wants these bikes out of her yard,
It looks to me like you're turning her problem into your problem. I suggest she be the one to call the bike co-op.
Old 06-29-10, 08:24 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Ha, can't get no better than that!

From the length of my years I have found out that sometimes the TRUTH hurts!!
Old 06-29-10, 08:33 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jhodge
Obviously, I disagree.

I know and like my neighbors; we socialize, collect each other's mail when we travel, shovel our neighborhood out together in the winter and generally look out for one another. What goes on in my neighborhood is my business. The entire premise of neighborhood watch is that taking the time to notice and report suspicious behavior and circumstances makes criminals uneasy and gives the police cause to look into things.
You are correct, suspicious behavior in your neighborhood should be investigated and either explained or have it ceased. With that said, the STEROTYPING of your neighbor I have to RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. You have made several references that the bikes MAY BE STOLEN. I think you should CLARIFY that. No riding the fence. Find out if the bikes are stolen since you made the claim of "maybe stolen". Call the police, tell them your opinons, and then go with what they say. If they say, you have NO PROOF, than cease from calling your neighbors bikes "maybe stolen".

If you neighbor wore dress suits, and 4 cars, two trucks, and had racks in the back for about 8 bikes, would you say the "maybe stolen" too??

There is a thin line between this I hope you can see it. You mean well, but sometimes meaning well can do harm..