Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anything else I should know about latex tubes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anything else I should know about latex tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
FWIW, my only complaint about latex tubes is that I can't find latex tubes with long valve stems, so I have to use valve extenders on my deep section rims.
I just had this issue.
Old 05-07-19, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I don't understand the issue, i always use latex with removable cores and extenders, and keep a long valve butyl spare in the repair kit
Old 05-07-19, 09:53 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,996 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Check this thread. Good info there.

Fulcrum advises agains latex inner tubes.

OMG, I'm gonna die! I'm running Latex Tubes in 8 sets of either Fulcrum or Campagnolo wheels. Most of which see long climbing rides and fast descents regularly.
Old 05-07-19, 09:58 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,996 Times in 1,780 Posts
I just don't get all the angst over using latex. Been running them in a majority of my wheels for years and it's really just no big deal.

Heck, I even went back and checked my records and I had them in my Madone both years I ran the Tour of Park City. Lot's of fast descending and hard braking on that ride including totally screwing up on the same horseshoe curve both years. The second year was the first time I actually saw smoke coming off my rim brakes as I overcooked the turn again. I survived and so did the latex tubes.
Old 05-08-19, 04:10 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Oh great. Now not only do we have to worry about crabon fiber asploding but our latex tubes too!
Old 05-08-19, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The rollingresistance.com website doesn't use a smooth roller AFAIK and generally speaking, the higher the PSI, the less rolling resistance for almost any tire you look at.
I think thats right. If i'm not mistaken, it uses like a diamond tread steel drum...kinda like what you would see on industrial staircases.

I'm sort of surprised nobody has taken a molding of an asphalt road somewhere and rolled it up into a cylinder. It really cant be that complicated.

Regardless...I think the steel drum the site uses, while not smooth, is still MOSTLY smooth, and would probably be kinder to higher pressures than a road would. Of course thats all speculation though.

The pressure comparisons should probably be taken with a hefty grain of salt. The tire comparisons though should be pretty spot on.
Old 05-08-19, 07:34 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Oh great. Now not only do we have to worry about crabon fiber asploding but our latex tubes too!
So carbon + latex = instant death??
Old 05-08-19, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
First ride went really well. Picked up .8mph on three loops of the 7 mile TT loop I rode on Saturday (23.6 vs 24.4 avg). Can def feel the difference with the latex tubes and GPTT tires. I even set a new single loop PR, and my previous PR was set on a group ride, felt good to beat it solo. I also understand that since I'm still fairly new to cycling, my bike fitness is still improving, so that's prob part of it too.
Your improving fitness is most of any change you noticed. Latex tubes might get you a few watts which won't result in anything close to .8mph. Going from 23.6 to 24.4 requires about 10% extra power which latex won't provide.

If you're going to do comparisons between butyl and latex or latex at different tire pressures it takes careful measurements under controlled conditions as the differences are relatively small.
Old 05-08-19, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gregf83
Your improving fitness is most of any change you noticed. Latex tubes might get you a few watts which won't result in anything close to .8mph. Going from 23.6 to 24.4 requires about 10% extra power which latex won't provide.

If you're going to do comparisons between butyl and latex or latex at different tire pressures it takes careful measurements under controlled conditions as the differences are relatively small.
My improving fitness comment was in regards to my new PR. My 23.6 vs 24.4 rides were two days apart. Altho, the faster ride was shorter, 21 vs 35 miles (same 7 mile loop, 3 laps vs 5), but it was also in the evening after work so I was tired and it was hotter (35 mile ride was first thing Sat morning). There's also the psychological effect, maybe I was riding harder because I was feeling good about the new tires/tubes (I also switched to Conti TT tires at the same time)? Looking at BRR, it's about a 10w gain for tires & tubes together.

Def not a scientific comparison, but they're def faster/smoother, by how much is always debatable.
Old 05-08-19, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
My improving fitness comment was in regards to my new PR. My 23.6 vs 24.4 rides were two days apart. Altho, the faster ride was shorter, 21 vs 35 miles (same 7 mile loop, 3 laps vs 5), but it was also in the evening after work so I was tired and it was hotter (35 mile ride was first thing Sat morning). There's also the psychological effect, maybe I was riding harder because I was feeling good about the new tires/tubes (I also switched to Conti TT tires at the same time)? Looking at BRR, it's about a 10w gain for tires & tubes together.

Def not a scientific comparison, but they're def faster/smoother, by how much is always debatable.
So, you changed both tires and tubes at the same time. This makes it impossible to tell which made the bigger difference. My guess is that the tires were more significant to your improvement
As for latex inner tubes, my Michelin latex tubes have been just fine for everyday riding. Not knowing any better, I installed them exactly the same way I did for butyl inner tubes. They hold air pretty well, I can ride them a second day without needing to reinflate. As for durability, about 4 years with no flats, they actually have outlasted a couple of sets of tires.
Old 05-08-19, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
So carbon + latex = instant death??
Yes. I die a little on every ride.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-08-19, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The rollingresistance.com website doesn't use a smooth roller AFAIK and generally speaking, the higher the PSI, the less rolling resistance for almost any tire you look at.

Why so many folks are running 130psi these days...
Old 05-08-19, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by alcjphil
So, you changed both tires and tubes at the same time. This makes it impossible to tell which made the bigger difference. My guess is that the tires were more significant to your improvement
As for latex inner tubes, my Michelin latex tubes have been just fine for everyday riding. Not knowing any better, I installed them exactly the same way I did for butyl inner tubes. They hold air pretty well, I can ride them a second day without needing to reinflate. As for durability, about 4 years with no flats, they actually have outlasted a couple of sets of tires.
Yeah, def no way to tell which one made the bigger difference, but as a package, they work very well together. My only real questions were regarding the tubes, since they were an unknown for me. Nothing to worry about with the tires, except that they don't offer as much puncture protection, but that's the price you pay for speed.

First race of the summer TT series tomorrow night, hoping to avg over 25mph, we'll see how it goes. It's a 10 mile course, on the same loop I did my test runs on, but out and back instead of the full 7 mile loop, so I guess it'll depend on how fast I can get through the turnaround. I don't have a power meter, so I'll go hard on the way out, but not all out, and then burn everything I have left on the way back. In running at least, I always like an out and back, something clicks in your head when you know you're on the way back.
Old 05-09-19, 12:05 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You should know latex degrades gradually and is susceptible to various solvents and oils. Butyl is not. I can recommend light 80 g butyl tubes. Seems less finicky to me.
The point of latex is not low weight. It's rolling reaistance.
Old 05-09-19, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yeah, def no way to tell which one made the bigger difference, but as a package, they work very well together. My only real questions were regarding the tubes, since they were an unknown for me.Nothing to worry about with the tires, except that they don't offer as much puncture protection, but that's the price you pay for speed.
Why not use GP5000 tubeless?
Old 05-09-19, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Why not use GP5000 tubeless?
Don't want to mess with tubeless. Plus the CRR is still lower with the TT tires and latex.
Old 05-09-19, 02:11 PM

Don't want to mess with tubeless. Plus the CRR is still lower with the TT tires and latex.
That's not what I saw on BRR.com, but I don't think they test with latex tubes.

I understand your trepidation with tubeless. I tried it 5 years ago, and it just seemed like a big expensive hassle, but now I'm sold on it.
Old 05-09-19, 02:20 PM

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I'm starting to use latex and the observations by experienced users were quite helpful.
Old 05-09-19, 07:22 PM

That's not what I saw on BRR.com, but I don't think they test with latex tubes.

I understand your trepidation with tubeless. I tried it 5 years ago, and it just seemed like a big expensive hassle, but now I'm sold on it.
They did a test with the GP4K and latex tubes and it was about 2w better than the butyl tubes. Going off of that, latex tubes with the TT tires puts it about .5w better than the GP5KTL. Splitting hairs at that point, but the TT tire with a latex tube is probably one of the fastest clincher setups available so I figured I'd go with that since I'm not ready for tubeless yet. I'm where you were 5 years ago, just seems like a lot of hassle, maybe I'll give it a try on one of my other wheelsets, all three are tubeless compatible, so that's good at least.

If anyone is curious, I raced very poorly tonight lol It was my first TT and I redlined right out of the gate and blew up spectacularly But the tires/tubes performed great!
Old 05-09-19, 07:28 PM

If anyone is curious, I raced very poorly tonight lol It was my first TT and I redlined right out of the gate and blew up spectacularly
Been there, done that.

It's hard to start your first few TTs, without charging out like your balls are on fire.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-10-19, 05:04 AM

Been there, done that.

It's hard to start your first few TTs, without charging out like your balls are on fire.
The good thing is that I can only improve from here! Plus it's nice that it's a local series, so I can train on the course. Looking forward to doing better next month!
Old 05-10-19, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
They're pink. When you flat out and everyone sees that pink tube they'll make fun of you.

Old 05-10-19, 06:35 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
They're pink. When you flat out and everyone sees that pink tube they'll make fun of you.

Michelins are celeste, if color matters.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-10-19, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dmanthree

I'm safe, mine are green
Old 05-10-19, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
It Matters

Originally Posted by datlas
Michelins are celeste, if color matters.
Ah. The color of the Milan sky.

Acceptable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.