Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Much Work Do You Put Into Your Bike?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Much Work Do You Put Into Your Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 08:30 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think I washed my bike twice in twelve years and about 28,000KMs, I lube the chain when it starts to get loud and that's about it... Oh I replaced the chain once and the brake pads once...
You must not work urban stop and go traffic, do not ride during the winter, and ride only on flat ground. I wipe down, lube, and check my bicycle chain at least once or twice a month during the winter, and less during the summer, with the chain usually ending up being replaced once a year or less.
I now carry a chain breaker after having to make a long walk home with 60lbs of cargo aboard due to chain breakage. Brake pads basically get the same treatment, my rims are too expensive to get torn up by trying to get the last ounce of use out the brake pads.

Oh, I like to make a fashion statement with my bike, so it gets cleaned regularly.
Old 10-20-13, 09:21 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't need to work on my bikes very often because nothing ever goes wrong with them. All of my bikes are singlespeed or fixed gear, there is no maintenance except lubing a chain or replacing it when it's stretched. Things such as tires and brakepads last for a long time. I don't waste time or money giving my bike cosmetic beauty treatments.
Perhaps you can help me then, I have my first true fixed gear now (non conversion), when I set it up I was able to tension the chain to my liking with minimal slack and I was rewarded with zero drivetrain noise, the chain has slacked a bit now and makes a bit of noise so I retensioned it and lubed it up but the last two attempts I was unable to get the chain as tense as I would like so there's some noise.. how do you get yours to set well? I'd really love to have it permanently in place until the chain wears out as my carbon fiber saddle should be here soon.
Old 10-20-13, 11:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Perhaps you can help me then, I have my first true fixed gear now (non conversion), when I set it up I was able to tension the chain to my liking with minimal slack and I was rewarded with zero drivetrain noise, the chain has slacked a bit now and makes a bit of noise so I retensioned it and lubed it up but the last two attempts I was unable to get the chain as tense as I would like so there's some noise.. how do you get yours to set well? I'd really love to have it permanently in place until the chain wears out as my carbon fiber saddle should be here soon.
There are few different reasons for experiencing a chain slack on a fixie.
Everytime you ride the chain stretches a little and you will end up with a bit of slack, it all depends how much and how hard you ride. I need to tension my chain once per month.
Also make sure to keep the axle nuts real tight. I also recommend using chain tugs, they make chain tensioning a lot easier and prevent wheel slippage, in case the axle nuts are not tight enough.
Old 10-20-13, 12:00 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are few different reasons for experiencing a chain slack on a fixie.
Everytime you ride the chain stretches a little and you will end up with a bit of slack, it all depends how much and how hard you ride. I need to tension my chain once per month.
Also make sure to keep the axle nuts real tight. I also recommend using chain tugs, they make chain tensioning a lot easier and prevent wheel slippage, in case the axle nuts are not tight enough.
I actually solved the current issue, and I'm definitely going to look into getting a set of chaintugs so thank you very much for the suggestion! One more quick question and it's just a preference one, brakes or no for fixies on the street?
Old 10-20-13, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think I washed my bike twice in twelve years and about 28,000KMs, I lube the chain when it starts to get loud and that's about it... Oh I replaced the chain once and the brake pads once...
LOL!

I'm almost the same because the bus and train are my transportation vehicles. They are maintained by the city so my bikes are for enjoyment.

I'll admit, when I used to commute by bike, it took alot of work to keep it running because it was a folder. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a new mountain bike with slick wheels because an old bike in bad condition wears out fast.

I still think there's alot of unnecessary replacing of parts just for the sake of having new ones. I see people constantly thowing out OEM tires, brake pads and saddles off new bikes on this forum all the time. I like to wear out tires till they start balding from over use. I feel the same way about brake pads and saddles. (unless the saddle is horrible!)

Regardless, my bikes are only used one or twice a week in the sun with no rain or bad weather. I guess that's why they look so good!

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 10-20-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 01:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
One more quick question and it's just a preference one, brakes or no for fixies on the street?
For your own safety you should definetly have at least a front brake. Personally I have both front and rear.
90% of the time I stop and slow down by resisting the pedals, without using brakes, but I keep them on for emergency/panic stops. Skid stopping looks "cool" but it wears out the tires very fast and it takes much longer to skid stop in an emergency then in does using a brake.
Old 10-20-13, 01:58 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
and the rims about once every 18 months.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Holy Cow! Why?
A set of rims that are maintained well should last at least 15-20 k miles unless you are doing a lot of riding in poor conditions. Front wheel even more.

I'd be checking the rims ever quarter for cracks around the spoke nipple and excessive wear on the brake surface (if a rim brake...). And, of course, truing the wheels once or twice a year.

No point replacing it if it isn't broke.
Old 10-20-13, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I replace things when they wear out. I add oil or grease when needed. Today I replaced a chain. The rear wheel needs work but I just don't feel like messing with it now. It also needs a new rear tire. Next weekend I might get around to changing the tire and adjusting the spoke tension. I might even replace the rear brake pads. I keep some extras in my tool box. Bicycle maintenance is not a priority for me and never will be. Things wear out and get old. I can live with it.

When things go really bad I either get a new ride or rebuild the whole thing at once. One time a top tube disconnected from the head tube. That happened when a chain came off on a coaster brake bicycle and I ran into a wall. A friends dad welded it together for me.

Low end parts last a long time because they are heavy duty. Steel sprockets last a long time compared to alloy ones. I do wish belt drives would get into the marketplace at cheaper rates. I hate having greasy hands, especially if I must do something to the chain on the way to work or the grocery store.
Old 10-20-13, 05:23 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I still think there's alot of unnecessary replacing of parts just for the sake of having new ones. I see people constantly thowing out OEM tires, brake pads and saddles off new bikes on this forum all the time. I like to wear out tires till they start balding from over use. I feel the same way about brake pads and saddles. (unless the saddle is horrible!)
Most OEM tires, wheels, saddles, and brake pads are junk to begin with, but I don't throw them away, since they can be and have been used to help build or repair guest bikes that are used on a limited basis. I don't like to wait until components or tires are so worn that they become a liability on a commute... no fun trying to either repair a flat tire from being too thin on the tread, a broken chain that's well past it's prime or having a bad set of brakes, all during a winter storm.
Old 10-20-13, 05:36 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
Sure thing.

I haven't taken a photo of this bike in 2 years, so this is an older incarnation of the KoM from when I lived in the city. Maybe I'll dig out the camera and post some up to date pics tomorrow in the "what do you ride" thread. I have since switched to a regular Technomic stem and the Nitto Noodle bars, and no longer use the Ortlieb handlebar bag. I went with Sheldon Brown's solution for the Rohloff shifter with the drop bars, mounted to a sawed-off MTB bar end extension.

Closeup of the Rohloff OEM sliding dropouts on the Mercian frame:

Loaded for touring, again in its original form.

Love this bike.
That is one beautiful bike...
Old 10-20-13, 05:50 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Holy Cow! Why?
I replace the rims every 18 months or so because they just wear out, honest. It's not that uncommon in Seattle. It's wet nine months a year, grit sticks to things, there are steep hills everywhere, which means you're applying a lot of pressure on the brakes all day long, and, if you ride a lot, the result is that you burn through rims like they're made of butter. In an ideal world, I'd clean my rims after every wet ride (i.e., most rides), but I'm working 12-13 hours a day, so the best I can manage is about once a week. I've considered getting a bike with disc brakes, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bike I currently own (2008 LHT), and I'll be dead and long buried before that thing ever wears out...
Old 10-20-13, 07:02 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I replace the rims every 18 months or so because they just wear out, honest. It's not that uncommon in Seattle. It's wet nine months a year, grit sticks to things, there are steep hills everywhere, which means you're applying a lot of pressure on the brakes all day long, and, if you ride a lot, the result is that you burn through rims like they're made of butter. In an ideal world, I'd clean my rims after every wet ride (i.e., most rides), but I'm working 12-13 hours a day, so the best I can manage is about once a week. I've considered getting a bike with disc brakes, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bike I currently own (2008 LHT), and I'll be dead and long buried before that thing ever wears out...
One reason I prefer drum/roller brakes... weather proof. Also if the rim gets bit out of true it is a non issue. Sturmey-Archer makes a drum brake hub that takes cassettes. If I lived somewhere like Seattle drum brakes would be my first choice. I use roller brakes on my city bike, tour bikes still run canti's.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-20-13, 11:56 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
One reason I prefer drum/roller brakes... weather proof. Also if the rim gets bit out of true it is a non issue.
I prefer coaster brake IGH hubs for the same reasons; never needed to replace a rim, ever.
Old 10-21-13, 12:17 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I understood this right off... my wife's primary commuter would get new rims every 10,000 miles when she lived in Portland due to to rim wear as this kind of environment will cut a rim's life in half and this got better when we changed her brakes to Kool Stops. The original Tektro had a pretty good reputation for eating up rims.

Drum / coaster brakes have their pluses but they are not going to offer the same stopping power as rim brakes or disc brakes and disc brakes also require regular service.

Besides SA, there are not a lot of cassette options that come with a rear drum brake and some folks like a lot of range for those aforementikoned hills. I have one of these SA cassette / drum hubs I have been planning to use although the right project has not presented itself yet and I have a front drum hub to mate with that.

As it is, I don't do nearly as much to my bikes as people would think save for making sure the tyre pressure is adequate as once they have been built and properly set up they don't need much save fore regular maintenance.
Old 10-21-13, 12:18 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by wahoonc
One reason I prefer drum/roller brakes... weather proof. Also if the rim gets bit out of true it is a non issue. Sturmey-Archer makes a drum brake hub that takes cassettes. If I lived somewhere like Seattle drum brakes would be my first choice. I use roller brakes on my city bike, tour bikes still run canti's.

Aaron
If a rim goes out of true it is an issue... although it may not interfere with braking it does speak to an issue with the wheel.
Old 10-21-13, 12:57 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Drum / coaster brakes have their pluses but they are not going to offer the same stopping power as rim brakes...
I beg to differ about stopping power if the bike is ever used in a wet, snowy, slushy, or freezing environment. You being from Portland should recognize that fact.
Old 10-21-13, 01:05 AM
Been Around Awhile

...and some folks like a lot of range for those aforementikoned hills.
I don't think range is so important for handling steep hills in a city environment as much as having a low enough low gear. Any IGH can be set up with a very low gear with the proper selection of rear sprocket.

That always was the problem with so many ten speeds that were sold when derailler equipped bikes were first heavily promoted in U. S., the lowest gear was still too dang high for the average cyclist to handle steep hills. I understand that still may be a problem with many derailler equipped bikes sold to the public.
Old 10-21-13, 01:12 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I beg to differ about stopping power if the bike is ever used in a wet, snowy, slushy, or freezing environment. You being from Portland should recognize that fact.
I am from Canuckistan but spend a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest where snow is pretty uncommon... the water is usually liquid.

You make a good point in that hub brakes can offer better stopping power under some circumstances but I deal with wet, slushy, snowy, and colder than most people and rim brakes have always served me quite well.

There has been a lot of movement toward equipping bicycles with disc and hub brakes in the PNW as you get maximum stopping power out of discs and can preserve your rims which may only last a season if you are a high mileage commuter. For some a coaster brake might be limiting on it's own (I have always run a front brake with these) and hub brakes strength is that they offer decent stopping power on a consistent basis and have a long service life but don't match rim / disc brakes.

If it is just wet, rim brakes provide a lot of stopping power and there will be some degradation at extremely cold temperatures for some set ups... enclosed brakes are best when you have to deal with weather that cycles quickly between warmer and wetter and then colder and freezing.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Folks who ride fast in all conditions might be able to deal with rim wear because they need more braking performance than drum / coaster brakes provide... lots of these folks transition to disc brakes which are becoming pretty ubiquitous on a lot of entry level bicycles now.
Old 10-21-13, 09:21 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I don't find the drum/roller brakes to be limiting at all, there are some crappy ones out there on the market (Shimano IM-F41) that have "limiters" built in to keep you from locking the wheel. I use Shimano roller brakes on my big city bike, fully loaded I am pushing 350# rolling weight. But then again I rode on chrome steel rims with cheap brake pads for years...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-21-13, 05:47 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I replace the rims every 18 months or so because they just wear out, honest. It's not that uncommon in Seattle.
I understood this right off... my wife's primary commuter would get new rims every 10,000 miles when she lived in Portland due to to rim wear as this kind of environment will cut a rim's life in half and this got better when we changed her brakes to Kool Stops. The original Tektro had a pretty good reputation for eating up rims.
I never realized moisture would eat up a rim like that.

I do know that winter bikes (that pick up a lot of road salt) end up grooving pretty quickly.

Maybe I should move to salmon colored Kool Stops on my winter beater. I have a set on both summer commuters and the pads last a really long time.
Old 10-21-13, 07:45 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by gerv
I never realized moisture would eat up a rim like that.

I do know that winter bikes (that pick up a lot of road salt) end up grooving pretty quickly.

Maybe I should move to salmon colored Kool Stops on my winter beater. I have a set on both summer commuters and the pads last a really long time.
In Portland it is a nearly constant mix of water and grit that eats rims... winters here are generally much colder and rim wear is not nearly as bad when things stay below freezing.
Old 10-21-13, 10:42 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you have any suggestions for cantilever brakes besides Tektro? I've never been happy with them; they're very fussy on a daily basis, and changing brake pads is a major production involving a half dozen nested washers, or whatever they are, and God help you if you get them out of order...
Old 10-21-13, 10:50 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Do you have any suggestions for cantilever brakes besides Tektro? I've never been happy with them; they're very fussy on a daily basis, and changing brake pads is a major production involving a half dozen nested washers, or whatever they are, and God help you if you get them out of order...
I find Tektro brakes to be generally quite good, I am just not a fan of the brake pad material they were using and have always preferred Kool Stops since they were called Matthauser.

Shimano makes nice cantis in the CX50 and CX70 (105 and Ultegra level)... and the prices are reasonable.
Old 10-21-13, 11:10 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find Tektro brakes to be generally quite good, I am just not a fan of the brake pad material they were using and have always preferred Kool Stops since they were called Matthauser.

Shimano makes nice cantis in the CX50 and CX70 (105 and Ultegra level)... and the prices are reasonable.
I'll check these out; thank you...
Old 10-22-13, 12:44 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
In Portland it is a nearly constant mix of water and grit that eats rims... winters here are generally much colder and rim wear is not nearly as bad when things stay below freezing.
It's usually below freezing here, but they treat the roads with a blend of salt and sand that totally chews up a bike.

"Think Outside the Cage"