Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have not ridden around Boston at all really, This is my 2nd year back on a bike in 20 years. I am training for a Boston to provinctown run in June and I am sure I will be riding in the city this spring. I owned a construction company for a long time, I specialized in 18 century homes. I don't think I will ever go down that road again, The money is good but it is 24 - 7 and the price to be paid is very high. These days I run a division of somebody else's company. I still put in a lot of time but I can still let it go at the end of the day most of the time. I would love to get together for a ride around the city some time. I just started commuting again yesterday, Turns out my new route is 17 miles each way, It will take a few weeks to adjust to riding again.
Old 03-17-10, 06:34 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
What a great day for a ride, rolled out a quick 20 after work today. Will have more time after work Thur. / Fri. so I can get more miles in.
Old 03-18-10, 01:13 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Zipp and Dmann, I know you guys are out riding those Wachusett, north of Worcester, made for Major Taylor, hills.
Timber of the healed head, I hope you're working up to the 17 mile commuter but in this weather it must be sweet. Throw in a few long rides as you get closer and P-town will be a breeze with those miles. If You're biking in the Bridgewater area, I was just in Carver area. Very nice biking roads and Dave's Diner in Middleboro is like a magnet to my compass.
Mtalinm, Janders, Ortcuttt and bikinggrrl, how go the washed roads?

I rode through 6 inches of water on Claybrook in Dover and several 1/2inch "wash" areas. I hummed and hawed about what to wear in this warm weather but my bike was very clear about the fenders.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 03-21-10 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-10, 02:54 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The 17 mile commute is not that bad, My 2nd day was much better than the 1st. I had no pain at all from the saddle and I hit my hills much better. I did the ride home in 1 hour 13 minutes with an average speed of 13.5 mph over 17 miles. I figure that is respectable considering my bike is a Trek 7.2 hybrid. I think I will do a 45 mile ride on Saturday and see how I feel. I am going to run the full route from my house to work & back. That will be 22 miles each way, that is my goal over the next month is to move my commute to that distance 4 days a week. I am riding from East Bridgewater to Mansfield & I have discovered a sweet route through google bike routes. I would like to get the 17 mile ride down to an hour,then I will move to the 22 mile route.

Old 03-19-10, 08:30 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Hey Timber 8 I like the bike set-up, how do you like the handlebar set-up ? Are you able to use the aero bars much on your commute ? I had to much to do Thursday , but was able to roll out 25 miles today. The weather looks great for Saturday so I'm hoping for a longer ride, just have to get out early before my daughter comes for a visit.
Old 03-19-10, 11:31 PM
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBP...today a quick ride along and finally across the Nashua to view the flood damage as the river recedes revealing quite the mess. Still many flooded fields along Rte 110 and behind Lancaster center. Many roads still covered in mud with water running out of the woods. I have yet to clean the bike, every ride leaves me wet and thankful my property is well above the flood plain.
Old 03-20-10, 03:17 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Hey Timber 8 I like the bike set-up, how do you like the handlebar set-up ? Are you able to use the aero bars much on your commute ? I had to much to do Thursday , but was able to roll out 25 miles today. The weather looks great for Saturday so I'm hoping for a longer ride, just have to get out early before my daughter comes for a visit.
I use the aero bars quite a bit on my downhill runs and flat road. When I'm strong and running at a good clip they make it easier to maintain the pace longer. The butterfly bars are new this year and I can not say enough good thing about those. I can't use a bar bag because of the aero bars and I found that Nashbar rack & bag for short money on line. I use it for the critical gear that never leave the bike & it works great to hold the battery pack for the lamp in both mounting positions. It is a great commuter/century bike. I am changing out the peddles today & going clipless, the stock peddles are starting to feel sloppy. I want to change to clipples early in my training this year anyway.

Last edited by Timber_8; 03-20-10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 11:57 AM
Life Is Good

Was able to get out on my 35 mile loop this morning. It was great to see other riders out on the road (13) I never saw this many in any of my rides last year.
Old 03-20-10, 04:39 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up some SPD clipless peddles this morning and some nice slippers. I have never use anything but flat peddles in my life, what a difference. I played with them for about 15 minutes and got a 46 mile ride in. What a gorgeous day. I'll be laying off the bike for a few days. Sounds like the weather is going bad again
Old 03-21-10, 09:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42 miles: Cambridge to Bedford to Carlisle to Concord and back again. I mounted a new Brooks Swift, and it's breaking in nicely. But I made a series of misjudgments: 1) The distance bordered on the excessive, since I've done extremely little riding over the past six months beyond commuting. 2) I pushed too hard into the headwind that dogged me on the return home. 3) At my stop in Concord, I didn't eat enough. As a consequence, I bonked halfway through the return, and pretty severely: dizziness, shivering, the whole business. Oh well -- carried away by spring fever, I suppose.
Old 03-21-10, 10:23 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ortcutt
42 miles: Cambridge to Bedford to Carlisle to Concord and back again. I mounted a new Brooks Swift, and it's breaking in nicely. But I made a series of misjudgments: 1) The distance bordered on the excessive, since I've done extremely little riding over the past six months beyond commuting. 2) I pushed too hard into the headwind that dogged me on the return home. 3) At my stop in Concord, I didn't eat enough. As a consequence, I bonked halfway through the return, and pretty severely: dizziness, shivering, the whole business. Oh well -- carried away by spring fever, I suppose.
I did 46 miles yesterday, I ate before I left and also experienced a head wind on my way out. I went from East Bridgewater to Mansfield to my buddy's house for about 45 minutes. I refilled my water & headed back. I did fine but when I got home that when my body failed me. I was starving and I could barley keep my eyes open. I have been off the bike since November and have only done two 34 mile round trip commutes to work and the 46 mile yesterday. I think my mistake was not eating along the way back. I didn't push to hard but I did crank out some hill climes to enjoy the out of the saddle coast down the other side. I didn't feel tired at all till I sat in my recliner, I would have probably failed right then if I wasn't so dam hungry. I was in such a hurry to go for a run I forgot to lube the chain & I never forget to do that.
Old 03-21-10, 11:06 AM

Bikes: old Merlin, Santana Beyond, & a mommy bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice little water adventure yesterday. 126 past Walden pond in Concord/Lincoln is beautiful ~ I'm so glad they did all that work last year. 117 was closed off though. Was headed towards Sherman bridge but that too was closed off so continued on to Wayland and caught 27 from there. Should have predicted that the other end of Water Row would be flooded but went past the barrier on Route 27 anyway. Water was a little deeper than it looked and all six feet got wet (4 on the tandem; 2 little ones in the trailer). But I confess it sure was nice to cycle up that hill headed into Sudbury without any traffic streaming past.

No worries though. The sun was warm and the little guy was highly amused at our pitstop to empty water from shoes and trailer.
Old 03-21-10, 09:47 PM
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pushed too hard into the headwind
That east wind was ugly, I should have worn the leg warmers, hoping too hard for spring!
Old 03-22-10, 03:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinggrrrl
Nice little water adventure yesterday. 126 past Walden pond in Concord/Lincoln is beautiful ~ I'm so glad they did all that work last year. 117 was closed off though. Was headed towards Sherman bridge but that too was closed off so continued on to Wayland and caught 27 from there. Should have predicted that the other end of Water Row would be flooded but went past the barrier on Route 27 anyway. Water was a little deeper than it looked and all six feet got wet (4 on the tandem; 2 little ones in the trailer). But I confess it sure was nice to cycle up that hill headed into Sudbury without any traffic streaming past.

No worries though. The sun was warm and the little guy was highly amused at our pitstop to empty water from shoes and trailer.
Sudbury Road west of Rt. 2 is flooded out as well. Was on Saturday.
Old 03-24-10, 01:21 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm off to a rough start this year, I caught this nasty cough & deep congestion going around my office. I think it might be best to stay off the bike this week. The weather isn't that great anyway. Maybe get a nice ride in this weekend and restart Monday on the commute
Old 03-24-10, 10:48 PM
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked on climbing in todays blustery chilly conditions, it seemed uphill all the way
Old 03-26-10, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by dmann
I worked on climbing in todays blustery chilly conditions, it seemed uphill all the way
Dmann, good for you for getting out. The warm spell made today''s quick cold snap and snow feel much colder. I rode my trainer indoors in avatar land. Bah.
Old 03-28-10, 10:50 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like we are going to get another drenching to keep the roads under water. I guess it is a good week to be sick. I'm still out of the game. Maybe Thursday and next weekend
Old 03-29-10, 08:06 AM

Ok, all this rain requires as much a sense of humor as raingear and fortitude. Sometimes humor is pretty tough to come by.
https://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1399668.html

Beware the tides of March!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chinese rain.jpg (39.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-29-10, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this soaking going to flood the roads in Metro west? Ya know, the beautiful quiet roads. Or will they dry out before then?
Old 03-29-10, 11:35 PM
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even today, the Nashua was still out of its banks and into the fields around Lancaster, though most of the closed roads have reopened. This round-o-rain will make a soggy mess yet again, hopefully not as bad as last week. The Wachusett reservoir is full up, no place for the water to go but over the spillway and into the river. I've joined Sherborn, back on the trainer after such the tease...... March in New England is never dull
Old 03-30-10, 03:35 PM
Life Is Good

Hey dmann i'll be riding thru your area Thru - Sun., the weather is looking real good for later this week. I finished putting the summer bike back together
and will do a shakedown ride out toward Lancaster/Clinton after work Thur. Off Friday so will do the Wachusett Res. loop Fri. and most likely Sun. after church. Sat I'm going to hit
Worcester Airport and roll thru that area on the way home. Drop me a pm if you want to join in along the route.
Old 03-30-10, 08:46 PM

Zipp,
Can you put fenders on your rig?
I'm re-attaching my rubber banded plastic fenders for (call me pessimistic) puddles and road crossing streams (and stream crossing roads). The forecast is too good in terms of (legendary) sun and warm temps.
The alternative is a wet bottom and soggy feet. I extended the trailing end of both fenders with slices of plastic bottles and am optimistic.
Old 03-31-10, 04:45 PM
Life Is Good

Can't put fenders on a zipp, I'll take getting wet because the weather is to good to pass up. I glued a new tubular on the disc the other day, so I'll run that for kicks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zipp6.jpg (103.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-01-10, 11:30 AM
dmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp......wow, outrageous ride...u da man! Rides: I'm working tonight so that puts any Friday ride into the mid - late afternoon, which is typical for me due to my work schedule. This weekend is still foggy, I need to put some (actually a lot of) time into the yard and Sunday we have an away game (visiting family). Possibly quick ride on Saturday?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.