Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have I injured my quad? Is this muscle strain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-21, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My quad hurts strangely every time after biking for a certain amount of time (45-60 mins). It hurts sharply on a very small area on my right leg, only after I bike when I stretch my right leg or when I rub it a little bit. Otherwise it doesn't hurt at all on the day I rest or even a day after I trained, only when I press my leg firmly and directly to the hurting area that I could feel a very little pain deeply in my muscle. No swelling no bruising no redness. This keeps happening to me for a week and I couldn't train as long as I want.

Are these the signs of muscle strain? Please advise how long should I be resting, or can I still do some active recovering ride for 30-45 mins a day? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Skarawati; 12-05-21 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 11:50 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
See a bike mechanic or a doctor.

Old 12-06-21, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Sure sounds like a muscle tear to me. In the spring of 2019 at the gym I tore the right quad doing squats. Two years to heal, and only this fall has the right quad started to not feel tender to the touch. I never allowed it to rest completely, as I continued to ride, however I did stop doing squats, and will not resume them with heavy weights.
Seeing a doctor will likely be informative and is a good idea.
Old 12-06-21, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Sure sounds like a muscle tear to me. In the spring of 2019 at the gym I tore the right quad doing squats. Two years to heal, and only this fall has the right quad started to not feel tender to the touch. I never allowed it to rest completely, as I continued to ride, however I did stop doing squats, and will not resume them with heavy weights.
Seeing a doctor will likely be informative and is a good idea.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I might let it recover a bit along with doing some easy recovery rides, hope it wouldn't take too long.

It's been my first month for biking and I've been having a lot of fun. Taking a few weeks off is the last thing I want, lol.
Old 12-09-21, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skarawati
My quad hurts strangely every time after biking for a certain amount of time (45-60 mins). It hurts sharply on a very small area on my right leg, only after I bike when I stretch my right leg or when I rub it a little bit. Otherwise it doesn't hurt at all on the day I rest or even a day after I trained, only when I press my leg firmly and directly to the hurting area that I could feel a very little pain deeply in my muscle. No swelling no bruising no redness. This keeps happening to me for a week and I couldn't train as long as I want.

Are these the signs of muscle strain? Please advise how long should I be resting, or can I still do some active recovering ride for 30-45 mins a day? Thanks a lot.

If you believe the injury is serious and/or If you are too worried, please seek professional advise. And you may be prescribed an MRI,whhich can give enough details about the injury.
Old 01-02-22, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've got exactly the same injury in my left quad/hip flexor. It primary hurts on the upstroke, when riding with power or climbing a hill; and is really bothersome after a half hour. My background, a bit older now (57) but very seasoned cyclist. I just pulled something in my leg stepping up onto a 2' ledge this fall, something I should be able to do effortlessly. I didn't take it seriously at 1st, as at my age pretty much everything hurts anyway. But after returning after a complete stop for a month (for other reasons) I found now improvement at all; if not slightly worse. In reading, I've found this can be a common injury for cyclist due the repetitive nature of cycling; I probably had it coming on before I tore something on my step-up.
I haven't seen a doctor as I think the strain isn't so acute as to require surgery, so they would only prescribe PT. So I looked up PT for quad strains; pretty much gentle stretching of the glute (not so much the quad), with butt bridges, side leg raises, clam shells, donkey kicks (carefully; those pull my quad some). As winter is upon me now, also will be moving indoor to the trainer & can keep power down for lower intensity sessions.
A week into this; no change in my quad but interestingly the knee pain I've been having all year as all but completely vanished. However, it normally takes a month or two for PT to make a difference; so I'm going to stick with this for the winter.
That's my plan anyway; good luck
Likes For IronM:
Old 01-02-22, 03:06 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
See a doctor. Could be a lot of things, including a blood clot.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-03-22, 05:50 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Take rest for 2-3 days see how it improves.

Could be from number of reasons:

- Too much vitamin C, it will hurt you more than Covid in excess amounts
- Mashing big gears too much. Spin more, get smaller gears too
- Too high saddle
- Non-optimal technique - you must pedal like climbing stairs, not like kicking something on the wall. The symptom of the wrong technique is having big and strong-looking quads.

The "climbing stairs" pedaling technique distributes the effort better in your leg muscles so that the quads is not doing the majority of the work. The hamstrings and glutes will also be put to work if "climbing stairs" technique is done correctly.

Big quads is not a sign of bad anything. Your quad muscles are going to be doing the majority of the work, so size is going to vary widely depending on how much and how hard you ride. Also genetics. No one I've ever seen pedals like they're kicking a wall. Seriously, just stop with this. The stuff about being concerned with your quads getting too big is just straight up bad advice.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-03-22, 08:59 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6290 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,362 Posts
Not knowing your age or anything about your past history of working out and especially cycling, I to will say see a doctor.

Us old people sometimes have issues with blood clots in our legs and that's bad news if not caught. But I wouldn't think the quads would be where you feel pain from them. I'd think the calf and the femur biceps and that other muscle group on the backside of your femur. But I'm not a doctor or healthcare professional. So don't trust me.

If you are new to cycling, I might just think you are trying to push a big gear at a 30 rpm cadence for way too long. Pedaling should be very easy most of the time. Your hard efforts should come in shorter intervals where you use a lot of power.
Old 01-03-22, 06:18 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not knowing your age or anything about your past history of working out and especially cycling, I to will say see a doctor.

Us old people sometimes have issues with blood clots in our legs and that's bad news if not caught. But I wouldn't think the quads would be where you feel pain from them. I'd think the calf and the femur biceps and that other muscle group on the backside of your femur. But I'm not a doctor or healthcare professional. So don't trust me.

If you are new to cycling, I might just think you are trying to push a big gear at a 30 rpm cadence for way too long. Pedaling should be very easy most of the time. Your hard efforts should come in shorter intervals where you use a lot of power.

Unfortunately, I have a history of blood clots developing where they're supposedly never going to. One or more of them apparently started in my thigh and ended up migrating to my lungs, causing a small heart attack. The extreme localization of this pain is not typical of post-workout pain. I'm not saying it's a blood clot, but it could be that or some other localized injury.

It's a medical question, it's not a good question for an internet bicycling forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-03-22, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
See a doctor. Could be a lot of things, including a blood clot.
Or wearing underwear under chamois, or not shaving legs

gm
Old 01-03-22, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked 3,022 Times in 1,721 Posts
Big quads is not a sign of bad anything. Your quad muscles are going to be doing the majority of the work, so size is going to vary widely depending on how much and how hard you ride. Also genetics. No one I've ever seen pedals like they're kicking a wall. Seriously, just stop with this. The stuff about being concerned with your quads getting too big is just straight up bad advice.
How much and how hard you ride have almost no effect on quad size. In fact, if you look at the podium at the end of any major European stage race, you'll see that the professionals who are capable of winning and who do the most mileage in training look almost emaciated, including having small quads. Road and track sprinters can have very big quads, but they end up sprinters because of genetics, not because they're doing more or harder riding than the climbers.
Old 01-03-22, 09:45 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Trakhak
How much and how hard you ride have almost no effect on quad size. In fact, if you look at the podium at the end of any major European stage race, you'll see that the professionals who are capable of winning and who do the most mileage in training look almost emaciated, including having small quads. Road and track sprinters can have very big quads, but they end up sprinters because of genetics, not because they're doing more or harder riding than the climbers.

When you see the podium at the end of any major European stage race, you are looking at genetic exceptions just like you are with sprinters, and their quads generally are quite large in proportion to the rest of their bodies. See e.g.
https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...n-Vialatte.jpg

https://todaycycling.com/wp-content/...n-der-poel.jpg

https://www.letelegramme.fr/images/2...6x354p.jpg?v=1

The only parts of those bodies that aren't skinny are the quads.

In any event, the notion that big quads are a sign of bad pedaling "like kicking a wall" is absurd.

And yeah, I'd describe sprinting as a special kind of very hard riding. The stage race winners are, by the nature of the event, selectively smaller people for reasons of endurance, but if you're claiming that they don't get larger quads than they'd have if they didn't ride so much, I ain't buying it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-03-22 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-04-22, 05:18 AM
Tragically Ignorant

One of the best cyclist ever also had the most unremarkable looking legs, Eddy Merckx. His legs don't even look like that of an athlete.

He's doing the "climbing stairs" pedaling technique. Many in hill climb championships also do. That's why their quads are regular-looking

For many of us non-pros, it's a great technique to save the knees and quads from injury. The technique transfers some of the load from the quads into the hamstrings, glutes, and core muscles during the downstroke. Makes climbing a lot easier too.

So obviously, Peter Sagan doesn't know how to pedal:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uV3KdLgo4TY/maxresdefault.jpg

You claimed big quads are caused by bad pedaling. I'm not claiming all champion riders have big quads, only that that was a ridiculous assertion.

Hill climbers tend to be small guys. I'm not, so I really don't care what technique works for them.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you contrast to a stroke that looks like kicking a wall.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-04-22 at 05:25 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-04-22, 07:20 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,830 Posts
You claimed big quads are caused by bad pedaling. I'm not claiming all champion riders have big quads, only that that was a ridiculous assertion.
Yep.
Old 01-04-22, 07:42 AM
Tragically Ignorant

"Kicking" is the same as beginning the power stroke early like when you're trying to move the pedal forward from the 11 o'clock position, it uses the quads predominantly but with a large bend in the knee (because you're doing it at the top of the pedal stroke). Not totally bad if you're not hurting yourself but that's more strain for the knees and quads. Only one benefit is when you're trying to have bigger, nicer, looking quads, it's like working out in the gym at the same time your riding your bike.

Riders who pedal like it are trying to make torque at all positions of the pedal in a circle - "pedaling in a circle" technique is probably the better name for than "kicking a big spider in the wall" technique.

You can ofc, adapt to such pedaling technique and still be competitively fast and win racers. But you will be even faster with the same technique Eddy Merckx has used - if not, it will make harder efforts like climbing feel easier at the same speed. AT the very least, the "climbing stairs" technique will help you avoid injuries to the quads and knees.

Here's a bit of advice--people have all kinds of bodies, bicycles, routes, goals, knee conditions, fitness levels, muscle sizes, etc. It's really not helpful to insist that what works for you is the one ring that rules them all. You have no idea whether or not I or OP could be faster using another technique, or if OP's pain is at all related to one or another pedaling technique, And let's get serious--Eddy Merckx was sui generis, no one pedals like he did in the size of the gears he was using. Neither of us is Eddy Merckx, and I'm not sure he was without the PEDs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-04-22, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18491 Post(s)
Liked 15,789 Times in 7,414 Posts
Take rest for 2-3 days see how it improves.

Could be from number of reasons:

- Too much vitamin C, it will hurt you more than Covid in excess amounts

The symptom of the wrong technique is having big and strong-looking quads.
Are you purposefully doling out inaccurate information or grossly informed? I am going with the former.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-04-22, 10:06 AM

Vitamin C can potentially make worse muscle tears and since cycling activity can make very small tears in the muscles, Vitamin C can be bad.

Given the current Vitamin C hype due to Covid, it just might be one of many reasons for muscle injury.

https://news.ufl.edu/archive/2001/09...udy-shows.html
One 20 year old study. Impressive. NOT!

And I have heard of no such Vitamin C hype. Sure you are not confusing Vitamin C with horse de-wormer? I can see how you might.

I REALLY wish the mods would put an end to this.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-04-22, 11:09 AM

Except I got links to back up my statements.
Yet you cited a 20 year old "maybe" study.

Ya' got nothin'.

Time for me to get rid of you. Should have done it a long time ago. You and your socks cheapen this place. By a lot.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-04-22, 09:49 PM
Expired Member

ultracrepidarian

None of this has anything to do with OP (long gone) who has been cycling for only a month, 45-60 minutes a ride. He's hardly over training any body part.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 01-04-22 at 10:19 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-05-22, 08:01 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Nope, I'm pretty serious here.

Bike Physios calls it "Over-developed quads". They call it a problem if the quads is big and strong BUT the hamstrings and glutes are weak.
https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...ng-workouts-0/

Pedaling is not rotating exercise and suggest "high step up training" which fires the same muscle sequence as "climbing stairs" technique:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...le-body-389060

One more article about recruiting glutes in cycling:
https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...-build-glutes/

The common theme here is the glutes and core muscles. Not many experienced cyclists are able to recruit the glutes when pedaling sitted. It requires a certain mindset and I made it very simple. Just pedal like you're trying to stand up or climbing stairs.

A good off-bike exercise for muscle-memory training is box step up with or without weights.

So basically, you're making all this "climbing stairs" stuff up? Knock it off, you don't know what you're talking about. We don't know what you're talking about either, BTW. "Climbing stairs" while seated doesn't evoke anything in my head other than a chair lift. The articles are basically saying you should engage in some other activities besides cycling if you want to keep your muscles proportional, not one pedaling method is superior to another for preventing uneven muscle development.

You've found a pedaling method that seems to work better for you. You're doing a really poor job of describing it and you're making wild medical claims based on a sample of n=1. Your links don't support the medical claims you're making, you get no points for posting them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-05-22, 08:13 AM
Tragically Ignorant

He missed a lot by going off the thread so soon. He probably on the wrong technique and going too hard too soon as a newbie cyclist.

Complete BS. Please don't be one of too many self-appointed gurus on these forums who think they've got everything figured out. It just gets you put on ignore lists. And you're really annoying my big quads, healthy but not huge glutes and non-problematic hamstrings.

If OP needs to climb stairs to develop other muscles, I suggest OP find a flight of stairs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-05-22, 11:21 AM
Tragically Ignorant

It's not just me but many pros also do it. One way to tell someone's doing it is they move their torso side-to-side and over the downstroke leg while pedaling as they try to recruit as many muscle groups as possible to push the pedals down.

It's of greater benefit to pros as they are more likely to injure their muscles and knees with their huge power output.

I'm done with this. You're basically putting together some articles that don't say anything about this with your video interpretations of pros' pedal strokes and making claims about why they're doing what you claim they're doing. When I point out the articles don't say what you're claiming, all you do is come up with some other "evidence", this time too vague to check, for your preposterous claims about some great danger to be avoided.

At most, all you're going to be able to prove is that this particular stroke seems to work for some (you're not even claiming most) pros. This has nothing to do with OP, who gives no indication he's riding like a pro, has a body build like a pro (you sound like you might, btw) or anything else other than he gets a weird very localized pain after a 45 minute ride.

If you want to continue with this nonsense, start your own thread in Nutrition & Training. I'm sure the people there will love to take you apart. Be sure to start with "big quads are a bad thing because...." Should be a big hit. Myself, I'm going to be too busy scraping off quad muscle with a putty knife to respond further.
Old 01-05-22, 04:43 PM
Expired Member

Since OP is long gone, maybe this could be closed to stop the nonsense.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-15-23, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there - Wondering what came of this, as I believe I'm in a similar situation. I ride a ton - centuries often, doubles sometimes - and recently felt quad pain flare up after a small change in my bike fit. I got a new fitting, and have taken time off, but the pain is still there - don't feel it when I ride at first, then do after an hour, and definitely do later in the day/the next day.

Reading around about this, it sounds like this might be a fascia tear/injury, in which case heat is the way to go?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.