Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Headbadge re-mounting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Headbadge re-mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:00 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've tried drive screws (AKA screw nails) and found that I didn't like the look of the head - larger and more round than the original. Nor have I had any luck with brass screws. It seems that every frame I've worked with has different diameter holes. I've since used rivets that I've made from short lengths of solid copper wire. I first form the head on the wire by inserting it into a shallow hole drilled into a piece of metal and then using a small punch with a concave end to round it off. The punch is just a bolt that I've modified by grinding the concavity into the end. To install the head badge, I place the head tube over a short piece of iron pipe clamped to a bench, insert the formed rivet through the hole, and then use the same concave punch to expand the back end against the pipe.
Old 01-10-20, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've since used rivets that I've made from short lengths of solid copper wire. I first form the head on the wire by inserting it into a shallow hole drilled into a piece of metal and then using a small punch with a concave end to round it off. The punch is just a bolt that I've modified by grinding the concavity into the end. To install the head badge, I place the head tube over a short piece of iron pipe clamped to a bench, insert the formed rivet through the hole, and then use the same concave punch to expand the back end against the pipe.
This is potentially the best all-around solution I've heard of. Any chance you could share some images?
Old 01-13-20, 11:09 AM
Half way there

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
This is potentially the best all-around solution I've heard of. Any chance you could share some images?
Sure:
1. Picture of the bolt that I form the rivet head with as well as drive the rivet through the headbadge/headtube. You can form the concavity with a drill bit or dremel tool and then taper it.

2. This is the device that I use to form the head. It's just 2 plates of aluminum with a short hole drilled through the joint. The plates are clamped together when forming the head. The head forming process will expand the shaft of the wire in the hole so this split plate system is necessary in order to get the formed rivet out.

3. Here's what the finished product looks like:

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-13-20, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
I have 198 extra drive screws in sizes 00 and 0 that I bought from McMaster-Carr. I'm happy to put a few of each size in an envelope to you, just let me know. PM is fine.
that would be amazing. PM on the way
Old 01-13-20, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Sure:
1. Picture of the bolt that I form the rivet head with as well as drive the rivet through the headbadge/headtube. You can form the concavity with a drill bit or dremel tool and then taper it.

2. This is the device that I use to form the head. It's just 2 plates of aluminum with a short hole drilled through the joint. The plates are clamped together when forming the head. The head forming process will expand the shaft of the wire in the hole so this split plate system is necessary in order to get the formed rivet out.

3. Here's what the finished product looks like:

Looks fantastic!

Do you know if you used 12 gauge wire or 14 gauge wire?
Old 01-14-20, 06:26 AM

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I also created rivets from 12awg copper wire for my Raleigh. I drilled a hole in hardwood (maple or oak) to hold the stubby little length of copper wire. I then and "tap tap tap" formed a head with my quite small ball peen hammer. Inserted each one from inside the head tube and backed that on an iron bar, clamped in the vice. I then put the headbadge on and "tap tap tap" formed a wee head on the outside. No where as nice as those copper rivets shown above but just as functional. It's all held for 6 years now. Not much stress on a headbadge.

I much prefer the subtle look vs drive screws or the large rivets that Raleigh and Carlton used on some head badges.
Old 01-14-20, 08:46 AM
Half way there

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Looks fantastic!

Do you know if you used 12 gauge wire or 14 gauge wire?
I use mostly 12 gauge but have used 10 gauge for some headtubes with bigger holes. 14 gauge would likely be too thin,
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-14-20, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I use mostly 12 gauge but have used 10 gauge for some headtubes with bigger holes. 14 gauge would likely be too thin,
Perfect, I have a Raleigh Headbadge I'll be reinstall in a couple weeks :-)