Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've been owner and operator of restaurants also. I'm not sure why you raise that franchise vs corp point though, because franchises set their own policies other than certain contractual requirements that keep operations and quality more uniform. I don't see how that supports your two reasons for the policy, unless it's contractual - and the fact that it is NOT contractual in any franchise agreement that I've ever heard of is one of the reasons I highly doubt it.
I mentioned it for two reasons:

1. That blaming McDonalds in this case probably isn't even fair since the policy at place at this specific restaurant was not set by McDonalds Corp. As you probably know, there are virtually no corporate-owned McDonalds restaurants.
2. That such a policy exists across such a broad breadth of the fast food industry and this policy is probably not set, in most cases, by the parent corporations but instead by thousands of individual franchisees both large and small might just indicate that maybe, just maybe, this is widely regarded as industry best practice. Hint: it is.

No, I disagree strongly, and I do realize my reasons for it
All you did was cite another reason why these policies are in place, partially, as a means of robbery prevention. You are welcome to debate this point all you want but I am correct.

You then suggested that it was to mitigate dashing, which as at least one other person pointed out, is fairly unlikely based on the way fast food drive-thrus typically operate nowadays. I eat more fast food than I should and always notice when I am given my food before making payment. The reason I notice is that it is exceedingly rare (and also almost certainly a violation of store policy as well) in single window drive-thrus. In the very common double drive-thru configuration, it is pretty much impossible, even on a bicycle.
Old 06-18-18, 04:53 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,952 Posts
checkers has a walk up ordering window that is covered by an awing near me. McD has not caught on to that yet?

Im by far not a fastfood guy, but the accommodations to such convenience would turn up the revenue imo.
Old 06-18-18, 05:20 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jfoobar
You then suggested that it was to mitigate dashing, which as at least one other person pointed out, is fairly unlikely based on the way fast food drive-thrus typically operate nowadays.

I eat more fast food than I should and always notice when I am given my food before making payment. The reason I notice is that it is exceedingly rare (and also almost certainly a violation of store policy as well) in single window drive-thrus. In the very common double drive-thru configuration, it is pretty much impossible, even on a bicycle.
Well, I disagree with that other person also. It is often sitting in the window, or just inside. Arms length away. It's not just about grabbing the food - it's about *anything* that you might be doing, even just hanging around. The license tag identifies you.

If you've been a restaurant manager for a while, you know that you can't actually tell people that. It's insulting, bad for business. You'll tell them something plausible and vague, such as "it's policy" and "for liability reasons", and almost always they accept that no matter how dumb it is.

All you did was cite another reason why these policies are in place, partially, as a means of robbery prevention. You are welcome to debate this point all you want but I am correct.
Why do you believe that, seriously? You haven't cited any credible reason for it either, other than having been a manager.
Old 06-18-18, 10:33 PM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pepem
they did you a favor. Go to a better place.
+1
:d
Old 06-18-18, 10:36 PM

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
McDonalds in Long Island City Queens used to have a sign specifically allowing walk-up customers at the drive through window at certain hours when the restaurant was not open to customers. I got the sense they opened early to get commuter traffic but didn't want to have enough staff on hand to make the building secure for indoor transactions. No idea if it's still true. Don't remember if they had the whole air-lock security drawer thing going on but probably.

I actually saw some sign with a sort of rope or bell or something on a bike trail up in Putnam county behind a food business of some sort implying you could order from the trail there, which seemed kind of cool. Didn't really feel like interrupting my ride to investigate and it looked a little disused anyway. Wish there was more of that though.
Old 06-19-18, 12:16 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Folder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked at McDonald's for years. We don't serve bikes in the drive through for the same reason we don't serve walk-ups, it's too easy for someone to grab the till or the employee.
We could give a rip about you getting run over.
Old 06-19-18, 01:03 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This has been discussed quite a few times or maybe it's because it's a two year old zombie thread, please close it?

You aren't going to be served on a bike in the drive thru:

a. If you pull a weapon and commit a robbery, etc. there aren't aas many ways to identify you.
You don't have plates, they probably don't know your bike other than the color so they assume you are a theft risk.
b. Somebody can plow into you and kill you because you are invisible at McDonald's too.
c. You have no protection it you are otherwise assaulted and heaven forbid it's a bad neighborhood.

If it's closed inside, find another source for a meal.

It boils down to safety. Theirs even more than yours.
Old 06-19-18, 02:50 AM

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
....You aren't going to be served on a bike in the drive thru: .
Huh? What would make you say that. I mean it's not as though it was something written in stone. It's just a stupid rule ( you fool ). Rules were made to be broken or changed. Sure, it may not happen today or maybe not even in my lifetime but somewhere along the line it will change because at some point people just realize how stupid and lame all of the excuses are for not allowing it. The next thing you know all the fast food places are doing ads with people on bikes riding up to the drive thru's with big smiles plastered on their faces. It just takes time for the stupid people who make these stupid rules to either die out or for someone else less intellectually challenged to open up a new place and figure out a way to do it without all the hassle.

a. If you pull a weapon and commit a robbery, etc. there aren't aas many ways to identify you.
You don't have plates, they probably don't know your bike other than the color so they assume you are a theft risk.
b. Somebody can plow into you and kill you because you are invisible at McDonald's too.
c. You have no protection it you are otherwise assaulted and heaven forbid it's a bad neighborhood.

If it's closed inside, find another source for a meal.

It boils down to safety. Theirs even more than yours.
My response to the above a-thur-c
a.) lame excuse #1 . Why, are they blind? Most places have cameras everywhere. Easier to rob someone if you have a car IMO and with cars and you get a faster get-away. ( No worry about plates if you use stolen plates ) Guy on bike tries to rob a place and then has to carry a bunch of cash on a bike and a gun and then hope like hell he can outrun the cops....good luck with that.

b) lame excuse #2 ; Now that's a real eye opener. Since I'm invisible I should be able to ride my bike right into a bank and just ride out with as much money as I can hold. While this is an interesting theory I have no intention of trying it out myself...but by all means, if you truly believe this, let me know if this works for you.

c) lame excuse #3 ; Personally I don't normally ride through bad neighborhoods but even if I did I doubt I'd stop for food in that kind of neighborhood even if I was in a car. That said I'm more at risk just riding my bike down the street that standing at a fast food window. Now if there really was that much of a risk of being robbed while at a given fast food restaurant, I would expect the store manager to hire a full time guard just to make sure that there was some kind of deterrent. Now before you scoff at the idea think about all the stores that have guards. I see them all the time.
Old 06-19-18, 04:34 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
checkers has a walk up ordering window that is covered by an awing near me. McD has not caught on to that yet?

Im by far not a fastfood guy, but the accommodations to such convenience would turn up the revenue imo.
Do you seriously think that Checkers has anything significant to teach the McDonald organization about "turning up the revenue?" McD needs to "catch up" to Checkers and their awnings?
Old 06-19-18, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
With new high-res cameras, one should be able to identify any robbers (perhaps a policy of no hoodies & balaclavas?

Of course, identifying a robber isn't the same as preventing the robbery, but identifying robbers would help get them off the streets.

Some places like coffee kiosks generally welcome walk-ups and ride-ups, without getting robbed by everyone that passes by, or getting their driveways covered by roadkill. Nor are the employees standing behind 6" of bullet proof glass and delivering coffee through bank drawers.

Of course, many of them have no choice, go to the window, or don't buy coffee. Those with lots of walk-ups might add a third walk-up window.

And, I think that is the real issue. They think the flow of food and services would be best by getting the cyclists inside, Inconvenient or not for the cyclists. Place to lock the bikes or not? "Safe" for the cyclists or not.

Of course, they don't consider the safety of cyclists including not getting their property damaged or stolen, or critical safety equipment disabled.
Old 06-19-18, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I find it strange this thread has gone on as long as it has... I mean, I don't have a dog in this fight because I rarely eat fast food, and when I do it's not McDonald's. I'd think most other cyclists are a bit health conscious too and wouldn't eat the calorie-laden crap at McD's.
Old 06-19-18, 07:17 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
With new high-res cameras, one should be able to identify any robbers (perhaps a policy of no hoodies & balaclavas?
Of course, they don't consider the safety of cyclists including not getting their property damaged or stolen, or critical safety equipment disabled.
You do realize folks who wear hoodies and folks who actually cover their face, like snowmobiles and motorcyclists, find those rule as ridiculous as you find no bikes in the drive thru, right?

As far as equipment being stolen, I have never been worried that in the couple minutes I stop off a McDonald's for an ice cream, someone is going to steal the bike I can look at through that big picture window nearly every one has.

This has been discussed quite a few times or maybe it's because it's a two year old zombie thread, please close it?
Never understood these comments. There are plenty of threads I simply don't click on, because they don't interest me.
Old 06-19-18, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
a.) lame excuse #1 . Why, are they blind? Most places have cameras everywhere. Easier to rob someone if you have a car IMO and with cars and you get a faster get-away. ( No worry about plates if you use stolen plates ) Guy on bike tries to rob a place and then has to carry a bunch of cash on a bike and a gun and then hope like hell he can outrun the cops....good luck with that.
License plates reveal a lot more information than a picture of a partially obscured face. And, as mentioned numerous times, me pulling a gun and grabbing an employee through a window is far easier with me standing there than me trying to do it out of a car window.

b) lame excuse #2 ; Now that's a real eye opener. Since I'm invisible I should be able to ride my bike right into a bank and just ride out with as much money as I can hold. While this is an interesting theory I have no intention of trying it out myself...but by all means, if you truly believe this, let me know if this works for you.
Reductio ad absurdum generally indicates no valid argument to the point being made. Everyone here knows what "invisible" WRT cyclists means.

c) lame excuse #3 ; Personally I don't normally ride through bad neighborhoods but even if I did I doubt I'd stop for food in that kind of neighborhood even if I was in a car. That said I'm more at risk just riding my bike down the street that standing at a fast food window. Now if there really was that much of a risk of being robbed while at a given fast food restaurant, I would expect the store manager to hire a full time guard just to make sure that there was some kind of deterrent. Now before you scoff at the idea think about all the stores that have guards. I see them all the time.
A guard isn't doing much for a cyclist out back of the store by the drive thru menu, he is a deterrent for inside the store, where pedestrians and cyclists should be. Surely you can see the difference in protection between an enclosed vehicle with locked doors and the ability to quickly get away and you sitting on a bike.
Old 06-19-18, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18495 Post(s)
Liked 15,796 Times in 7,418 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Man, so many posts in this thread you would think it was the dead of winter, not prime riding season.
We are now into the realm of equine corpse abuse.
Old 06-19-18, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We are now into the realm of equine corpse abuse.
I was thinking more the realm of "Stupid gits"
Old 06-19-18, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen at least one person walk through the drive-thru and get served LoL.
Old 06-19-18, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
You do realize folks who wear hoodies and folks who actually cover their face, like snowmobiles and motorcyclists, find those rule as ridiculous as you find no bikes in the drive thru, right?
We could quickly get banished into the politic/religious realm for discussing facial coverings. And, I suppose a hoodie is less covering than a sombrero, if the camera is poorly situated.

But, unless it is -30 out, then there is no reason not to uncover one's face when dealing with others.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
As far as equipment being stolen, I have never been worried that in the couple minutes I stop off a McDonald's for an ice cream, someone is going to steal the bike I can look at through that big picture window nearly every one has.
Isn't that like saying the neighborhood is safe enough to leave a stack of 10 (or 20 or 30) Ben Franklins on the sidewalk outside in full view of the employees.

If the restaurant is willing to do that, then I'll buy the argument that I should leave my valuables unattended outside.
Old 06-19-18, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
But, unless it is -30 out, then there is no reason not to uncover one's face when dealing with others.
Sure, but that is like me saying there is no reason you need to take a bike through a drive thru. If motorcyclists don't want to take off their helmets, why should they be compelled?

FWIW, I don't mind rules saying faces should be uncovered or that you can't have bikes in drive thrus. Simply pointing out that you have no problem imposing rules others don't like, while arguing restrictions on your activity should be removed because you don't like it.

If the restaurant is willing to do that, then I'll buy the argument that I should leave my valuables unattended outside.
Your bike is a vehicle. Plenty of people leave plenty of vehicles outside in the lot, it is the norm. If the rule was no smartwatches in the store, and they wanted to make you leave it on a table outside, then yes your money on the table analogy would be correct. There is no obligation on the part of a business to allow you to use your vehicle on their property how you wish.

If you want to argue that fast food joints should have adequate parking for bikes, that is an argument I'll agree with, but this thread is about not wanting to park a bike outside whatsoever. I don't know where everyone else rides, but I go through some not nice areas, I'm nowhere near paranoid as many here about bike theft for five minutes off it when I can pretty much watch it anyhow.

Heck, it is far easier to steal off my roof rack than when it is parked outside, and I leave it on top my car in the exact same fast food parking lots without a bit of concern.
Old 06-19-18, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7075 Post(s)
Liked 11,154 Times in 4,763 Posts
I've taken my bike inside plenty of businesses...I don't think anyone has ever said a word to me about it. So there is an option.

PS: McDonald's sells poison. If they won't serve you, you should thank them.
Old 06-19-18, 10:50 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I ate a Quarter Pounder and small fries yesterday. I walked in.

Just felt like saying that.
Old 06-19-18, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
There are no bad food. Only bad choices of over eating.
Old 06-19-18, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
if it had been Chik-fila they would have chased you down to give you an ice cream
Old 06-19-18, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
1. Many fast food restaurants have the same policy of no walk-ups at the drive-through.
2. While it may be exasperating to the cyclist, it's their property and their rules.
3. Debating it here is not going to cause any fast food places to abandon the policy.
4. The End.
Old 06-19-18, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
@BlazingPedals
Except that there's law against descrimination in restuarants.
So far, the argument by resturaanteurs have convinced me there's no descrimaintion against a certain class of people going on here and there is a genuinely need to refuse service based on public safety.
Otherwise.
Old 06-19-18, 01:05 PM

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
1. Many fast food restaurants have the same policy of no walk-ups at the drive-through.
2. While it may be exasperating to the cyclist, it's their property and their rules.
3. Debating it here is not going to cause any fast food places to abandon the policy.
4. The End.
People on a bicycle are not walk ups.
Tell a cop when you run a stop sign you were a walk up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.