Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's the worst part about loving old cantilevers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What's the worst part about loving old cantilevers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 12:04 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I don’t know why anyone would be in ‘love’ with cantis other than for the classic look factor. V-brakes clearly have the superior mechanical stopping leverage.
When cantilever brakes were first introduced, they were considered exotic and were used mainly on high-end touring bikes.

When Shimano's "V" brakes were first introduced, they were initially referred to as direct-pull cantilevers.

One of the main differences is that traditional cantilevers have a variable mechanical advantage whereas V-brakes had a fixed mechanical advantage.

IMO the popularity of V-brakes is largely due to the fact that they can be installed and setup by just about anyone. The proper setup of a cantilever requires a skilled bicycle mechanic with experience in that area.

Consumers have for the most part consistently traded performance for price and convenience in just about thing you can think of - including bicycle accessories.

Magura's hydraulic brakes and Shimano's XTR and XT parallel push V-Brakes outperformed anything else on the market in braking power. But not in price.

So performance obviously isn't the only criteria. And brakes are like everything else. There's a wide range of quality in both V-brakes and traditional cantilever designs. Some are junk and some perform extraordinarily well. A decent cantilever set up properly can easily outperform any of the plastic coated stamped steel V-brakes found on most department store bikes.

No - I have no particularly bias. Personally I own bikes with all of them including those XTR parallel push V-brakes mentioned. They all work well if properly installed and maintained.
Old 01-23-12, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I have a set of old xt canti's. In my case the plastic cover just made it easier to adjust which hole on the bike the spring went into without taking the brake entirely off the bike. I think 2 or 3 of the plastic covers have broken making the adjustments a lot more of a pain (but part of the pain is the way my front rack attaches making me take it off when I want to adjust which hole the spring is in), but they're still perfectly usable. This isn't the case with yours? Sounds like a dumb design (not that the design on mine was any better. A few extra cents for them to have made that plate out of metal and the brakes would still be awesome.

Old 01-23-12, 12:56 PM
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I generally like the modulation of cantis better than Vees. If I'm on a project that warrants purchase of new brakes I typically go for V-brakes however, for simplicity's sake and bang-for-buck.
+1. Once I learned how to set-up center pull cantilever brakes I generally prefer them >> v-brakes. V-brakes have terrible modulation and are not adjustable -- basically a center pull cantilever stuck in the extremely high leverage/extremely low travel position. ..not a true mechanic's brake . They are easy to set-up though, no doubt about it.

Tough break on those brakes! For my $, I actually prefer the hated tektro oryx over other cantilever brakes. They're cheap and work great. The CR 720's are decent, but interfere with my front rack and have very low leverage with mountain levers (but great travel). Hook yourself up
Old 01-23-12, 02:39 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When cantilever brakes were first introduced, they were considered exotic and were used mainly on high-end touring bikes.
perhaps before most people were born, reading this , ..

The Data Book, starts showing them in the 1946 section.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-23-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 02:50 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't always run cantilevers, but when I do, I look for the following features:
  • No plastic bits
  • Minimally exposed springs
  • V-style pad mounting (i.e., no post-style pads)
  • Self-contained pivots (i.e., brake does not rotate directly on canti boss/stud)
Old 01-23-12, 03:33 PM
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Data Book, starts showing them in the 1946 section
What book is this? Is it viewable online? It sounds interesting.

I don't always run cantilevers, but when I do, I look for the following features:
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Old 01-23-12, 03:50 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Data book , originally '83 Japan, of old French drawings
like those done by Daniel Rebour.. famed illustrator..
Reprinted in '98, by Bicycle Books of SF..

ISBN 1-892495-01-5
Old 01-23-12, 04:14 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
perhaps before most people were born, reading this , ..

The Data Book, starts showing them in the 1946 section.
LOL Thanks for the reference - I didn't realize they dated back that far. Regardless, I never saw a pair up close and personal myself until sometime in the 1980's and they were still considered a specialty item at that point.

But yikes - I can remember when things like flush toilets and showers and color TVs were new and unusual too

Yeah - we've got more 'stuff' today, I'm just not convinced we're more civilized .
Old 01-23-12, 05:30 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Fighting words! Bad cantis suck for sure, but a good pair of cantis are really nice and quite effective. Thanks to the new VO brake pad holders for them they are easy to swap out pads once you get them set-up the first time.

That, and aesthetically I find cantis more pleasing than V brakes.
no matter how good the cantis are, they have a flawed design from the start. The problem is the way the cable gets anchored to the frame. Any front end flex results in brake power changes that cause pulsing. No other brake on a bike does that.

Having used some tektro CR-720 on a bike with 1-1/4 steerer that shuddered no matter how the pads and brakes were adjusted, I find that cantis are just a waste of time.
Old 01-23-12, 06:09 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Guess I've been lucky. I've had plenty of canti equipped bikes and none exhibitted shudder. I even have one with cable stop in stem ATM.

My old Raleigh Sports had shudder, almost seemed like it was from fork blade flex in that case, but it didn't have cantis.
Old 01-23-12, 06:21 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
no matter how good the cantis are, they have a flawed design from the start. The problem is the way the cable gets anchored to the frame. Any front end flex results in brake power changes that cause pulsing. No other brake on a bike does that.

Having used some tektro CR-720 on a bike with 1-1/4 steerer that shuddered no matter how the pads and brakes were adjusted, I find that cantis are just a waste of time.
Are you really going to make a decision for life based on a poor introduction with a $30 brake?

I test drove a Kona Jake SE last year and the cantis sucked big time - at least compared to the cantis on the bike I normally drive. All that told me is that they were a poor choice to stick on an $1,100 bike and would be the first thing to upgrade - even if it meant only the pads.

And that's exactly the kind of info I'd be passing on to anyone potentially interested in buying the bike.

Last edited by Burton; 01-23-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 08:55 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Are you really going to make a decision for life based on a poor introduction with a $30 brake?

I test drove a Kona Jake SE last year and the cantis sucked big time - at least compared to the cantis on the bike I normally drive. All that told me is that they were a poor choice to stick on an $1,100 bike and would be the first thing to upgrade - even if it meant only the pads.

And that's exactly the kind of info I'd be passing on to anyone potentially interested in buying the bike.
CR-720 is one of the best cantis out there, and they worked perfectly on my CX bike. For some reason, they worked TOO well on my XC bike. When the cantis grip too hard, that's when you get shuddering.

If cantis work, they work, but when they don't, nothing will fix it. This is unlike other types of brakes available, where their problems are fixable with adjustment.
Old 01-23-12, 08:59 PM
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

You're entitled to your opinion, but you should realize that v-brakes are just a cantilever brake for idiots (in terms of adjustment, or lack thereof). V-brakes suffer from many things too, like barrel adjusters that barely do anything, crappy noodles with inner plastic liners that crack and cause friction, stirrups that bore out and fail, and **** for pad travel -- and you're powerless to do anything about it.

Learn to adjust cantilever brakes and mate them with proper levers and you'll probably like them a lot more. All my v-brakes sit in my parts bin, though I used to swear by them. Need any?
Old 01-23-12, 09:02 PM
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
CR-720 is one of the best cantis out there, and they worked perfectly on my CX bike. For some reason, they worked TOO well on my XC bike. When the cantis grip too hard, that's when you get shuddering.
Simple solution - https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1805

Shuttering merits no further discussion. Actually, I had one bike with mild shuttering that was never a big enough deal to bother with -- bike still stopped extremely well.
Old 01-23-12, 09:11 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
You're entitled to your opinion, but you should realize that v-brakes are just a cantilever brake for idiots (in terms of adjustment, or lack thereof). V-brakes suffer from many things too, like barrel adjusters that barely do anything, crappy noodles with inner plastic liners that crack and cause friction, stirrups that bore out and fail, and **** for pad travel -- and you're powerless to do anything about it.

Learn to adjust cantilever brakes and mate them with proper levers and you'll probably like them a lot more. All my v-brakes sit in my parts bin, though I used to swear by them. Need any?
nope, V-brakes do not require a solid frame or fork to work well. The cable can run entirely along the cable housing.
This is why cantis are flawed. They require some fixation point on the frame and if the frame flexes, you get a change in braking power.
Old 01-23-12, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO

to eliminate flex, use a Brake Booster, have them on all my cantis and works wonders.

actualy, as much as I love cantis, I had been thinking that perhaps a brake lever with adjustible mechanical advantage could enable a v-brake to work nicely.... only problem is that the only such levers i know of (avid speed dial) have short 2.5finger levers, thus safeguarding me from the dark side.

Or does anyone know of an adjustible lever that has old styled 4-5 finger long levers?
Old 01-23-12, 09:34 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
to eliminate flex, use a Brake Booster, have them on all my cantis and works wonders.

actualy, as much as I love cantis, I had been thinking that perhaps a brake lever with adjustible mechanical advantage could enable a v-brake to work nicely.... only problem is that the only such levers i know of (avid speed dial) have short 2.5finger levers, thus safeguarding me from the dark side.

Or does anyone know of an adjustible lever that has old styled 4-5 finger long levers?
brake booster + fork mounted cable anchor, various pads, shudder shudder shudder.
Old 01-24-12, 11:02 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
brake booster + fork mounted cable anchor, various pads, shudder shudder shudder.
So just out of curiosity, how exactly did you solve the shuddering problem on your XC bike and positively identify it as a cantilever brake issue and not anything to do with worn brake bushings or a damaged rim or a front fork problem?

I'm interested - seriously!
Old 01-24-12, 11:13 PM

Bikes: '97 Specialized rockhopper, '80s Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just switched my commuter over from V-Brakes to cantis for one big reason, centering.

No matter what I did I could not get my old v-brakes to center, I played with the adjustment screw and the mounting holes but one brake would alway overpower the other, pulling the weaker one into the sidewall causing rub.

Now that I have cantis, one side doesn't affect the other, the return spring doesn't fight the one on the other side and they are perfectly centered, no rub and work beautifully.

I am also using a very short straddle cable possible, creating a very high mechanical advantage and awesome stopping power.
Old 01-24-12, 11:22 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO

I've had 13 bikes equipped with cantilevers of various levels of quality from the lowest Shimano to Paul's. Of the 13, 4 have been on road bikes including two touring bikes and two tandems while the other 9 were on mountain bikes. I've never had a single one shudder or have braking problems...and I live where gravity gets you moving quickly very easily. On one of the tandems, I even removed the drum brake and left the cantilevers to handle all of the braking duties. There's really nothing wrong with them if they are set up properly.

Now I have had brakes that squeal horribly...the Avid Shorty 4s were almost the worst offenders. The worst squealers I've ever run were the XT linear brakes. I'm sure the echos of those brakes are still reverberating around the mountains of Colorado.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-24-12, 11:26 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Dstreelm
No matter what I did I could not get my old v-brakes to center, I played with the adjustment screw and the mounting holes but one brake would alway overpower the other, pulling the weaker one into the sidewall causing rub.
If one screw keeps overpowering the other the simple solution is to tighten both of them so both sides have some real tension to work with.

I don't understand the complaints of poor modulation on V-brakes. It just takes a trained hand to operate them. I put Kool Stop pads on my V-brake MTB to make them even stronger. I like being able to jam the brakes with a couple fingers and stop on a dime, rather than hanging on for dear life with a canti and still barely able to lift the rear wheel with the front brake.
Old 01-24-12, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
So performance obviously isn't the only criteria. And brakes are like everything else. There's a wide range of quality in both V-brakes and traditional cantilever designs. Some are junk and some perform extraordinarily well. A decent cantilever set up properly can easily outperform any of the plastic coated stamped steel V-brakes found on most department store bikes.
Point well taken, the discussion about brakes can get contentious. I would emphasize your point about the ease of set-up and maintenance of ‘linear pull’ brakes and simple mechanical advantage. Yes, that; and they are probably cheaper to produce. Conceptually, I prefer the idea of a cable centered over the wheel providing a quick and even distribution of braking force to the pads and rims. However; in reality, IMO that rarely happens. I like them, but it takes an experienced person to set up a canti properly, and side-pulls are practically idiot-proof and just as, if not more, powerful.
Old 01-25-12, 12:20 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I don’t know why anyone would be in ‘love’ with cantis other than for the classic look factor. V-brakes clearly have the superior mechanical stopping leverage.
Ran XTR cantis on my hybrid tourer... only way to stop faster was to drive into a parked vehicle and have many sets of cantis in use and have used them singly up front on fixed gear bikes with no lack of stopping power.

The 55 year old Mafacs here work just fine and will probably last another 55.

Old 01-25-12, 12:28 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've had 13 bikes equipped with cantilevers of various levels of quality from the lowest Shimano to Paul's. Of the 13, 4 have been on road bikes including two touring bikes and two tandems while the other 9 were on mountain bikes. I've never had a single one shudder or have braking problems...and I live where gravity gets you moving quickly very easily. On one of the tandems, I even removed the drum brake and left the cantilevers to handle all of the braking duties. There's really nothing wrong with them if they are set up properly.

Now I have had brakes that squeal horribly...the Avid Shorty 4s were almost the worst offenders. The worst squealers I've ever run were the XT linear brakes. I'm sure the echos of those brakes are still reverberating around the mountains of Colorado.
Shorty 4's were the bane of my existence as well... run XT linears on my mtb with no issues and they are mated to Avid levers and this can make a difference.

The XTR linear pull is also known to be pretty noisy until you pair it with XT or LX levers... seems like a small change in the lever makes quite a difference.
Old 01-25-12, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
only way to stop faster was to drive into a parked vehicle
I’m destined to lose this argument up against such powerful forces. However, running out to buy cantis because of the glow of some of the best bike mechs on this forum may not be a good idea for the novice. Cantilever brakes may have the braking power of side-pulls when properly set-up, but they require a lot of things to work properly together to be as good as they can be. Side-pull brakes are pretty idiot-proof and the leverage achieved from the short pull of the cable from the side is why they replaced cantis on MTB’s. That and because they are cheaper to produce, granted.

I feel conflicted because I should be on the other side of this argument.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.