Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 09:10 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
i need to be more selective with my chases in the 123..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3q0pN0a23g&t=2s
Seems like you all were going so fast at that point that even closing that "little" gap was really hard.. sometimes you need to be the one to close it, sometimes you need to wait for someone else do close it.. hard to know at the time, gotta just try stuff and see what works.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

my race videos
Old 06-04-17, 06:23 AM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
Nice finish! Congrats!
Old 06-04-17, 01:25 PM
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Nice finish! Congrats!
thanks!

Originally Posted by mattm
Seems like you all were going so fast at that point that even closing that "little" gap was really hard.. sometimes you need to be the one to close it, sometimes you need to wait for someone else do close it.. hard to know at the time, gotta just try stuff and see what works.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
in the end, I clearly picked the wrong wheel to follow. throughout the race though, these guys would attack and there would be a huge group up front, and it was hard to tell whether that breakaway is going to stick or not. as you can see, this happens 5-10 times. I tried to respond to as many as I can, riding up with people who are attempting to bridge. But in the end, none of this was necessary. I saw people in the end who just stayed with the pack, and didn't have to do any work. I suppose this is why teammates are so important
Old 06-07-17, 12:09 AM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
This got posted over on red dit. I can't figure out wtf is going on here.

edit: apparently the name of that website is censored here..
Old 06-07-17, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I can't figure out wtf is going on here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramming
Old 06-07-17, 01:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
What the actual f
Old 06-07-17, 05:24 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah man, I've seen exactly that happen, in the 4 field at the now-defunct Hunter Classic. One racer got fed up with another guy for whatever reason and totally lost his head, and rammed himself into the pack like a bowling ball, taking out the guy he was mad at and other people and himself. The bowling ball guy is now a domestic pro.
Old 06-07-17, 05:27 AM
**** that

i bet Wrecking Ball caught a tire on a manhole cover or something, not on purpose.
Old 06-07-17, 05:39 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha I know the guy who took the video .. that had to be at the OKC pro am this weekend.

Originally Posted by Guy In Race
There is (was) a concrete "elephant turd" there. The rider hit it, lost control, and hit the other rider. Some people went over later and removed the turd with sledgehammers.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-07-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
^ that reminds me of a t-town incident (on purpose) between Carney and Lakatosh. The incident caught my eye because at first glance it looked really bad for Lakatosh. Then I studied the clip and it looks like Carney sucked him in, dove down on his front wheel to get him to balk (which on a track bike is not really good). Carney uses that chopping move to launch his own jump, moving well up the banking. When another rider threatens to get underneath him he dives down the banking, taking out the other rider. I understand that Carney could plead ignorance, but even I'd be extremely aware of stuff like that. In a crit I'd never make those kinds of moves, and a good rider (much better than me), an ultra tactical rider to boot, would be much more aware of the implications of every inch he veers from a regular line. Lakatosh intentionally and blatantly takes out Carney in return.

3:15 in, if the time thing doesn't work. At about 3:18 he draws in and chops Lakatosh's wheel (he looks back twice, which I'm sure was his excuse for veering off line, but I'm sure he could do it perfectly fine without veering), then at about 3:24 he dives down the track just as someone gets into view (and it appears he was looking down to look back just as he dove down).

"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 06-07-17 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
i bet Wrecking Ball caught a tire on a manhole cover or something, not on purpose.
Based on my study in slo-mo....he sees the manhole cover and moves to avoid it. He could have easily gone to the right of it, but for some reason veers sharply left to avoid it. And doesn't see the guy to his left. He never actually touches any part of the manhole cover.

I think what we have here is horrible bike handling and even worse decision making. He'd have been fine just rolling over the manhole cover. Or moving slightly to his right.

Never make sudden sharp movements in a group!

I guess this is a Cat 3 race, right? He should know better.
Old 06-08-17, 11:43 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Based on my study in slo-mo....he sees the manhole cover and moves to avoid it. He could have easily gone to the right of it, but for some reason veers sharply left to avoid it. And doesn't see the guy to his left. He never actually touches any part of the manhole cover.

I think what we have here is horrible bike handling and even worse decision making. He'd have been fine just rolling over the manhole cover. Or moving slightly to his right.

Never make sudden sharp movements in a group!

I guess this is a Cat 3 race, right? He should know better.
The answer is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/19636935-post2734.html

my race videos
Old 06-09-17, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
is there any evidence for "elephant turd" in the video? I didn't notice any.
Old 06-09-17, 11:25 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
is there any evidence for "elephant turd" in the video? I didn't notice any.
Just guessing, but there's something in the road in about the right place at the lower right here. The rider directly in front of the camera initially reacted to the wrecking ball guy when wrecking ball guy was there, roughly.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-09-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 09:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Merrick Bicycles Criterium Race 5

This is race 5 of the Merrick Bicycles Criterium Friday night Series - Enjoy!

Old 06-11-17, 12:26 AM
**** that

(not my) video from today's Dash for Cash p/1/2:

my race videos
Old 06-13-17, 01:18 AM
**** that

My video from the same race as above, Dash for Cash p/1/2:

my race videos
Old 06-13-17, 05:49 AM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
They're not my videos so I won't post them, but Ryan Aitcheson has some really great videos on youtube of some big time crits; front and rear views and he's nearly always in the mix in the finale. He just posted one of the last four laps of Tulsa Tough. It's really good to see what's happening in the close-out of some of America's hardest crits.
Old 06-13-17, 06:49 AM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
^ that reminds me of a t-town incident (on purpose) between Carney and Lakatosh. The incident caught my eye because at first glance it looked really bad for Lakatosh. Then I studied the clip and it looks like Carney sucked him in, dove down on his front wheel to get him to balk (which on a track bike is not really good). Carney uses that chopping move to launch his own jump, moving well up the banking. When another rider threatens to get underneath him he dives down the banking, taking out the other rider. I understand that Carney could plead ignorance, but even I'd be extremely aware of stuff like that. In a crit I'd never make those kinds of moves, and a good rider (much better than me), an ultra tactical rider to boot, would be much more aware of the implications of every inch he veers from a regular line. Lakatosh intentionally and blatantly takes out Carney in return.

3:15 in, if the time thing doesn't work. At about 3:18 he draws in and chops Lakatosh's wheel (he looks back twice, which I'm sure was his excuse for veering off line, but I'm sure he could do it perfectly fine without veering), then at about 3:24 he dives down the track just as someone gets into view (and it appears he was looking down to look back just as he dove down).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGnLDr6jRSI?t=3m23s
FWIW, as a trackie, that's not how I interpret Carney's moves, and it has to do with fundamentals of movement on a track.

At 3.18, Carney isn't obligated to stay in the sprint lane, and since he'll have to pass over the top of the rider in front of him, he's keeping his forward/right exit from his box open. That's to be expected - in track racing, especially keirin sprinting, people defend the lateral space they'll need to go forward. Since most sprinters in most situations like Lakatosh's would never dive under Carney to open his sprint (pure desperation move, sprinting into a box), Carney's not chopping Lakatosh's wheel there.

When Barczewski crashes, Carney is going wide around the guy in front of him to force anybody trying to come around to sprint even wider, and then he's sweeping downtrack at the right moment to take the sprinter's lane (as is his right) with extra speed from the banking. This is what people do. He goes a little bit high, but there's nobody on his hip and he's not hooking anybody up the track.

What I don't see is the door to Carney's inside left open for long enough for somebody in Barczewski's position to reasonably think they can shoot that gap on a track, knowing what's about to come (Carney has control of the inside, even if he's not in the sprinter's lane. You expect to go around the outside). What I do see is Barczewski riding a close wheel, Carney possibly losing a hair of speed due to flicking uptrack or looking around before committing to a final acceleration, and an overlap of wheels. Check out the slow-mo that starts at 4.18 - you can see Barczewski already overlapping wheels and starting to fall uptrack even as Carney begins his uptrack flick: he's not suckered inside and then chopped.

FWIW, of all the complaints filed about this incident, Berczowski didn't file a complaint against Carney for his ride in the race.
Old 06-13-17, 11:07 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
They're not my videos so I won't post them, but Ryan Aitcheson has some really great videos on youtube of some big time crits; front and rear views and he's nearly always in the mix in the finale. He just posted one of the last four laps of Tulsa Tough. It's really good to see what's happening in the close-out of some of America's hardest crits.
Yeah Ryan's vids are great, I see them on FB from time to time.

Some sketchy riding in there - no necessarily by him, but those are some scary videos!

my race videos
Old 06-13-17, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
FWIW, as a trackie, that's not how I interpret Carney's moves, and it has to do with fundamentals of movement on a track.
I watched it about 1000 times when it was new and came to the same conclusions. Barczewski is overlapped by a tire width or two and still moving uptrack when Carney has started back down. B should have a) not been overlapped and b) been planning to go around the outside of Carney anyway because he was going to get pinched if he tried to go under (and would have needed a whole lot more instant speed to draw even fast enough to even do that).
Old 06-13-17, 02:54 PM
**** that

From Masters nats 35-39 a few weeks ago:

Not my vid, but I'm in it quite a bit. The rain starts at about 1:00.. I remember it being heavier rain, but I think it doesn't really show that well in the video.

Still working on mine, but the last 10 mins go cut off.. which of course were the best 10 mins of the video!

my race videos
Old 06-13-17, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
It was neat seeing a video of the town where I used to live.

For any of you architecture fans, the depressed parking lots in the middle of broad street, and the weird triangle shaped section on top of the tall building were both designed by IM Pei, the same guy who designed the big glass pyramid for the Louvre. He also designed Augusta's arena and the Chamber of Commerce building, also in the middle of Broad Street.

Another bit of trivia, the building on the left that was a block before the start finish line was built by Ty Cobb for his daughter. At some point it became a brothel, but is now an apartment building.

And did you stop by Woodrow Wilson's boyhood home or see the haunted column?
Old 06-13-17, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
I watched it about 1000 times when it was new and came to the same conclusions. Barczewski is overlapped by a tire width or two and still moving uptrack when Carney has started back down. B should have a) not been overlapped and b) been planning to go around the outside of Carney anyway because he was going to get pinched if he tried to go under (and would have needed a whole lot more instant speed to draw even fast enough to even do that).
Even if it were a normal race, Carney rode it pretty straight, but considering it's a Keirin, I can't see anyone legitimately complaining about the way he rode it. I'm always amazed that they let Laky race their again, but local riders and all...
Old 06-13-17, 11:57 PM
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
It was neat seeing a video of the town where I used to live.

For any of you architecture fans, the depressed parking lots in the middle of broad street, and the weird triangle shaped section on top of the tall building were both designed by IM Pei, the same guy who designed the big glass pyramid for the Louvre. He also designed Augusta's arena and the Chamber of Commerce building, also in the middle of Broad Street.

Another bit of trivia, the building on the left that was a block before the start finish line was built by Ty Cobb for his daughter. At some point it became a brothel, but is now an apartment building.

And did you stop by Woodrow Wilson's boyhood home or see the haunted column?
Wow, I had no idea!

The downtown reminded me of Montgomery, AL - depressed and depressing. Augusta has more "soul" though, Montgomery always seemed really generic with no real style.

Augusta seemed like it was at one point a cool place, then the money left. Or maybe it just move out to the 'burbs.

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.