Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Pro One tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Schwalbe Pro One tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I had an early version if the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless and although they were fast & smooth they were horrible with punctures. On almost every ride I was getting sealant spattered on my frame from small punctures.
I took them off for a year & tried them again, and they were much better (more time to cure?), but still had too many leaks.
I may try another brand.

Was there a problem with early versions of this tire?

Thanks
I have been using Veloflex Corsa Evos and Vittoria Corsa 2.0 on my Serotta both clinchers. My lesser ridden Colnago has Pirelli P Zeros. The tires on my Serotta are handmade glued up tires on cotton poly casings that you can see through if you hold them up to bright light. They are light, fast and supple. I have yet to have a flat on either of these tires. So I cannot understand why anyone would spend the time and money on what amounts to a patchwork technology. The Pirellis haven’t flatted either and they are more robust of the three. Supple.
Old 08-24-20, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
[QUOTE=Toespeas;21655893]
Originally Posted by bbbean
ok buddy the hundreds of people that have had problems with tubeless sealing are just making it up , thats why shwalbe release a tubed version because their sales where tanking , no real racer i know would rely on tubeless seriously , they use tubulars , or they use latex tubes , the ones that have tried it usually dont last or swear by them , good luck getting a real puncture to seal over 80 psi , i have not with pro ones , maybe the new ones are better , maybe plugs are better , i haven't bothered in about a year , dont see myself bothering anytime soon , its not worth the effort , if you want serious race day tires you run tubs , if you want some amateur bank for buck hack try tubeless , i really dont care !
LOL. I guess I'm not a real racer, nor are the guys I'm racing against, nor are the pros who are increasingly moving to tubeless.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-25-20, 07:40 AM

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
On a somewhat related topic, I am/was considering Schwalbe Pro One TLEs (700x28) for my next set of tires. Checking pricing on biketiresdirect.com yesterday, many of the reviews mentioned how susceptible these tires are to punctures. I do not remember reading many reviews on other websites mentioning this issue, but now I am a bit concerned. Did biketiresdirect.com get a bad batch of tires, only sell to unlucky people, or are these tires really more prone to getting punctured easier than other tubeless tires?

Last edited by oldwinger14; 08-25-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
On a somewhat related topic, I am/was considering Schwalbe Pro One TLEs (700x28) for my next set of tires. Checking pricing on biketiresdirect.com yesterday, many of the reviews mentioned how susceptible these tires are to punctures. I do not remember reading many reviews on other websites mentioning this issue, but now I am a bit concerned. Did biketiresdirect.com get a bad batch of tires, only sell to unlucky people, or are these tires really more prone to getting punctured easier than other tubeless tires?
I had the same issues with those tires. The original Schwalbe One was a fantastic tire and I put thousands of miles on those before they came out with the updated version. I tried a couple sets of those but the puncture protection was terrible. When they came out with the tubeless version I gave those a try and had the same issues so I switched to Zipp Tangente and couldn't be happier with their performance. It's more of a race tire though so they do wear faster.
Old 08-25-20, 08:12 AM

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Thanks for the reply. I have read some good things about the Zipp Tangente tires but chose to focus on the Pro One TLE's rather than cloud up my mind with other choices. Based on your comments, though, I need to give them more focus.

Did you​ mount them yourself? If so, were they easy, or difficult to mount? I have Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels.
Old 08-28-20, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone! So far the pro ones have been working out for me. Running back tire at 75 and front tire at 60. I was told by a friend to try 50 front 50 back. Anyone heard anything good about the new pro ones with the addix race compound??
Old 08-30-20, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have read some good things about the Zipp Tangente tires but chose to focus on the Pro One TLE's rather than cloud up my mind with other choices. Based on your comments, though, I need to give them more focus.

Did you​ mount them yourself? If so, were they easy, or difficult to mount? I have Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels.
I have a set of Mavic Comete Pro Carbon's and I can mount them without tools and seat them with a regular track pump.
Old 08-30-20, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by BHG6
I have a set of Mavic Comete Pro Carbon's and I can mount them without tools and seat them with a regular track pump.
Thanks for the response. There are many reviews of tubeless tires, and they all seem to have an equal share of pro and con comments. Have you had the tires on your bike long enough to form an opinion on their ride comfort and puncture resistance?
Old 08-30-20, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the response. There are many reviews of tubeless tires, and they all seem to have an equal share of pro and con comments. Have you had the tires on your bike long enough to form an opinion on their ride comfort and puncture resistance?
I think I've been riding these tires for 5,000 miles, give or take, and so far, they're the tires that tick the boxes for me. They ride almost exactly like the tires that come with the Comete Pro's (Mavic Yksion Pro I think) but the puncture resistance is better in my experience. They're easier to find and just as easy to mount as well.
I've read a few reviews talking about blown out sidewalls but I haven't had any such issues and I'm a pretty big boy at 6'4/215.....and I was even heavier during the lockdowns But, it's something to be aware of....
Old 08-30-20, 04:00 PM

I think I've been riding these tires for 5,000 miles, give or take, and so far, they're the tires that tick the boxes for me. They ride almost exactly like the tires that come with the Comete Pro's (Mavic Yksion Pro I think) but the puncture resistance is better in my experience. They're easier to find and just as easy to mount as well.
I've read a few reviews talking about blown out sidewalls but I haven't had any such issues and I'm a pretty big boy at 6'4/215.....and I was even heavier during the lockdowns But, it's something to be aware of....
Sounds like I will get the Zipp Tangete tires next. My Kysrium Elite wheels also came with Yksion Pros. I like them too but always looking for something better.
Old 09-03-20, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
[QUOTE=bbbean;21658765]
Originally Posted by Toespeas

LOL. I guess I'm not a real racer, nor are the guys I'm racing against, nor are the pros who are increasingly moving to tubeless.
well the serious racers i know use tubs , there are plenty of people that use tubeless and have a great time , but on average tubeless road is the most pointless system , it might seal up some small pin holes and get you home on 50 psi but you will still have to seal the hole with a patch and it will still seep and weep , any real gash is not going to seal , you hit a half inch something in the road you are going to have to install a tube and good luck getting the bead back up if it unlocks , and good luck getting the tube in with plastic levers , and good luck not pinching the tube as you install it , the amount of issues tubeless creates in the long run is not worth the hassle , running latex would be easier , if you do one day races on your dedicated race day/ hard group ride wheels tubeless will be better at that situation , than putting 4k miles on them and expecting them to not have one issue over those miles !
Old 09-03-20, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I had the complete opposite experience. They were harder to mount than the Yksion Pro, which were a tough job themselves. There's zero chance these tires were going on without the help of tire levers. The rear tire seated with a co2 cartridge blast, but not the front.
Old 09-07-20, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
[QUOTE=Toespeas;21675459]
Originally Posted by bbbean
... tubeless road is the most pointless system , it might seal up some small pin holes and get you home on 50 psi
That's not a trivial thing, ESPECIALLY in a race, in bad weather, when you're on a tight schedule, etc. Throw in reduced rolling resistance and you have the reason tubeless works for so many riders.

Originally Posted by Toespeas
... putting 4k miles on them and expecting them to not have one issue over those miles !
Who said anything about not having one issue? I'm thrilled to have fewer issues.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-10-20, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I had the complete opposite experience. They were harder to mount than the Yksion Pro, which were a tough job themselves. There's zero chance these tires were going on without the help of tire levers. The rear tire seated with a co2 cartridge blast, but not the front.
Just installed a new rear tire yesterday. The only time I used a tire lever was to remove the old one....try gripping the top of the wheel with your fingers and using the palms of your hands to drag the bead of the tire over the edge of the rim. It's way easier than using your thumbs.
Old 09-10-20, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Sounds like I will get the Zipp Tangete tires next. My Kysrium Elite wheels also came with Yksion Pros. I like them too but always looking for something better.
Zipp Tangente sucks, rides like garden hose, they're thick. Good for rear wheel of a daily workhorse, not for a premium bike looking for premium feel.
Old 09-11-20, 09:22 AM

Just installed a new rear tire yesterday. The only time I used a tire lever was to remove the old one....try gripping the top of the wheel with your fingers and using the palms of your hands to drag the bead of the tire over the edge of the rim. It's way easier than using your thumbs.
I used this method when first trying to install the tire. I made sure the tire sat in the well and took any slack -that was available- out of the tire; I mounted in the direction of the valve. It was just an insanely tight fit. What ended up happening was, as I spooned the tire on -a little from each side- it reached a point of extreme tension and would not go on anymore. I got frustrated [and lucky] that the use of the tire lever, cantilevered under the center of the unmounted portion caused it to stretch just enough to snap on.

Even though it was insanely difficult to put on, the quality of the ride is pleasant enough to warrant the hassle. I assume the impossible-to-mount sidewall is what gives this tire it's reactive steering input. It's much better than the Yksion Pro tires I had before- much more confidence inspiring to rail a corner.
Old 09-11-20, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I used this method when first trying to install the tire. I made sure the tire sat in the well and took any slack -that was available- out of the tire; I mounted in the direction of the valve. It was just an insanely tight fit. What ended up happening was, as I spooned the tire on -a little from each side- it reached a point of extreme tension and would not go on anymore. I got frustrated [and lucky] that the use of the tire lever, cantilevered under the center of the unmounted portion caused it to stretch just enough to snap on.

Even though it was insanely difficult to put on, the quality of the ride is pleasant enough to warrant the hassle. I assume the impossible-to-mount sidewall is what gives this tire it's reactive steering input. It's much better than the Yksion Pro tires I had before- much more confidence inspiring to rail a corner.
What rims are you mounting them on? There doesn't seem to be any real standards for tubeless with the rare exception of Mavic's UST wheels and tires. The Yksion Pro's were the easiest ones I've mounted on my Comete Pro's but, they were designed to work together.
But the Yksions are hard to find, don't last very long, and have pretty poor puncture resistance (at least in my experience) and now the Tangentes are getting harder to find as well.

It looks like Schwalbe released a new version of the Pro One that uses a new compound and V-Guard instead of that crappy Microskin they used on the previous version. I loved the tubed Pro One's when they first came out but the tubeless version was terrible imho.
Might have to try the newest version of those once my Zipp's are done.
Old 09-12-20, 12:31 AM

What rims are you mounting them on? There doesn't seem to be any real standards for tubeless with the rare exception of Mavic's UST wheels and tires. The Yksion Pro's were the easiest ones I've mounted on my Comete Pro's but, they were designed to work together.
But the Yksions are hard to find, don't last very long, and have pretty poor puncture resistance (at least in my experience) and now the Tangentes are getting harder to find as well.
I mounted them onto my Mavic Comete rims. I also have Cosmic Pro rims. I've mounted 6 different Yksion pro tires onto my cosmic pro rims, and out of those only one of them mounted easily; the others all required tire levers. Your assessment of the Yksion pro tire is spot on otherwise.
Old 09-12-20, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tires on my Serotta are handmade glued up tires on cotton poly casings that you can see through if you hold them
Old 09-12-20, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Zipp Tangente sucks, rides like garden hose, they're thick. Good for rear wheel of a daily workhorse, not for a premium bike looking for premium feel.
It sounds like you are not a big fan of Zipp Tangente tubeless tire but offered no opinion on what you think are better choices. Can you provide more info beyond your criticism of the Zipps?
Old 09-13-20, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
It sounds like you are not a big fan of Zipp Tangente tubeless tire but offered no opinion on what you think are better choices. Can you provide more info beyond your criticism of the Zipps?
If you want a workhorse tires for daily duty, Tangente is ok, like I've said.
If you want a lighter and more importantly more supple tire, get Schwable Pro One or Vittoria Corsa (I believe). Or you can mix it up, Pro One / Vit Corsa on the front, Tangente for the rear.

The reason why the Tangente is so thich and hard is because it has a butyl layer on the inside, and it has very thick bead..and according to Zipp, you don't need sealand to make this tire seal. But the price to pay is a heavy and hard tire.

Thin and light weight tires ride better but don't last as long, don't seal as well, because there is less material.

Everything has its pro's and con's.

me personally, I would never use Tangente on a premium bike. When I hear Tangente, I think of Gatorskin kind of ride quality.
Old 09-13-20, 04:30 PM

Life is too short to ride on hard, slow heavy tires. The fun, fast and supple ones have gotten more durable, more puncture resistant and far cheaper online than they used to be. Excel Sports has two packs for 50% of retail. My picks would be in no particular order:

Veloflex Corsa EVO (harder to mount but worth the effort very fast and frisky tire)
Vittoria Corsa 2.0 regular or the heavier Control model (pretty easy to mount amazing stability and look fabulous)
Pirelli P Zero regular or 4S model (easiest to mount, fast and supple what you expect from a Pirelli product)
Conti 5000 (beware of mounting, fast but chattery, durable and can’t go wrong)
Vittoria Rubino Pro 2.0 (good inexpensive tires)

Of those the Contis, Rubinos and Pirellis will last the longest. The Pirellis are the goldilocks tire.
Old 09-13-20, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by aclinjury
If you want a workhorse tires for daily duty, Tangente is ok, like I've said.
If you want a lighter and more importantly more supple tire, get Schwable Pro One or Vittoria Corsa (I believe). Or you can mix it up, Pro One / Vit Corsa on the front, Tangente for the rear.

The reason why the Tangente is so thich and hard is because it has a butyl layer on the inside, and it has very thick bead..and according to Zipp, you don't need sealand to make this tire seal. But the price to pay is a heavy and hard tire.

Thin and light weight tires ride better but don't last as long, don't seal as well, because there is less material.

Everything has its pro's and con's.

me personally, I would never use Tangente on a premium bike. When I hear Tangente, I think of Gatorskin kind of ride quality.
Good comments....thanks. I originally was going to purchase Schwalbe Pro Ones but I read a few articles and postings by users that mentioned Pro Ones were very prone to punctures. That is what had me exploring other options and I ended up focusing on the Zipp Tangente. I do not know if Schwalbe has addressed this issue with their ADDIX compound now used in the latest iteration of Pro Ones.
Old 09-13-20, 04:56 PM

Good comments....thanks. I originally was going to purchase Schwalbe Pro Ones but I read a few articles and postings by users that mentioned Pro Ones were very prone to punctures. That is what had me exploring other options and I ended up focusing on the Zipp Tangente. I do not know if Schwalbe has addressed this issue with their ADDIX compound now used in the latest iteration of Pro Ones.
If puncture resistance is a priority then you might like Panaracers Race Series A or D. They are made in Japan and very strong tires without the baggage of highly puncture resistant tires. My buddy swears by them. I have never used them but I did see them unmounted and looked very well made. You would have to buy them online from PanaracerUSA.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 09-13-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

So far no issues/flats with the Pro ones! Running back at 75 and front 60. After all the debate I decided to carry Dynaplug only in my kit. We shall see how that plays out. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.