Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why I love where I live!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why I love where I live!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 09:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My town sucks. It's the largest farming community in CT and has nothing but rural landscapes and rolling hills with views of nothing but more nature. There's more livestock than people here and you can go forever without seeing a car. I guess our one traffic light dissuades car travel. We don't even have a supermarket. I have to go to the General Store at the Town Green to get my homemade sausage, local dairy and produce. Of course we do get deliveries of beer from some local breweries and the one Tavern/Roadhouse is 1/4 mi. from my house. But then again, when you go there everyone knows each other and they all want to know how you're doing. Sometimes people will even buy you a beer. Kind of slows things down and makes eating a drawn out affair. So, forewarned is forearmed. Don't bother coming here. It really isn't worth it. There's just nothing here. Really. Avoid this place like the plague.
You have a town green, and homemade sausage , and beer . AS for traffic, the less the better. I rode about 10miles the other day and the only other traffic on the roads I was on was a production model being tested from the Mitsubishi Factory.
Old 09-30-12, 10:12 AM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
A total Indian summer here on the SW Wa coast. Tourists are gone, I can ride to the North Head lighthouse or North Jetty of the Columbia River, take the 47 mile Naselle loop early on the weekends and see few cars. I know the winter weather is coming but for now it is bike heaven.

North Head.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61726328@N03/7769441520/

Wildlife Station on the Naselle loop ride. https://www.flickr.com/photos/6172632...n/photostream/
Old 09-30-12, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Our Chambers of Commerce claim that CO gets 300 days of sunshine each year - whatever that means. But we DO get a lot of sunny days, especially compared to San Diego's May gray and June gloom.
On average only about 50 more hours of sun per year than San Diego. And San Diego has more clear days than Denver.

San Diego gets more sun in the winter months than the summer months. Mild summer (except in fire season) and mild winter. That works for me.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-30-12, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
A total Indian summer here on the SW Wa coast. Tourists are gone, I can ride to the North Head lighthouse or North Jetty of the Columbia River, take the 47 mile Naselle loop early on the weekends and see few cars. I know the winter weather is coming but for now it is bike heaven.

North Head.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61726328@N03/7769441520/

Wildlife Station on the Naselle loop ride. https://www.flickr.com/photos/6172632...n/photostream/
Beautiful! I can see how a person could love it...

... But what's this moaning about "Winter weather coming?"
..... What would you know about winter weather? Oh yeh, I hear it rains everyday there during the "winter", instead of, well, everyday...
Old 09-30-12, 11:24 AM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Beautiful! I can see how a person could love it...

... But what's this moaning about "Winter weather coming?"
..... What would you know about winter weather? Oh yeh, I hear it rains everyday there during the "winter", instead of, well, everyday...
Snow and ice would be a "B". When those 40-100 mph storms roll in it is raining sideways I sure don't ride. This keeps me thinking of better times. A typical storm is a 3-4 day event, and some times they are nearly back to back week after week Nov-Jan. The time to ride is between storms when it's raining vertical.

Better times are like this!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61726328@N03/8039975271/
Old 09-30-12, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I've liked just about everywhere I've lived... including Canada.

But I certainly wouldn't mind living on the west coast of France where we are at the moment. It is gorgeous and evidently an undiscovered gem. There are beaches that go on forever, wonderful sailing areas, a pretty good climate by the looks of it, a superb cycling network through forests and along the dunes, and the vineyards are just to the east around Bordeaux. Paris is but a train ride away.

If I had a few hundred thousand euro to spend, I'd by a little place and spend the rest of my life here. But alas, it looks like I will have to while away my old age somewhere in Australia
Old 09-30-12, 11:56 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
You have a town green, and homemade sausage , and beer . AS for traffic, the less the better. I rode about 10miles the other day and the only other traffic on the roads I was on was a production model being tested from the Mitsubishi Factory.
I guess I should have added a . Poorly done on my part I guess.
Old 09-30-12, 03:06 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
On average only about 50 more hours of sun per year than San Diego. And San Diego has more clear days than Denver.

San Diego gets more sun in the winter months than the summer months. Mild summer (except in fire season) and mild winter. That works for me.
I was born and raised in SD, and love the Carlsbad area. I have also seen the bewildered looks on faces from other parts of the world/country who follow the ads of the SD CofC about "sunshine" in May and June and sometimes July as they try to sunbathe on a 67 degree day under the marine layer fog/clouds at most beaches, waiting for it to "burn off".

Most folks don't realize that SD has multiple climate zones as you get away from the coast, from almost "freezing" at the beaches to 100 degrees in El Cajon/La Mesa/Ramona, etc., to cool again in Mt Laguna, then 100+ as you drop into the desert/Borrego/Anza Desert State Park.

The CofC fails to mention the above, featuring the sun and folks frolicking in the sun at the beach, which does not often happen.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-30-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-30-12, 03:32 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Nice pics of the PCH.
Best of both worlds for us is 3 months cycling and relaxing in the UK/France each summer and the rest of the year in FL, The weather is turning autumnal here in the UK, so on Tuesday we return to 85F in FL.
Old 09-30-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
My town sucks. It's the largest farming community in CT and has nothing but rural landscapes and rolling hills with views of nothing but more nature. There's more livestock than people here and you can go forever without seeing a car. I guess our one traffic light dissuades car travel. We don't even have a supermarket. I have to go to the General Store at the Town Green to get my homemade sausage, local dairy and produce. Of course we do get deliveries of beer from some local breweries and the one Tavern/Roadhouse is 1/4 mi. from my house. But then again, when you go there everyone knows each other and they all want to know how you're doing. Sometimes people will even buy you a beer. Kind of slows things down and makes eating a drawn out affair. So, forewarned is forearmed. Don't bother coming here. It really isn't worth it. There's just nothing here. Really. Avoid this place like the plague.
Thanks for the warning. I'll put it on my list. Sucks to be you. Enjoy the beer.
Old 10-01-12, 04:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I guess I should have added a . Poorly done on my part I guess.
Same here . Try to keep this place a secret,
but Abe Lincoln keeps recommending it .
Old 10-01-12, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My grandmother used to say that one of the keys to happiness is finding something to love about wherever you are. BTW, nice photos.
Old 10-01-12, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I'm not one for cold weather, so Florida is perfect for me. Plus, there's year round cycling. It would be nice to have some real good hills and mountains along our coastal areas or anywhere in the state, but it is what it is.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-01-12, 06:26 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I'm not one for cold weather, so Florida is perfect for me. Plus, there's year round cycling. It would be nice to have some real good hills and mountains along our coastal areas or anywhere in the state, but it is what it is.
In CO, I cycled pleasantly every month of the year this past year. I greatly enjoy changing seasons.
Old 10-01-12, 07:07 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
In CO, I cycled pleasantly every month of the year this past year. I greatly enjoy changing seasons.
This past year has been mild for everyone. I was stationed in Cheyenne and spent most every weekend in Denver so I know what those winters are like. We get some low 30's (and sometimes high 20's) temperatures, but they normally don't last for more than a day or two. I was born and raised in Tampa and have seen it snow once in my 66 years. It was in the morning, had about an inch of snow and it was pretty much gone by noon. On average, our cold days of winter are between the low 40's and mid 50's. The rest of time you can have a jacket on in the morning and shorts and tee shirt in the afternoon. At least some people can.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-01-12, 09:16 AM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I hate the Seattle area. It's always raining here and the riding is awful. I'm not sure why I stay.

Old 10-01-12, 11:48 AM

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful photos. I'd love to ride there but I'm not great on mountain riding.......YET!!! I grew up in Upstate NY, lived in Washington, D.C, Maryland, Virginia, and then out here to Santa Barbara and now Ventura, CA. There are great places to ride everywhere that's for sure. We took a cross country trip a few years ago and saw some beautiful places around the country. I loved Colorado and envy those who live there as well.

But, I do like that in the winter, I can ride at home in 60-70 degree temps, then drive 2 1/2 hours and I'll be in the mountains skiiing!!!
Old 10-01-12, 11:57 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I lived on a sailboat in Ventura Harbor for twelve years. Hardly a day goes by when I wished I'd never left.
Old 10-01-12, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not2old, those pics remind me of the start and finish of the Grand Tour, except the start is dark.
Old 10-01-12, 12:27 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
California is two states.
I noticed 3 states when I lived there. East California is really different from Northern or Southern California. Think El Centro to Yuma then winding up to Palm Springs, Victorville and Ridgcrest, encompassing the Mojave Desert on up to Death Valley. Not much population, unrelenting desert climate.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-01-12, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I know exactly what you mean Bruce. I grew up in a similar town in New York not more than 100 miles from your town. I still have family there and visit several times a year. Going to the post office is like having a class reunion. But then, the present postal building used to be a barber shop so people are used to congregating there. The general store has been there so long, I'll bet Washington bought musket balls there.
Old 10-01-12, 12:44 PM

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I noticed 3 states when I lived there. East California is really different from Northern or Southern California. Think El Centro to Yuma then winding up to Palm Springs, Victorville and Ridgcrest, encompassing the Mojave Desert on up to Death Valley. Not much population, unrelenting desert climate.
You are so correct. I work in the high desert area and I couldn't imagine riding in 108 degrees, 95 in the evening. Ouch
Old 10-01-12, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I lived on a sailboat in Ventura Harbor for twelve years. Hardly a day goes by when I wished I'd never left.
our boat was in Newport Beach. But the truism was they a a big hole in the water you pour money into. A diver to clean the bottom. Haul it every year or two to repaint the bottom. Two hours of cleaning for evey one hour of sailing.
Old 10-01-12, 02:10 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not2Old - I love where you live too... thankfully its only 1 1/2 hours away. My favorite century is Cool Breeze. Inland or along the beach its all beautiful! Nice to know an August ride is doable! But I think Orange County is tops in mountain biking...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 10-01-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 02:13 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Woodway - at first I thought you were Seattle Forrest posting pics but realized he's not that old yet... he always has some beautiful scenary to share. Of course I am confused, everytime I am in the area, its rainy and cold. I guess I have to live there to find the few gorgeous days!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.