Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease for Silca Pista Leather Cup

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Grease for Silca Pista Leather Cup

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
silca floor pump maintenance

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've read somewhere not to use any petroleum based lubes in/on pumps. I bought my Silca floor pump in the early 80s. I've used it at least once a week. I use Neatsfoot oil on the cup and I don't ever remember replacing it. I know I had to clean out the check valve once.
Thanks, I will have to try this, as I understand the cheap 3 in one mineral oil might weaken the leather

and the main pump chamber lube will be old vaseline spread on the exterior of the cup, to smear inside main pump tube

and for fastening the nut on cleaned threads, I will use blue threadlocker to help keep bolt on, as it tends to loosen over time, so after all this, I want my Silca back to its powerful pumping action so it can handle pumping tires to velodrome pressures again
Thanks for all good input
Jack
Old 03-26-20, 01:57 AM

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Silva currently sells a light synthetic oil for this, rather than a grease. You might want to check out what it is and use something similar.