Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does 8 speed feel more solid than 9 speed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does 8 speed feel more solid than 9 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 11:08 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
8 and 9 speed feel the same to me, and neither "skip between the gears" (or have any other issues) once properly adjusted. I've never had 10 or more. I already knew they cost more... now that I know they are unreliable to boot I will continue to avoid.
Old 05-13-20, 11:18 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
For Shimano RD's, they all use the same pull ratio up to 10 speed. Therefore, any 6-10 speed Shimano RD is interchangeable worth any other one (with a couple of pretty obscure exceptions). But Shimano, being the wizards they are at making older equipment obsolete, are hard at work with various 11 speed incompatibilities, disc brakes, DI2, and beyond. Not interested.

So 10 speed is as far as I will go with Shimano, I think. After all I have a whole fleet to take care of.
Old 05-13-20, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Comparing my 8 speed bike to my 9 speed it does feel like the 8 speed is slightly more solid.

the thicker chain and more spacing between gears means that it shifts better and doesn’t skip between gears. The chain has never fallen off of the 8 speed while the 9 speed has had numerous chain falls and even a chain breakage.

I imagine that 10 and 11 speed are even worse.
Not at all! My 10 speed Tiagra 4600 triple setup is rock solid both front and rear and makes very little noise on shifting. It is the quietest shifting bike I have owned (granted it my FIRST STI bike, as the others were 5-speed freewheel bikes.)
Old 05-13-20, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Conceding that an 11-speed drive train might require maintaining proper alignment of the hanger, the difference in maintenance time from a 7-, 8-, 9-, or 10-speed drive train is unlikely to run to more than 10 minutes or so every couple of years, if that.

So: to keep any derailleur-equipped bike, ancient or modern, running more or less perfectly, keep an eye on the condition of the chain and cables (wear, lubrication, and cleanness), align the dropout (once), and try not to crash. Don't, and you don't get to blame the bike's drive train: it's operator error.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-13-20 at 11:50 AM.